Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Hoping I didn't glance over this in the thread if it was asked already. I don't want to make it even worse.

What is the priority for the four Surge abilities in relation to other abilities on entry, such as Mold Breaker, Desolate Land, Intimidate, etc. (and the weird outlier of Unnerve)? This is kinda difficult to word.... Basically, when beginning a battle, you can determine Speed stats based on who triggers their ability on entry first, provided two or more Pokémon on the field have an ability with same priority. Will the Surge abilities trigger with the same priority as other common abilities that activate on entry? And do we have terrain wars won by the Tapu with the lowest Speed?

(Also, was Grass Knot corrected to no longer be a contact move? I'm convinced that was a bug from copypasting Low Kick's data...)

This is something I've been wondering since they announced Solgaleo and Lunala's abilities. Are they really just like Clear Body and Multiscale, respectively?
What if Solgaleo doesn't get a attack drop from Burn or speed drop by paralysis? Or maybe Clear Body got changed like that, altogether.

Steelworker (1.5x boost to Steel-type moves) further boosts the damage from moves used by Pokemon that are already Steel-type.
Can someone explain me better how the ability works? Does it boosts other Pokémon Steel-type moves in double battles (Example: Scizor + Dhelmise, Scizor uses a STAB, Technician and Steelworker boosted Bullet Punch), or the description refers only to hypotetical Steel-type Pokémon with that ability?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
This is something I've been wondering since they announced Solgaleo and Lunala's abilities. Are they really just like Clear Body and Multiscale, respectively?
What if Solgaleo doesn't get a attack drop from Burn or speed drop by paralysis? Or maybe Clear Body got changed like that, altogether.
If they changed something it's obscure. I've tested intuitive things like halving indirect damage with Shadow Shield or blocking side effects of major or Mental Herb statuses with Full Metal Body. I'd be extremely hesitant to call them Clear Body and Multiscale clones after Mr. Gamefreak's wild ride (for about the third time this week, at that) but I personally can't find anything

Can someone explain me better how the ability works? Does it boosts other Pokémon Steel-type moves in double battles (Example: Scizor + Dhelmise, Scizor uses a STAB, Technician and Steelworker boosted Bullet Punch), or the description refers only to hypotetical Steel-type Pokémon with that ability?
The latter, it boosts the ability owner's Steel-type moves. If you were to Skill Swap it onto a Steel type, they'd get double STAB.

How does the new Prankster moves with Destiny Bond against Dark Types? You don't target a Dark type with it so... does it still work?
Works as normal. This is because Destiny Bond is self-targeting.

K. Might not be important. Since Gf nerfs priority so much, I'm wondering. Does Extremespeed still have +2 priority? Is there any nerf for it?

Also, are items like Life Orb, Choice Band or Scarf still give the same boost?

Another question: Destiny Bond spam is now prevented... but how would it work with Prankster-Destiny Bond and Protect? Could you spam Destiny Bond > Protect > Destiny Bond > Protect? Or does Destiny Bond also reduce the chance of Protect and vice versa?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Another question: Destiny Bond spam is now prevented... but how would it work with Prankster-Destiny Bond and Protect? Could you spam Destiny Bond > Protect > Destiny Bond > Protect? Or does Destiny Bond also reduce the chance of Protect and vice versa?
Destiny Bond and Protect function on different turn timers. You can alternate between them.

Additionally, I've checked to see if Shadow Shield reduces additional damage from Dark, Ghost, Psychic, or Steel type moves. It doesn't, so if there's a hidden effect to these abilities its not based on the typing MU between the legendaries.

Destiny Bond and Protect function on different turn timers. You can alternate between them.

Additionally, I've checked to see if Shadow Shield reduces additional damage from Dark, Ghost, Psychic, or Steel type moves. It doesn't, so if there's a hidden effect to these abilities its not based on the typing MU between the legendaries.
Have you checked if they boost offensive or defensive stats passively?

K. Might not be important. Since Gf nerfs priority so much, I'm wondering. Does Extremespeed still have +2 priority? Is there any nerf for it?

