np: ORAS OU Suspect Testing, Round 1 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [Greninja is Uber]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banning a Pokemon because it causes a metagame shift is such faulty reasoning. If there are ways to check something but you simply don't want to use those Pokemon because they are restricted to certain playstyles, you are either 1) Biased against certain playstyles, or 2) not accepting of a playstyle's weakness to Greninja. Greninja destroys balance, that is understandable, but I didn't see a Heracronite suspect in XY because of how badly it destroys stall. Pokemon don't get banned to preserve playstyles, is my point here..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of bans and of the metagames themselves to make it so you can play any playstyle you want without having any one of them being unviable? Not disagreeing with your points, you had very good ones, but what's your idea of a healthy meta? one where you are forced to play one archetype to win or one you can play the archetype you enjoy to win? If the former, than you must be some kind of robot, cause I sure as hell am not playing a game I don't enjoy.

I actually like the suspect ladder. Although I've been playing like crap because I wen't to bed at like 5am, I've had some really good games there and I kind of like the greninja-less meta. I like adapting to the new meta playstyles people are now using, because it's fun and because it's something I am actually capable of adapting to. it really opens up a lot of new playstyles that take skill to adapt to because we're so used to adapting to the same greninja meta crap. So just like user forumbeta, I'm not voting ban because I think "greninja is horribly broken zomg get it out", I'm doing it because I like the greninja-less suspect meta and I want to give it a chance.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of bans and of the metagames themselves to make it so you can play any playstyle you want without having any one of them being unviable? Not disagreeing with your points, you had very good ones, but what's your idea of a healthy meta? one where you are forced to play one archetype to win or one you can play the archetype you enjoy to win? If the former, than you must be some kind of robot, cause I sure as hell am not playing a game I don't enjoy.
No, I'm not a robot lol. But to the point, I believe that not everyone can be satisfied, and this is an exceedingly flawed goal of OU. And because of this, there isn't such thing as a "healthy metagame", because there will always be a group of players that are dissatisfied and thus view the metagame as "unhealthy". If the current metagame shift is causing distress to a player of a certain playstyle, it's an obvious confrontation of a decision to either 1) adapt to the metagame, or 2) switch tiers. I wholeheartedly disagree with having to choose the latter; but, the former is very reasonable in terms of being a response to a changed metagame.

minor nitpick, but cress beats every possible lando-i variant
Cresselia is restricted to Stall because it lacks the offensive presence it needs to fit onto balance and offense, so your post is implying that only stall can handle Lando-I (which is entirely untrue, because Lando-I either U-turns out of Cresselia or uses Knock Off to cripple it; however, Cresselia poses a threat with Ice Beam, in a similar vain to how Greninja is also threatened by its checks). I don't want to drift off-topic by discussing another mon, but the comparison in my OP you quoted is definitely relevant because both Greninja, and as an example, Landorus-I, are "uncounterable" in the sense that they can be checked by viable Pokemon, and well.

Last edited:
I would vote No Ban on Greninja basing my decision on the definition of an Uber Pokemon, which is as follows.

• Defensive Characteristic: A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is able to wall and stall out a significant portion of the metagame.
  • Offensive Characteristic: A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is capable of sweeping through a significant portion of teams in the metagame with little effort.
  • Support Characteristic: A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other pokemon to sweep.
  • Centralization Characteristic: Pokemon is Uber if, in a given metagame, it is a dominating force and dictates playstyles to such an extent as to be majorly centralizing.
I will be going one by one using Replays from high level players to help support my argument that Greninja does not meet any of the 4 characteristics of an Uber pokemon and therefore should not be banned.

1. Defensive Characteristic - No Ban

2. Offensive Characteristic - No Ban

In spite of Greninja's excellent speed and good offensive stats, Greninja's lack of stat enhancing moves as well as lack of viable priority (Water Shuriken is as of now a gimmick) make Grenininja unable to sweep through the metagame with little effort. A number of viable Mons are able to beat Greninja one vs. one, such as faster threats which can OKHO (standard scarfers, Talonflame, Mega Lopunny, Mega Aerodactly, Mega Manectric, etc) as well as bulky offensive mons which can take a hit and OKHO back (Charizard-X, Charizard-Y, Mega Metagross, Gyrados, Mega Gallade, Ferrothorn etc.) While it is true that none of these pokes are switching into Greninja, the fact that Greninja cannot get past many common Mons on a one vs one basis and doesn't have the moves to boost its stats so it can more easily get past these Mons means that Greninja will not be sweeping teams easily. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-195398614. As seen from this replay, even against bulky offensive teams Greninja's inability to get past bulky offensive Mons cripples its ability as a sweeper, and therefore should not be banned to ubers based on the offensive characteristic.

