Un-Needed Aspects of Pokémon

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Guys I would like to remind you that talking about how X learns something while Y does not is not exactly the topic of this thread...

Also yeah the censor is kinda a necessary aspect of the games now since Nintendo wants their games to be family friendly and they would probably cop a lot of crap if they allowed people to run around trading their Pokémon named "Fuck You" to randoms. The issue is that it is not exactly smart and is context-free, which causes things like Viola and Conkeldurr to be censored... How is the game supposed to know that the Pokémon you called "Viola" is a normal name and not a hidden insult or something? It might need a little bit of intelligence and context improvement so things like Cofagrigus do not get banned in the future but I doubt it will happen... But an improvement to the censor for "exceptions" might make things a lot better.

Also agreeing that the decorations thing from Pokémon Amie is pretty useless and un-needed. They are pretty much there purely for aesthetic purposes but unlike something like say character customisation, it does not really add anything to the game or enhance the experience for the players.

Guys I would like to remind you that talking about how X learns something while Y does not is not exactly the topic of this thread...

Also yeah the censor is kinda a necessary aspect of the games now since Nintendo wants their games to be family friendly and they would probably cop a lot of crap if they allowed people to run around trading their Pokémon named "Fuck You" to randoms. The issue is that it is not exactly smart and is context-free, which causes things like Viola and Conkeldurr to be censored... How is the game supposed to know that the Pokémon you called "Viola" is a normal name and not a hidden insult or something? It might need a little bit of intelligence and context improvement so things like Cofagrigus do not get banned in the future but I doubt it will happen... But an improvement to the censor for "exceptions" might make things a lot better.

Also agreeing that the decorations thing from Pokémon Amie is pretty useless and un-needed. They are pretty much there purely for aesthetic purposes but unlike something like say character customisation, it does not really add anything to the game or enhance the experience for the players.
It`s the only way you can evolve eevee into sylveon, though.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It`s the only way you can evolve eevee into sylveon, though.
I never said Pokémon Amie itself was unneeded lol, just the decorations thing where you bond with your Pokémon and gain decorations for the thing on the touchscreen. Pokémon Amie itself is fine but it is just that aspect of it (Sylveon can be obtained purely through bonding and not through the whole decorations thing).

I just thought of something that hasn't been needed in a long time: "Deposit Pokémon" and "Withdraw Pokémon". When was the last time you used this? Thanks to the visual interface we've had since Ruby and Sapphire (and combined with the touch interface we've had since HeartGold and SoulSilver which keeps getting improved with each new game), they've been more or less replaced with "Move Pokémon" / "Organize Boxes" feature. The only time I use "Deposit Pokémon" is by accident with me pressing the A button too many times and I never use "Withdraw Pokémon". At the very least, put "Organize Boxes" on top. It would save so much time.

I just thought of something that hasn't been needed in a long time: "Deposit Pokémon" and "Withdraw Pokémon". When was the last time you used this? Thanks to the visual interface we've had since Ruby and Sapphire (and combined with the touch interface we've had since HeartGold and SoulSilver which keeps getting improved with each new game), they've been more or less replaced with "Move Pokémon" / "Organize Boxes" feature. The only time I use "Deposit Pokémon" is by accident with me pressing the A button too many times and I never use "Withdraw Pokémon". At the very least, put "Organize Boxes" on top. It would save so much time.
Eh, I disagree. When I'm hatching eggs, I usually find it a lot easier to deposit Pokemon instead of dragging them around. Saves about three seconds, but I'm an impatient person. I'd be annoyed if that aspect was removed tbh.

Eh, I disagree. When I'm hatching eggs, I usually find it a lot easier to deposit Pokemon instead of dragging them around. Saves about three seconds, but I'm an impatient person. I'd be annoyed if that aspect was removed tbh.
Well, like I said, we could just put "Deposit" and "Withdraw" below "Organize Boxes" cause 9/10, you're doing more than simply dumping things into the PC.

here's one. Slow start. Regigigas doesn't need deserve an ability THAT bad, unless GF is about to make up for it somehow. The king of golems does not deserve to be worse than the ones it created.

synchronoise: why does this exist? It hits exactly 3 types without considering the whole "hits no other types but your own" thing even a new player with little to no experience will realize how bad a move it is.

the x and y haunted house: this is for obvious reasons.

the in game character nickname: not only was this REALLY pointless but it also disregards the censorship system considering the character nickname I chose was"badass"

furfrou styling: need I say any more?

here's one. Slow start. Regigigas doesn't need deserve an ability THAT bad, unless GF is about to make up for it somehow. The king of golems does not deserve to be worse than the ones it created.

synchronoise: why does this exist? It hits exactly 3 types without considering the whole "hits no other types but your own" thing even a new player with little to no experience will realize how bad a move it is.

the x and y haunted house: this is for obvious reasons.

the in game character nickname: not only was this REALLY pointless but it also disregards the censorship system considering the character nickname I chose was"badass"

furfrou styling: need I say any more?
Slow Start really should have been for perhaps one turn, not five full turns. I pity Regigigas for suffering this way too harsh nerf of an ability.

