Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just thought I'd take a break from all this spriting to say...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRINCESSOFMUSIC!

You are the best co-leader/girlfriend/person to always beat me in LC, (not necessarily in that order) I could ask for! The main focus of this project (before all those pesky megas got in the way) is almost done, and it's in no small part to your dedication. I hope you enjoy our little theatre show tomorrow where we watch an older guy fall for a girl that is too young for him (something I would never be able to relate to). Anyways I'm going to spam your vm wall now princessofmusic toodles ; )

Last edited:
Just thought I'd take a break from all this spriting to say...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRINCESSOFMUSIC!

You are the best co-leader/girlfriend/person to always beat me in LC, (not necessarily in that order) I could ask for! The main focus of this project (before all those pesky megas got in the way) is almost done, and it's in no small part to your dedication. I hope you enjoy our little theatre show tomorrow where we watch an older guy fall for a girl that is too young for him (something I would never be able to relate to). Anyways I'm going to spam your vm wall now princessofmusic toodles ; )
Had some time when my computer was useless in class so I sketched out something for the occasion.

spriting will resume sometime next week-ish? or after Thanksgiving who knows arch is heating up right now after all

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Pokemon Picross is out and uses colors similar to BW's sprites for their sprites. Is it worth updateing our sprites with those colors by any chance?

Current QC work for female Pyroar, front based on my old one from I think over a year ago with slight facial edits, back one based on the one posted a few pages back. Liable to still be some issues here and there but should be sufficient with these changes I think. Looking for any comments and critiques and I'll finish it off alongside a complete overhaul of the male's back come next week when I finish the semester off. +)

Pokemon Picross is out and uses colors similar to BW's sprites for their sprites. Is it worth updateing our sprites with those colors by any chance?
Might be worth looking into, but it'd likely be on a case-by-case basis considering they weren't designed for battle sprites. Still, might be preferable than some of our custom pallets depending.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If we're going to redo colour palettes for the sprites, I always assumed that we could just take them from the minisprites that are already used in XY/ORAS. Honestly I don't think that this is a bad idea at all but it may not be worth the time investment?

View attachment 55024
View attachment 55025

Shiny swap and cleaned up strays for Pyroar-F with updated Litleo. All that's needed to complete the set is Pyroar-M.

I hope everyone's holidays have been going well. Layell and I went out of town together and enjoyed ourselves. My original plan prior to the end of classes was to finish all Kalos sprites before xmas but that obviously never happened... so here's hoping there'll be another update soon.

View attachment 55024
View attachment 55025

Shiny swap and cleaned up strays for Pyroar-F with updated Litleo. All that's needed to complete the set is Pyroar-M.

I hope everyone's holidays have been going well. Layell and I went out of town together and enjoyed ourselves. My original plan prior to the end of classes was to finish all Kalos sprites before xmas but that obviously never happened... so here's hoping there'll be another update soon.

Sorry for the lack of Skype updates PoM, internet's been shaky at best in my area this past week and I've been doing a lot of travelling but I was able to throw together a WIP update for Pyroar's backsprite. Figured I'd post it here for C&C if anyone wanted to include some.

I hope everyone had a good holiday. +)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey those are great animations, however the Sableye wasn't done. In addition those other two are N-kin's and last I checked those don't even have backsprites. So I can't really use anything sorry. I would also say Greninja's tongue is a bit wild for a spry ninja. We would appreciate any animations for the approved sprites!

I know princessofmusic and I haven't been around as much, and that is because we have been busy moving in together, we don't even have our computer and internet set up fully. I already felt like I was married to princessofmusic through this sprite project, but then we started dating and living together, it feels much more like being married now. So I just wanted to say that soon enough we will be releasing some new sprite stuff.

The other reason I've been busy is Layell got me into Fire Emblem: Awakening. And we also just bought Fates this morning. u__u;

EDIT: On February 19, we published release version 1.0 to help celebrate 1 million+ views on the project. Below, you can download release version 1.1, a ZIP archive containing 89 sets of sprites for a total of 360 images in PNG format with transparent backgrounds.

***DOWNLOAD XY SPRITES RELEASE v1.1 (500KB)***

Here's a preview of what all of the non-shiny front sprites (Kalos) look like:

650.png
651.png
652.png
653.png
654.png
655.png
656.png
657.png
658.png

659.png
661.png
662.png
663.png
664.png
665.png
666.png
667.png
668f.png

669.png
670.png
671.png
672.png
673.png
674.png
675.png
676.png
677.png

678f.png
679.png
680.png
681.png
682.png
683.png
684.png
685.png
686.png

687.png
688.png
689.png
690.png
691.png
692.png
693.png
694.png
695.png

696.png
697.png
698.png
699.png
700.png
701.png
702.png
703.png
704.png

705.png
706.png
707.png
708.png
709.png
710.png
712.png
713.png
714.png

715.png
716.png
717.png
718.png
719.png
720.png
721.png

This release includes:
  • 70 sets of Kalos sprites (all except Diggersby and Gourgeist)
  • Alternative sprites for Pyroar, the Florges family, Meowstic, Aegislash, and Pumpkaboo
  • 40 percent of XY Mega Evolutions
  • 1/6 of ORAS Mega Evolutions
This release does NOT include (read below for why):
  • Alternative sprites for Vivillon, Furfrou, and Xerneas
  • The remaining Mega Evolutions and Primal Evolutions
  • Cosplay Pikachu sprites
  • Animations
These sprites are free to use, with three conditions:

1. Please credit us (the Smogon XY Sprite Project).
But don't credit spriters individually (what?)!

Say that Layell and I made a sprite together. He put together the original sprite, and I did QC (quality control). On the spreadsheet in the first post, both of us would be credited for the sprite, but our names would be in different boxes.

