Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A few to include

Edit: While I was writing this -Clone- reserved M-Beedrill. He can take what I wrote and change it around if he wants and claim it for himself since I didn't reserve it initially. Whatever works best is fine by me just let me know and I'll edit as such.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Protect / Knock Off / Pursuit

Role: Revenge Killer / Late-Game Cleaner

What it Does: M-Beedrills role in terms of OU finds itself primarily on Volt-Turn and Hyper Offensive builds as both a Revenge Killer and Cleaner. Adaptability boosted U-Turn allows it to switch into an appropriate check and counter while having the speed and power necessary to threaten both offensive and defensive builds. Poison Jab is used to break Fairy types while providing a strong STAB for neutral coverage against a variety of Pokemon. Drill run is coverage to hit Heatran in particular as well as others such as Cobalion, Terrakion, and Empoleon to name a few. Protect is to give it a free turn for Mega Evolution as its poor base speed prior to mega evolution as well as general scouting. Knock Off is for stall-breaking utility and pairs well with Magnezone to remove Shed Shell from Skarmory and Ferrothorn. Pursuit is for Pursuit Trapping weakened mons and bulky Psychic type who try to switch from being threatened by U-Turn.

Good Teammates: As mentioned previously Magnezone provides an excellent partner from both an offensive and defensive standpoint along with providing momentum with Volt Switch. Due to the nature of where you would use M-Beedrill Stealth Rock Setters such as Azelf, Sash Mamoswine and Lando-T can be useful partners to provide this hazard. Healing Wish users such as Jirachi and Latias are solid partners to heal M-Beedrill HP and Status mid-late game with Healing Wish, with Latias being able to provide Defog Support to remove hazards for M-Beedrill. Azumarill, Diggersby, Rotom-W, Garchomp, Greninja, Bisharp, and Tyranitar are a handful of other partners that can be used with M-Beedrill as well.

What Counters it: Consistent counters include bulky Steel types like Ferrothorn, Scizor and Skarmory as M-Beedrill doesn't have the power or utility to threaten them in a 1v1 scenario. M-Aerodactyl, Rhyperior, Gliscor are some counters to provide a more offensive aspect along with defensive utility to threaten M-Beedrill with. M-Beedrill is extremely frail and prone to hazard stacking from both offensive and defensive archetypes so utilizing hazards can apply pressure to M-Beedrill. M-Beedrill is prone to users of priority such as Bisharp, Azumarill, Diggersby, Scizor and for the most part any priority user that utilizes non Fighting priority can threaten M-Beedrill as well.

Any Additional Info: M-Beedrill's success is found on teams that continuously apply offensive pressure and as such from both a practical and team-building perspective one should take this into account when using and building around M-Beedrill. Also remember that Adaptability boosts the power of its STAB moves and not its coverage moves, so don't overestimate the power of Drill Run and miscellaneous coverage if being used. M-Beedrill can be viewed as a high risk high reward Pokemon so maximize coverage with teambuilding to improve the rewards and minimize risk.

Mamoswine (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear / Endeavor / Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Role: Hazard Setter

What it Does: Provides Stealth Rock consistently with its use of Focus Sash and Oblivious nature which makes it immune to Taunt. Ice Shard to provide revenge killing aspects when necessary against weakened opponents and to provide a last resort hit before going down. Earthquake for STAB to hit Pokemon such as Heatran, Charizard-X, Bisharp among others. Icicle Spear for STAB used to break Gliscor, Multiscale Dragonite, Sash Breloom, and Sash mons in general. Endeavor can be used on Hyper Offensive builds once sash is activated to get an opposing mon into the 1% mark and either revenge kill it through Ice Shard or have a partner pick it off. Icicle Crash is more consistent for damage output but loses the benefits of the other two move slots.

Good Teammates: Healing Wish users such Latias and Jirachi to provide various utility and to maintain a weakened Mamoswines Sash if its still intact. Partners such as Thundurus, Raikou, M-Venusaur, Celebi can help to break bulky Water types that Mamoswine has issues with. Offensive Psychic Types such as M-Alakazam, Latios, Latias, M-Gallade, M-Gardevoir, can help with various Fighting Types that can threaten Mamoswine. M-Pinsir, Talonflame, Staraptor, M-Heracross can be used to threaten bulky Grass types to alleviate the pressure on Mamoswine against opposing mons such as Defensive Celebi, M-Venusaur, and Ferrothorn.

