Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
Maybe this is just be being dumb about RNGing in general but I was calibrating about 15 times on HG and found these results

(13-487)1 (14-491)4 (13-487)1 (14-495)3 (14-493)2 (14-499) (14-497)5 (14-483) (3-945 and 49-505)??? (14-495)3 (14-511) (13-491)4 (14-493)2 (14-497)5 (14-503)

What exactly are the values I can use? x_x
Well since the values are only 1/30th of a second apart, go with the middle one, cutting out extreme edge values.

I'm planning on RNGing my TID and SID in pokemon White, but I need a question answered before I do.

In order to nickname pokemon in 6gen, do I just need my OT and TID to match my file on X, or do I also need to match my SIDs as well?

I'm planning on RNGing my TID and SID in pokemon White, but I need a question answered before I do.

In order to nickname pokemon in 6gen, do I just need my OT and TID to match my file on X, or do I also need to match my SIDs as well?
I'm not sure, why not aim for something that matches all three?

I would, but I'm not sure what my SID is in pokemon X

Wait, so I DO need my SID to match or no? (sorry, I'm a bit slow at understanding sometimes)
You can get it via KeyBV/ KeySAV, but the site where you can get them is down. Alternatively, you can ask someone from SQSR thread to check them for you.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would, but I'm not sure what my SID is in pokemon X
Your SID is: 19599 (in X).

Edit: I'm not sure if you need to RNG both TID and SID to be able to renickname your Pokémon (or whether you'll be able to at all after PokéTransferring), but it can't hurt to know :).

Edit: Don't worry about it. I would've responded sooner, but I couldn't remember what you sent me so had to check the OT of everything in my boxes... Should've probably just asked :P.

Last edited:
Your SID is: 19599 (in X).

Edit: I'm not sure if you need to RNG both TID and SID to be able to renickname your Pokémon (or whether you'll be able to at all after PokéTransferring), but it can't hurt to know :).
Oh, thank you! I wasn't sure if you checked for it or not. You've help me so much I didn't want to bother you with another thing. Thank you so much, you've been a huge life saver for me! :D

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler

It may have changed, but in gen VI at least all that was required was the TID to match. However, just like the general consensus, I'm not 100% sure if that is still true XD

source: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpphgss_rng_part4

edit: It seems like gen V required a matching TID/SID and game version to nickname a Pokemon (not sure about OT name...but I want to say no)

tldr; yeah I would just do all 3 to be safe (OT name, TID, and SID)

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure in Gen 5 (not sure in Gen 6) you need both the OT, OT Gender, TID/SID, and Game Version in order to nickname. I remember asking Hozu awhile back if it was possible to RNG an ID/SID in order to nickname my Raichu from Gen 3 in Gen 5. I just remember being told it was not possible in Gen 5, but it would have been in Gen 4.

I'm trying to RNG for a wild porygon in the Trophy garden on Pokemon Diamond, but I'm not sure how. Which encounter slot is it suppose to be in?

I hope this was the right place to ask this.

I was told that there are different pokerus strains for different amounts of days, ie a one day pokerus strain.

Is there a way to rng for a strain that lasts the longest amoun of time possible?

I was told that there are different pokerus strains for different amounts of days, ie a one day pokerus strain.

Is there a way to rng for a strain that lasts the longest amoun of time possible?
I'm not even sure if you can RNG that. Although, if you do get the pokerus, simply deposit at least one infected in the pc so that it stays and just take it out if you need to spread it to your party.

I'm not even sure if you can RNG that. Although, if you do get the pokerus, simply deposit at least one infected in the pc so that it stays and just take it out if you need to spread it to your party.
To add to what Mackenzie said, PokeRus ticks down at the stroke of midnight (sorry, had to use those words...). In other words, if your strain of 'Rus is only a one-day/only has one day left, don't leave it in your Party when you save and quit - deposit it first. I'm not sure if this applies to the day care, but wouldn't risk it, personally...

When RNGing your starter for Platinum, is there a way to immediately verify you hit your seed?

Also, can I still RNG for shininess without having another pokemon caught to know my SID?

