Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Conni

katharsis
What is the difference between global moderator and super moderator?
i see both on staff list so idk the difference :P

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is the difference between global moderator and super moderator?
i see both on staff list so idk the difference :P
Global Mods are basically forum moderators with their mod permissions extended throughout the whole forum, and are empowered to moderate all the forums they can see.

Super Mods are part of the senior staff group (admin + super mods), where they are also involved in the policy/decision making of the site at a higher level. They also have access to the forum control panel and can carry out actions similar to admins to some extend.

The staff online list shows global mods, super mods, and admins. They're all helpful users so in case you need anything that may be beyond a forum mod's jurisdiction you may contact them :)

How do infractions work? Just a random question because I saw someone saying it on the forums.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why am I getting more and more sound-playing ads here? It's getting a little annoying and intrusive.
Hi there. Can you provide more details regarding this so I can better help you? Are those ads specifically from one particular ad or are they all different? Does it only happen on Smogon for you and since when did it start if you can recall ? Thanks :)

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Hi there. Can you provide more details regarding this so I can better help you? Are those ads specifically from one particular ad or are they all different? Does it only happen on Smogon for you and since when did it start if you can recall ? Thanks :)
I'm pretty sure there has been a variety of sound-making ads. At least two, for sure. It has happened in the past on websites like Bulbapedia, but I hadn't seen any on Smogon since recently. It started happening maybe two days ago.

sandshrewz

POTATO
I'm pretty sure there has been a variety of sound-making ads. At least two, for sure. It has happened in the past on websites like Bulbapedia, but I hadn't seen any on Smogon since recently. It started happening maybe two days ago.
I *think* Smogon ads are set to purely text/images with no audio only. Can't get a confirmation on that right now. However, there's also a possibility that you have been infected with adware, which has been the case for other users who had problems with ads in the past. This article might be of help to you. There hasn't been other reports of this happening so you might want to look into that.

Help Please

I am unable to get into the main server of Pokemon. I can get into the other servers, but the only problem is that no one actually plays Pokemon until there is a tournament. Whenever I try and get into the main server, it says "You have been disconnected possibly because the server has been restarted".

Thanks

sandshrewz

POTATO
Help Please

I am unable to get into the main server of Pokemon. I can get into the other servers, but the only problem is that no one actually plays Pokemon until there is a tournament. Whenever I try and get into the main server, it says "You have been disconnected possibly because the server has been restarted".

Thanks
Hello! May I redirect you to this thread. Do take a look at the first post though and feel free to make a post if your issue persists. You might be able to get better help there.

Also a point to note if you're running browser plugins like stylish, or using proxy, or anything else worth noting down.

Hope it helps you! Welcome to Smogon :)

I was told by Corrin to post a problem I had with the site here.

Something extremely weird happened today. I was able to login to smogon in the morning but when I got back on in the evening I couldn't login. This also happened yesterday. I tried logging in from other devices but I couldn't although I could load the site.
I had to use a VPN app to change my IP address to post this. But I've never had this problem before does anyone know what's wrong?

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was told by Corrin to post a problem I had with the site here.

Something extremely weird happened today. I was able to login to smogon in the morning but when I got back on in the evening I couldn't login. This also happened yesterday. I tried logging in from other devices but I couldn't although I could load the site.
I had to use a VPN app to change my IP address to post this. But I've never had this problem before does anyone know what's wrong?
what error message did you get

what error message did you get
This:
SmartSelectImage_2016-10-14-00-02-00.png

Weird thing is I can access the site from chrome on my mobile but I can't login. When I use my computer or my mobile's browser the page doesn't even load maybe because I set it to always keep me logged in.

Edit: It's morning now and I tried logging in and it didn't work.

Edit2: I think the problem is IP related or something. I tried using a different IP in india(where I live) and it allowed me to login

Last edited:
When SM comes out does every Pokemon from Ubers go down to OU or lower, until they are seen as too good for the tier? If not what happens to the Meta?

Sorry to be a bother but it's evening here and I can now login without using VPN this is odd because I couldn't do it yesterday or the day before yesterday but now I suddenly can.

sandshrewz

POTATO
When SM comes out does every Pokemon from Ubers go down to OU or lower, until they are seen as too good for the tier? If not what happens to the Meta?
I can't find a thread regarding this, but this is purely from memory of what happened for XY, so it might not be fully accurate. The OU tiering council will decide on the initial banlist to Ubers based on their judgement. In early XY we had some Ubers Pokemon drop down to OU such as Deoxys-S. You can roughly expect that most Uber Pokemon will stay Uber for the first meta, with maybe a few drop downs. Regarding new Pokemon, you can expect the 600+ BST legendaries to be defaulted to Uber, unless deemed otherwise.

So yea, more or less it would be the council's decision iirc. There's no hard and fast rule as to how the first metagame is formed. Hope that answers your question. If you might be interested in this topic deeper, you might want to ask in this thread.

Hello :) My question is concerning account info and the like. It seems like the account info doesn't update properly. Like it says that I have 2 messages when really I have many more than that. My inbox works fine, though, I always get alerts. And also I was told that you can make a sig after enough forum presence, howmdoes that work?

trace

tell me
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Hello :) My question is concerning account info and the like. It seems like the account info doesn't update properly. Like it says that I have 2 messages when really I have many more than that. My inbox works fine, though, I always get alerts. And also I was told that you can make a sig after enough forum presence, howmdoes that work?
Giveaways and Battle Request subforum doesn't increase post-count

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)