What Counters it: Levitate Bronzong resists Ice and is immune to Earthquake. Skarmory has the bulk to not worry about Mamoswines attacks and can set hazards, heal, and threaten back until its worn down or defeated. Bulky water types such as Rotom-W and Slowbro completely counter this set and have the bulk and typing to threaten Mamoswine back.

Any Additional Info: It's best to lead off with this as to not run the risk of breaking Focus Sash through opponents setting up hazards initially. Endeavor is good on offensive builds while secondary Ice STAB is good on more Balanced builds that don't require so much pressure on momentum.
lol fuck. itll be a while before its entirely finished, but anything that i steal from you will be credited accordingly. Id keep what you have written just in case Sanger Zonvolt likes what you wrote better.

edit: on second thought if u want i can just delete my post since urs is done and Im barely halfway thru mine. just lemme know lol

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
lol fuck. itll be a while before its entirely finished, but anything that i steal from you will be credited accordingly. Id keep what you have written just in case Sanger Zonvolt likes what you wrote better.

edit: on second thought if u want i can just delete my post since urs is done and Im barely halfway thru mine. just lemme know lol
You reserved it appropriately like I should have so by all means take all of it lol. I'll be happy with Mamoswine plus more to come :) . Sanger can make the final call I'm cool with w/e.

Given that AM has a more complete set, I'll go ahead and use his. Sorry -Clone- since I know that you did technically reserve it first. I'll compromise and at least include the additional info you included in your post. On the plus side the list is fresh so there are still plenty of mons that you can reserve and write up.

What to use:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
-Taunt / Substitute
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Crunch

Role: Stallbreaker, Physical Sweeper, Late-game Cleaner

What It does: With fantastic bulk, a high 155 base attack, and a powerful dual stab, Mega Gyarados easily sweeps offensive teams after a DD or two. It also brings stall to their knees, as Mold Breaker Taunt makes things extremely difficult for them. On top of that, Gyarados' dual stabs are fantastic, for Water + Dark has great coverage, hitting most types neutrally if not super-effectively.

Good Teammates: Kyurem-Black is a great teammate for Mega Gyarados, mainly because it can dent many of Gyarados' checks and counters with Fusion Bolt and STAB Ice Beam. Latias is also a good partner for M-Gyara, weakening things like Azumarill and Ferrothorn with her coverage, and providing defog support. She can also use Healing Wish, which gives M-Gyara another chance to sweep. Talonflame can remove the Fighting and Grass types that threaten Gyara. Gothitelle can trap and KO M-Gyara's counters such as Keldeo, which is useful.

What Counters It: Keldeo and Azumarill resist the Water/Dark combination and both ohko Mega Gyarados with their stabs. Conkeldurr and Breloom check Mega Gyarados and can both destroy it with Mach Punch.Chesnaught is a hard-counter. Ferrothorn is a good check at full health. Similarly, Mega Venusaur checks Gyara as long as it is healthy. Mega Altaria walls and ohko's Mega Gyarados with Hyper Voice after some prior damage.

Any Additional Info: Intimidate is the recommended ability on pre mega-evolved Gyarados, as this gives it more set up opportunities. Substitute shields M-Gyara from status and from revenge killing. The reason Jolly is preferred is mainly so that M-Gyara can outspeed Timid Mega Sceptile and Jolly Mega Beedrill at +1. Gyarados' EV spread can be customized to what serves your team the best, whether that be bulky, Adamant, etc.

Last edited:

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Role: Physical Sweeper, Late-game Cleaner

What it does: With the ability to have unresisted STAB thanks to Scrappy, Mega Lopunny is capable of tearing through offensively based teams with ease. High base power moves, coupled with a base 136 attack is nothing to scoff at. It's simple, hit hard, and fast, and switch out of unfavorable match ups. Frustration + High Jump Kick hits the entire Game (bar Shedinja) for neutral damage, however, Ice punch is carried for Pokemon x4 weak to Ice attacks, such as Dragonite, and Landorus who otherwise comes in for free and shakes off the damage at -1. Fake Out is used to get a guaranteed Mega Evolution while also giving Frustration/High Jump Kick the chance to pick off any additional damage needed to Ko.