Ideally I want to abuse for a shiny Calm Piplup.

In HG I can't seem to hit even remotely close to my seed (as in, searching Irwin calls w/ all three roaming legendaries in RNG Reporter with +- 1000 delay gives no results). I'm using Eon Timer and on a 3DS XL, rnging in Route 35 for a ditto. I hit start on Eon Timer as soon as I hit the ok on the time screen, then go to the home menu and start the game. Do I need to adjust technique a little because I'm on a 3DS XL, or is my timing just horrible?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
In HG I can't seem to hit even remotely close to my seed (as in, searching Irwin calls w/ all three roaming legendaries in RNG Reporter with +- 1000 delay gives no results). I'm using Eon Timer and on a 3DS XL, rnging in Route 35 for a ditto. I hit start on Eon Timer as soon as I hit the ok on the time screen, then go to the home menu and start the game. Do I need to adjust technique a little because I'm on a 3DS XL, or is my timing just horrible?
Are you following the steps in this guide? You could also try making your search range wider (increasing the +/- seconds and delay) to see if your timing is off.

When RNGing your starter for Platinum, is there a way to immediately verify you hit your seed?

Also, can I still RNG for shininess without having another pokemon caught to know my SID?

Ideally I want to abuse for a shiny Calm Piplup.
There are the "find seeds from stats" and "find seeds from IVs" tools under 4th gen tools, but I don't think there is a reliable way to be sure.

You have to know your SID to rng for shinies. Your best bet would be to rng your ID's, as described here.

From the rng manipulation guide:

The Johto and Sinnoh starters also operate similarly, but it is NOT recommended to get perfect starters this way as you have no reliable method of confirming your seed or advancing your frames and will have to rely on luck from randomly moving NPCs. Additionally, if you're going for a shiny starter, you will be confirm if it is shiny by simply clicking on the Poke Ball and the image displayed should be the shiny sprite if you did everything correctly.[\hide]

Are you following the steps in this guide? You could also try making your search range wider (increasing the +/- seconds and delay) to see if your timing is off.

There are the "find seeds from stats" and "find seeds from IVs" tools under 4th gen tools, but I don't think there is a reliable way to be sure.

You have to know your SID to rng for shinies. Your best bet would be to rng your ID's, as described here.

From the rng manipulation guide:

The Johto and Sinnoh starters also operate similarly, but it is NOT recommended to get perfect starters this way as you have no reliable method of confirming your seed or advancing your frames and will have to rely on luck from randomly moving NPCs. Additionally, if you're going for a shiny starter, you will be confirm if it is shiny by simply clicking on the Poke Ball and the image displayed should be the shiny sprite if you did everything correctly.[\hide]
I've figured out part of my issue - it's with the search call responses and roamer locations. A quick test shows it's the fault of inputting the roamer locations on the search call responses screen. I am following the steps in the guide. I'll edit this post with my success/failure later. Thanks :)
Edit: Success; I hit the close delay of 990, with a target of 994. I was 5 seconds off, but that can be changed by changing Eon Timer.
Second Edit: Not hitting close anymore, with all settings set to my target on Eon Timer. I've heard that RNGing with the 3DS requires some extra fiddling - I'm using an XL, so can anyone familiar with RNGing on an XL confirm/deny these claims (and if confirm, give the extra steps needed)

Last edited:

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just soft reset your game at the end of the second first timer instead of starting the game from the 3DS menu. It's the same timing regardless of the console if you do it that way.

Last edited:
Just soft reset your game at the end of the second timer instead of starting the game from the 3DS menu. It's the same timing regardless of the console if you do it that way.
To clarify - I hit the first timer as normal. Then, at the end of the second timer, I soft reset and load the game as normal?

Wait, my bad. SR on the first timer, then start the game on the second timer.
Thanks so much - I'm pretty consistently hitting near my seed/delay now.
EDIT: Thanks so so so so much! I just RNGed a 6IV Ditto - it's calm, but its sole purpose is to provide good IVs in Gen VI breeding (Natures provided by pokemon). Anyway, I'm super pumped, and so grateful!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 19)