Pokémon Charizard

Which one these MEvos will be OU in your opinion?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, apologies for the necro.
Second, I thought of a Charizard X set that deals with almost all stall teams.
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk, 120 Spe, 136 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Fire Punch / Flare Blitz
- Roost

This set uses the almost never seen on Charizard SubPunch to break stall. It deals with SkarmChans well, 2HKOing Skarmory with Fire Punch and OHKOing w/ Flare Blitz and OHKOing Chansey, while also 2HKOing Quagsire. Another Charizard counter, Rhyperior, gets 2HKOed by Focus Punch. Heatran is straight up OHKOed, while Mega Venusaur at its most physically defensive is 2HKOed by Flare Blitz. Not even most stall team's glue, Doublade, avoids a 2HKO, and Chesnaught and Tangrowth both die as well. There is AFAIK literally three pokemon that can be viably used on stall to counter it - Physically defensive Arcanine, Dragonite, and Salamence, all of whom are rare on a stall team. The best part, however, is that standard Zard X is countered by Quagsire or sometimes Heatran or MegaSaur, all of whom this set breezes through.
tl;dr SubPunch Charizard X = Stall dies.
If you're running Fire Punch, then you don't "breeze through" Mega Venusaur, especially physically defensive variants, so as you said, stick with Flare Blitz as it 2HKOs:

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 116-138 (31.8 - 37.9%) -- 89.8% chance to 3HKO

Also, Focus Punch is barely within the 2HKO range against Quag, which means you MUST be behind a sub while Quag is switching in to the first Focus Punch to get the second one off before it recovers (if it even 2HKOs to begin with), and if you're not behind a sub, then expect a Scald or an EQ:

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 191-225 (48.4 - 57.1%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I gave vanilla Specs SP Charizard a try for the first time in a very long time. Figured I'd give my thoughts a year into Gen 6

It's interesting, on a sun team, Specs SP Charizard is basically the most powerful wallbreaker you can get, being able to take down nearly every defensive in OU. The only non-set-up attackers I can think of that are stronger are Specs Chandelure switching with a flash fire boost in the sun, and SP Mega Houndoom with a flash fire boost in the sun, and those are much more situational. (I guess there's Kyogre's Water Spout, but that's Ubers)

A few damage calcs
252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz in Sun: 501-589 (118.4 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Rotom-W in Sun: 189-223 (62.1 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 274-324 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Chansey is the big difference this gen, as, unlike Blissey, it isn't 2HKOed w/o Stealth Rock this gen. So it's another level of support vanilla Zard needs.

However, there are a few positives. Sticky Web is still an option that makes up for meh speed, and Talonflame is a great resource for both breaking through faster threats or setting up Tailwinds. Even better, Zard can't be stalled out any more, as sun doesn't last long enough to do that. Lastly, once OR/AS rolls in (assuming it's not banned) Mega-Diancie can be a terrific partner that can keep SR off the field and destroy T-Tar and Heatran.

So, yeah, it still needs a massive degree of support, but if you have the right sun team, it might just be worth it.

I gave vanilla Specs SP Charizard a try for the first time in a very long time. Figured I'd give my thoughts a year into Gen 6

It's interesting, on a sun team, Specs SP Charizard is basically the most powerful wallbreaker you can get, being able to take down nearly every defensive in OU. The only non-set-up attackers I can think of that are stronger are Specs Chandelure switching with a flash fire boost in the sun, and SP Mega Houndoom with a flash fire boost in the sun, and those are much more situational. (I guess there's Kyogre's Water Spout, but that's Ubers)

A few damage calcs
252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz in Sun: 501-589 (118.4 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Rotom-W in Sun: 189-223 (62.1 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 274-324 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Chansey is the big difference this gen, as, unlike Blissey, it isn't 2HKOed w/o Stealth Rock this gen. So it's another level of support vanilla Zard needs.

However, there are a few positives. Sticky Web is still an option that makes up for meh speed, and Talonflame is a great resource for both breaking through faster threats or setting up Tailwinds. Even better, Zard can't be stalled out any more, as sun doesn't last long enough to do that. Lastly, once OR/AS rolls in (assuming it's not banned) Mega-Diancie can be a terrific partner that can keep SR off the field and destroy T-Tar and Heatran.