Good Teammates: Greninja, thanks to its new arsenal of attacks is an amazing team mate, creating a huge problem for any offensive team daring to face it. Greninja also takes care of Mega Lopunny's counters, further continuing their onslaught. Gothitelle is also an amazing Teammate capable of trapping Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur, MEga Slowbro, Skarmory, and Gliscor who other wise can heal up to avoid a 3HKO. Kyurem-Black, much like greninja is a hard hitting Pokemon, capable of dealing with a lot of the bulky Physical Pokemon willing to take Mega Lopunny's hard hitting STAB moves. Rotom-Wash is also a good teammate to make Bird Spam less of a burden to Mega Lopunny's hit and run tactics.

What Counters it: Mega Venusaur can live any move Mega Lopunny goes for and Giga Drain/synthesis to avoid the 3HKO. Clefable also provides problems with the ability to Soft Boiled the damage dealt, while being able to Moon blast for a 2HKO. Sylveon, much like Clefable can wish + Hyper voice to make it seem as though Mega Lopunny never even existed. Skarmory, can roost off any damage dealt by High Jump Kick, and OHKO in return with Brave Bird.

Any Additional Info: Mega Lopunny is a very versatile Pokemon. Fake Out, although ill advised, as well as Ice Punch can be substituted with other supportive attacks as well, such as Healing Wish, Toxic, Encore, Substitute, and Baton Pass to further aid its teammates in ways other than Punching holes in Pokemon. Sub Power Up Punch is also a possible set to give Mega Lopunny a bit of Wall breaking ability, but is simply inferior in some cases and is heavily reliant on its team playstyle.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Role: Wall-breaker

What It Does:
With Fire Blast and Solarbeam supplemented by Charizard-Y's Drought ability and additional coverage with Focus Blast, Charizard-Y makes for a viable wall-breaker in the tier. Fire Blast is the main coverage move that is designed to break down defensive cores and can even muscle past resists such as Latios and Greninja with ease. Solarbeam is designed to hit bulky Water, Rock, and Ground types which covers what Fire Blast would not be able to break in most cases. Focus Blast is implemented as coverage to hit such Pokemon as Heatran, Tyranitar, Empoleon, and M-Houndoom just to name a handful. Roost is for reliable recovery and to maintain Charizard-Y's longevity.

Good Teammates:
Good partners include Tyranitar and Bisharp for Pursuit Trapping support to take out Psychic types that potentially threaten Charizard-Y such as the Lati Twins, Starmie, and Thunder Wave Cresselia. Partners to help handle Terrakion, Lando-T, Raikou, Thundurus, and Garchomp are a must so partners such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, Lando-T, Quagsire and bulky ground types in general can provide support to handle these threats. Fighting types can help mitigate Charizard-Y's issue when faced against Chansey as well as general stall-breakers such as Taunt Terrakion, Thundurus, CM Lando-I, and Gengar to help Char-Y break walls more efficiently. Water resists such as Celebi, Keldeo, Ferrothorn, the Lati Twins, can be considered solid partners as well.

What Counters It:
Victini, Charizard-X, Chansey, Dragonite, M-Altaria, are a handful of counters to Charizard-Y that can either resist its coverage, set up on Charizard-Y, or stall out Sun to diminish its wall-breaking capabilities. General checks from a 1v1 standpoint to Charizard-Y includes anything that can hit relatively hard on the physical side that hits a speed tier above 100, such as Garchomp and M-Pinsir. Rain Offense and Sand Offense when utilized correctly can be considered checks to Charizard-Y as both of these play styles hinder Charizard-Y's effectiveness more so than it does the opposing weathers.

Any Additonal Info:
Timid is an optional nature over Modest if you feel the extra speed is necessary but as a wall-breaker more power is generally what you'll want to strive for in Charizard-Y's case. Roost is good for scouting moves or if you want to play it more safe if you know you're not necessarily at risk. Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast for consistency in accuracy but there's a significant power difference which will be very noticeable and will decrease its effectiveness as a dedicated wall-breaker.

Last edited:
Well guess I'll give it a shot. Though having only recently getting back into Pokemon (let alone the meta) and being new to this kind of suggestion thread and unknowing of the meta (or testing of these sets) means that this post might feel rather scrubby, so feel free to ignore them if you wish.