3. Support Characteristic - No Ban

While Greninja excels at supporting its teammates with hazards, due to its frailty it must be extra cautious in going for the support move, and one miss-play could result in Greninja being taken out quickly for the rest of the match. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-195402249. As evidenced by this replay, the liability of Greninja as a hazard setter is seen from a defensive Pokemon which easily disposed of Greninja as it tried to set hazards. Furthermore, Greninja faces competition as a hazard setter from Ferrothorn and Chesnaught, which trade offensive capabilities for defensive ones, as well as Klefki, which offers much better defensive typing and better support moves. Due to the flaws Greninja has as a support Mon and to the competition it faces as a hazard setter, it should not be banned to ubers based on the support characteristic.

4. Centralization Characteristic - No Ban

While being over-centralized may have several meanings, arguments supporting that Greninja is over-centralized is based upon how Greninja overwhelms balanced teams, forces them to run momentum killing checks such as Alo or Chansey, and inhibits the growth of balanced teams. While these arguments are sound on paper, in actual practice well built balanced teams are able to handle Greninja due to Greninja's flaws, such as a weakness to most scarfers and inability to take a hit. As evidence, here are some replays of balanced teams checking Greninja with success

1) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-31362
In this replay, Greninja's frailty and inability to resist common priority make it so that Greninja is unable to to make a significant impact against a team with 0 Greninja counters. This shows that outside of paper and in actual practice Greninja still struggles with teams that on paper it should dominate.

2. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-31296
While Greninja shows its worth in this replay as a top tier threat, also present are Greninja's flaws which are often dismissed, mainly Greninja's inability to deal with scarfers, tendency to get worn down quickly over the course of a match, and inability to get past bulky offensive Mons even with super effective moves.

3. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-31294
In this replay of bulky balance versus Greninja, Greninja is handily checked by scouting its moveset then sending the appropriate counter. Eventually Greninja is worn down, hardly looking like a Mon which overpowers balanced playstyles.

TLDR

While Greninja may have very few if any hard counters, this makes it a top tier overused Pokemon. For a Pokemon to be uber, it must meet at least meet one of the four criteria, and while Greninja does perform multiple roles well, it does not perform a single roll well enough to meet a single criteria making it worthy of a ban. It seems that Greninja is believed to be Uber because scouting its coverage moves or predicting its moveset based on the opponent's team are such next level strategies which ask too much from the player.
Except it is overcentralizing, it offers support in the ability to pick off targets for future sweeps and it has a consistent way of dealing damage and perform great with almost no risk involved once he hits the field.

He is used for that very reason, defense jokes asides I have yet to see a non gimmick defensive approach to the frog outside of spikes to dodge voltswitch... And that's it, using fragility as an excuse on a pokemon wich HP bar only means amount of times I can ruin the momentum of the opposite player if Sr is on the field and only Scarlets or a couple of megas that I won't switch in is pretty much irrelevant for its role.

And even if he isn't your standard 700 BST box legend he has proven cancerous enough to be kicked out of OU, he isn't judged on Uber qualities but on its OU qualities wich he has pretty much shaped to its reactive offensive qualities.

TLDR.

Ban this overcentralizing frog so we can start seeking for a better meta and address other issues this thing is drawing our attention for.

Last edited:
I think Greninja is the "softest" of the mons that have been suspect tested between XY and ORAS and I expected way more controversy than, say, the Mega Mawile suspect testing. Most people in this thread seem to be leaning towards a ban, which I agree with.

The problem with Greninja is not that it hits everything really hard (which most of the time it does, anyway) but that it can hit everything like a truck. Tentacruel? Extrasensory. Almololola? Grass Knot or HP Grass. Ferrothorn? Low Kick or HP Fire. And even with neutral hits it hits stupidly hard thanks to Protean. Every time Greninja comes out something is going to get blown up and your "check" or "counter" might actually be fodder for it.