So, yeah, it still needs a massive degree of support, but if you have the right sun team, it might just be worth it.
Ninetails has no place in OU anymore. Seeing as how that's the only other Poke with drought its another slot you have to fill putting you at half your team decided for you.

Ninetails has no place in OU anymore. Seeing as how that's the only other Poke with drought its another slot you have to fill putting you at half your team decided for you.
*Ninetales, sorry that's a pet peeve of mine

Anyway, I can't really agree or disagree because I haven't spent that much time with a serious sun team (as in built around sun, Zard Y doesn't count), but this article from the last issue of "The Smog" is interesting.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue36/sun-viability

Speaking theoretically, while the turn limit hurts, Sun also lost it's archnemesis of dedicated Rain/Sand teams and benefits from more options for hazard control, more viable fire types, and a great priority attacker in Talonflame. So it doesn't look completely terrible.

Anyway, I can't really agree or disagree because I haven't spent that much time with a serious sun team (as in built around sun, Zard Y doesn't count), but this article from the last issue of "The Smog" is interesting.

Speaking theoretically, while the turn limit hurts, Sun also lost it's archnemesis of dedicated Rain/Sand teams and benefits from more options for hazard control, more viable fire types, and a great priority attacker in Talonflame. So it doesn't look completely terrible.
Sand offense is still pretty prevalent in OU, and in all fairness, T-Tar doesn't even HAVE to be part of a dedicated sand team to stop other forms of weather.

Also, with the imminent release of Mega Swampert, if you have played on the ORAS OU ladder as of late, rain teams are becoming MUCH more common again.

That's all sun teams really are, ZardY, it has to "count". Again specs solar power zard is essentially 3 pokemon if you want it to work. Zard himself, a way to remove rocks, and a way to set up sun. That's already half of your team REQUIRED to get this gimmick at best of a set to work. It doesn't help that base 100 speed is meh.

Zard cant set sun himself, so it requires another poke to set it, if it wants to abuse it it needs a heat rock which means no Leftovers, which means you'll likely need a wish passer. 4 team slots all to use a stupid charizard.

TLDR; it's not worth the effort.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Specs Solar Power Charizard wasn't even mentioned once in that article, and for good reason. Like MuhFugginMoose said it's not worth the effort for something that's super easy to shut down and requires more support than the already support-heavy Mega Charizard Y. Just don't use it.

That's all sun teams really are, ZardY, it has to "count". Again specs solar power zard is essentially 3 pokemon if you want it to work. Zard himself, a way to remove rocks, and a way to set up sun. That's already half of your team REQUIRED to get this gimmick at best of a set to work. It doesn't help that base 100 speed is meh.

Zard cant set sun himself, so it requires another poke to set it, if it wants to abuse it it needs a heat rock which means no Leftovers, which means you'll likely need a wish passer. 4 team slots all to use a stupid charizard.

TLDR; it's not worth the effort.
Zard Y teams aren't typically built around sun. At most, a Zard Y user just maintains an awareness that there will be sun at some points on the team. That's why I'm not counting it as a "Sun-team"

I agree, that's why I said "If you have the right team". As in if you have a team that has a way to set up sun and a way to remove rocks, then it MIGHT be worth it for the amount of power it offers. I'm not saying everyone should go out an use the set now. That's stupid. The Megas are incredibly good as it is, so only in very rare cases will you really have reason to run vanilla Zard.

I'm just saying it is very powerful, and in some situations it might be worth using.

Specs Solar Power Charizard wasn't even mentioned once in that article, and for good reason. Like MuhFugginMoose said it's not worth the effort for something that's super easy to shut down and requires more support than the already support-heavy Mega Charizard Y. Just don't use it.
I don't see how Mega Y is support-heavy. It needs some support from Defog/RS, but that's all it needs to do it's job as a wall-breaker/nuke.