What to use:
200px-MeloettaEXLegendaryTreasuresRC25[1].jpg

Set 1: Meloetta @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Twisted Spoon/Mind Plate
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Modest or Quiet
EVs: 252 SpATK/252 Speed/4 SpDEF
Moves:
- Thunder Wave/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball
- Calm Mind
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Thunder(bolt)
Role: Special Bulky Sweeper, Probably Late Game Cleaner and Setup depending on the team
What it Does: Change it's type, but that's for another set. Access to Thunder makes it capable of handling Flying-types (Talonflame) and Water-Types (Keldeo, Greninja, anyone else that benefits from rain). It;s Typing provides STAB outs to Fighting-types, Posion-Types and to a lesser extent, some Ghost-types and Thunder Wave can paralyze several pokemon making it easier to sweep. Energy Ball can also be used as an out to Greninja is you for some reason can't use Thunder.
Good Teammates: It can work well with a Rain Dance user for 100% Thunder. A Fairy-Type like Diancie or Gardevoir can cover for Dark-Types.
What Counters It: The Lati twins share a type with her (Psychic) and their other types resits Thunder (Dragon), you could have her use Shadow Ball for it though. Dark-Types wall her Psychic moves completely and if you want to use Thunder, then battling a Sun, Sand or Hale team will make sure that the accuracy is as low as it normally is, Stall teams running the very bulky Chansey or Blissey will also prove to be a problem for her Special Attacks. Also Electric-type moves are walled by Landorus in either form due to the ground typing.

Set 2: Meloetta-Pirouette @ Leftovers/Expert Belt/Fist Plate
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Naughty or Brave
EVs 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Moves:
- Power-Up Punch
- Close Combat/Shadow Claw/U-Turn
- Relic Song
- Shadow Claw/U-Turn
Role: Physical Sweeper, maybe Stall breaker
What it Does: Again, it coinages form, this is focuses entirely on her Pirouette forme. As a result it will be slow to set up (You need one turn to change forms). Shadow Claw gives it coverage against Ghost-types (that otherwise wall it) and Psychic Types. U-Turn also allows coverage against Psychics. Power-Up Punch is a STAB move that increases her power with every use, conversely Close Combat is a stonger STAB move that decreases her defenses with each use. It also makes Steel/Dark/Normal-type walls easier to deal with then in Aria Forme. Relic Song is there by necessity as Meloetta must use the move to change formes.
Good Partners: As this form weakens her to both Psychic AND Fighting type moves, having a Psychic-type pokemon like Latias is necessary to help cover her weaknesses. Especially considering that you can U-Turn into another Pokemon easily
What Counters It: Inability to use Thunder makes water-types harder to deal with while the addition of her Fighting Type and reduced defenses means that Talonflame can cut her concerts short with ease. Metagross's part Psychic typing menas that Power-Up Punch and Shadow Claw is less effective on it. U-turn's lack of Priority means that if a pokemon with a type advantage outspeeds Meloetta's considerable speed, then the show is cut short, aggregated by the fact that she starts in Aria Forme and thus can be made vulnerable to Dark-type leads (and Pursuit especialy) and is slower until she uses Relic Song.

Do note that I haven't tested these sets yet and I just recently gotten back into the games so feel free to take it with a whole grain of salt. I'll probably be back later with some more sets once I have some experience with Showdown or make it to the end game of Omega Ruby

Last edited:
reserving swords dance diggersby, scarf keldeo & assault vest azumarill

edit : done with sd diggersby, will work on scarf keldeo and av azumarill
edit 2 : done with scarf keldeo, moving onto av azumarill
edit 3 : done!

Last edited:

Diggersby @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Role: Wallbreaker, Physical Sweeper

What It Does: Thanks to its ability Huge Power, Diggersby effectively reaches an Attack stat of 464. When put into perspective, that's more power than a neutral natured Mega Garchomp! With access to Swords Dance, Diggersby can double its gargantuan Attack stat and break down defensive cores with ease and potentially even sweep through the opposition. STAB Return and STAB Earthquake provide Diggersby with good coverage against a majority of the OU tier, with only a handful of Pokemon that resist both STABs. Quick Attack is great for picking off weakened threats and at +2, revenge killing Diggersby becomes a much more difficult task. With Focus Sash, Diggersby finds itself able to set up on offensive teams easier while Life Orb boosts its raw strength to ridiculous levels.

Good Teammates: Greninja is a fantastic partner because it's versatility allows it to be tailor-made to help Diggersby sweep. Bulky Steel-type Pokemon and bulky Fairy-type Pokemon find themselves hard pressed to reliably answer Greninja, thanks to its expansive movepool and ability Protean. Tyranitar and Bisharp also work well because of their ability to trap Gengar with Pursuit or Sucker Punch (in Bisharp's case). Magnezone is yet another useful teammate if Skarmory is a major issue for Diggersby and the team.

