Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Hey guys, I'm trying to breed a Rocky Helmet Hippowdon (right on the front page) and I've hit a few questions. On the description it states:

"Minimum Speed is desired to underspeed all Aegislash so Hippowdon can hit them with Earthquake in their frailer Blade forme."

By minimum speed I'm not exactly sure if that means IVs as well. I've done calcs and [-spe nature/0spe IV/0spe EV] a lv50 Aegislash hits 112 spe. A Relaxed Hippowdon hits 111spe at 25spe IVs [0spe EV]. Do you guys keep it at 25 to just under speed all the Aegislashes or do you drop it completely to 0 speed?

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Hey guys, I'm trying to breed a Rocky Helmet Hippowdon (right on the front page) and I've hit a few questions. On the description it states:

"Minimum Speed is desired to underspeed all Aegislash so Hippowdon can hit them with Earthquake in their frailer Blade forme."

By minimum speed I'm not exactly sure if that means IVs as well. I've done calcs and [-spe nature/0spe IV/0spe EV] a lv50 Aegislash hits 112 spe. A Relaxed Hippowdon hits 111spe at 25spe IVs [0spe EV]. Do you guys keep it at 25 to just under speed all the Aegislashes or do you drop it completely to 0 speed?
I am pretty sure that a min. speed Aegislash has 58 speed. Did you do the calc at level 50 or 100?

To answer your question if you are able to breed for a specific speed you should but I am personally too lazy to do that. Underspeeding Aegislash is good for the fully special variants but loses to SubToxic and takes tons of damage from WP Swords Dance.

Last edited:

Probably means 0 speed iv along with that negative speed nature. Its how I interpret it.

Last edited:
Demantoid yea that's a typo 112 spe is on a 100 Aegislash. Meant to say 58. A Relaxed Hippowdon at 50 instead hits 57 spe at 25IVs in spe.

a0161613 Yea I thought that's what it meant but I was perplexed by the reasoning by why I would unnecessarily drop my spe to the minimum when 25 does the job and gets the leg up on a few other pokemon around that speed range.

Anyone knows when this season will end and when the next one will begin.
Talking about the next 2016 season, was thinking about trying harder that time and joining each online tournament. Will it be around september this year first or earlier, feels like the current 2015 season is pretty much over?(not been up to date at all lately)

Anyone knows when this season will end and when the next one will begin.
Talking about the next 2016 season, was thinking about trying harder that time and joining each online tournament. Will it be around september this year first or earlier, feels like the current 2015 season is pretty much over?(not been up to date at all lately)
You mean the VGC season? It'll end after worlds in July and fall regionals will be the start of the next season though the ruleset atm seems like it'll be the same due to no new Pokemon game

Where/how do you go and find what top-tier teams are for season 10 currently? I know there are blogs but where can i find currently top-tier teams that are being used by top-tier players?

I don't know where should I post this, but there are no listed analyses in this page. When will the existing ones be added?
I don't think many people here can answer that. That's something that partially relies on whoever codes that stuff. But if you want to check out a list of completed analyses, check out this thread and just scroll down a bit to the bottom of the first post.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know where should I post this, but there are no listed analyses in this page. When will the existing ones be added?
I don't think many people here can answer that. That's something that partially relies on whoever codes that stuff. But if you want to check out a list of completed analyses, check out this thread and just scroll down a bit to the bottom of the first post.
That's me! I did have a list there but it's been taken out of the HTML for some reason. Someone asked this exact question on the last page too and I told them I was working on it. It should be up soon

If anyone has any ideas for that page then fell free to PM me. We're looking for ways to spruce it up a bit :)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
There's an interesting discussion going here about Baton Pass:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uncompetitive-strategies-baton-pass.3537569/

I think Baton Pass is a popular strat on BS. It makes sense to me why. Does anyone use it and have success with it?
I've tried to use dedicated Espeon/Scolipede Baton Pass on multiple occasions and failed to get far every time - I feel like the format is simply far too fast and offensive to be able to properly set up without being swept, particularly in the first couple of turns. It might be an interesting experiment to place the two in a team with four anti-offensive mons (think Mega Gengar, Talonflame, Rotom-Wash, Scizor) and use the BP core to set up on and break through stall cores and slower teams. I'd say that Quick Pass with Gorebyss or Smeargle (or Venomoth y/y) is a valid strategy as it only needs one or two free turns to start to wreak havoc, but that longer chains won't ever work, mostly due to users like Zapdos losing Baton Pass itself thanks to pentagon incompatability, and the fact that you can only bring 3 Pokémon to any given game, drastically reducing the potency of a dedicated BP team. Just my 2c

