Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Someone else suggested checking if Mimikyu had any synergy with Light Ball as an easter egg. Wouldn't take long to find out.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Testing this actually got the info I need through incredible luck: In the first two hits used I got the min and max rolls for if the boost was 1.2x

Further testing afterwards with Normalize has further cemented this.

It looks like that pretty much confirms it: Galvanize, Normalize, and the -ate abilities give a 1.2x boost.
I know you've been asked already about this a couple times, but could you post your specific numbers/experimental conditions?

"steals the target's stat boosts"
Does Marshadow's Spectral Thief steal any boosts, not just ones from like Quiver Dance or Sword Dance? Say there is a mon w/ ability boosts (ex. Competitive & Beast Boost). Can those be stolen, too?

"the user hides in the target's shadow"
Does this mean Spectral Thief is a two turn move, similar to Giratina's Shadow Force. If so, can it break through Protect, Detect, and other similar mechanical moves? Also, will the targeted mon be allowed to switch? (Otherwise the move is not worth it.)

Last edited:
Quick question, sorry if it's already been answered. Does Primarina's Liquid Voice HA get a power boost like the "-ate" abilities do?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
people this is not a discussion thread for how good/bad -ate ability getting nerfed is

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
The set-up I've been using has me testing at very low levels so I've been using stat boost/drop + skill/power/speed swap and other stat-checking shenanigans in order to increase the range on damage rolls to where it's relevant to testing, the big calc being:

0 Atk Pixie Plate Rattata Tackle vs. -1 252 HP / 0 Def Blissey: 19-24 (32.2 - 40.6%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO
(19, 19, 19, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24)

The calc was made rather arbitrarily- It's Fairy Type base 40 Power Tackle with Pixie plate coming off of a 15 atk level 7 Yungoos vs to emulate 1.2x Galvanize. This calc is done vs 6 def -1 blissey at level 5.

While it might not look good because it's a "low level calc," but after doing this kind of thing enough you get used to the quirks of it. This is a totally unique damage range that is impossible with anything except if -ate and -ize abilities are 1.2x, and I hit the 19 and 24. Every single other element is controlled. I challenge you to find any combination of multipliers that make a 15 atk level 7 pokemon deal this damage range to a 6 def Pokemon with a different multiplier to a 60 base power move to disprove this, but I couldn't find one myself. Unless there's A. a change to the damage formula or B. I messed up my subtraction on the rolls in-game, the -ate boosts have been reduced to 1.2x. In all of my other testing except Galvanize, my calcs only confirmed that the damage on -ate abilities has been nerfed. Before I did Galvanize I did other testing and got low-mid rolls that were identical to 1.2x but always missed getting the 1/16 max rolls to make sure of it.

If someone has a set-up where they can test these things at like level 100, please do. I've gone back and forth testing and re-testing, running and re-running calcs, and ensuring that the damage ranges I'm getting are unique assuming the damage formula is unchanged.

I herd that weak armor now raises speed 2 stages, is that true or just a baseless rumor?
True, in-game text says it explicitly. ("Rose sharply!" text)

Does Solar Blade skip the charging step if Sunny Day/Drought is up?
I didn't actually see it, but I'd imagine so. In-game spoilers: (Fourth Trial)

Totem Lurantis has Solar Blade and can call a Castform forward to spam sunny day. I killed Lurantis right after that, so I didn't see any insta-Solar Blade, but I think the idea there was to have exactly that.

Does Tough Claws stop working if you're wearing Protective Pads? Does Fluffy stop working if the attacker is wearing them?

Is Revelation Dance affected by type-changing effects e.g. Normalize?

Last edited:
"steals the target's stat boosts"
Does Marshadow's Spectral Thief steal any boosts, not just ones from like Quiver Dance or Sword Dance? Say there is a mon w/ ability boosts (ex. Competitive & Beast Boost). Can those be stolen, too?

"the user hides in the target's shadow"
Does this mean Spectral Thief is a two turn move, similar to Giratina's Shadow Force. If so, can it break through Protect, Detect, and other similar mechanical moves? Also, will the targeted mon be allowed to switch? (Otherwise the move is not worth it.)
I do know that Spectral Thief is a single turn move

Day 5 or something of mechanics testing (part 1).

Silvally is always normal type even after a forme change (just like Arceus)

Spotlight only allows your pokes to target one pokemon on the opposing side of the field (it's intended usage is to deal with follow me I guess).
I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but if you use Spotlight on an enemy Pokemon in a double battle, will the opponent hit its ally Pokemon as well?
Prankster Assist is blocked by Queenly Majesty.

Priority moves from the ally which targeted the Queenly Majesty Pokemon were not blocked.

Water Bubble boosts both Special and Physical moves.

Seems Hail as a weather received no added boosts outside of Slush Rush and Aurora Veil.

All other weather conditions have the same buffs as they did in generation 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)