CAP 3D Modeling Project

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Stratagem Gen VI Sprite - Final Product

The source files are here! Feel free to use it in other projects etc.​

Shoutouts
First let's not forget noobiess did most of the work on the model. If there's only one person to thank/credit for this, he is the one! As for the others; I did the texturing and rigging, DJTHED did the animation, Quanyails did the model sheets, and Yveltal helped us with the QC. Also thanks to Golui, Integer Mova and Zephias for their feedback. Yay! Go team.

Layell these are about 200kb if that's too much I'll try to lower the colors. Otherwise it's ready :D

I have this sudden urge to make a team with Plasmanta, Naviathan, Krillowatt, Aurumoth & Stratagem simply for the 3D glory.

I'd totally help out but I currently am in Italy and my laptop rests in Colombia. I was unable to bring it on exchange year, so my old tablet's all I got.

Thanks QxC4eva for the shoutout ^^
All the others did an amazing job with the other aspects of the design (texturing, animation,...)!
It was amazing to see the model "come to life".

Ps: I also did some editing of Voodoom, but I'm still not completely done so I'll wait untill that is finished before posting anything.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
198 is certainly on the upper end, also these aren't sprites they are gif model renders > : U Regardless good job all.

I'll put this in an update after my date with princessofmusic!

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
198 is certainly on the upper end, also these aren't sprites they are gif model renders > : U Regardless good job all.
Technically, it's still a sprite. More specifically, a prerendered animated sprite. Doesn't matter if it was made with 3D software or not afaik (would you consider Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong Country a bunch of sprites, even though it was also made and rendered with 3D software?). At the end of the day, it's still an animated 2-dimensional image. And the definition of a sprite for as far as I know does not say anything about a prerendered sprite made with 3d software shouldn't be considered a sprite.
is no different from
, besides the origin of where and how they were made. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Anyway, before this gets too off-topic, I'm already getting a bit anxious to continue working on something else for this project. Is anyone able to create a properly scaled Necturna model sheet anytime soon? I want to see if I can get started on a model for it and see how it goes.

Last edited:

QxC4eva

Layell o_O I hope you'll take back the part about them not being sprites. I'm sure myself and everyone who worked so hard on it didn't do so just to be told it's not a proper sprite form.

Anyway, before this gets too off-topic, I'm already getting a bit anxious to continue working on something else for this project. Is anyone able to create a properly scaled Necturna model sheet anytime soon? I want to see if I can get started on a model for it and see how it goes.
If Yveltal finishes the rigging for Pyroak soon, feel free to take over the animation. I'll probably die off until the holidays, I think :/

As for Tomohawk, I'm almost done with the textures and will try to have an animated draft by xmas!

Sorry, guys. Midterms really took the wind out of me. I've also been looking at other cloud services that would be safer than a GDrive folder.

I've been looking at the new features in Maya for rigging, just kind of experimenting with Pyroak to learn more. But, that's not really fair to you guys >_<

You know I love the forum rules, but it's time.
For a double post.

I've been testing the skirt, which of these do you guys like the most? None of them are final, but I want your opinions on which dynamics settings would best resemble a dried grass skirt.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Uhh... Well.
Honestly, I don't really think we should be using cloth simulations for these. I don't think any of the official models were animated with cloth physics... Yeah, pretty sure they didn't animate them like that at all, rather they were animated manually with bones, or they animated the bones automatically using ragdoll physics if anything. I'd highly suggest we just attach bones to the skirt and animate it using one of those two methods instead. (There's also the complicated problem of trying to get any kind of physics simulation to loop properly, so...)

Last edited:

QxC4eva

Yveltal it looks a bit too realistic :P I think you should up the rigidity or iteration so it looks more cartoon like, and maybe add a soft turbulence field as well? Here's some skirts for reference-

I kinda mentioned this in PM already but it'll be nice to prioritize the skeleton and binding first, and worry about extra stuff like the physics later. His idle should be quite simple so I prefer doing it all by hand anyway, not to mention I tried physics on a dress before and the problems are self explanatory XD

http://i.imgur.com/C3UZSRo.gif

Hi guys,
New to the cap stuff and not super crazy good with Maya, but decent with blender and originally used to modeling for 3D printing. I'd just like to say that you guys have been super good so far and I kinda want to help out. I'd like to reserve Collosoil, however that's provided you guys;
A. Don't have any objections to a newcomer working on it.
B. Don't have someone who already wants to do him.

If so I can start right away, but a few questions off the bat.
How do you want to handle the parts that are underground... Do you want them modeled still and just under the xy plane or just cut off altogether?
How do you want to handle the dirt pile?

Thanks for all your work and looking to help!

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Hi guys,
New to the cap stuff and not super crazy good with Maya, but decent with blender and originally used to modeling for 3D printing. I'd just like to say that you guys have been super good so far and I kinda want to help out. I'd like to reserve Collosoil, however that's provided you guys;
A. Don't have any objections to a newcomer working on it.
B. Don't have someone who already wants to do him.