What Counters It: Gengar resists all of Diggersby's move and can KO with Focus Blast. Skarmory is in the same boat and is capable of Whirlwinding Diggersby out or setting up hazards or even clearing hazards with Defog.

Any Additional Info: Diggersby is a set-up sweeper and should be played as such. It's poor Speed stat and weakness to common offensive moves make Diggersby a liability if not played correctly.

Diggersby @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Role: Wallbreaker, Physical Sweeper

What It Does: Thanks to its ability Huge Power, Diggersby effectively reaches an Attack stat of 464. When put into perspective, that's more power than a neutral natured Mega Garchomp! With access to Swords Dance, Diggersby can double its gargantuan Attack stat and break down defensive cores with ease and potentially even sweep through the opposition. STAB Return and STAB Earthquake provide Diggersby with good coverage against a majority of the OU tier, with only a handful of Pokemon that resist both STABs. Quick Attack is great for picking off weakened threats and at +2, revenge killing Diggersby becomes a much more difficult task. With Focus Sash, Diggersby finds itself able to set up on offensive teams easier while Life Orb boosts its raw strength to ridiculous levels.

Good Teammates: Greninja is a fantastic partner because it's versatility allows it to be tailor-made to help Diggersby sweep. Bulky Steel-type Pokemon and bulky Fairy-type Pokemon find themselves hard pressed to reliably answer Greninja, thanks to its expansive movepool and ability Protean. Tyranitar and Bisharp also work well because of their ability to trap Gengar with Pursuit or Sucker Punch (in Bisharp's case). Magnezone is yet another useful teammate if Skarmory is a major issue for Diggersby and the team.

What Counters It: Gengar resists all of Diggersby's move and can KO with Focus Blast. Skarmory is in the same boat and is capable of Whirlwinding Diggersby out or setting up hazards or even clearing hazards with Defog.

Any Additional Info: Diggersby is a set-up sweeper and should be played as such. It's poor Speed stat and weakness to common offensive moves make Diggersby a liability if not played correctly.
Dat Knock Off tho...

Dat Knock Off tho...
SD Diggersby is unfortunately a Pokemon that cannot afford the luxury of mixing up moves. Swords Dance, Return and Earthquake are obligatory moves for their obvious reasons (set-up move + 2 STABs). While Knock Off is nice and it could an OO move, Quick Attack is almost mandatory as there are way too many faster threats that would KO Diggersby with ease (Keldeo, Latios, Greninja, etc)

AM

LCPL Champion
Knock Off is more suited to Scarf sets on Diggersby or just 4 attack Life Orb sets but those serve different functions altogether and doesn't really qualify it as a set up sweeper at that point. Also as far Charizard-X goes there's a lot of good EV spread options for it. I'm assuming we'll just go with whatever the more viable option is?

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Role: Wall Breaker / Stall Breaker / Special Sweeper

What It Does: With the combination of Life Orb, Sheer Force boosted movepool, and Calm Mind, Landorus provides a Wall Breaker to break both Stall and Balanced cores. Earth Power is its main STAB that heavily damages non resists and non immune Pokemon while being one of its most spammable moves. Psychic provides secondary coverage for neutral hits against Talonflame, Dragonite, Gyarados, basically those who resist or are immune to both Earth Power and Focus Blast. Focus Blast provides a more consistent answer to Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Mandibuzz, Bronzong, similar to Psychic in that it's used as coverage for what Earth Power and Psychic wouldn't hit. Calm Mind allows it to break defensive builds more efficiently especially walls such as Chansey and Bronzong who would otherwise be able to counter this variant more easily.

Good Teammates: Bulky Psychics types such as the Latis and Cresselia can be issues so partners such as Pursuit Trappers in the form of Tyranitar and Bisharp and offensive partners such as Gengar, M-Houndoom, and Greninja can help break down these mention threats. Pokemon such as Cobalion, Slowbro, Rotom-W, M-Scizor, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Char-Y, Char-X, M-Venusaur, Conkeldurr, Keldeo, Thundurus, Raikou are just a handful of partners to help with Water and Ice Types that Landorus would be susceptible to. M-Gardevoir can also be a secondary wallbreaker to help Lando-I break down various Dragon types more efficiently.