XY Greninja was really good but manageable, and it still is, albeit less so, but now there's no way to keep the ninja in check unless you know its moveset. I mean, yeah, Porygon-2 exists but why should people be forced to run crap like that just to be safe with Greninja? Priority also deals with it but switching out is just as easy. Hell, I've seen Scarf Ninjas baiting Scarf Lando-T. When Magnezone rose in usage people started using Shed Shell to counter it. What can you do against Greninja? The frog adapts to your "counters" thanks to its amazing ability, speed, and movepool. Gunk Shot and Low Kick were just icing on the cake to give this thing even more versatility and a way to muscle past its old checks.

Greninja is also stupidly easy to use on any team. It can provide "coverage" thanks to its amazing movepool against whatever your team lacks. It can clean late game with its speed and power. It can act as a lure if you play it like one. Greninja can be beat by a scarfer yeah, but it's not like a Greninja will stay in on my Talonflame when he can just switch to a Rotom-W or some other bulky Pokemon and live to fight another day. Hyper Offense has a rough time against him and he can pressure Balanced by hitting everything hard.

So what if you can get something to deal with it (fuck Porygon-2), why should I have to pick two Pokemon that can deal with him? I don't want to always keep the ninja in mind when I build a team and have it destroyed by one of its many sets if I don't. I don't want to send my Rotom-W only to learn that, whoops, it has HP Grass and will now switch into something for my revenge killer. I don't want to sigh and feel bad for someone that carries Porygon-2 when I'm using a team that doesn't use Greninja (it's actually hilarious but kinda sad, lol). I want variety, I want innovation, I want to see people trying out new things by piecing together different Pokemon and using strategy instead of having one do-all Pokemon that forces you to use him and play against him or be at a disadvantage.

Ban.

Also, merry Christmas everyone! Here's an obligatory Christmas Delibird

I think Greninja should be banned. But I just wanted to point out that while Offense can handle it(as cliche as this sounds.....) you can just switch out on scarfers and fast Megas. Honestly I know that's a bad argument, but as long as you are against a good player they will usually be able to play around Scarfers
Not to mention Balance has practically nothing ti handle this thing. Stall can handle it decently though. Anyways, I'm not going to really say much as I'd just be repeating what has been said over and over about how Greninja is broken.

BAN

Mur

If you're not first you're last
Although this thread has pretty much discussed everything to death I'm still gonna throw my thoughts in because why not? I would like to point out that the posts by Jukain MegaScizor and AM are spot on for what we should be arguing over. From what I've seen everyone seems to just be arguing over gren's characteristics. While its attributes are important and should contribute to it's fate nobody but a few posts are actually looking at greninja from a metagame standpoint. So on that note let me get onto my thoughts on ninja.

First of all the reeason why greninja is being suspected in the first place is that it is Broken vs Balance. The pressure gren puts on offense is pretty irrelevant considering how many other mons do the same thing. Also offense is not looking to have switch ins to everything as much as putting pressure on the opponent. On the case of stall while ninja can definitely break through some walls this playstyle has been blessed with the fact that the handful of counters for this thing love to be on stall. So because of these reasons gren is not broken vs these playstyles. Now against balance this is entirely different. Greninja has the movepool+power to wallbreak and the speed to dismantle offensive cores. This makes balance pretty much a moot point atm because you just get smashed by ninja no matter how you build it. To go off of this the small amount of gren counters do not really fit on balance because they are all way too passive to provide anything for the team. Really the only one of these "counters" that can fit onto a balance core would be tenta but thats even pushing it. That just shows how overcentralizing greninja is to balance because it basically plays out like this, either use tenta and pray it does'nt have extrasensory or don't and sack something everytime this monster hits the field. I'm really having a hard time seeing how gren should not be banned just looking at how it makes an entire playstyle disappear just for it's existence. In a balanced meta every playstyle should be viable(notice I said viable not equal). For this reason I say Ban Greninja. Also I hope you all have a Happy Holidays and good luck laddering for reqs n_n

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would vote No Ban on Greninja basing my decision on the definition of an Uber Pokemon, which is as follows.