If so I can start right away, but a few questions off the bat.
How do you want to handle the parts that are underground... Do you want them modeled still and just under the xy plane or just cut off altogether?
How do you want to handle the dirt pile?

Thanks for all your work and looking to help!
I personally don't have any objections. However, I feel a bit wary about new 3D modelers taking these CAP-mons on, especially if the mon has pretty complex geometry. Do you have any past experience with 3D modeling, and is there anything you can show?

As for how to handle the model being underground and all, I'd highly recommend looking at the models of Diglett and Dugtrio to get an idea of what it needs to look like.

By the way, I'd also recommend you hold off getting started on the model until someone creates a model sheet for Colossoil so that you know that you are modeling it with proper proportions.

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting on the Necturna Model Sheet! >:L

I personally don't have any objections. However, I feel a bit wary about new 3D modelers taking these CAP-mons on, especially if the mon has pretty complex geometry. Do you have any past experience with 3D modeling, and is there anything you can show?

As for how to handle the model being underground and all, I'd highly recommend looking at the models of Diglett and Dugtrio to get an idea of what it needs to look like.

By the way, I'd also recommend you hold off getting started on the model until someone creates a model sheet for Colossoil so that you know that you are modeling it with proper proportions.
  • I've got a few files lying around to demonstrate some experience. These are all from inventor, which is more dimension based than maya or blender, but is a 3D modeling program nonetheless. These aren't the best but I can't find any files on my comp right now that you guys could open without inventor and my license expired for the program so I can't convert them. These are the only one I have converted to pdfs. (Sorry that some of them have been converted to drawings but they are all I got).

Samsung Assembly Bottom.pdf
Chess King.pdf
Castle.pdf

Attachments

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
  • I've got a few files lying around to demonstrate some experience. These are all from inventor, which is more dimension based than maya or blender, but is a 3D modeling program nonetheless. These aren't the best but I can't find any files on my comp right now that you guys could open without inventor and my license expired for the program so I can't convert them. These are the only one I have converted to pdfs. (Sorry that some of them have been converted to drawings but they are all I got).
Samsung Assembly Bottom.pdf
Chess King.pdf
Castle.pdf
Hmm... All right. Software like Inventer and Solidworks and the like are very different from how you'd model stuff Blender or Maya/3DS Max, like you said. You can give modeling Colossoil a shot if you want, but Colossoil will need an 'organic' model, if you know what I mean. You'd need to know how to properly sculpt and work with quads, etc. Me and Yveltal kind of went over this before in this post and this post. You can go ahead and try starting Colossoil's model now if you can't wait for a model sheet, as a model sheet isn't absolutely necessary, but it'll save a lot of time if you wait for one for Colossoil to be made since it's one of the most helpful types of references you can have when modeling.

If you have any specific questions regarding making the models, I'd recommend asking QxC4eva or Yveltal since they are both more experienced than me when it comes to that.

Spoiled Rotten, DJTHED is right. If there's a consensus early-on about how the proportions should look by creating a model, the modeler will always have an easier time modeling, because the product will have a more objective end-goal.

I'll spend the next few days getting with Yilx and CyzirVisheen to approve some model sheets for Necturna and Colossoil.

Hi guys I love how the models are coming along and I want to contribute too.... I want to take on the challenge and reserve Fidgit.

I am also new to the forms so I might ask a few questions. I will have a wip model of Fidgit in about one or two weeks.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
for the future make sure all gifs have the same dimensions in each frame, consistency is king.

KrazyCake Spoiled Rotten go for it!

For Colossoil, I agree take a look at Dugtrio but personally I'd model the whole thing down to the tail, so the animator can choose how high to place it in the ground. Since it's narwhal the tail is probably a drill like his horn :P

Also the OP is soooo outdated omg here's a spreadsheet before I lose my memory. We can all keep track of it!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eTFNovDH8mva8ikD8tpBqm1YbZsz7O2zTWPxjzfuiTo

ok thanks. ummm I think that I might do the uv map and rigging :)

Ok thanks for all the support. I'll start the actual modeling process as soon as I get the modeling sheets we all agree on. Theres already the original art which shows the tail a little bit in the back so I'll go off that. I also think Collosoil might be one where we need to model the inside of the mouth.. Kinda like what you see for the wireframe for Wailord. He's big enough and the smile seems detailed enough that we might want to have it present. Everyone else agree?
P.S. Thanks for the spreadsheet, I've read the whole thread and I was still unsure why some sprites hadn't been implemented.

QxC4eva

Yeah agree! Pyroak and Tomo also have proper mouths. (because I felt like it) Colossoil will definitely need one :D

KrazyCake alright I put you down for that! Please show us the wireframe first when it's done and we'll QC it. After then feel free to work on the other stages. =) Looking forward to it!

Yeah agree! Pyroak and Tomo also have proper mouths. (because I felt like it) Colossoil will definitely need one :D

KrazyCake alright I put you down for that! Please show us the wireframe first when it's done and we'll QC it. After then feel free to work on the other stages. =) Looking forward to it!
Ok sounds good to me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)