Pokemon Shuffle General Discussion

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The latest Pokemon game is out, it's a Free2Play/Pay2Win.

Gameplay:
Swap mons on a board to get points, if you defeat the Pokemon in less turns you get a higher chance of catching the Pokemon. You can also get bonuses to help you with turn number, and ease of catching. Like all Pokemon games type effectiveness matters, and some Pokemon have different abilities when you bring them in.

Hearts:
To fight you need a heart, and every half hour you get one heart, you can hold five hearts maximum.

Pay2Win:
Through the eshop you can buy jewels, which can be exchanged for currency to buy powerups, or to buy more hearts. If you really want to burn through the game, do this I guess.

Streetpassing:
This will help you get stuff, so you don't have to pay. Or just wait patiently to get more hearts every 30 minutes. Your call mate.

I'm sure we will be a bit slow at first. But I'm interested in hearing the strats people use to maximize the enjoyment out of this game (ideally without paying of course). Right now I'm going to try and slowly collects jewels and redeem for a ton of hearts. I'm not sure how fast it is to collect them but I'm hoping I can get 6 in a week.

DHR EDIT: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1hF-TquHrYSY4dP8K_LUsd13HXBx9ck_klASiNKrGVck/htmlview# Brief walkthrough/Help guide

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mq
Honestly, this has been a pretty fun pick-up-and-play game. There have been parts where it's felt addictive and I feel it is made in such a manner where it's an improvement over the general candy crush formula while adding in something that fits Pokémon and benefits the game of the whole.
However, like MGS Ground Zeroes, this would be perfect... if it wasn't for the blatant money grabbing. If I'm correct, this is the first time Nintendo has ever done Microtransactions, one of the most disgusting tactics used in modern marketing, and I'm very worried for the precedent it sets.

this is how they earn money... through addiction
I refuse to pay (for the moment :)) ! And I will try to streetpass a lot :D

Does Pokemon evolve ? For example, my Bulbasaur is level 4 ... Will it evolve at level 16 (or before) ?
Is is important to train the same pokemon or gotta catch'em all and use the best type effectiveness (and fu** if I use level 1-2 Pkmn) ?

So they're doing a Pokémon of the Day thing in the Special section. I'm only at Phanphy, but I managed to catch a Rotom-Frost that is a big help. I predict each day will be another Rotom form. Maybe he'll help me against that accursed Mew and its base 10% catch rate. I can usually beat Mew, but only with around ~1-2 moves left.

Catched Rotom Frost and he took me 5 times to catch it (all my hearts :(). I did always have probability > 50%. THE GAME LIES ! (Less than 3% :()

I refuse to pay (for the moment :)) ! And I will try to streetpass a lot :D

Does Pokemon evolve ? For example, my Bulbasaur is level 4 ... Will it evolve at level 16 (or before) ?
Is is important to train the same pokemon or gotta catch'em all and use the best type effectiveness (and fu** if I use level 1-2 Pkmn) ?
Nope, they don't evolve. You catch their evolutions later.

The game is fun, but I think I prefer to just get Battle Trozei and play all the time without waiting. Also, the tutorial takes a tad too long and spells things out a little too much.
Also, a redhead named Amelia? Did anyone else think of Doctor Who at that point?

The game is fun, but I think I prefer to just get Battle Trozei and play all the time without waiting. Also, the tutorial takes a tad too long and spells things out a little too much.
Also, a redhead named Amelia? Did anyone else think of Doctor Who at that point?
Yeah... it made me sad.
How does this game compare to Trozei, tho? Is it basically the same thing just without megas?

Yeah... it made me sad.
How does this game compare to Trozei, tho? Is it basically the same thing just without megas?
Sad? I just use this as an excuse to retcon "The Angels Take Manhattan" to having Amy and Rory sent into the Pokémon universe!
From what I can tell, yes. You are also unable to prepare combos once they start falling in Shuffle.

Got Heat Rotom first try lol. The catch rate and amount of moves it takes to beat seems much less lenient than Frost, tho.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just got this game today...I love it a lot actually, haha. I enjoy it a lot more than Battle Trozei, at least so far. In a lot of ways it's comparable to Battle Trozei but certain things make it better. I like that there's no timer, instead you just have a set number of moves you have to win in. It really takes the stress off for me. I also like that you only battle one Pokemon at a time, rather than going through a whole stage full of Pokemon, I wasn't really a fan of that. Finally, I love that there is somewhat of a story and human characters. Like Vader_the_White said, the tutorial is really long. I didn't even realize it was a tutorial until Amelia left, I assumed she was just going to follow you around everywhere. I didn't mind the tutorial that much though, it didn't needlessly drag on like some other games, and Amelia is pretty cute so it wasn't too bad looking at her the whole time.

I dislike the free-to-play pay-to-win system though. I enjoy the game but I probably won't be spending a whole lot of my cash on it.

One good thing about Shuffle vs Trozei is the ability to bring up to four Pokémon into the fray, giving you more control over type match ups. It is amazing how you will in fact have no good matchups 99% of the time, making the coolest mechanic useless. Also, the whole Trozei combo feature is broken as hell, often letting me win without much effort while Shuffle actually makes me earn it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)