Resource Creative and Underrated Sets: ORAS Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS, Read Post #419)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disclaimer: I don't think this is an amazing set but it is definitely not used much if at all and has decent use as a late game cleaner which can also weaken stuff early game since it can Roost up.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Agility
- Roost

Thanks to its nice typing, Altaria can set up an Agility fairly easily. If you set up late game, not everything has to be in OHKO range because of Altaria's nice bulk, as long as most things are OHKO'd and a select threat or two is 2HKO'd without being able to deal too much back, it can sweep. I do think more power with a Modest Nature would be nice, but I'm running Timid so that I don't get bopped by Bisharp or other Altarias and also so that I can outspeed threats such as Sand Rush Excadrill and Kingdra in their respective weathers after an Agility. My team is kinda weak to Rain and I set up my own sand so that's why I made that choice, but I think Modest could be decent as well.

Replays:
Neither of these are great matches but they do showcase the power of Agility Altaria. I regret not saving the replay from a PS OU room tournament that I won as that also showed its power although it didn't finish the game for me.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-214253943
I admit this guy's team was a little weird (LO Talonflame lol) but this was not low ladder. You do see though that a DD Altaria would have failed to sweep because his Keldeo had Icy Wind.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-215264657
This guy didn't play great but his team was pretty weak to Agility Altaria so I probably would have been able to set up a sweep anyway by sacking something to his Keldeo. Timid Hyper Voice 2HKOs Gyarados if he chooses not to Mega Evolve and he cannot OHKO back so I had it in the bag.

Edit: oh yeah I also regret missing out on a sweep of a Rain Team where I lost a 50/50 otherwise it woulda been epic. :(
Couldn't you sacrifice some speed EVs for some bulk? Even with it's amazing typing, 80/110/110 uninvested doesn't seem brilliant.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I think the EV spread could definitely be changed to fit team needs. For my team it just needs all the speed and power it can get really, but there is probably a better EV spread. I toyed around with some other stuff but after getting outsped by a Sand Rush Exca and losing to max jolly Altarias I just went max/max

Disclaimer: I don't think this is an amazing set but it is definitely not used much if at all and has decent use as a late game cleaner which can also weaken stuff early game since it can Roost up.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Agility
- Roost

Thanks to its nice typing, Altaria can set up an Agility fairly easily. If you set up late game, not everything has to be in OHKO range because of Altaria's nice bulk, as long as most things are OHKO'd and a select threat or two is 2HKO'd without being able to deal too much back, it can sweep. I do think more power with a Modest Nature would be nice, but I'm running Timid so that I don't get bopped by Bisharp or other Altarias and also so that I can outspeed threats such as Sand Rush Excadrill and Kingdra in their respective weathers after an Agility. My team is kinda weak to Rain and I set up my own sand so that's why I made that choice, but I think Modest could be decent as well.

Replays:
Neither of these are great matches but they do showcase the power of Agility Altaria. I regret not saving the replay from a PS OU room tournament that I won as that also showed its power although it didn't finish the game for me.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-214253943
I admit this guy's team was a little weird (LO Talonflame lol) but this was not low ladder. You do see though that a DD Altaria would have failed to sweep because his Keldeo had Icy Wind.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-215264657
This guy didn't play great but his team was pretty weak to Agility Altaria so I probably would have been able to set up a sweep anyway by sacking something to his Keldeo. Timid Hyper Voice 2HKOs Gyarados if he chooses not to Mega Evolve and he cannot OHKO back so I had it in the bag.

Edit: oh yeah I also regret missing out on a sweep of a Rain Team where I lost a 50/50 otherwise it woulda been epic. :(
Going with Kurona's post, with a Modest nature and 96 speed EVs you outspeed Mega Aerodactyl after one Agility. If you want to get super fast you can use a Timid nature with 176 speed EVs to outspeed Scarf Gengar, though that seems like overkill.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright I can list some alternate EV spreads because I agree mine isn't the greatest, but I don't think there needs to be 1 standard spread for it.

Edit noooo forget i just edited

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
i can vouch for the physically defensive volc set a page back.

-showing how much this guy can come in clutch: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-215653611
Volcarona did literally nothing until the end, and you could have lost if he didn't choke and use Moonblast when Diamond Storm would have killed Azumarill.

On an unrelated note, I think I edited this post about 5 times.