What Counters It: The most consistent counter to this particular set would have to be Cresselia, as it resists both its coverage moves and is immune to Earth Power while threatening Landorus back with Ice Beam. Priority users such as AV Azu, Weavile, Life Orb Mamoswine are some offensive checks that Landorus can have trouble with and as such the mentioned partners above can help with this. Dragon Dance Gyarados, Greninja, Rain Offense, Thundurus, the Lati Twins are a handful of general checks to this Landorus set as they'll either threaten with coverage, higher speed tier, or both.

Any Additonal Info: Lack of recovery means that Landorus doesn't have high longevity so play carefully in that you don't wear down Landorus too early. Players will usually pit Landorus against checks that would normally lose under regular circumstances such as Kyurem-B but will use variants such as Choice Scarf to threaten Lando-I. If something has the potential to threaten Lando-I and you have no knowledge in a Pokemons moveset it's better to play it safe than risk losing Lando-I in one turn and for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
What to use:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spd
Timid Nature
-Rain Dance
-Tail Glow
-Scald
-Psychic / Ice Beam / Energy Ball

Role: Stallbreaker, Wallbreaker, Late-game Cleaner

What It does: Say hello to one of the deadliest stallbreakers in the history of pokemon: RD TG Manaphy. Able to boost its special attack by three stages in only one turn, Manaphy can plow through stall teams. At +3, non-resists are straight up OHKO'd or 2HKO'd, while resists take hefty chunks. Rain Dance ruins sand offense as well as gives Manaphy the power to 2HKO Chansey at +6, which is the bulkiest special wall. Outside of completely decimating stall, Manaphy can act as a pivot vs more offensive teams, checking things like Greninja and Landorus-T, thanks to its natural bulk.

Good Teammates: Switch-ins to Thundurus such as Amoonguss pair up nicely with Manaphy. Magnezone can trap and eliminate Ferrothorn, a huge thorn in Manaphy's side. Pursuit users such as Bisharp and Tyranitar trap the troublesome Latis, clearing the way for Manaphy to go in. Talonflame can pick off Manaphy-weakened teams, thanks to priority Brave Bird and SD.

What counters It: Unaware Clefable, faster electric types like Raikou, Mega Manectric, and Thundurus, all make great checks to RD TG Manaphy. The Latis can dent Manaphy with STAB Draco Meteor, putting it into revenge kill range. A healthy Ferrothorn can 1v1 Manaphy thanks to Leech Seed, Power Whip (if it runs it), and its typing. MegaZard Y can bring the heat and deal huge damage with Solarbeam, while also weakening Manaphy's stab.

Any Additional Info: Wacan Berry is a decent hold item for Manaphy if one wants to lure electric types. RD TG Manaphy is a good addition to stall-weak teams as well as to those wanting decent Greninja switch-ins. Timid nature and 160 EV's allow Manaphy to outspeed max speed neutral-natured base 100's.

Last edited:
Knock Off is more suited to Scarf sets on Diggersby or just 4 attack Life Orb sets but those serve different functions altogether and doesn't really qualify it as a set up sweeper at that point. Also as far Charizard-X goes there's a lot of good EV spread options for it. I'm assuming we'll just go with whatever the more viable option is?

Reserving Calm Mind Lando-I
Yeah, if you're doing DD M-Charizard X, I'd go with the most consistent EV spread.

Anyway I've got the OP updated. Just a general announcement: For now try to focus on Mons whose viability is at least C- on the ORAS Viability thread. I know Meloetta is considered viable, but the stuff in D is pretty hard to use for newer players. That and as far as I know AV Meloetta is the only viable set in OU (if I've got that wrong someone please correct since I'm not good enough to actually use niche mons right)

Yeah, if you're doing DD M-Charizard X, I'd go with the most consistent EV spread.

Anyway I've got the OP updated. Just a general announcement: For now try to focus on Mons whose viability is at least C- on the ORAS Viability thread. I know Meloetta is considered viable, but the stuff in D is pretty hard to use for newer players. That and as far as I know AV Meloetta is the only viable set in OU (if I've got that wrong someone please correct since I'm not good enough to actually use niche mons right)
I'm gonna go with the Jolly DD spread that outspeeds scarfed Lando at +1.