Karxrida

I don't see how Mega Y is support-heavy. It needs some support from Defog/RS, but that's all it needs to do it's job as a wall-breaker/nuke.
It also needs a Pursuit Trapper like Scarf Tyranitar or Bisharp to take care of the Latis and wear Chansey down into 2HKO range. Tyranitar has an easier time with the Latis with the bonus of resetting your Sun whenever it comes in, while Bisharp has Knock Off and deals with Chansey better.

It also needs a Pursuit Trapper like Scarf Tyranitar or Bisharp to take care of the Latis and wear Chansey down into 2HKO range. Tyranitar has an easier time with the Latis with the bonus of resetting your Sun whenever it comes in, while Bisharp has Knock Off and deals with Chansey better.

I don't get how that really counts as support. When I think of support I think of something a Pokemon fundamentally needs to function in OU (like a way to remove hazards for a 4X weak poke). A way to deal with the Latis+Chansey (doesn't necessarily have to be Pursuit) is a good idea when you are building a team with Charizard Y in it, just like a way to deal with Rotom W is a good idea when you are building a team with Talonflame in it and a way to deal with Magnezone is a good idea when you are building a team with Skarmory in it, but that's just team building.

I don't get how that really counts as support. When I think of support I think of something a Pokemon fundamentally needs to function in OU (like a way to remove hazards for a 4X weak poke). A way to deal with the Latis+Chansey (doesn't necessarily have to be Pursuit) is a good idea when you are building a team with Charizard Y in it, just like a way to deal with Rotom W is a good idea when you are building a team with Talonflame in it and a way to deal with Magnezone is a good idea when you are building a team with Skarmory in it, but that's just team building.
"granting something a way to deal with x" is pretty much a textbook definition of 'supporting' something. It's light and indirect support, but it's support nonetheless. If Chansey or the Latis come out onto the field and your Megazard Y has no teammates who can take them down, you're in for a stallfest at best, and a loss at worst.

To reiterate: 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 156-184 (24.2 - 28.6%) -- 98.6% chance to 4HKO
You aren't beating Chansey anytime soon. Even if you manage to Smashpass onto it, Focus Miss is still Focus Miss and probably won't 2HKO Chansey due to the shaky accuracy alone.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 200-236 (66.2 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
That's a variant set too, Megazard Y doesn't usually carry Dragon Pulse... but meanwhile...
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 208-246 (70 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Latios outspeeds Megazard Y, we all know exactly who wins one-on-one.

So in order to properly do it's job as a Sun-fueled Special Wallbreaker, Mega Charizard Y needs these things off the field.

You know what else it wants off the field? Opposing Weather-setters. Especially Rain, a well-timed Politoed swap can put an end to a Megazard Y's offensive reign of terror quickly.

However, unlike Specs Charizard, Mega Charizard Y has some staying power and a bit of support capability in addition to raw offensive capabilities, which tends to be worth the effort of keeping it alive.

"granting something a way to deal with x" is pretty much a textbook definition of 'supporting' something. It's light and indirect support, but it's support nonetheless. If Chansey or the Latis come out onto the field and your Megazard Y has no teammates who can take them down, you're in for a stallfest at best, and a loss at worst.

To reiterate: 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 156-184 (24.2 - 28.6%) -- 98.6% chance to 4HKO
You aren't beating Chansey anytime soon. Even if you manage to Smashpass onto it, Focus Miss is still Focus Miss and probably won't 2HKO Chansey due to the shaky accuracy alone.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 200-236 (66.2 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
That's a variant set too, Megazard Y doesn't usually carry Dragon Pulse... but meanwhile...
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 208-246 (70 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Latios outspeeds Megazard Y, we all know exactly who wins one-on-one.

So in order to properly do it's job as a Sun-fueled Special Wallbreaker, Mega Charizard Y needs these things off the field.

You know what else it wants off the field? Opposing Weather-setters. Especially Rain, a well-timed Politoed swap can put an end to a Megazard Y's offensive reign of terror quickly.

However, unlike Specs Charizard, Mega Charizard Y has some staying power and a bit of support capability in addition to raw offensive capabilities, which tends to be worth the effort of keeping it alive.
Okay, I just thought of "supporting" in a different way. But a few things.