Last edited:
Volcarona did literally nothing until the end, and you would have lost if he didn't choke and use Moonblast when Azumarill was almost dead.
yeah, i guess that one didn't showcase him as well, but i've been in many scenarios where volcarona beats things like megagross, mega lop, and mega gallade. i've recently changed sub to quiver dance, and it sets up well on rotom-w after heatrans and birds have been dealt with, as after a quiver it takes hydro pumps pretty well and can roost of the damage. it also took a +1 outrage from a dragonite the other day and got the burn off, saving the team. seems good i think.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Sorry, but I feel this excuse shouldn't be allowed. Seriously, anyone can say this set has helped me a lot, but they forgot to save any replays.
Froggyboy I allowed that because the set itself has seen a ton of usage in SPL and has been successful if not one of Garchomps best sets in the meta right now. Under normal circumstances yes if you don't have a replay, half decent to match the criteria set on post 419 and clones posts afterwards, it'll get deleted. However this was an exception based on the sets performance.

Ah ok, I would just feel it would be better that they posted replays anyway, as newer players would probably get confused.

I'm not ranked high enough in OU to vouch for this set personally, but the item has 11% usage on Togekiss on the 1825 ladder, second to Leftovers, and is on Smogon's D/P and B/W pages.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast/
- Aura Sphere/Trick

The appeal here over scarfed Gardevoir and revenge killer Talonflame comes from racking up flinches with Air Slash, fantastic super-effective coverage, and the nifty 20% chance to burn with Flamethrower. There are some downsides, though. It doesn't have the power to break through Pokemon like specially defensive Heatran, and it just barely gets outsped by Jolly Mega Beedrill and +1 Mega Gyarados.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Crobat
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe (Outspeeds base 115s and below, the most important Speed benchmark for Crobat to hit)
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Super Fang / Defog / Toxic
- Taunt
- Roost

Enter Crobat, a mon often ridiculed for being bad in OU. While this is true to an extent, its actually fairly decent in practice. It has a great defensive typing, good bulk, and an awesome Speed tier. All of these traits enable Crobat to act as a decent stallbreaker akin to Mew, but with certain advantages over it. First and foremost, it lacks a Knock Off and U-Turn weakness, which leaves it less susceptible to being worn down when switching in. It also has a great 4x resistance to fighting, grass, and bug moves, which enables it to be a great check to mons like Keldeo while full out countering mega Venusaur. Finally, and most importantly, it has a toxic immunity, which prevents it from being stalled out by defensive teams, with the most notable being Heatran and certain lure mons. Furthermore, Crobat has super fang, which enables it to reliably beat any defensive mon bar Sableye guaranteed when used in tandem with taunt. It also has infiltrator, so mons like. Sub CM Keldeo and Celebi cannot get free turns like against many other Pokémon (Keldeo has a very small chance of living if it gets a single turn of lefties recovery. Otherwise it dies from the sub damage).

I'm not gonna sit here and say that Crobat is an amazing mon, but it does have uses for select teams that need a utility fairy check that isn't 4x weak to rocks or weak to flamethrower, while still putting in work against S rank mons such as Keldeo and Altaria.

Relevant calcs:
+1 192+ Atk Altaria Return vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Crobat: 119-141 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 93.3% chance to 3HKO
+2 192+ Atk Altaria Return vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Crobat: 158-187 (42.3 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Crobat Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 236-282 (73 - 87.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after 3 layers of Spikes

Heres a replay showcasing Crobat in action: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-219187771 <- This game was not on the ladder, but I can assure you that the guy I faced knows what he is doing, even if his plays were questionable at times. It also shows how good DD Mega Alt is late game.

Last edited:

Crobat
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe (Outspeeds base 115s and below, the most important Speed benchmark for Crobat to hit)
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Super Fang / Defog / Toxic
- Taunt
- Roost

Enter Crobat, a mon often ridiculed for being bad in OU. While this is true to an extent, its actually fairly decent in practice. It has a great defensive typing, good bulk, and an awesome Speed tier. All of these traits enable Crobat to act as a decent stallbreaker akin to Mew, but with certain advantages over it. First and foremost, it lacks a Knock Off and U-Turn weakness, which leaves it less susceptible to being worn down when switching in. It also has a great 4x resistance to fighting, grass, and bug moves, which enables it to be a great check to mons like Keldeo while full out countering mega Venusaur. Finally, and most importantly, it has a toxic immunity, which prevents it from being stalled out by defensive teams, with the most notable being Heatran and certain lure mons. Furthermore, Crobat has super fang, which enables it to reliably beat any defensive mon bar Sableye guaranteed when used in tandem with taunt. It also has infiltrator, so mons like. Sub CM Keldeo and Celebi cannot get free turns like against many other Pokémon (Keldeo has a very small chance of living if it gets a single turn of lefties recovery. Otherwise it dies from the sub damage).

I'm not gonna sit here and say that Crobat is an amazing mon, but it does have uses for select teams that need a utility fairy check that isn't 4x weak to rocks or weak to flamethrower, while still putting in work against S rank mons such as Keldeo and Altaria.

