Unpopular opinions

I just wanted to comment on the manticore thing (I'm not dismissing the rest I swear) but I read somewhere that a possible reason GameFreak never makes Pokemon directly based off of a chimera, or a hippogriff, or Griffin, or a satyr or centaur is that all of those beasts look like a bunch of parts stuck together--which most Pokemon aren't. Look at Vaporeon for instance--the fish parts blend so fluidly with its mammalian parts that it looks natural (the tail is more akin to a whale or dolphin than a fish tail, the face fins look like whiskers). Eevee is similar--you can't pin its inspiration down on any one animal, just a generic cutemon mammal. Its face is too round for a Fox's, its ears don't look anything like a cat's, and it's legs are too short to be rabbit legs. Compare that to the manticore pic you posted above, where you can go "mhm, there's the lion head, and the bat wings, and yep, there's the scorpion tail" because those myth-tellers really did make a collage of animal/human traits.

This isn't my opinion, I'm complete trash at Pokemon design. The points made above came from http://www.dragonflycave.com/makefake.aspx (skip down to "Pokemon are not just Animals)
I can see that. Which is why I listed it as an "inspiration" rather than "directly rip off this mythical creature."

But even given set design limits, it is possible to have originality. Like compare these three takes Final Fantasy did on the chimera:

All are still technically a chimera but beyond that don't have much in common with each other.

Bug got a ton of cool and useful moves in Gen 4 and also has some very strong abilities almost exclusively to itself (Tinted Lens, Shield Dust, Compoundeyes). Ice is one of the most brutal offensive types in Gen 1 due to the broken freeze effect and only being resisted by water and itself (Fire only since Gen 2), next to Normal and Psychic. It's terrible to have the type, but it's really good on the offense.
I'm talking about the properties of the type itself so citing abilities that have a tendency to show up on members from it is pretty arbitrary; especially when those abilities tend to be either rare or used mostly on shitmon (caterpie is one of the sole Pokémon to get Shield Dust. joy)
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by nice moves in Gen 4; because three of those (the order moves) are signature moves of Vespiquen, Bug Bite is really bad aside from Scizor/Scyther, Bug Buzz and X-scissor are just the equivalent of Flamethrower and such - just your standard hitting moves - and the only other bug move introduced was the admittedly extremely useful U-turn; a move given to a ton of non-bug types with superior offensive stats anyway.
The point is Bug generally gets the shaft unless it has amazing offences (Volcarona; Mega Beedrill) or... has particularly unique traits to make it effective (Scizor). Most bugs are given low stats, those with decent stats are generally given little to stand out and in general it's just difficult to make a case that it's a good type - Fairy resisting it was just insulting honestly. Should have been the other way round.

XY's features were a lot more fun than ORAS' imo. Contests were pretty boring and monotonous; you get some pretty pictures but at the end of the day it's just a repetitive sidequest that doesn't really give you anything aside from Lucarionite. Soaring is... okay. Mirage Islands just don't feel special after a while since they're all pre-determined and it doesn't take you long to find them all - and hell, during that time you don't have them all it's annoying you don't have access to TMs and Cresselia. Dexnav is bleh and irritating to use. Also burn me at the stake because for some reason I find secret bases really dull and boring.
On the other hand I found myself constantly going back to and experimenting with all the different options with character customization that really brings something new and unique to yourself and everyone you fight - it has it's problems and it definitely needed to be expanded but I love that it's there and it actually has a passive impact upon the game. The Friend Safari was also fun because I found myself rushing to each new one whenever I registered a new friend; kinda felt like a fun special multiplayer aspect in that way (even if my first 3DS had the shittest one lol).
Iunno. I just didn't really enjoy ORAS' stuff as much as XY's.