If you were to use our sprite, who should you credit? Layell, because he made the original sprite? What if the final product looked very different from the first draft, and in reality, he did only 30 percent of the work while I did 70 percent? Or me, because I edited the original? But I didn't make the sprite from scratch. Should you credit both of us? But that gets complicated for sprites that have four or more names attached to them, as the list of credits would be very long, and it's unlikely that all of those contributors did the same amount of work and deserve equal credit.

For this reason, we ask that you credit the Smogon XY Sprite Project as an entity, rather than attributing individual artists according to the spreadsheet (which, at this moment, is out of date anyway).

Also, it's "Smogon XY Sprite Project" and not "Smogon Sprite Project" or any other, weird variations.

2. For non-commercial purposes only.

In other words, please don't sell anything you make that contains our work. As we don't profit from making or publishing these sprites, neither should you. These sprites also depict characters that, from an intellectual property standpoint, don't belong to any of us (so it would be kind of like selling bootlegged DVDs).

3. Please don't redistribute the archive.

Doing so gives the false impression that you made these sprites and doesn't acknowledge their original source. If you'd like to point other artists or fans to this release, please link to this post rather than hosting the archive on your personal blog or website.

What's next?

What about the other sprites? Will there be any future releases? The answer is maybe.

As you might've noticed, the main problem that this project has suffered from is a lack of contributors. The XY Sprite Project is large in scope, but small in scale; by that, what I mean is we have few volunteers trying to get a lot of work done, which is why it's taken so absurdly long just to get this far. In that time, the general trend has been for volunteers to leave the project and stop working on sprites for various reasons, which can include real-life responsibilities and lack of interest.

To the other contributors of this project, I extend my utmost love and thanks. This release wouldn't have happened without your participation and support!

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
edited the above post with an alternate download with named sprites, similar to how PS stores it

big file has 650.png, alternate has chespin.png and is organized by stance.

With this you should be able to use this and Bulk Rename Utility to do loads of nice stuff for however you load sprites (example).

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
I'm not sure if you guys plan on working on Pokemon from Sun & Moon but I thought I would post this.
In the trailer there was this odd looking bird & I thought I would have my take on how it would look finalized. I don't think that there is any other sprites of this Pokemon yet so yeah. Correct me if I am wrong but I think I'm the first.

Attachments

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I'm not sure if you guys plan on working on Pokemon from Sun & Moon but I thought I would post this.
In the trailer there was this odd looking bird & I thought I would have my take on how it would look finalized. I don't think that there is any other sprites of this Pokemon yet so yeah. Correct me if I am wrong but I think I'm the first.
None of the Sun and Moon Pokemon look really finalized. If anything we'd have to do Magearna first since it's the only actually actually announced and designed. We have until fall/winter of this year, I don't think we'll need to worry about Sun and Moon Pokemon until close to release or finalize the XY and ORAS sprites.

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
None of the Sun and Moon Pokemon look really finalized. If anything we'd have to do Magearna first since it's the only actually actually announced and designed. We have until fall/winter of this year, I don't think we'll need to worry about Sun and Moon Pokemon until close to release or finalize the XY and ORAS sprites.
Okay then.

uploading this in case peeps actually want to sprite despite the project being deader than ever

View attachment 58676
sprites-wip.png

What's needed here is a back sprite for male Meowstic, as I couldn't seem to get it right the last time I tried to work on it. Female Meowstic should be mostly done. If there isn't any critique for Gourgeist, then it's probably ready to be resized to create all of the smaller versions.

As for the other remaining Kalos mons, Tyrantrum needs a boxier and more anatomically accurate head, which I discussed with aXl some time ago, and Aurorus could use some minor reworkings for reasons such as to show its mouth. At this point, we're open to seeing suggestions for and/or work on Volcanion (not N-Kin's, though, unless someone makes a matching back sprite).

I keep forgetting to post this, but I was tinkering around with a backsprite for N-Kin's Volcanion a while back ago:

Not perfect and the lines + shading could probably use some touch ups. I'm not sure if this is exactly what Volcanion's back looks like, so anyone's free to polish it up if they want. School and work has been time consuming, so I've been playing with this on and off for a good 6 months, honestly. I took some inspiration from Quanyail's rendition of Volcanion: http://quanyails.deviantart.com/art/Mega-Diancie-Hoopa-and-Volcanion-410722579

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
i'll try to animate these soon similar to how I did the front sprites. I'll also work on slowing down animations to look more natural
I can't check from here so make sure you check to see if the sprite is approved for animations. Otherwise it would be a waste if it gets updated. You can find the list on the op.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)