Pokemon Generations: Anime shorts series featuring game highlights from all generations

The Scoop was immensely well done, with the focus on Gabby And Ty a really interesting twist. Also, Deoxys is epic.

The Old Chateau, though not as well done, still seemed interesting to me. We get an episode focusing on the stat trainers, and Chansey's epic face is just priceless.

All praise our savior, Mega Rayquaza.

And while it was hinted at how its sprites changed, I like the small explanation at how Deoxys sometimes has an actual humanoid arm or, sometimes, whips where its arm should be.

The Scoop

Boring, to be honest. Once again, Rayquaza faces off against Deoxys... like that hasn't been done a thousand times before, but with DOUBLE THE HORSE POWER this time thanks to mega-Ray... still pretty boring though. I was more interested in what was going on down on earth in the Space Center, which is actually something that we haven't seen before. Overall, this episode would've been nice if there weren't more interesting stuff that could've been fleshed out by it instead, like Wally's journey across Hoenn or Zinnia and the Draconoid people. A big, flashy battle that has been done to death already is all this episode has going for it.

The Old Chateau

Alright now, I actually loved this one for how creepy it was. Admittedly, all the way till 3:49 I was just like: Meh.., then boom! RUUN, BITCH, RUUUUUNNN!!! Moral of the story: stay away from old mansions that are located in the middle of literally nowhere, specially if its sole inhabitant some really old dude--there's got to be a reason why he's all alone at this point in life after all..

Anyways, I think it's interesting how this series is showing us that the pokemon world can indeed be a dangerous place. I mean, if this episode had been portrayed by the anime, I assure you that in the end it would all end up nice and dandy, with the protags even going as far as befriending the ghost; same goes for the game. There's just never a sense of fear and danger like there was in this episode and The Cavern, which is fine, but I definitely appreciate the different tone this series has to it.

Last edited:
Lol, I did not really pictures gabby and ty as the type to sneak into and hack something like the mossdeep space center for some news. Yeah sneaking around and being nosy reporters makes sense, but actually tresspassing and hacking struck me as a little bit out of character. In the games I pictured them as hip reporters, not some kind of mission impossible team.

These last three episodes were definitely much better than the others, so far.
What was the girl supposed to be? The same Haunter? Or a different Pokémon?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
(Watch Here)
0:25: Oh, didn't know there was a satellite nearby when that happened, convenient.
0:41: Gabby and Ty! Didn't expect them to be a "focus" of an episode (though thinking about it that should be what Generation is about). Also dat @$$.
1:03: THEY TOLD PEOPLE ABOUT THE METEOR?! That must have been an interesting news night. "And in other news, a 4 mile meteor that was about to strike the Hoenn region had been destroyed. Had the meteor hit the entire Hoenn region would have been wiped out and most likely all life on Earth would have been too. And now onto weather...".
1:21: Ah, the April O'Neil method of news reporting.
1:53: ERROR: Gabby's USB flash drive is missing. Gonna be hard to download that footage without it. :P
2:18: Okay, I guess I can understand them keeping it secret that the player was involved with destroying the meteor... but why do I have a feeling that's not the only thing they kept secret.
2:35: Okay, in the original games the triangle summons Deoxys, in the remakes it broke out of the triangle, and here it transforms from the triangle. Can we pick one connection that the triangle has to Deoxys?
2:48: The Magma Suit, well I guess that makes sense since in the Alpha Sapphire-based series of events we saw Archie achieved awakening Primal Kyogre and dooming the world.
3:08: Oh, you know I wondered where exactly the player was during the battle. Floating in the upper atmosphere? On a piece of the meteor? As it turns out it was this satellite.
3:25: And that's a few millions dollars worth of damage.
3:29: I see we kept the healing factor Deoxys had in the main anime.
4:00: What, Mega Rayquaza breaks Deoxys's Protect and that's enough to weaken it to make it capturable? It healed from having a part of its body obliterated but being knocked back a little is too much or it?
4:04: Really? They kept Deoxys a secret? Okay, if you were going to tell people about the meteor I can understand about omitting the player, but why not mention Deoxys? That would be a perfect way to get more funding for the Space Center knowing there are alien Pokemon out there, some which may present a threat so better to learn about them now than later.
4:10: Gulpin keychain? Wouldn't a Whismur keychain make more sense since that what she uses?
4:35: "I'm afraid you must die now".
4:46: Why didn't you have some Pokemon with you to make sure they couldn't do something like that?
4:47: "Kill them on sight". Wait, why would it be too soon? You told everyone about the meteor, there being an alien Pokemon inside it isn't going to be any more shocking than knowing they were close to everyone being killed. Also it's not like we don't have alien Pokemon: Clefairy family, Lunatone, Solrock, Elgyem family.