Synchronoise can actually hit every type Eevee can evolve into (unless Dark is still immune to it) and Fighting if a male Ralts is bred with it and evolves into Gallade...but it's still pretty much complete garbage and unneeded.

The 'Scary House' was so bad I didn't even tip the guy telling the story. Route 14 is still pretty creepy with the reaching arm-like branches, at least. But the Lost Hotel on Route 15/16 is scarier than the 'Scary House', and even then it's hardly that scary. I'll stick with the Old Chateau and Strange House.

Well, I guess it's meant to make the NPC's feel more like your friends in the game, and since it is just in-game the censorship system doesn't need to be applied to it. I still agree that it's kind of pointless.

However, I think the Furfrou styling was kind of a neat idea. People give various crazy hairstyles to poodles, and Furfrou is pretty much based on a poodle, so why not? Would have been nice however if it didn't revert to its default coat when boxed. Not so sure about the after about a week part.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Guys, I think that the Scary House was very obviously bad on purpose. When you leave your friends literally say "well that wasn't very good" or something along those lines. It was humourously bad, but I didn't really like it anyway. It wasn't funny enough, IMO.

The most un-needed aspect of Pokemon is what GameFreak has considered its sacred cow all but one time (Yellow): a starter trio based on a two stage evolution path and a rock-paper-scissors balance. I know why they do it like this but it is so very unnecessary and changing this formula could open up many new experiences. Indeed Yellow is proof that this can be done and should be done.

This doesn't really apply anymore and they fixed it up in HGSS and they should be fixing it again in ORAS
But something really really really fucking dumb about FRLG is that any Pokémon beyond #151 didn't exist in the game until you got the national dex.
Seriously, this was just absolutely ridiculous and unneeded. Johto and Hoenn Pokémon literally don't exist until you've gotten the national dex even if you try to trade them over - the game will ACTUALLY PREVENT TRADING from any game if you're trying to trade over anything from #152 to #386. And hell, if you try to trade over an Onix holding a Metal Coat to a Firered that doesn't have the national dex yet? Oh look it's prevented from evolving. And if you try to hack gen 2-3 Pokémon to appear in the wild? Well, they just show up as massive question mark icons. So they don't exist in the game's programming, the fuck.
They even went so far as to remove time from the game so you can't evolve Eevee into Espeon and Umbreon EVER, and while friendship still exists Chansey and Golbat are prevented from evolving until after you get the national dex.
I mean... really? What's the point of this? Would it really have hurt that one genwunner's nostalgia so bad if someone happened to trade them a Tropius? What was actually the point?

This doesn't really apply anymore and they fixed it up in HGSS and they should be fixing it again in ORAS
But something really really really fucking dumb about FRLG is that any Pokémon beyond #151 didn't exist in the game until you got the national dex.
Seriously, this was just absolutely ridiculous and unneeded. Johto and Hoenn Pokémon literally don't exist until you've gotten the national dex even if you try to trade them over - the game will ACTUALLY PREVENT TRADING from any game if you're trying to trade over anything from #152 to #386. And hell, if you try to trade over an Onix holding a Metal Coat to a Firered that doesn't have the national dex yet? Oh look it's prevented from evolving. And if you try to hack gen 2-3 Pokémon to appear in the wild? Well, they just show up as massive question mark icons. So they don't exist in the game's programming, the fuck.
They even went so far as to remove time from the game so you can't evolve Eevee into Espeon and Umbreon EVER, and while friendship still exists Chansey and Golbat are prevented from evolving until after you get the national dex.
I mean... really? What's the point of this? Would it really have hurt that one genwunner's nostalgia so bad if someone happened to trade them a Tropius? What was actually the point?
The point (the incredibly stupid point that they at least partially backed out on later dwon the line*) probably WAS nostalgia. It's a relatively strict remake, really. I guess they just REALLY REALLY wanted you to relive RGB with only a graphical make over and few assorted other things

*For some reason HGSS didn't add the new item-based & location-based evolutions to the New Pokedex, but at least you could still trade & evolve freely

Last edited:
The point (the incredibly stupid point that they at least partially backed out on later dwon the line*) probably WAS nostalgia. It's a relatively strict remake, really. I guess they just REALLY REALLY wanted you to relive RGB with only a graphical make over and few assorted other things

*For some reason HGSS didn't add the new item-based & location-based evolutions to the New Pokedex, but at least you could still trade & evolve freely
Actually, some evolutionary items did exist in HGSS, but they weren't available until after you had beaten the Elite Four.