DONE

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 SpE / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-Turn
- Final Gambit / Close Combat

Role:
Wallbreaker

What It Does:
Staraptor is arguably one of the best physical wallbreakers in OU. Choice Banded Brave Bird hits like nothing else. Adamant BB has a large chance to OHKO Specially Defensive Gliscor after Stealth Rocks. Jolly allows you to outspeed base 100s like Gardevoir and Charizard Y. Staraptor has everything it needs to be a devastating wallbreaker. Little holds it back once it gets going. Almost nothing can switch in to one of its STAB moves, let alone taking more than 2.

Good Teammates:
Talonflame and Mega Pinsir are some of Staraptor's best teammates. Staraptor deals with both Tyranitar and Rotom-W, two of their best counters, allowing them to have possible sweeps later on in the game. Anything that can deal well with Ferrothorn also help, as Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs recoil wears down Staraptor even more.

What Counters It:
There really are no Pokémon that truly counter Staraptor. Every Pokémon takes a huge chunk from Brave Bird or Double Edge. Staraptor's true counter is itself. It is extremely frail and vulnerable to priority, and wears itself down with a few hits. Having a weakness to Stealth Rocks isn't fantastic either. Staraptor is the true definition of 'Kamikaze.'
However, Skarmory and Rhyperior can easily take any of Staraptor's moves, although they have to be extremely wary of Final Gambit.

Any Additional Info:
Staraptor works best if you have a Wish passer or Healing Wish Pokémon on your team. Status is not its friend, so avoid that at all cost.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpE / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Overheat

Role:
Support (Pivot)

What It Does:
Manectric is a fantastic part of the Intimidate Volt-Turn combination. Mega Manectric is not meant to sweep teams. It's meant to be a late game cleaner and amazing pivot. Having the combination of Intimidate and Volt Switch gives it a fantastic use, since there are so many physical attackers in the upper ladder. Manectric, however, is very predictable in what it does and has a large issue with residual damage.

Good Teammates:
Scarf Landorus makes a great team mate, having both U-Turn and Intimidate, as well as having the ability to outspeed other Scarfers like Garchomp that threaten Manectric. Scizor and Talonflame also work great in the Volt Turn combo. Latios helps deal with Ground type attacks, and it deals better with Chansey (Psyshock).

What Counters It:
An obvious counter, Chansey takes less than 20% from all of Manectric's attacks. Tyranitar takes little damage from Manectric under Sand, and can easily KO back with Earthquake. Pokémon like Quagsire, Hippowdon and Gastrodon can easily take on Manectric.

Any Additional Info:
Manectric may not seem like it, but it is somewhat frail, especially without Intimidate.. It doesn't take super effective hits very well, so be wary of that. Manectric needs team support to be effective, and it isn't a Mega that you can just slap onto any team.

Last edited:
Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance / Substitute

Role: Wallbreaker

What It Does: Mega Heracross does a great job of breaking down stall teams. After an SD, it can 2HKO virtually the entire non-Doublade meta game. It's 185 base attack is it's biggest selling point. After a Swords Dance, it's attack reaches close to 1000 (over 1000 if an Adamant nature is used). Close Combat is a very spammable STAB even when unboosted, and Skill Link turns Pin Missile and Rock Blast into guaranteed 125 BP moves. Skill Link also gives Heracross an edge against most Sturdy and Focus Sash users. Heracross is less useful against offensive teams, but actually has some utility due to it's considerable natural bulk (80/115/105) and decent defensive typing. It can check Bisharp, Exadrill and Landorus-T, and in general lines-up well against anything that uses Dark, Fighting, Ground or Rock moves. Substitute gives it more utility against offensive teams at the expense of some power against stall teams. In terms of ORAS, Heracross actually performs better against stall teams. Jolly Mega Heracross can 2HKO max defense Mega Slowbro unboosted, at +2 it OHKOs Mega Slowbro. It also 2HKOs Mega Sableye, so as long as Sableye is already evolved it can't switch-in and counter Heracross (still checks it).

Good Teammates: Anything that handles Talonflame, and BirdSpam in general. Rhyperior, Raikou, Tyranitar, Zapdos and Rotom-W are the usual suspects in this department. Knock Off users, particularly Bisharp, are good options for handling Doublade Stall teams. Outside of that, obvious special attackers to lure out Chansey are a good idea. Send out said special attacker (for example, Latios), immediately switch to Heracross and SD or Sub from there.