Last edited by a moderator:
XY's features were a lot more fun than ORAS' imo. Contests were pretty boring and monotonous; you get some pretty pictures but at the end of the day it's just a repetitive sidequest that doesn't really give you anything aside from Lucarionite. Soaring is... okay. Mirage Islands just don't feel special after a while since they're all pre-determined and it doesn't take you long to find them all - and hell, during that time you don't have them all it's annoying you don't have access to TMs and Cresselia. Dexnav is bleh and irritating to use. Also burn me at the stake because for some reason I find secret bases really dull and boring.
On the other hand I found myself constantly going back to and experimenting with all the different options with character customization that really brings something new and unique to yourself and everyone you fight - it has it's problems and it definitely needed to be expanded but I love that it's there and it actually has a passive impact upon the game. The Friend Safari was also fun because I found myself rushing to each new one whenever I registered a new friend; kinda felt like a fun special multiplayer aspect in that way (even if my first 3DS had the shittest one lol).
Iunno. I just didn't really enjoy ORAS' stuff as much as XY's.
In addition to this, regarding all the features that both game pairs have (such as the PSS, Super Training, Pokemon-Amie, Battle Maison, online features and for what it's worth, completing the Pokedex), X/Y has another advantage in that these things were new then, while in OR/AS, players had most likely already experienced and/or completed them in X/Y.

Last edited:
Yeah... at this point I'm kind of inclined to say I enjoyed Y more than Omega Ruby.
I mean I still love all the new Megas - except latis - but eh... I kinda found Y more enjoyable and going back to Omega Ruby is a bit of a chore now. Especially when breeding in OR is torture with the awful breeding routes (at least it's not FRLG breeding...)

Yeah... at this point I'm kind of inclined to say I enjoyed Y more than Omega Ruby.
I mean I still love all the new Megas - except latis - but eh... I kinda found Y more enjoyable and going back to Omega Ruby is a bit of a chore now. Especially when breeding in OR is torture with the awful breeding routes (at least it's not FRLG breeding...)
...Why not just use the hatching path they provided us on the Battle Resort? It's like Lumiose without the motion sickness

Get to a turn, hold up, and you never have to turn again.
There's a certain little problem with that.
It's hard to explain in text; but while you can keep holding the one button for an infinite loop, the camera angle change that happens when you take a turn takes a little while to kick in - like, the camera angle change only happens when you're 1/4 of the way up from the turn or something. What this means is that if an egg hatches during this - something that has happened quite a lot - then it quite inconveniently means you have to start changing directions again. It's pretty minor but it is annoying and means you can't just keep holding the same button all the way through like you could in Lumiose City.
Add in quicksand for some god-only-knows reason and honestly it's just a really bad really inefficient breeding route. I actually found the route next to Mauville with the other daycare much better.

It's hard to explain in text; but while you can keep holding the one button for an infinite loop, the camera angle change that happens when you take a turn takes a little while to kick in - like, the camera angle change only happens when you're 1/4 of the way up from the turn or something. What this means is that if an egg hatches during this - something that has happened quite a lot - then it quite inconveniently means you have to start changing directions again. It's pretty minor but it is annoying and means you can't just keep holding the same button all the way through like you could in Lumiose City.
Add in quicksand for some god-only-knows reason and honestly it's just a really bad really inefficient breeding route. I actually found the route next to Mauville with the other daycare much better.
I actually just keep with the path right there for breeding and didn't bother turning.

The second the egg hatches on either route, you have to hold the D-Pad again and a few extra seconds isn't that big a deal for me. It's less tedious than Platinum, SoulSilver (I hated that route), or Generation V. And the loop doesn't require me to fly to, making it way more practical for me to stock up on five eggs and hatch 'em.

The second the egg hatches on either route, you have to hold the D-Pad again and a few extra seconds isn't that big a deal for me. It's less tedious than Platinum, SoulSilver (I hated that route), or Generation V. And the loop doesn't require me to fly to, making it way more practical for me to stock up on five eggs and hatch 'em.
No route requires you to fly tho? Unless you're insinuating that you should use the Battle Resort's daycare and fly to Mauville...
Or you mean Lumiose City - which tbh I never really used; Kalos Route 7 was to me the best breeding route in the entire series. I don't see any problem with Platinum or Gen 5's at all; I can sort of see a problem with HGSS due to you having to avoid grass but eh

You don't have to stay a lot of time in the water. You also have Sharpedo. And Finally, they reduce the number of random wild pokemon encounters. I don't think it's a legitimate criticism.