• Defensive Characteristic: A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is able to wall and stall out a significant portion of the metagame.
  • Offensive Characteristic: A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is capable of sweeping through a significant portion of teams in the metagame with little effort.
  • Support Characteristic: A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other pokemon to sweep.
  • Centralization Characteristic: Pokemon is Uber if, in a given metagame, it is a dominating force and dictates playstyles to such an extent as to be majorly centralizing.
I will be going one by one using Replays from high level players to help support my argument that Greninja does not meet any of the 4 characteristics of an Uber pokemon and therefore should not be banned.

1. Defensive Characteristic - No Ban

2. Offensive Characteristic - No Ban

In spite of Greninja's excellent speed and good offensive stats, Greninja's lack of stat enhancing moves as well as lack of viable priority (Water Shuriken is as of now a gimmick) make Grenininja unable to sweep through the metagame with little effort. A number of viable Mons are able to beat Greninja one vs. one, such as faster threats which can OKHO (standard scarfers, Talonflame, Mega Lopunny, Mega Aerodactly, Mega Manectric, etc) as well as bulky offensive mons which can take a hit and OKHO back (Charizard-X, Charizard-Y, Mega Metagross, Gyrados, Mega Gallade, Ferrothorn etc.) While it is true that none of these pokes are switching into Greninja, the fact that Greninja cannot get past many common Mons on a one vs one basis and doesn't have the moves to boost its stats so it can more easily get past these Mons means that Greninja will not be sweeping teams easily. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-195398614. As seen from this replay, even against bulky offensive teams Greninja's inability to get past bulky offensive Mons cripples its ability as a sweeper, and therefore should not be banned to ubers based on the offensive characteristic.

3. Support Characteristic - No Ban

While Greninja excels at supporting its teammates with hazards, due to its frailty it must be extra cautious in going for the support move, and one miss-play could result in Greninja being taken out quickly for the rest of the match. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-195402249. As evidenced by this replay, the liability of Greninja as a hazard setter is seen from a defensive Pokemon which easily disposed of Greninja as it tried to set hazards. Furthermore, Greninja faces competition as a hazard setter from Ferrothorn and Chesnaught, which trade offensive capabilities for defensive ones, as well as Klefki, which offers much better defensive typing and better support moves. Due to the flaws Greninja has as a support Mon and to the competition it faces as a hazard setter, it should not be banned to ubers based on the support characteristic.

4. Centralization Characteristic - No Ban

While being over-centralized may have several meanings, arguments supporting that Greninja is over-centralized is based upon how Greninja overwhelms balanced teams, forces them to run momentum killing checks such as Alo or Chansey, and inhibits the growth of balanced teams. While these arguments are sound on paper, in actual practice well built balanced teams are able to handle Greninja due to Greninja's flaws, such as a weakness to most scarfers and inability to take a hit. As evidence, here are some replays of balanced teams checking Greninja with success

1) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-31362
In this replay, Greninja's frailty and inability to resist common priority make it so that Greninja is unable to to make a significant impact against a team with 0 Greninja counters. This shows that outside of paper and in actual practice Greninja still struggles with teams that on paper it should dominate.

2. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-31296
While Greninja shows its worth in this replay as a top tier threat, also present are Greninja's flaws which are often dismissed, mainly Greninja's inability to deal with scarfers, tendency to get worn down quickly over the course of a match, and inability to get past bulky offensive Mons even with super effective moves.

3. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-31294
In this replay of bulky balance versus Greninja, Greninja is handily checked by scouting its moveset then sending the appropriate counter. Eventually Greninja is worn down, hardly looking like a Mon which overpowers balanced playstyles.

TLDR

While Greninja may have very few if any hard counters, this makes it a top tier overused Pokemon. For a Pokemon to be uber, it must meet at least meet one of the four criteria, and while Greninja does perform multiple roles well, it does not perform a single roll well enough to meet a single criteria making it worthy of a ban. It seems that Greninja is believed to be Uber because scouting its coverage moves or predicting its moveset based on the opponent's team are such next level strategies which ask too much from the player.
Justification for a Pokemon's ban or lack thereof has nothing to do with how well it would fit into whatever tier is above it. It has to do with it's performance in OU. This has been argued over many suspects. Judge it based on how well it does here, not how it does elsewhere.