Also, are items like Life Orb, Choice Band or Scarf still give the same boost?
It still has +2.
Choice specs appears to be reduced slightly, but I am not sure the exact number. (I was getting a low roll 1 hp below the normal lowest roll with specs). Will do proper calcs tonight.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
[22:51] Nelson Tangela: WOAH!
[22:51] Nelson Tangela: Just learned something
[22:51] Nelson Tangela: Substitute doesn't activate Emergency Exit
[22:52] Nelson Tangela: I've put myself below 50%
[22:52] Nelson Tangela: no switch
---
[23:02] Nelson Tangela:my sub should break any moment now
---
[23:10] Nelson Tangela: yeah
[23:10] Nelson Tangela: sub doesnt activate exit

You can safely sub to get your HP below 50% and not switch out with Emergency Exit. Breaking the Sub with HP Below 50% also doesn't activate the ability.

EDIT: Emergency Exit is also not triggered by Sandstorm damage.

Last edited:
So I guess Illuminate and Run Away are still useless in battles then? Hard to think of any other potential hidden effects aside from the ones already suggested in this thread. I just find it strange since GF has been adding in-battle effects to previously useless abilities before and in this generation they decided to put Illuminate to one of the new Pokemon.

Can anyone research if Scald can burn Fire types now?

I think I did it on Battle Tree, but my memory might be foggy.

One rather strange request I have that still bugs me: Can Cursed Body be triggered when the Cursed Body user is behind a substitute now?

I always wondered why they would give something as fragile as Gengar an ability that depends on Gengar being hit by a move - as the only ability. However, maybe this was not the random gf that gave Kyurem-B no physical ice-moves but there was some deeper meaning behind that. Right at the beginning of Gen 6, pokémon asked on twitter which was the best Gengar-Set and SubDisable won. Most players believed that was for an Event-Distribution, but maybe (just maybe) gf actually intended to make SubDisable stronger with Cursed Body. If that was the intention, then maybe the sub can still trigger Cursed Body now. If that was the intention, but sub doesn't work with Cursed Body, then good job gf. The intent of SubDisable was NOT to get hit by the opponents strongest move...

More Prankster!

If a Dark Type uses a status move into a Pokemon with Prankster using Magic Coat, the Dark Type will be unaffected by the reflected move.
If a Prankster Dark type uses a Status against Magic Coat/Bounce, will the Dark type still be hit by the status? (E.g. Opponent switches Espeon into your Murkrow's Thunder Wave, Murkrow gets paralyzed) Based on this post, I'm assuming yes, since the Status move is "coming from" the Magic Bounce and not from the Prankster.

can you use Z move WHILE under the effect of Encore? As in you are locked in Fire Spin, can you use Inferno Overdrive based on fire spin next turn?

Does confusion hax waste your z move chance?

Can you use Z moves while locked in Outrage, Petal Dance?

Does Instruct let a Pokemon immediately use another attack with a cooldown (Hyper Beam, Frenzy Plant, etc)?

A bit convoluted but i want to test this too:
- the Beam move goes first, Instruct goes second in ONE turn. Does the beam move go off?
- after that; Instruct is then used on the mon recharging on the turn after. Does the Beam move go off?

Someone asked about Z-Moves in normal move slots a long time ago. It looks like they're -- Acc 1 BP moves of their respective typings. Special Z-Moves function normally in a moveslot with their real base power and effects, albeit with none of the fanfare (there isn't even text for when you use it). All normal slot Z-Moves have 1 PP (and no, PP Ups don't work). You can use as many normal slot Z-Moves as you want in a game. You cannot power up a normal slot Z-Move with a Z-Crystal (it won't recognize the move as that typing at all).
Some clarification on this: with those Special Z-Moves, is it possible to hack them so as to use them without a Z-Crystal as a held item? How about on Pokemon other than their typical users? (These questions are for Balanced Hackmons, basically)

I assume the Z-moves that replace Psyshock, Sacred Sword and that Mewtwo Psyshock equivalent don't have the base attack's spectrum-swap trait? Since all the evidence so far has said that attacking moves just get straight-out replaced. Shame :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)