What Counters It: Doublade is the only true Heracross counter out there. Outside of that, Landorus-T, Unaware Clefable, and (Acrobatics) Gliscor are good checks. Mega Hera doesn't have many other true answers, but it's easy to revenge kill and can't do it's job consistently against offense if enough pressure is generated. Carrying Talonflame is also a decent idea, because it can lead to over-prediction with Rock Blast and deter Hera from setting up.

Any Additional Info: Don't run Bullet Seed over anything. Rock Blast takes care of Azumarill, and Close Combat takes care of Rotom-W. Both of those are 2HKOs (OHKOs at +1) and you outspeed both, so there's no real need to run Bullet Seed ever.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Taunt / Substitute / Will-o-Wisp

Role: Wallbreaker

What It Does: Inflicts massive damage on almost everything. Pixilate Hyper Voice essentially gives it a 176 BP move, after STAB (1.5 boost) and -ate boost (1.3 boost). Psyshock gives Gard great complimentary STAB, hitting Poison types super effectively. Psyshock is also a great way to hit special walls like Chansey and Blissey, who otherwise give special-based wallbreakers in general trouble. Focus Blast cleans up against most Steel types that resist Hyper Voice and Psyshock, particularly Heatran and Ferrothorn. HP Ground is a reliable way to hit Heatran, at the expense of wider coverage. Taunt allows it to beat Chansey and other walls that rely on self-recovery to stall things out. Sub gives it more utility against offensive teams, while Will-o-Wisp gives it a way of crippling common switch-ins like Jirachi and Scizor.

Good Teammates: Teammates that can deal with faster revenge killers like Scarf Landorus-T and Gunk Shot Greninja are good options. Gard's biggest weakness is it's low physical defense, so pairing it with physical pivots is helpful. In this respect, Rotom-W and Landorus-T are good teammates. Teammates to handle Doublade, Heatran, Mega Scizor, Jirachi and Talonflame are also good teammates. The best option for dealing with those mons are Heatran (Talon and M-Scizor), Bisharp (Doublade and Jirachi), Specs Keldeo (Doublade, Heatran, M-Scizor), and Tyranitar (Doublade, Heatran, Talonflame).

What Counters It: Scizor and Mega Scizor are extremely good checks, although both fear getting burned on the switch-in. (Mega) Scizor can still win if it was burned, but then it's crippled for the rest of the match. Jirachi is also a good check, it can come in on any attack an KO back with Iron Head. Jirachi, like Scizor, does not like the possibility of getting burned on the switch. Doublade can take any attack and KO back with Steel STAB. Special Defensive Talonflame can check it if there aren't Rocks on the field, as it can take any non-Psyshock attack on the switch and survive outside of some extremely unlucky damage rolls. Victini is also a very good check to Gard, as Gard can't 2HKO outside of HP Ground and Victini OHKOs with V-Create.

Any Additional Info: Modest can be used for more power if you prefer.

Last edited:
What to use:

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Trick
-Defog

Role: Revenge Killer, Support, Hazard Remover

What It does: This Latios is kind of a jack-of-all-trades. For starters, Latios makes for a decent revenge killer. Thanks to his high speed coupled with a Choice Scarf, he can revenge kill threats such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Gyarados, and DD Dragonite at +1. In addition, Latios can cripple walls as well as slower boosting pokemon, such as CM Clefable and Crocune, with Trick. Finally, Latios can get off speedy defogs, clearing the field of annoying hazards.

Good Teammates: Keldeo is a pal to Latios due to its ability to handle dark types. Mega Metagross is a great partner, as it covers a lot of Latios' weaknesses and takes care of fairies. Talonflame appreciates the defog support Latios offers and can deal with many of his checks. Like Keldeo, Conkeldurr pairs well with Latios too.

What Counters It: Bisharp, Heatran, Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, and Clefable are hard stops to scarfLatios. Naturally bulky mons such as Mandibuzz and Rotom-W eat up any move Latios goes for and can then recover off the damage. Steel types like Mega Scizor set up on this Lati.

Any Additional Info: Because the most common Latios set is Life Orb, this set can catch opponents off guard and possibly nab some KO's on stuff like Greninja and slower scarfers (Lando-T, Terrakion, etc). Defog can be replaced for either Surf or Thunderbolt for coverage.

Last edited:

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
just a heads up haha, but i wasn't done writing when you added sableye to the op. it is all written now, though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)