However, the variety of water Pokemon could be better

You don't have to stay a lot of time in the water. You also have Sharpedo. And Finally, they reduce the number of random wild pokemon encounters. I don't think it's a legitimate criticism.

However, the variety of water Pokemon could be better
You don't have Sharpedo if you chose not to have it on your team; especially when Hoenn's got like a billion water Pokémon. Which is strange considering there's like, two you can run into without fishing or diving - making random encounters a massive pain and not fun discoveries like going into routes usually is. Dunno about you guys but while random encounters can be annoying, finding what new 'mon lay on each new route was always something exciting for me. So to limit it to the same exact encounters for like 10 routes for the endgame is... pretty atrocious.
I really don't see how it can be defended. Again, it's really not that bad... but I don't see any positive aspect to it either. Unless making Victory Road look good is a positive???

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
"Too much water" is, in fact, a legitimate criticism.
It's a legitimate criticism but is it worth chopping off so many points for? That's the thing, it's not that the person didn't like the water segments but she didn't like them so much it looks like she chopped off a lot of points for it. Her other complaint was the use of too many HMs... which makes me want to wave my cane at her and tell her "back in my day...". But still too much water and too may TMs are at most worth only 1, maybe 1.5 points off. Also I think the original games were given a 8 I think so just by the numbers it seems like they were rating the remakes under the originals despite the massive praise they gave it. Though honestly that's more a criticism toward the 1-to-10 rating system which is a flawed system.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Where it's handled badly, yeah.
Like, it's not game-breakingly bad but it's not exactly a fun time either; especially when the first half of the game had a ton of unique and interesting features and... now it's water. And more water. Few dive spots here and there. Oh look, more water...
I'd actually say that the problem doesn't lie with the amount of water per se, it's the monotone of the water. Heck, arguably Game Freak are quite crappy at the entire water thing.

As of the current, there are no differences between Pokémon's back yard ponds and the great oceans. Any one tile of water is functionally identical to any other, be it in the ocean, a river, a pond, a lake... the only thing separating them is the selection of Pokémon. Otherwise, all bodies of water abide by the same rules. You have to use Surf to cross it, any tile of water means a random chance of encountering a Pokémon, and you can fish in it. Gameplay-wise, it doesn't really matter what kind of water you're on, because the same conditions apply everywhere.

As such, the Hoenn games - and Pokémon games in general - fail to portray the duality of land and sea. Land is amazingly varied, featuring several different landscapes. Sea is not. Although it doesn't necessarily have to be like that. The aquatic world in real life has as many biomes as the world on land has. Coral reefs, rivers, great ocean trenches, tidal basins, beaches, creeks, ponds, underwater sink holes, flooded caves... heck, arguably you could add man-made biomes such as shipwrecks, harbours, dammed rivers, sewage systems and polluted bays as well. And that's not even taking into account temperature variation. So much could be done to make the various water biomes feel distinctly different from one another, not only visually but also mechanics-wise. There are already plenty of Water Pokémon to suit any environment and compliment the looks and feels of any water biome you care to mention. But for the moment, all water is lumped into one section of gameplay, not unlike grass (well, two if you count Diving, which is also incredibly narrow-scoped and only implemented fully in one region). That's not cool when water is hyped up as the counterpart to everything on land, ever, and there are so many different Water Pokémon available.

It's a legitimate criticism but is it worth chopping off so many points for? That's the thing, it's not that the person didn't like the water segments but she didn't like them so much it looks like she chopped off a lot of points for it. Her other complaint was the use of too many HMs... which makes me want to wave my cane at her and tell her "back in my day...". But still too much water and too may TMs are at most worth only 1, maybe 1.5 points off. Also I think the original games were given a 8 I think so just by the numbers it seems like they were rating the remakes under the originals despite the massive praise they gave it. Though honestly that's more a criticism toward the 1-to-10 rating system which is a flawed system.
That's exactly what I said tho - it's a legitimate criticism and really nothing but a flaw, but it's not as bad as IGN made it out to be.