I'm not saying it should be banned or not. I'm just saying that it isn't reasonable to base your decision off of that logic.

Greninja needs to be banned. At the start of ORAS, when MegaMence was around, 9/10 of my teams featured PhysDef P-2 and SpDef Empoleon, with a scarfer that could handle Low Kick variants of Greninja. Like, my teams were literally P-2, Empoleon + Scarfer (usually Lando-T or Keldeo) all the time. No variation at all. Because when I did vary this team structure, I got instantly rolled by Mence and Ninja, regardless of my opponent's skill.

It's been a frustating month's teambuilding if you ask me. On the suspect ladder atm I feel so refreshed it's beyond a joke. It's nice being able to teambuild without 'checking over my shoulder' all the time for Ninja weaknesses.

I don't get the arguments in favour of Ninja staying... firstly, on bulk, he never ever ever ever needs to take hits unless he's done his job and you're sacking. There literally hasn't been a hit and run attacker as good as Ninja since Gen6esect, and Ninja's coverage is VASTLY superior, even if it does have somewhat worse typing and bulk. Then you have people saying you can just scout for Ninja's coverage. Unfortunately, scouting out all four STABbed moves from such an offensive powerhouse usually leads to the graphic, complete and total annihilation of over 50% of your team's total HP. It's also worth noting that Greninja can utilise your fear of it having a move even if it doesn't, because it's no more likely to have one over the other. It's way too customisable. For people citing 4MSS, it can literally be customised and tweaked to support any other teammate via threat removal / pressurising, or it can just run U-Turn to make up for lack of threat coverage...

This is the first suspect test I'll be gunning for reqs in. Ninja is so broken it's shameful. And I for one can't wait for variety in the metagame to step up a notch should it get the banhammer.

Last edited:
Justification for a Pokemon's ban or lack thereof has nothing to do with how well it would fit into whatever tier is above it. It has to do with it's performance in OU. This has been argued over many suspects. Judge it based on how well it does here, not how it does elsewhere.

I'm not saying it should be banned or not. I'm just saying that it isn't reasonable to base your decision off of that logic.
With all due respect, if you read his post you'd know that he never compares Greninja to anything outside OU. While the wording is confusing, he's using the characteristics by which we judge mons in OU to see whether we should ban them to Ubers, not whether or not it's viable in Ubers. I may not necessarily agree with him, but there is nothing inherently wrong with the approach of his analysis. He's also one the few people I've seen post replays that weren't bad low ladder battles to back up his argument.

Good God, how is the "save balance" argument even valid after what I have posted? Look at this post, this one, and this one.
When you can essentially make an entire playstyle entirely useless from team match up, you're a problem.
Better question is how is it not valid?
I've read your posts, and I can see you've put thought into them. However, I've gotta ask, how can you sit here and honestly say that it's okay to drop the effectiveness of an entire team with one pokemon?
Mind you, Greninja doesn't do this to ONLY Balanced teams. . .

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
With all due respect, if you read his post you'd know that he never compares Greninja to anything outside OU. While the wording is confusing, he's using the characteristics by which we judge mons in OU to see whether we should ban them to Ubers, not whether or not it's viable in Ubers. I may not necessarily agree with him, but there is nothing inherently wrong with the approach of his analysis. He's also one the few people I've seen post replays that weren't bad low ladder battles to back up his argument.
He literally starts his post by saying "basing my decision off of the definition for an Uber Pokemon." His subsequent argument is that Greninja doesn't meet any of the characteristics of an Uber Pokemon. So nah, he really doesn't discuss anything about OU.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
When you can essentially make an entire playstyle entirely useless from team match up, you're a problem.
Better question is how is it not valid?
I've read your posts, and I can see you've put thought into them. However, I've gotta ask, how can you sit here and honestly say that it's okay to drop the effectiveness of an entire team with one pokemon?
This suspect is coming down to whether we want to preserve playstyles, which I think should not be done, because already have metagame shifts occurred this gen with little to no issues, so there is almost no reasonable explanation to why greninja alone should be banned for causing metagame shifts. I can understand if someone thinks the meta is unhealthy with Greninja in it, but if you are defining "unhealthy" by your favorite playstyle becoming difficult to execute/unviable because of Greninja, you are being uncooperative with metagame trends.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Greninja can be banned under the logic that it has caused negative shifts in the metagame. A Pokemon does not have to be 'broken' to be banned (though Greninja is regardless); it can be banned for an unhealthy effect on the metagame as well. Balanced isn't someone's 'favorite playstyle', it's a fundamental aspect of the metagame that allows a lot of diversity and varied styles of play. The viability of balanced styles in the metagame has an undeniable positive effect that should absolutely not be discounted as a point against Greninja.