Relevant calcs:
+1 192+ Atk Altaria Return vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Crobat: 119-141 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 93.3% chance to 3HKO
+2 192+ Atk Altaria Return vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Crobat: 158-187 (42.3 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Crobat Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 236-282 (73 - 87.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after 3 layers of Spikes

Heres a replay showcasing Crobat in action: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-219187771 <- This game was not on the ladder, but I can assure you that the guy I faced knows what he is doing.
Forgive my ignorance but why would you run Acrobatics over Brave Bird? Oh, and is the lack of item just for boosting Acrobatics's power and lowering Knock Off damage because Leftovers seems usable on such a set.

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Substitute / Fire Spin
- Fire Blast / Hurricane

Sorry about the no replays, I'm mobiling so I can't get any. Anyway, it looks gimmicky but it isn't. This set an switch into many top attackers of OU and burn them, and although Talonflame has priority roost, Moltres's higher Bulk has saved me sometimes, as well as Fire Spin and no recoil. Latias is a must for kee third sleping away rocks. Willo and Roost are mandatory. For the third slot Fire Spin is recommended to trap foes, though sub can be used. Fire Blast is prefferedas it keeps bisharp, latias's main counter in check while Hurricane can be used for Flying STAB. 176 Speed outspeeds max + base 80s which is handy. Now to the calcs:

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Moltres: 166-196 (43.2 - 51%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power burned Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Moltres: 261-307 (67.9 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

valetta

Banned deucer.

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Substitute / Fire Spin
- Fire Blast / Hurricane

Sorry about the no replays, I'm mobiling so I can't get any. Anyway, it looks gimmicky but it isn't. This set an switch into many top attackers of OU and burn them, and although Talonflame has priority roost, Moltres's higher Bulk has saved me sometimes, as well as Fire Spin and no recoil. Latias is a must for kee third sleping away rocks. Willo and Roost are mandatory. For the third slot Fire Spin is recommended to trap foes, though sub can be used. Fire Blast is prefferedas it keeps bisharp, latias's main counter in check while Hurricane can be used for Flying STAB. 176 Speed outspeeds max + base 80s which is handy. Now to the calcs:

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Moltres: 166-196 (43.2 - 51%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power burned Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Moltres: 261-307 (67.9 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Why would I use that over sdef talonflame?

Why would I use that over sdef talonflame?
More bulk, more instant power, can take a CB Azumarill's waterfall, special attacking, surprise factor, able to take physical hits better, can trap with Fspin etc.

Forgive my ignorance but why would you run Acrobatics over Brave Bird? Oh, and is the lack of item just for boosting Acrobatics's power and lowering Knock Off damage because Leftovers seems usable on such a set.
Because u cannot have Brave Bird and SUper Fang on the same set.

Last edited by a moderator:

valetta

Banned deucer.
More bulk, more instant power, can take a CB Azumarill's waterfall, special attacking, surprise factor, able to take physical hits better, can trap with Fspin etc.
First of all neither of these mons have any business staying in on azumarill. Second of all, you still fail to answer my question, why would I use this over a mon that has taunt, priority roost and an actual way of treathening some mons like keldeo out

First of all neither of these mons have any business staying in on azumarill. Second of all, you still fail to answer my question, why would I use this over a mon that has taunt, priority roost and an actual way of treathening some mons like keldeo out
Looks like he answered it pretty well to me, to be honest. Aside from being specially offensive and having more immediate power, 90/90/85 bulk is significantly better than 78/71/69. Not even close, really. Moltres also has Pressure so that with SubRoost, it can stall out things like Stone Edge and wall Pokemon that would otherwise KO it. Priority Roost is really cool, but it can really come back to bite you when you're trying to switch into Landorus and it Earth Powers just as you Roost and lose your Ground immunity. I mean, I personally wouldn't run that exact set if I were to start using Moltres again. The one I used back in XY was specially defensive (although now I'd probably run some physical investment to better handle Mega Metagross), and the moves were Flamethrower / Roost / Toxic or Will-O-Wisp / Substitute or Roar. It was a really cool defensive Pokemon as long as you could keep Stealth Rock off the field (tough, but more than doable), and it looks like it could work decently enough now since it makes a great switch-in to stuff like Landorus, Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, and random Fairies. But yeah, Moltres's main problem as a defensive Pokemon is Stealth Rock, not being outclassed by Talonflame.

Because u cannot have Brave Bird and SUper Fang on the same set.
You can. The reason you'd run Acro over BB imo is so you don't get worn down by your own attack; especially when you're bulky and most of your damage output will be from Super Fang. You'd use Acro to finish things off so not getting worn down by it is reason enough to me.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm running AcroBat because the damage increase from brave bird isn't important enough to warrant usage over a move that still does the damage needed without having recoil. Also, running no item allows me to switch into random knock offs better similarly to how acro Talon does. Black sludge is definitely useful though for negating sand storm damage and lessening the chance of certain 2/3HKOes, but overall the difference is small enough that either one works.