I'd actually say that the problem doesn't lie with the amount of water per se, it's the monotone of the water. Heck, arguably Game Freak are quite crappy at the entire water thing.

As of the current, there are no differences between Pokémon's back yard ponds and the great oceans. Any one tile of water is functionally identical to any other, be it in the ocean, a river, a pond, a lake... the only thing separating them is the selection of Pokémon. Otherwise, all bodies of water abide by the same rules. You have to use Surf to cross it, any tile of water means a random chance of encountering a Pokémon, and you can fish in it. Gameplay-wise, it doesn't really matter what kind of water you're on, because the same conditions apply everywhere.

As such, the Hoenn games - and Pokémon games in general - fail to portray the duality of land and sea. Land is amazingly varied, featuring several different landscapes. Sea is not. Although it doesn't necessarily have to be like that. The aquatic world in real life has as many biomes as the world on land has. Coral reefs, rivers, great ocean trenches, tidal basins, beaches, creeks, ponds, underwater sink holes, flooded caves... heck, arguably you could add man-made biomes such as shipwrecks, harbours, dammed rivers, sewage systems and polluted bays as well. And that's not even taking into account temperature variation. So much could be done to make the various water biomes feel distinctly different from one another, not only visually but also mechanics-wise. There are already plenty of Water Pokémon to suit any environment and compliment the looks and feels of any water biome you care to mention. But for the moment, all water is lumped into one section of gameplay, not unlike grass (well, two if you count Diving, which is also incredibly narrow-scoped and only implemented fully in one region). That's not cool when water is hyped up as the counterpart to everything on land, ever, and there are so many different Water Pokémon available.
Pretty much also what I'm arguing lel

All true, but I wanted to mention that this problem is not unique to Gamefreak, most media fails to ever capture the variety and majesty of the ocean. They have an entire trope dedicated to it, Atlantis is Boring (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AtlantisIsBoring)

The main causes are that since most writers are human (at least I think they are... O-O) and most humans live on land so write what you know! And since most humans aren't oceanographers either, we get the same bland featureless open oceans as the default. Another reason is that most humans also don't comprehend 3D motion that well, since most of our motion is 2D. The problem appears in swimming mechanics as well as flying too.

So what we get is a biome version of the smurfette principle, where there is one obligatory water level that covers the stereotypes when there's literally an ocean of variety (kelp forests, rocky shores, undersea volcanoes, coral reefs, arctic oceans, tide pools, deep sea trenches, raging rivers, dams, lakes, ponds, beaver ponds, fjords...)

Heck, it's almost easier to think of games that do go the extra mile and show water biome variety. All I can think of are Aquaria, Endless Ocean, Freddi Fish, and The Magic School Bus Explores Oceans.
Edit: Forgot Ecco the Dolphin.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^And then there are movies, like Finding Nemo. Although the associated GameBoy Advance game was a little crap, it was entertaining for a while, and I played it some years ago when my brother bought it. Even that piece of shovelware manages to showcase a coral reef, "average seafloor", a deep abyss, a shipwreck (OK, submarine), a polluted harbour, an ominous underwater cliff, and even an aquarium. Heck, the aquarium even had a mountain.

New Opinion: I think Team Flare is great.

I rather like Team Flare, they're my favorite team. Others say the outfits are bad, but I like them. The grunts are all right, but it's the admins that I think look best.

I thought that their plan was evil enough, I mean, it's better than increasing the land/sea. Leader was cool, the scientists were... alright. I just enjoyed them in my play-through of X more than Team Galactic in Pearl, Team Aqua in AS, and Team Plasma in B2.

While I'm very upset the grunts got battle models while Gym Leaders/E4/Diantha didn't, and we all know how rushed the plot was, and in retrospect Lysandre screamed "Obvious villain is obvious", and they didn't have a memorable quote like "PLASMAAAA!"...

...I still found myself enjoying them as well. Curious how that works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)