This suspect is coming down to whether we want to preserve playstyles, which I think should not be done, because already have metagame shifts occurred this gen with little to no issues, so there is almost no reasonable explanation to why greninja alone should be banned for causing metagame shifts. I can understand if someone thinks the meta is unhealthy with Greninja in it, but if you are defining "unhealthy" by your favorite playstyle becoming difficult to execute/unviable because of Greninja, you are being uncooperative with metagame trends.
Haha, I can read, and I love how that didn't really answer my question. I don't think it's unhealthy because it can tear apart my favorite playstyle. I think it's unhealthy because it runs the Metagame. It limits team building, it has the capability to render an entire playstyle useless, it hits insanely hard, it's fast as shit, has FAR more reward than it does risk.
That is why I find it unhealthy. That is why most of us find it unhealthy. . .

So, I ask again, how is essentially making an entire playstyle obsolete not a valid argument?

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
sorry for being such a (BAN ME PLEASE) but fuck reqs seriously jesus christ. so much tilting / hax god damn. keeping this here for safe-keeping, but i do have some comments on greninja

ban it, i like the metagame a lot more without it. offense teams don't have to be as structured on who plays their greninja / greninja check better and have more freedom in choices. it also lets balance teams breathe a little, so that is good as well. greninja just got completely thrown over the broken line after the oras gave it gunk shot / low kick, which may seem strange, but believe it or not it actually pushed greninja over the edge.

also i'm the 1st person to get reqs! ._>

Last edited:
It's not playstyles per se (even though many people are arguing that Greninja kills balance, which it does) but the fact that the ninja forces everyone to play around him and punishes those who don't. He also has zero drawbacks.

What makes Greninja so special that having it in OU is more important than having a metagame where people can run basic playstyles like offense without hampering their teams with otherwise useless "counters". Tbh, Porygon2 will prove to be a liability against most teams without a Greninja.

Mr. Hothead

formerly Salt2DaFeds
>Free Greninja, a useless Pokemon counters it
>Greninja uses HP-Fighting, its super effective
>Useless Pokemon faints
>You were saying?

Sereiously I don;t get how effective Porygon2 is as a counter to greninja? It can learn HP-Fighting. If it can 2-shot Chansey with Evolite and a fighting type move why would a defensively weaker pokemon be a better "counter" to it?
Holy shit, trolls got really horrible today.
Remember when they actually had creativity? Oh wait, me neither.

It's not playstyles per se (even though many people are arguing that Greninja kills balance, which it does) but the fact that the ninja forces everyone to play around him and punishes those who don't. He also has zero drawbacks.
Greninja has zero drawbacks? Seriously? You guys are overselling Gren's true potential. Now that i think of it, Greninja himself isnt ban worthy, the team its based on is why its banned. If you gave me Greninja to go up against another pokemon by itself with its standard set, i think half the time he would win and half the time he would lose. Him having the ability to switch out of its checks/counters into something like Lando T and so on.

Also gren can be walled with the correct amount of bulk. Alomomola can work with Mirror Coat, Chansey can switch in and TWave it or something, Empoleon can wear Float Stone to stop Low Kick gren, etc. Gren can be stopped, it just requires a pokemon on your team.

Last edited:

Mur

If you're not first you're last
Good God, how is the "save balance" argument even valid after what I have posted? Look at this post, this one, and this one.
After looking through your posts I can say you are one of the few on the anti-ban side(that I've seen anyway) to actually give well structured arguments and I respect that. I would have to disagree though because a mon can be banned for drastically reducing the viability of a playstyle(Jukain ninja'd me on this) much like how Deo-d influenced the rise of HO back in XY. In one of your posts you even say "I can understand if someone thinks the meta is unhealthy with Greninja in it" and that is exactly what I(and many others) think. Also if you read the end of my post you see that I say a balanced meta is essentially where every playstyle is viable but not equal. There will always be a dominant playstyle and people should and will adapt to those metagame shifts like you have said but greninja pushes it over the line. I think you are underestimating exactly how bad greninja nullifies balance right now. Like I said all of gren's counters do not belong on balance meaning greninja can break entire balance teams alone. Yes, you are going to have a scarfer or one of the fast megas to check it but typically balance really can only afford to run 1 maybe 2 of those checks in order to keep synergy between the team. This means that basically whenever gren comes in on 4-5 mons on your team its getting a kill before being forced out. Based off this why should I even use balance right now when I can use HO to constantly pressure gren while not worrying about having no switches or stall to effectively counter gren. This is not about "saving balance" or "your favorite playstyle" it's about getting rid of a mon that is unhealthy to the developement of the metagame. As you can see some people(one being PDC) that are playing on the suspect ladder are agreeing that the meta is a lot better with greninja gone and I agree with them completely. So to sum this up I do feel that greninja is unhealthy for the metagame and should be banned.

Last edited:
Holy shit, trolls got really horrible today.
Remember when they actually had creativity? Oh wait, me neither.

Greninja has zero drawbacks? Seriously? You guys are overselling Gren's true potential. Now that i think of it, Greninja himself isnt ban worthy, the team its based on is why its banned. If you gave me Greninja to go up against another pokemon by itself with its standard set, i think half the time he would win and half the time he would lose. Him having the ability to switch out of its checks/counters into something like Lando T and so on.

Also gren can be walled with the correct amount of bulk. Alomomola can work with Mirror Coat, Chansey can switch in and TWave it or something, Empoleon can wear Float Stone to stop Low Kick gren, etc. Gren can be stopped, it just requires a pokemon on your team.
Yeah, what's the drawback to having Greninja on an offensive team when it does so much for so little risk.

Also, why look at Greninja in a vaccum when it does't function in one? Greninja is a staple of offensive teams and can adapt to what a team needs covered thanks to its deep movepool. What does this frog have that is negative about it. Don't give "low defenses" or "easily revenge killed" as an argument because that's true of most fast offensive Pokemon.

He literally starts his post by saying "basing my decision off of the definition for an Uber Pokemon." His subsequent argument is that Greninja doesn't meet any of the characteristics of an Uber Pokemon. So nah, he really doesn't discuss anything about OU.
If you actually read the definitions, you would have seen that brodean is using definitions that are based on the suspect's performance in OU (can wall most of the OU metagame, sweep through most of it, support another pokemon to do those, or centralize the OU metagame too much). Which is exactly how you should define an uber, with regards to the OU tier, not the uber tier. You could have also seen that all of the replays are OU replays (and actually pretty decent skill-level as well), and when he references other pokemon, they are all in the OU tier.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I don't think you read past the first line of the post...

This will legitimately be my last post in this thread, since it's already becoming a disgusting thread to read through.

Firstly, let's stop with the "Frailty" talk. If a Pokemon's frailty was a big enough factor, Deoxys-A would be OU, we all know how horrible of a place the OU metagame would be if that were the case. Mega Lucario's main argument (from anti-ban members) was its frailty, however, it's clear that literally EVERYTHING else is more than enough to cover that one down fall. Greninja essentially is the definition of Low Risk High Reward. There is almost never a point in which the person using Greninja has to make a risky play that could other wise put it in danger unless of course the person using it is not the most knowledgeable. It comes in, clicks whatever move it wants, either picks off whatever switches in the next turn, or switches out to wait for its turn to do it all over again. Again, very little risk with a whole lot of reward.

Second, Greninja does not have 4MSS. Stop saying it does. 4MSS is when a Pokemon really wants a 5th move to work to the best of its ability, but has to deal with the fact it can't cover all its bases. Greninja does not have this problem. Greninja has everything it ever needs to cover its ass, and what little it doesn't cover immediately the other 5 Pokemon on its team can. It's capable of 2HKO'ing the entire meta with the right spread, so what it doesn't kill on the switch, is likely to drop on the next turn. Greninja has the ability to do this with ease. Not to mention this "4MSS" plays into Greninja's hand as well. It leaves the opponent completely unaware of what 4 moves the opposing ninja has until they've fully scouted its moveset (That isn't the easiest thing to do). Which roughly translates to cross your fingers and hope they don't have (insert move).

