Un-Needed Aspects of Pokémon

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What an awful idea. We have users who give out free
Flawless Dittos. Ditto is easy & fast, no one should have to spend forever trying to breed pokemon. All nerfing Ditto does is make it harder for people to obtain pokemon. Sorry if it makes yours less valuable but it makes more sense for breeding to be easier.
How dare people have to actually TRADE with each other to get parents. Do you want to know why the Wi-Fi community was non-existent until this gen? Because it was "fast and easy" for everyone. At least the ones who took the time to learn how to RNG abuse, or downloaded everything off Pokecheck.

Also people managed to do just fine before Pokebank (and Powersaves), so no, it's not difficult, much less "taking forever" for people to get flawless Pokemon without your stat sticks. It was quite wonderful actually, and there was no fear of hacks. QQ if you're not handed everything on a silver platter and you actually have to work up. Btw this is about a digital economy and not game mechanics.

The rate for Hidden Ability passing is the same when Male + Ditto or Female + Male.
Oh, I thought it was 40% vs 60%?

EDIT: Kurona : 80% is for regular ability. I thought 40% is for Ditto + male HA but it's still a moot point since the value is still disparate.

Last edited:
Here's how ability passing works in Gen VI:
Female or Male+Ditto, regular ability = 80% pass chance (if 2 normal abilities)
Female or Male+Ditto, Hidden Ability = 60% pass chance, with 40% for other abilities (20% each if two)
And I've done a ton of breeding and this is accurate.

How dare people have to actually TRADE with each other to get parents. Do you want to know why the Wi-Fi community was non-existent until this gen? Because it was "fast and easy" for everyone. At least the ones who took the time to learn how to RNG abuse, or downloaded everything off Pokecheck.

Also people managed to do just fine before Pokebank (and Powersaves), so no, it's not difficult, much less "taking forever" for people to get flawless Pokemon without your stat sticks. It was quite wonderful actually, and there was no fear of hacks. QQ if you're not handed everything on a silver platter and you actually have to work up. Btw this is about a digital economy and not game mechanics.

Oh, I thought it was 40% vs 60%?

EDIT: Kurona : 80% is for regular ability. I thought 40% is for Ditto + male HA but it's still a moot point since the value is still disparate.
I vividly remember a strong wifi community, I don't know how you can say it was non-existent. RNG abuse took time. Breeding/TSV hatching still does, but less so and it's awesome. And I use to RNG abuse for everything in DPPt/HGSS.

I have to complain about some of the worst abilities. Though, some of you may disagree with my opinions, however.

First, the Normalize ability is clearly useless. Now I can no longer hit Ghost, Steel, and Rock types effectively?! Now why do they have to add another ability? We are now fine with Cute Charm is now fine as it is, until Normalize was added in order to turn Skitty into plain garbage :(

Second, I do not have any idea why they gave Archen and Archeops the ability "Defeatist". Why not give them something like Rock Head? It sucks to see a Pokemon have its HP to half, therefore halving its Attack and Defense stats.

Second, I do not have any idea why they gave Archen and Archeops the ability "Defeatist". Why not give them something like Rock Head? It sucks to see a Pokemon have its HP to half, therefore halving its Attack and Defense stats.
They gave Archen and Archeops Defeatist because it would be too powerfull otherwise. In some ability-changing OMs, Archeops is banned because of how strong it is without Defeatist.

I have to complain about some of the worst abilities. Though, some of you may disagree with my opinions, however.

First, the Normalize ability is clearly useless. Now I can no longer hit Ghost, Steel, and Rock types effectively?! Now why do they have to add another ability? We are now fine with Cute Charm is now fine as it is, until Normalize was added in order to turn Skitty into plain garbage :(

Actually, only the offensive stats are halved by Defeatist, not the defenses. But yeah, I agree with you about Normalize(why does that even exist?).

I kind of like Normalize, if nothing else than for the fact it is the precursor for Pixilate, Refrigerate, and Aerialate, all of which are pretty good abilities.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Actually, only the offensive stats are halved by Defeatist, not the defenses. But yeah, I agree with you about Normalize(why does that even exist?).
So you can Thunder Wave Ground types while they destroy you for being dumb enough to use Delcatty voluntarily.

i'd love it if male pokemon had more breeding value besides chaining egg moves. i'm glad females can pass egg moves now, that was a pain in the ass in earlier gens, but it makes the males pretty much useless and that's not interesting!

solution: male pokemon now pass poke balls down, not females. this makes all balls (besides cherish/master) legal with p much everything and makes it WAYYY easier to get the poke ball you want on something. you don't have to go hunting for an HA female to catch in a certain ball, and you can more easily change which ball the eggs have.

because the way breeding is now, with three things (hidden abilities, poke balls, and species; usually regular abilities as well) determined solely by the female, it's harder to get everything coordinated. shifting poke ball responsibility to the males would balance this out some.

failing that: species with a 12.5% female chance should have it as 25% instead. i don't care how this affects transfers to games with different mechanics. figure something out. i don't care, elekid was my first ever serious attempted breeding project and torchic was the third i ever finished and they were both awful experiences and i still haven't bothered with lucario because even though i have a nice breeding ditto now and don't need females for IVs, i still need them for the fucking poke balls.

i'd love it if male pokemon had more breeding value besides chaining egg moves. i'm glad females can pass egg moves now, that was a pain in the ass in earlier gens, but it makes the males pretty much useless and that's not interesting!