Overall a neat episode aside from so gaps in logic. I like them using Gabby and Ty as a framing device (let's be honest, they just wanted to animated the Mega Rayquaza VS Deoxys fight), makes sense and puts the spotlight on side characters which is what Generations should do. We also get to learn some aftermath stuff we didn't see: The world was told about the meteor (and presumably Mega Rayquaza destroying it) but they kept the player and Deoxys secret (understandable for the player, though still don't get why Deoxys as I mentioned above). Also there was a satellite nearby (which at one point the player stood on while the two Legendaries battled), though I don't think that was anything more than a plot device to how they got the footage (and give the player something to stand on). And, of course, we got to see the Mega Rayquaza VS Deoxys battle in space. :D This episodes gets two thumbs up from me.
(Watch Here)
0:23: Eh, I don't think its intentional but that's Chansey face is kind of creepy. I kind of expect it to smile and reveal rows of sharp teeth before lunging at you.
0:39: Why was this part shot like it was "found footage", it even has the motor noise.
1:23: You best start believing in ghost stories, Miss Cheryl.. you're in one!
1:56: Cheryl, I know you and Chansey are on that diet, but that doesn't mean you can't have a bit more on your plate.
2:23: I'm sure this scene is suppose to be creepy... but I can't help but to think this is also someone's fetish.
2:27: Why are you laughing? They're just eating nothing. It's not like they're actually eating rotten meat or something which could be deadly to them.
2:34: And why are you angry? THEY ATE NOTHING! If you wanted them to feel sick then maybe you should have given them something that would have made them sick.
3:13: Oh, so spoopy.
3:45: Darn it, he degenerated. We lose so many good butler clones this way. If they just don't vanish from thin air. Don't worry we'll send in another on.
3:59: An egg? That's a bit random. And hi Black Fog, didn't think they'd bring you into the canon.
4:05: Dead.
4:32: That reminds me, where is Rotom? Is this suppose to take after the player catches it?
5:02: Dead again. Or they're now in Hell the ghost world experiencing this.

Well I guess this is our Halloween episode? I feel mixed about this episode. I like that its an adventure away from the player and staring a side character, this time being Cheryl and her Chansey (as well as the butler and girl ghosts from the Old Chateau). And the setting is good too, the Old Chateau. I feel this episode could have really worked... but I feel the pacing ruins it. It stated off fine at first, they get the the chateau and upon being invited in we see the portrait of the butler watch them hinting there's something amiss. But it's at the dinner scene I think it falls apart.
It lasts longer than it should because they already revealed the twist: they were eating nothing (which itself isn't that creepy). What they should have done is showed us what Cheryl and Chansey were seeing, have them eat (while the butler is snickering), and when they're leaving to their rooms reveal what they actually ate. Speaking of which, them eating nothing isn't scary as we know they're not in danger. Now revealing they ate rotten food would probably be going a bit too far so I say instead showed they were actually eating Old Gateau... but also show the Old Gateau was dripping like bright green liquid. That way we know feel that Cheryl and Chansey are in danger as we don't know what the butler exactly gave them to eat. Also try not making them eating food look sexy, you're trying to scare us.
Next, they had to quickened the pace so the butler just reveals he's a ghost and BOOM! Loud chase scene. First it should be the main characters discovering something is wrong before things get real. Maybe have Cheryl and Chansey go into their room, turn on the TV which comes up as static, and when they inspect it we see it start sparking (with a quick glimpse of Rotom) before running out to discover that the once pristine manor had suddenly become decayed. Then you can have the butler appear, say something creepy, and have the purple fog rolls in as we see him either vanish or transform into the giant Haunter.
Finally there isn't really anything wrong with the ghost girl scene, but it could have been scarier. One problem I had with it is that you already made the ghost girl look creepy, you're not really making her look any scarier when she transforms into a toothy creature (if anything she looks less creepy). Either you keep her as she looked and just say something creepy (which should be more than enough to make Cheryl and Chansey scream because they're in front of a ghost) or have the ghost girl look like a normal girl, say some creepy stuff, and then have her face morph and lunge at Cheryl and Chansey.
Still, this episode did provide creepy imagery (both intentional and accidental, I still say Chansey's face is the creepiest thing in this episode) and focused on a side character going through an adventure without any involvement from the player. I'm giving it the thumbs up.
1. The Chase
2. The Challenger
3. The Lake of Rage
4. The Scoop
5. The Old Chateau
6. The Legacy
7. The Cavern
8. The Reawakening
9. The Adventure
10. The Vision