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I thought entry hazards were fairly bad in Battle Spot? Why do most anayses mention Stealth Rock now?
Entry Hazards are definitely no where near as effective here as they are in 6v6 singles. I've never seen (Toxic) Spikes and Sticky Web has only popped up a few times on the lower ladder. Stealth Rock is pretty much just used to give the omnipresent Talonflame and Charizards a hard time. However, setting up rocks helps break Focus Sashes which are really powerful in this format. There's also no Rapid Spin or Defog so if you get them up they're basically guaranteed to last.

Stealth Rock is by no means a necessity like it is in 6v6, but it's helpful to have if you can spare a moveslot, and if you have something that's weak to it you need to be wary.

Why is it that, on (Rated) Battle Spot Singles, every single team is based around or against Assist Liepard? Is it that common?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Assist Liepard is one of the more irritating cheese strategies that you see on Battle Spot, but I didn't think it was really that common... perhaps you're just unlucky D: I'd say it's seen but definitely not everywhere.

Assist Liepard is one of the more irritating cheese strategies that you see on Battle Spot, but I didn't think it was really that common... perhaps you're just unlucky D: I'd say it's seen but definitely not everywhere.
Alright. Any similar strats lke Assist Liepard that are as annoying or even more annoying? Or just annoying strats in general? I'm fairly New to Battle Spot Singles, so I'm quite curious.

Last edited:

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright. Any similar strats lke Assist Liepard that are as annoying or even more annoying? Or just annoying strats in general? I'm fairly New to Battle Spot Singles, so I'm quite curious.
Hi Fluke! So nice of you to join Battle Spot! (Singles I'm assuming?)
Things to watch out for:
-SwagPlay (Pranksters)
-Things that carry Moody (Glalie/Smeargle)
-Bulky mons with Minimize (Chansey/Clefable)
-Baton Pass (Blaziken/Smeargle)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
the main luck and cheese strats you see are Moody (Glalie), Swagplay (Thundurus, Klefki, Liepard does this too) and Minimize (Drifblim, Clefable, Chansey). Slowbro/Skarmory/Gliscor with Chansey is a common stall core that can picked apart with the right team structure but otherwise walls non-mixed attackers into heck.

the main luck and cheese strats you see are Moody (Glalie), Swagplay (Thundurus, Klefki, Liepard does this too) and Minimize (Drifblim, Clefable, Chansey). Slowbro/Skarmory/Gliscor with Chansey is a common stall core that can picked apart with the right team structure but otherwise walls non-mixed attackers into heck.
Yeah, I've seen a LOT of Swagplay and even Minimize play already. I'm basically forced to always run Lum Berry on my lead. Running Grass-type Pokemon against Spore isn't an option because Prankster Assist into Dark Void.. And then it always comes down to some RNG based move like Swagger in combination with Sub and Foul Play. Moody is indeed also disgusting.

Damn it, Battle Spot Singles isn't fun at all.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Yeah, I've seen a LOT of Swagplay and even Minimize play already. I'm basically forced to always run Lum Berry on my lead. Running Grass-type Pokemon against Spore isn't an option because Prankster Assist into Dark Void.. And then it always comes down to some RNG based move like Swagger in combination with Sub and Foul Play. Moody is indeed also disgusting.
Like Ethan06 said, I think you're just getting unlucky and/or just experiencing low-ladder weirdness if you're running into strategies like that so often. We actually just discussed ways around Thundurus and other Prankster / SwagPlay users in the Victim of the Week thread, so check that out for some inspiration. The good thing about bring 6 pick 3 singles is that you can bring a Pokemon designed to counter those strats but only use it if you suspect it from team preview. But even if you aren't totally prepared for it, those gimmicky strategies aren't what define the Battle Spot Singles metagame, and there are many really cool team structures once you break the 1600 mark.

Damn it, Battle Spot Singles isn't fun at all.
Do you mind not coming here and bashing the format though. You're entitled to your opinion and that's cool, but I don't want anyone getting discouraged to try out what I believe is a really fun meta by reading that sorta stuff...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)