Zard Y doesn't use non STAB coverage moves unless there is a 4X difference in their effectiveness. This is why Air Slash is an utter garbage move on Zard Y, and I facepalm hard when I see it.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 160-190 (24.9 - 29.5%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
Not much better, but a bit.

As for Latios, speaking from experience, you don't usually carry Dragon Pulse to win one-on-ones (Unless you are running Flame Charge or Tailwind as well, which is rare). You carry it to beat or do serious damage to switch-ins. Since Latios doesn't usually run Roost and tends to carry a Life Orb, 66.2-78.1% damage is a big deal.

Weather-setters are kind of a mixed bag. Yes, Politoed or T-Tar switching in can rain out (or sand out?) Zard-Y's day. But at the same time, you shouldn't be using SolarBeam against a competent opponent that has an opposite weather setter, and Focus Blast wrecks Offensive T-Tar switch-ins. Additionally, for rain, it's a two way street, with Sun messing with Rain to a degree as well, and Zard Y getting the benefit of setting weather last on the turn it mega evolves.

Zard Y really isn't that tough to support. Psychic is a garbage defensive type, so teams tend to have coverage for Lati@s in the first place, and Chansey tends to be a problem most teams should be prepared for in the first place (I miss Aegislash)

I can't use Fire blast, I just can't. It doesn't miss that much but when it does you either A) Lose your charizard/take really unnecessary damage, or B) Miss out on weakening a switch-in or something that needed to be weakened that will then go on to cause massive issues for you throughout the game.

I've been running Flamethrower on a modest variant recently and I enjoy it so much more. Modest flamethrower is still around 6-9% weaker than timid fire blast (fucking insane I know, fire blast is a total nuke) but it still hits absurdly hard and doesn't ever miss.
From my experiences running Mega Gardevoir on a team I've learned that in today's metagame the difference between timid and modest on a base 100 is really not noticeable at all barring jolly drill which is uncommon, so that's why I run modest. Speaking of mega gardevoir, a timid flamethrower hits harder than a modest hyper voice LOL. I've been using charizard for a while now and I really can't get over how powerful this thing really is.

Anyway, yeah, IMO Flamethrower > Fire blast.
What do you guys think?

I can't use Fire blast, I just can't. It doesn't miss that much but when it does you either A) Lose your charizard/take really unnecessary damage, or B) Miss out on weakening a switch-in or something that needed to be weakened that will then go on to cause massive issues for you throughout the game.

I've been running Flamethrower on a modest variant recently and I enjoy it so much more. Modest flamethrower is still around 6-9% weaker than timid fire blast (fucking insane I know, fire blast is a total nuke) but it still hits absurdly hard and doesn't ever miss.
From my experiences running Mega Gardevoir on a team I've learned that in today's metagame the difference between timid and modest on a base 100 is really not noticeable at all barring jolly drill which is uncommon, so that's why I run modest. Speaking of mega gardevoir, a timid flamethrower hits harder than a modest hyper voice LOL. I've been using charizard for a while now and I really can't get over how powerful this thing really is.

Anyway, yeah, IMO Flamethrower > Fire blast.
What do you guys think?
It's more of a risk and reward scenario when you look at it. Most of us run the higher power, less accurate moves to guarantee certain OHKOs or 2HKOs that you wouldn't otherwise get with the smaller BP moves. That's why you never see Surf or Scald Greninja as much as Hydro Pump. The misses suck, but it has to be used in most cases.

That being said, Modest Yzard's Flamethrower still hits ridiculously hard thanks to Drought and very high SpA. I think with Web support, Modest Yzard w/ Flamethrower can shrek unprepared teams. In one of these scenarios with power versus accuracy, I believe Yzard is the exception where running the more accurate move pays off in the end.

CLEAR!