Third, we all know, every single one of us, that there are checks to Greninja. There are scarf 'mons, there are faster megas (which is entirely dependent on your team, albeit if you're carrying a mega specifically for ninja there's a problem), there are priority 'mons. However, what there isn't always much of, is a way to fit them on teams. It's easy to tell me to just throw p2 on my team and deal with it, but you don't care about how it fits onto my team. (I.e: 5 Hyper offensive 'mons + p2) That is centralization at its finest. However, the same can be said for scarfed mons and Priority 'mons. You can tell me just throw Lant on my Balance team without any regard of how well it fits on said team. This is where it limits team building.
We know there are checks, but much like a lack of checks and counters isn't enough to ban a Pokemon, the fact there are checks isn't enough to not ban a Pokemon. We know that it's frail, which has never, and will never be an important enough factor to stop a Pokemon from being broken.

TLDR; Read what I stated. . .

I'm enjoying the current ladder FAR more than I did two days ago. There are a wide variety of teams, and for the most part, seems pretty damn good. I'm hoping there will be a change of heart for some people here, for most, I doubt there will be. However, if you truly wanted a balanced metagame, you would see the reason Greninja has to go. I've enjoyed him while he's been around, but, he has over stayed his welcome. It's about time he goes. . .

Ban

I really think that greninja is just a very good pokemon, not even close to be considered broken. Low kick is veeeery condicional attack and gunk shot have a terrible acc.
basically you can define a pokemon within 3 categories: " powerfull, bulky, fast". those pokemons that were banned to uber were basically all 3.
  • Blaziken is super fast, good typing, stabs of 120bp,
  • Aegislash super bulky, super powerfull, beautiful typing, priority
  • Mega Salamence great bulky, great ability, great setup move
  • Mega Mawile great typing, insane damage
  • Mega lucario Insane damage physical and special, just deal with it
  • Mega Kenga stupid damage + free choice band damage, good bulky, priority
greninja is fast, yes he is, and super frail too. Many pokes are faster ( mega beedril, mega loppuny, jolteon, noivern, aerodactyl, weavile, mega alakazan and many things that people love to use choice scarf can ohko him back), there are pokes that simply can be faster than him (sharpedo, scolipede and yanmega with speed boost can ohko him back), many pokes simply dont give a fuck about what is his movepool and ohko him back or cripple ( talonflame, jirachi with assault vest, klefki, conkeldur with assault vest, rotom-w )

he is good, versatile, dont have setup moves besides power-up punch, his most powerfull attacks are hydro pump and gunk shot of 80 acc and his priority moves are the unreliable water shuriken and shadow sneak. Probably the pokemon with the most severe 4mss. Seriously guys, greninja wasnt even considered counter / check of any of the previous pokes that were sent to ubers, leave the frog alone, i still cant understand why mega zard x, thundurus and landorus are been ignored for suspect test.

leremyju

Banned deucer.
Ahhh so this happens. Fuck m sableye first of all let's ban that piece of shit.

"Once change begins, it cannot be stopped" - Guru Laghima. GRENINJA WILL BE BANNED ASDFGHJKL;

So err greninja isn't exactly the overcentralizing monster that Kang or mence was. However when it comes in it basically gets a kill unless you run something like P2 or chansey. And the fact that we have to run this shir is the definition of restricting teambuilding. I don't think greninja hitting hard is too bad, it's that it can hit almost the entire tier with STAB everything and blah blah. Most of the ban points have come out and it's time to get some reqs but yea greninja is annoying and such.

One thing I want to say is that greninja does get worn down easily if you can actually force it to switch out and blah blah. It's also hard to switch greninja in as it needs all the health it can get. I don't really like this suspect because I'm on the fence about ninja. I really hope it's not banned because I feel like skilled players can play around it without running momentum killers like P2 or chansey but at the same time I want it banned because it comes in and kills something.

Oh yea, and fuck m sableye

Gunk Shot really isn't that inaccurate. It used to have 70% accuracy, just like Focus Blast and Blizzard, but it got buffed to 80% this gen, while still retaining 120 power.

It's only slightly less accurate than Fire Blast (which is 10 points weaker). So no, its accuracy is not terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)