The most un-needed aspect of Pokemon is what GameFreak has considered its sacred cow all but one time (Yellow): a starter trio based on a two stage evolution path and a rock-paper-scissors balance. I know why they do it like this but it is so very unnecessary and changing this formula could open up many new experiences. Indeed Yellow is proof that this can be done and should be done.
There's a point where you change the experience too much. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But recent games have added little twists to this. In BW you are given the elemental monkey that beats your rival's starter to compensate. In XY the starters' secondary typings have a rock-paper-scissors balance that inverts that of their primary typings, leading to a situation where no Pokemon has a clear advantage over any other. It's hardly revolutionary, but like others have said, the FWG starter thing is pretty sacrosanct by now, and is a great way of introducing new kids who have never played an RPG before (and it's worth remembering that they are still the games' target audience) the concept of elemental rock-paper-scissors.

In XY the starters' secondary typings have a rock-paper-scissors balance that inverts that of their primary typings, leading to a situation where no Pokemon has a clear advantage over any other.
Actually, they didn't. Greninja's two STABs (without Protean) hit both of Delphox's types. Delphox's hit both of Chesnaught's and Chesnaught's hits both of Greninja's.

I like synchronoise on my Sigilyph for sky battles, mostly because a 120 BP STAB attack thrown at most sky battle pokemon is a pretty big hit. But, I can understand why people don't like it or think it stupid.

I like synchronoise on my Sigilyph for sky battles, mostly because a 120 BP STAB attack thrown at most sky battle pokemon is a pretty big hit. But, I can understand why people don't like it or think it stupid.
I will never forget losing a Gen V NU match when my ready-to-sweep Combusken was unexpectedly KO'd by a Synchronoise Flareon...

I will never forget losing a Gen V NU match when my ready-to-sweep Combusken was unexpectedly KO'd by a Synchronoise Flareon...
That's random.
While I agree that Synchronoise is waste of space (how about it does the 120 BP against Pokémon of the same type and have a lower BP when not), it can hit any non-Dark-type when used by Kecleon (who can be any type).

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I guess this isn't quite an unneeded aspect but the breedable trade economy needs a little bit of adjustment since currently, male Pokemon are generally in much less demand than female Pokemon. The only exceptions are male-only species or rarer things like shinies/Hidden Powers. This is because female Pokemon have a greater chance of passing Hidden Abilities than a male + Ditto does or passing optimal regular abilities 80% of the time in addition to passing on those pretty aesthetic Pokeballs. I used to RNG teams full of female Pokemon for "girl power" but now my teams are full of males who I was given for almost free because they are unwanted by collectors due to their reduced trade value.

Don't get me wrong, I like the changes to breeding mechanics this gen. However, to fix this trade economy problem, if Gamfreak asked me I would suggest nerfing Dittos for species with even gender ratios (basically anything with 50/50 ratios) so breeding genderless Pokemon or stuff with shit female ratios isn't screwed but male Pokemon have a little more value. As is, you can basically put a flawless foreign Ditto and a female with the appropriate egg moves and ability in the Daycare and you won't ever have a need for a male Pokemon.

It's really annoying to have to add gender to my odds of hatching a flawless Pokemon. With flawless Pokemon, you have a 1/16 chance of hatching a flawless female HA whatever for 50/50 species. It would help a lot to reduce my chances to 1/8 and make trading a bit easier. Maybe you all might not agree with my solution but anyone who has done any trading or breeding might recognize my point.

I guess this isn't quite an unneeded aspect but the breedable trade economy needs a little bit of adjustment since currently, male Pokemon are generally in much less demand than female Pokemon. The only exceptions are male-only species or rarer things like shinies/Hidden Powers. This is because female Pokemon have a greater chance of passing Hidden Abilities than a male + Ditto does or passing optimal regular abilities 80% of the time in addition to passing on those pretty aesthetic Pokeballs. I used to RNG teams full of female Pokemon for "girl power" but now my teams are full of males who I was given for almost free because they are unwanted by collectors due to their reduced trade value.

Don't get me wrong, I like the changes to breeding mechanics this gen. However, to fix this trade economy problem, if Gamfreak asked me I would suggest nerfing Dittos for species with even gender ratios (basically anything with 50/50 ratios) so breeding genderless Pokemon or stuff with shit female ratios isn't screwed but male Pokemon have a little more value. As is, you can basically put a flawless foreign Ditto and a female with the appropriate egg moves and ability in the Daycare and you won't ever have a need for a male Pokemon.

It's really annoying to have to add gender to my odds of hatching a flawless Pokemon. With flawless Pokemon, you have a 1/16 chance of hatching a flawless female HA whatever for 50/50 species. It would help a lot to reduce my chances to 1/8 and make trading a bit easier. Maybe you all might not agree with my solution but anyone who has done any trading or breeding might recognize my point.
What an awful idea. We have users who give out free
Flawless Dittos. Ditto is easy & fast, no one should have to spend forever trying to breed pokemon. All nerfing Ditto does is make it harder for people to obtain pokemon. Sorry if it makes yours less valuable but it makes more sense for breeding to be easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)