The three most recent episodes were amazing so far! I hope The Pokémon Company keeps it up for the last eight: two for Sinnoh, three for Unova, and possibly three for Kalos.

Is the series covering Alola at all, or just the six mainland regions?

She is supposed to be an actual ghost that was found in game. Same as the butler

Pokemon have a lot of ghost girls in it actually. Its pretty creepy but great, hope Sun and Moon have some pretty creepy stuff too

https://gamerant.com/human-ghost-encounters-pokemon-536/

Oh God I watched The Old Chateau at midnight. Now I can't sleep. :pirate:

Still, it was one of the better episodes in the Generations series. Everything was so engaging from start to finish!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My biggest nitpick with The Scoop is that, out of absolutely nowhere, a space station arrives in the middle of the Deoxys fight. And the Trainer jumps down towards it and stands upright on the solar panels. Uh, what? Zero gravity, remember? Or rather, free fall? Why the heck did that space station need to be there, and why must the trainer stand on its "wing"? Couldn't he/she be floating in open space instead? It's night-impossible to keep a standing pose in zero G anyway, without floating off whatever surface you're attached to. Okay, the debris cloud from the smashed solar panels would absolutely not look like that, but I'll let it slide stays frozen in mid-air after it is kicked up, which signals they've at least given the lack of gravity some thought, but realistically those splinters would be all over the place and constantly moving, as there's nothing to slow them down once they're set in motion. But the station only seems to be there to give Rayquaza something to smash, and the Trainer a surface to stand on, since the animators can't work with zero G I suppose.

Also, the close-up shot of the Ultra Ball at the end. Okay, there might have been cameras on the space station, but how and why would they capture a perfect shot like that?

As for The Old Chateau, Chansey is just adorable. The rest of the episode, uh... Well, we see Haunter in its natural habitat, which is interesting, I suppose.

Last edited:
Deoxys is so cool and I love watching it fight! I think the animation for the fight scene was well done and the Vs Deoxys theme was also nice to listen to.

I did like the Old Chateau I think the scenes where they're eating as well as when they were being lead to a room were kinda creepy and unsettling.

Judging by the shape of her eyes and the TV static that appears on her face, it would appear that would be a Rotom giving a serious fright upgrade

That super high quality video taken by the Random space station was a little too convenient for my liking. Also not a fan of how Gabby immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was a kid riding Rayquaza tbh. 7.5/10
The old Chateau was much more interesting for me, although they made that dining scene way to sensual and, like Pikachu315111 said, showing the guests eating nothing isn't that scary...
I do like the look they gave Cheryl in this video though. She looks so innocent, so pure! Makes her murder all the more tragic I guess...
8.5/10

By the way, I think Epi 11/12 will focus on Team Galatic. All Generations have had atleast one episode focusing on the evil team (Gen 1 = The Chase, Gen 2 = The one with Silver I don't remember the name of, Gen 3 = The Legacy/Cavern). It would be amazing if we got an insight into Cyrus' backstory and/or the legendary Pokemon.

Last edited:
Am I the only one thinking the chansey looks scary? She and her trainer looked like they were horny the entire episode...

I liked the Scoop though. Nice to see how Deoxys got caught and Mega Rayquaza was badass.

I appreciate the presence of the Satellite in "The Scoop" in concept, because it touches on one of the things that crossed my mind about the Delta Episode: How does the player stay for the fight/capture if Rayquaza faints, and how do they get back to Earth as well in said scenario? The former is at least answered, and having some kind of space to anchor to would make it possible to use items to heal Rayquaza for the latter (they can pull out the Ultra Ball, so I'd assume a Revive is reachable as well). Gabby and Ty make for a fun framing device, because I remember fighting those two so many times in my original Gen 3 game. That said, there are some ambiguities/issues I'd like to either discuss or have addressed by others.