Agent Gibbs covered this, but I'd like to add that Molres is a lot like Talonflame in that it pairs beautifully with the best spinners in the game: Starmie, Excadrill, and Tentacruel.

You might even be able to drop it in to replace Talonflame as a riff on a Starmie/Garchomp/Talonflame core, which could be nice. You could also pair it up with Latias and (M-) Scizor pretty easily. Lots of possibilities here; I'll throw something together later this afternoon.

Looks like he answered it pretty well to me, to be honest. Aside from being specially offensive and having more immediate power, 90/90/85 bulk is significantly better than 78/71/69. Not even close, really. Moltres also has Pressure so that with SubRoost, it can stall out things like Stone Edge and wall Pokemon that would otherwise KO it. Priority Roost is really cool, but it can really come back to bite you when you're trying to switch into Landorus and it Earth Powers just as you Roost and lose your Ground immunity. I mean, I personally wouldn't run that exact set if I were to start using Moltres again. The one I used back in XY was specially defensive (although now I'd probably run some physical investment to better handle Mega Metagross), and the moves were Flamethrower / Roost / Toxic or Will-O-Wisp / Substitute or Roar. It was a really cool defensive Pokemon as long as you could keep Stealth Rock off the field (tough, but more than doable), and it looks like it could work decently enough now since it makes a great switch-in to stuff like Landorus, Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, and random Fairies. But yeah, Moltres's main problem as a defensive Pokemon is Stealth Rock, not being outclassed by Talonflame.
Thanks the reason I ran that much speeed is to outspeed the bunch of base 80s in the OU tier and Roost / Willo before they hit you, but you can change it to your will. Sry, I forgot about toxic, should be Slashed! Roar isn't really a good move on Molt, as it lacks enough resistances to take a hit. Fire Blast>Flamethrower due to MegaGross. I really like F-Spin as it can trap an opponent allowing you to faint a crucial member of the opponents team, and has been really useful. That's all for now.

Thanks the reason I ran that much speeed is to outspeed the bunch of base 80s in the OU tier and Roost / Willo before they hit you, but you can change it to your will. Sry, I forgot about toxic, should be Slashed! Roar isn't really a good move on Molt, as it lacks enough resistances to take a hit. Fire Blast>Flamethrower due to MegaGross. I really like F-Spin as it can trap an opponent allowing you to faint a crucial member of the opponents team, and has been really useful. That's all for now.
Moltres has 6 resistances and a Ground immunity, which is more than enough to take a hit given its decent bulk. The main reason you run Roar is for stuff like DD Mega Altaria with Heal Bell. You can switch into it nicely, but it can eventually boost up enough to 2HKO Moltres. Roar lets you beat Mega Altaria in the long run since you can burn through its Heal Bell PP with Toxic / Will-O-Wisp and phaze it out before it gets too many boosts, so you'll eventually win unless your opponent brings it in as their last Pokemon. There was some other stuff that I used it for back in the day such as Calm Mind Clefable, but I can't remember exactly what else. But yeah, I used Moltres for actual months over the course of XY lol. Trust me, it's a good move.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Gogoat (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SDef / 96 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink
- Horn Leech

Nope, i'm not crazy. Nope, this isn't Gimmick. Or well, this is Gimmick but nope at the same time! This mon is absolutely OP. With 450 HP Points (A Goat-Blissey) around 300 Spdef this monster is able to do 6-0 just clicking obvious moves! His special bulkyness is amazing, and he can tank a Fire Blast from Max Spatk Heatran. The only problem is Physical Defense. So why not Bulk Up? Bulk Up with a 75 Draining stab, access to a Recovery Move and also a Coverage Move like Earthquake to hit Heatran. Also a wonderful switch in on Ferrothorn and Mega Sceptile since Sap Sipper Lemme show some calc and some replay!

♥252 SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Gogoat: 326-386 (72.4 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
♥252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Gogoat: 251-296 (55.7 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
♥252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Gogoat: 169-199 (37.5 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
♥252 SpA Mega Sceptile Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Gogoat: 136-162 (30.2 - 36%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
♥252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Gogoat: 183-217 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
♥252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Gogoat: 165-195 (36.6 - 43.3%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
♥252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Gogoat: 169-201 (37.5 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
♥252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gogoat: 145-172 (32.2 - 38.2%) -- 1.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
♥252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Gogoat: 151-179 (33.5 - 39.7%) -- 22.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
♥+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Gogoat: 370-436 (82.2 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-209803791
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-210842309

GOAT REKT!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)