Defib tester in use.jpg

I'm such a God at Photoshop ;u;

Anyway, I really like the bulky DD Zard X set, but I've noticed that you're going to need to start running more speed if you wish to outpace some of the new megas after a boost, mainly Lopunny and Sceptile.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 144 HP / 164 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

This is a set I came up with. After a DD, it can outpace up to max speed Timid Mega Sceptile. I didn't want to jeopardize the famous bulk on Bulky DD Zard X, so I went ahead and actually cut some of the Attack EVs, as crazy as that sounds. Even when not at max Attack, it still hits harder than max attack Jolly Zard X ever would, and can still do lots of damage to the opposing team.

Thoughts?

It's more of a risk and reward scenario when you look at it. Most of us run the higher power, less accurate moves to guarantee certain OHKOs or 2HKOs that you wouldn't otherwise get with the smaller BP moves. That's why you never see Surf or Scald Greninja as much as Hydro Pump. The misses suck, but it has to be used in most cases.

That being said, Modest Yzard's Flamethrower still hits ridiculously hard thanks to Drought and very high SpA. I think with Web support, Modest Yzard w/ Flamethrower can shrek unprepared teams. In one of these scenarios with power versus accuracy, I believe Yzard is the exception where running the more accurate move pays off in the end.
Well Fire Blast helps you 2HKO Latios and Gyarados after rocks which I think flamethrower just can't do.....

Well Fire Blast helps you 2HKO Latios and Gyarados after rocks which I think flamethrower just can't do.....
That's the trade off. Accuracy over power. Fire Blast is generally the preferred move for wall breaking with Zard Y, but some people like to play it safe, so they run Flamethrower instead. Usually when I run Flamethrower on my Yzard, I like to wear down the opponent enough so Flamethrower gains 2HKOs or just straight up finishes foes off.

That's the trade off. Accuracy over power. Fire Blast is generally the preferred move for wall breaking with Zard Y, but some people like to play it safe, so they run Flamethrower instead. Usually when I run Flamethrower on my Yzard, I like to wear down the opponent enough so Flamethrower gains 2HKOs or just straight up finishes foes off.
Agreed. However, the issue here is if Zard-Y was a sweeper then that's fine, but Zard-Y is a wallbreaker. It's the one that you are supposed to use to wear down opponents with so that something like Talonflame/ninja/ddnite can finish them off and sweep unhindered. But then again a gyarados at 15-20% doesn't really make much of a difference to those few........ Oh wait Intimidate

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
CLEAR!

View attachment 32301
I'm such a God at Photoshop ;u;

Anyway, I really like the bulky DD Zard X set, but I've noticed that you're going to need to start running more speed if you wish to outpace some of the new megas after a boost, mainly Lopunny and Sceptile.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
EVs: 144 HP / 164 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

This is a set I came up with. After a DD, it can outpace up to max speed Timid Mega Sceptile. I didn't want to jeopardize the famous bulk on Bulky DD Zard X, so I went ahead and actually cut some of the Attack EVs, as crazy as that sounds. Even when not at max Attack, it still hits harder than max attack Jolly Zard X ever would, and can still do lots of damage to the opposing team.

Thoughts?
As much as I love the power on Mega Zard X, personally I really don't think Mega Zard-X should be running anything less than enough to outspeed Scarf Lando-T. Seeing as how it's the #1 most used Pokemon right now AND Scarf is arguably its most common set, allowing Lando-T to always check you at +1 is really annoying, and keeps you from sweeping a lot earlier. Hell, some people rely solely on there Scarf Lando-T to beat Zard-X, so being able to outspeed it and pick it off once it's weakened opens the door for a potential sweep later on in the match and helps out your teammates too. This spread is my personal favorite:

EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

With those Speed EVs and a Jolly nature it outspeeds Scarf Lando-T at +1, and it easily dies to a +0 Flare Blitz after Stealth Rock, so it hardly even needs to be weakened in order to beat it. The HP EVs are so it can avoid the 2HKO from Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, as well as Adamant Bisharp's LO Knock Off, letting it set up all over non SD Bisharp with ease. The rest is dumped into Attack, so it can hit as hard as possible. Yeah Adamant does miss out on quite a few OHKOs, especially before it sets up, however the ability to keep Scarf Landorus-T from checking you after a boost with rocks on the field is pretty amazing, and you still retain a decent amount of bulk and a good amount of power. There are millions of spreads that Zard X can run, but in my opinion this is the most optimal spread at the moment, as it accomplishes a lot of cool things.