- How far up is the battle taking place? Rayquaza is usually associated with high altitudes, even the Ozone layer, but while it needs little, it would still need to breathe. In that case though, the Meteor is about the size of Mega Rayquaza, which assuming mass burns off on entry, doesn't look like its quite an Apocalypse class meteor (certainly dangerous, but not "wipe out all life" levels).

- The suit. The suit being able to provide Oxygen makes a degree of sense given the environments it was made for, and for dealing with Groudon (I assume the Magma suit given the color scheme) insulation is logical. The main issue for me is the weight. In a zero/minimal gravity environment, even Astronauts in restrictively heavy spacesuits still need to be properly anchored to something when that far away from a gravitational body, so what allows the trainer to stand relatively secure on the satellite. Some people suggested magnets, but there's no functional purpose to that in the suit's original point.

- The battle itself. I like that it's the most logical way for a fight between two mons of this nature to play out. Both are Lightning bruisers who would probably go down in very few hits to the thing they're fighting (even in game, I feel like Mega Ray can down Deoxys-D in relatively short order), so the fight is more focused on Evasion, which also allows it to be much more kinetic. Having seen Destiny Deoxys, the fight in that movie felt a bit underwhelming to me because most of the action just kinda had the two pummeling each other and repeatedly getting back up, which just didn't do as much animation wise either, and took me out of it given one plot point was Rayquaza damaging Deoxys so badly it took 4 years to regenerate, despite it taking attacks of a similar scale for most of the other fight times. As for how Deoxys was so weakened by the Protect-Break, I just kind of think of how Piccolo's regeneration works in Dragonball. He can regenerate from a lot of severe injuries, but he still has internal systems and important organs like his brain that can be damaged by force and need to be intact for self-repair. I took Deoxys to be the same way: a full body blow would shake it up down to the core/crystal that it's centered on, but superficial injuries it can regenerate no worse for wear, which also explains the speed form (if there's one point to protect, Evasion can be more useful than Blocking)

- The ending. I don't understand what is with Mossdeep's "the world isn't ready" notion for being secretive about this. Even without getting into timeline discussion for the other entries, in universe they have to have already seen either Groudon or Kyogre wreak havoc on the region, so something like Rayquaza existing is believable, but why is a Pokemon from Outer Space something they can't swallow. But more than that, if I accept that this is something they're "not ready" for, what's with the security? Yes, guards caught them in the act of taking the file, but the room evidently had so little surveillance that they could get in, the file wasn't stored behind anything that difficult for a random snooping reporter to access, and the file itself wasn't even encrypted or anything so they could watch it while there. For that matter, why did they let them finish watching the clip if they had time to finish the download and watch the full ~4 minutes of footage? Why not interrupt them so they can be apprehended in the closed room instead of letting them into the hall where they could and did run?

There's lots of physics nitpicking you can do in the Scoop.

One of the biggest problems is orbit. Gravity extends much further than most people think. Even just eye-balling how high they are in the Scoop, gravity would still be well above 90% of its surface force. You just don't feel the gravity because everything around you is being pulled down just as quickly (just like we don't feel the gravity of the sun). In any case getting into space is the easy part, the hard part is staying in space. To do that, you need to spin around the planet very quickly. How quickly? It depends on exactly how high up they are and whether the mass and size of the pokemon world differs from Earth, but a conservative estimate might be around 7,000 m/s (that's about 15,000 mph). By definition the satellite must be in orbit since it isn't falling back down, but the meteor is not in orbit since it is falling towards the world. Therefor even if the satellite had miraculously been close to the meteor at the exact moment Rayquaza smashed it such that Brandon/May could reach it, there's no way they could have landed on something whipping around the planet at speeds around Mach 21 (well, not while surviving).

Yes, guards caught them in the act of taking the file, but the room evidently had so little surveillance that they could get in, the file wasn't stored behind anything that difficult for a random snooping reporter to access, and the file itself wasn't even encrypted or anything so they could watch it while there. For that matter, why did they let them finish watching the clip if they had time to finish the download and watch the full ~4 minutes of footage? Why not interrupt them so they can be apprehended in the closed room instead of letting them into the hall where they could and did run?
This is the same universe in which 10-year old kids routinely infiltrate the secret bases of villainous organizations bent on some form of world domination. Honestly, this is pretty responsive as far as security goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)