solution: male pokemon now pass poke balls down, not females. this makes all balls (besides cherish/master) legal with p much everything and makes it WAYYY easier to get the poke ball you want on something. you don't have to go hunting for an HA female to catch in a certain ball, and you can more easily change which ball the eggs have.

because the way breeding is now, with three things (hidden abilities, poke balls, and species; usually regular abilities as well) determined solely by the female, it's harder to get everything coordinated. shifting poke ball responsibility to the males would balance this out some.

failing that: species with a 12.5% female chance should have it as 25% instead. i don't care how this affects transfers to games with different mechanics. figure something out. i don't care, elekid was my first ever serious attempted breeding project and torchic was the third i ever finished and they were both awful experiences and i still haven't bothered with lucario because even though i have a nice breeding ditto now and don't need females for IVs, i still need them for the fucking poke balls.
But what about all the special pokeball females that would be made useless with males passing their pokeball down?

But what about all the special pokeball females that would be made useless with males passing their pokeball down?
they're still cool for breeding the species itself, and any IVs and egg moves they have... the transition may not be easy but it's a sacrifice i'm willing to make

Why not have it so that females pass their ball down as it is now, but male/genderless Pokemon pass down their balls when breeding with Ditto? It makes sense that the female passes her ball down when breeding as the offspring will be in her evolution family, but males shouldn't be barred from doing the same when stuck with the pink egg factory, and neither should genderless Pokemon.

However, the severely unbalanced male-female ratios in certain Pokemon species is dumb and unneeded. Even 75:25 (Abra for example) is/would have been perfectly fine. It doesn't make it harder to breed, it forces you to rely on the pink egg factory more. (which was right by the Day-Care in the generation gender and breeding were introduced, and fairly common at that)

They gave Archen and Archeops Defeatist because it would be too powerfull otherwise. In some ability-changing OMs, Archeops is banned because of how strong it is without Defeatist.
Or they could've simply made their base stats lower in the first place. That would make more sense.
At least with Slaking, it was for flavor reasons.

Or they could've simply made their base stats lower in the first place. That would make more sense.
At least with Slaking, it was for flavor reasons.
Eh personally I really like Archeops (and Slaking too, but irrelevant) and I think it's cool that they created a Pokemon so strong they had to nerf it with an ability like Defeatist. I use Archeops a lot in Rotation Battles and with Wish support the only thing that can bring him down is a OHKO and priority moves.

Personally, I like all the breeding mechanics exactly the way we have them. It makes breeding challenging without being tedious. I don't want any of it to change :I

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Eh personally I really like Archeops (and Slaking too, but irrelevant) and I think it's cool that they created a Pokemon so strong they had to nerf it with an ability like Defeatist. I use Archeops a lot in Rotation Battles and with Wish support the only thing that can bring him down is a OHKO and priority moves.

Personally, I like all the breeding mechanics exactly the way we have them. It makes breeding challenging without being tedious. I don't want any of it to change :I
It took me over a week to get a 5IV Cleffa with 2 5IV parents. Breeding (or IVs at least) still needs some improvements.

It took me over a week to get a 5IV Cleffa with 2 5IV parents. Breeding (or IVs at least) still needs some improvements.
/shrug. I'm a fan of breeding. I've taken anywhere between two minutes and a week to get the perfect Pokemon and that makes them more precious to me. Also, lots of people have luck with breeding so if you're not as fussy about OT and hatching locations then you could always trade with other people.

I agree.
Not only have I had that happen to me while I was breeding my Gengar back in November, I had a similar experience back in Gen IV just getting a nature, and with the Everstone, that was a 50% chance back then! It's like when you miss an impossible number of times with Will-O-Wisp despite the 85% accuracy. Sometimes, you just have shitty luck. They really have made IVs as easy as they should be without straight up spoon feeding them to us. Honestly, you should be glad you can get 5 perfect IVs without having to master RNG.
Sorry for the rant. I just feel people are complaining about luck rather being glad we have this ability without resorting to hacking or RNG abuse (not saying anything bad about RNG abuse, though).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I agree.

Not only have I had that happen to me while I was breeding my Gengar back in November, I had a similar experience back in Gen IV just getting a nature, and with the Everstone, that was a 50% chance back then! It's like when you miss an impossible number of times with Will-O-Wisp despite the 85% accuracy. Sometimes, you just have shitty luck. They really have made IVs as easy as they should be without straight up spoon feeding them to us. Honestly, you should be glad you can get 5 perfect IVs without having to master RNG.
Sorry for the rant. I just feel people are complaining about luck rather being glad we have this ability without resorting to hacking or RNG abuse (not saying anything bad about RNG abuse, though).
I have every right to complain when getting specific Hidden Powers is a bitch. Want a good HP Fire spread? Lol have fun with that.

I have every right to complain when getting specific Hidden Powers is a bitch. Want a good HP Fire spread? Lol have fun with that.
And that's the number one reason why I never use Hidden Power on my handheld (except the one time a friend gave me a Jolteon with Hidden Power Ice in Gen V). Getting the exact Hidden Power type you want will likely be a pain in the behind for Generations to come. At least they made the power a flat 60 instead of 30-70. Got to give Game Freak that.

lats

formerly lockiegengar12
Altering Cave in FRLG/Emerald. Considering all variants of Pokemon could be found in other locations in the game, just... useless.

(Admittedly, I found my first shiny, a zubat, in the Leaf Green Cave)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)