Surprisingly seen very little of Y lately. It seems as powerful as ever and is also a fantastic answer to mega Sableye (especially foul play variants, CM not so much). Base 100 speed is subpar now but it's still insane to switch into. Thinking he might pair up nicely with Terrakion considering they both bait and wear down the Lati twins, whilst they work to destroy what walls the other. Drought taking the water weakness away from Terrak is a nice touch too.

I think its a bit of new toy syndrome with all the new megas, It arguably got better as a wallbreaker, since it beats mega sabeleye and mega slowbro in addition to all the things it beat before. Its speed has never been more than average anyway so I don't think it was affected as much as by all the new fast stuff running around as say keldeo. As far as teambuilding goes he still works well on sand teams resetting t tar's weather and visa versa while adding synergy by being a special nuke and beating many of the pokemon that give sand trouble. Of course he also still works on classic force of nature style teams but anyway I have still been using him at least and he is definitely still a great mon

Been recently trying out zard x on an HO team, it's working really well. Here is the spread that I have been using:

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Outspeeds standard scarf landorus-t after one dragon dance, and then you can OHKO it with flare blitz. I've been using it on a team with azelf as a suicide taunter and SR setter, with belly drum azu too. Charizard and azu really help each other out, with azumarill taking care of stuff like heatran, mega diancie, and scarf latios, while zard x takes care of annoying things like mega venu, amoonguss, and ferrothorn. This core has some trouble with mega slowbro, so I added raikou as a birdspam check and slowbro check. It's a really cool core that I thought would be nice sharing.

I think its a bit of new toy syndrome with all the new megas, It arguably got better as a wallbreaker, since it beats mega sabeleye and mega slowbro in addition to all the things it beat before. Its speed has never been more than average anyway so I don't think it was affected as much as by all the new fast stuff running around as say keldeo. As far as teambuilding goes he still works well on sand teams resetting t tar's weather and visa versa while adding synergy by being a special nuke and beating many of the pokemon that give sand trouble. Of course he also still works on classic force of nature style teams but anyway I have still been using him at least and he is definitely still a great mon
That was essentially my thought process on why I don't see Yzard anymore, and while I myself am more biased towards Xzard in terms of favorites, there's no denying Yzard's ferocious power.

People say how Mega Altaria stops Yzard, but I say this to them. What can Mega Altaria do back while unboosted by DD?

Assuming Mega Altaria's running an offensive DD set:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria in Sun: 150-177 (51.5 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 118-139 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Altaria sure can't switch in to a Fire Blast, that's for sure, unless it runs a bulkier 248 HP spread, and even then:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Altaria in Sun: 150-177 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Been recently trying out zard x on an HO team, it's working really well. Here is the spread that I have been using:

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Outspeeds standard scarf landorus-t after one dragon dance, and then you can OHKO it with flare blitz. I've been using it on a team with azelf as a suicide taunter and SR setter, with belly drum azu too. Charizard and azu really help each other out, with azumarill taking care of stuff like heatran, mega diancie, and scarf latios, while zard x takes care of annoying things like mega venu, amoonguss, and ferrothorn. This core has some trouble with mega slowbro, so I added raikou as a birdspam check and slowbro check. It's a really cool core that I thought would be nice sharing.
This can only happen if SR is on their side of the field, mind you, and even then, if they're running 24 Def like some do now, it's about an 81% OHKO chance (it's still a high chance, but eh)

Last edited:
Sash azelf is almost guaranteed to get rocks on the opponent's side. Against mega sableye, just switch into zard x and use it as set up fodder.

Karxrida

Sash azelf is almost guaranteed to get rocks on the opponent's side. Against mega sableye, just switch into zard x and use it as set up fodder.
Sash Azelf has some hard stops like Taunt Thundurus and Mega Lopunny with Fake Out (as a bonus also stops a ton of other hazard leads without them doing shit back, unlike Thundy which dies to Mamoswine).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)