Pokémon Decidueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been testing out the Defensive defog set out alongside dugtrio, magnezone, Zard-X, clefable, and toxapex. Defensive defog has been putting in some great work. It takes hits like a champ and can U-turn or shackle back and set the stage for a sweep with clefable or zard. The mon certainly has the 4 move set syndrome where I'd want a grass type attack and defog without losing the other features of the mon, but its still a very viable mon in OU. After Phermosa gets the hammer, this will see plenty of play
Yeah I think pheromosa is a huge buzzkill for it right now as well as tapu koko. (Brave bird hurts) I agree though, once a lot of the ridiculous stuff is sifted through, I think Decidueye is only going to see increased use.

I've been using this thing as a pivot to GREAT success....

Decidueye @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 Hp/20 Atk/240 SpDef
Ability: Overgrow
Careful
-Spirit Shackle
-U-turn
-Roost
-Defog

Just as an example, this thing eats Tapu Koko who don't carry Brave Bird, and it can trap and kill ferrothorn and celesteel. Literally eats flamethrowers from celesteel all day.

Last edited:
On an attacking set (that doesn't include Swords Dance), would an Adamant nature with 252 atk, 4 def, 252 speed work better with Sucker Punch (with a combination of U-turn / Low Sweep / Brave Bird / Leaf Blade / Sprit Shackle) than Jolly?

It still stays quite slow with Jolly and could use a bit more power on that only above average base attack as it has a form of priority. Doesn't seem fast enough or bulky enough to take advantage of Swords Dance eating up a turn.

On an attacking set (that doesn't include Swords Dance), would an Adamant nature with 252 atk, 4 def, 252 speed work better with Sucker Punch (with a combination of U-turn / Low Sweep / Brave Bird / Leaf Blade / Sprit Shackle) than Jolly?

It still stays quite slow with Jolly and could use a bit more power on that only above average base attack as it has a form of priority. Doesn't seem fast enough or bulky enough to take advantage of Swords Dance eating up a turn.
That's what I run. I use adamant with decidium and uturn, sucker punch, spirit shackle, leaf blade.

With Jolly you speed tie with Volcanion, Bisharp, and Breloom, so it's pretty important to have. I think the Adamant nature is more appropriate on a Swords Dance set than anything for the stronger Sucker Punch to help sweep as well as stronger Leaf Blade/Spirit Shackle for walls. I think Jolly is needed for the attacking sets and it's just as good as Adamant on Swords Dance.

With Jolly you speed tie with Volcanion, Bisharp, and Breloom, so it's pretty important to have. I think the Adamant nature is more appropriate on a Swords Dance set than anything for the stronger Sucker Punch to help sweep as well as stronger Leaf Blade/Spirit Shackle for walls. I think Jolly is needed for the attacking sets and it's just as good as Adamant on Swords Dance.
The way I looked at it is breloom can't really hit you, bisharp doesn't have a reason to just mash sucker punch you and unless volc is choice locked he isn't scared of the ko and decidueye fears the burn. Although I can see that reason for wanting a speed tie so you can uturn out.

I always have a hard time coming up with sets but I was just thinking this guy could work in a sort of slow u-turn core with Pelipper maybe. Add in Magnezone for perfect thunders and added ability to trap and kill steel types along side spirit shackle, then maybe run something that hates steels like mega sharpedo or maybe just run some frail set up sweepers that appreciate his ability to trap something they can set up on.

Edit: Well I threw together a team on Pelipper/Bulu/Decidueye/M Sharpedo/Magnezone/Toxicroak it's probably not the best set up but Pellipper, Decidueye, Magnezone certainly feels strong to me.

Last edited:
Also I'll mention this. I haven't used it, but I know people who have and said it works. Thous thing can run a set with

-spirit shackle
-curse
-roost
-toxic/Defog/etc.
Curse is bad lol
1. Ghost type. So it doesn't raise physical stats and lower speed. Good idea though, I've wished for a while now that it actually worked.
2. Even if it DID work, it's REALLY weak to phasers that it can't even touch in the first place (Looking at you Skarm)

Note: I now know that this is meant to be a trapper set. I assumed it was someone misinformed and/or forgot what Curse does and is. See next page for revised thoughts.

Last edited:
Curse is bad lol
1. Ghost type. So it doesn't raise physical stats and lower speed. Good idea though, I've wished for a while now that it actually worked.
2. Even if it DID work, it's REALLY weak to phasers that it can't even touch in the first place (Looking at you Skarm)
I guess the set is to trap the opponent and when decidueye uses curse, it kills the opponent in 4 turns, while u roost ur life away. good against stalls, pokemon immune to poison as toxic won't work on some mons. I actually saw a replay that he used decidueye to effectively kill a switched in toxapex. shall share the link when I get the chance

Curse is bad lol
It's a trapper set, not a boosting set. Thought that would be obvious. And who the fuck tries to curse on an obvious whirlwind. In theory, this thing basically kills everything that doesn't 2HKO it if it gets trapped.

this thing in general is great vs. defensive teams. a bulky sd set can trap pretty much anything that doesnt threaten it with status and proceed to set up (ferrothorn for example). i can confirm that curse trapper set works wonders as well, although its pretty much deadweight against offensive teams since most of the time ur just gonna take away 25% health

I guess the set is to trap the opponent and when decidueye uses curse, it kills the opponent in 4 turns, while u roost ur life away. good against stalls, pokemon immune to poison as toxic won't work on some mons. I actually saw a replay that he used decidueye to effectively kill a switched in toxapex. shall share the link when I get the chance
Hi guys. As promised, this is the link to the replay of the defensive curse decidueye set: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-481860501

and this is the link to a SD offensive set: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-482403600

It is amazing to see that decidueye can play different roles and it can actually do it pretty well. I am pretty surprised it can actually take a few hits comfortably.

I really like the sound of the curse set. I'm definitely going to give it a try. I like how versatile this mon can be overall a lot.

Hi guys. As promised, this is the link to the replay of the defensive curse decidueye set: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-481860501

and this is the link to a SD offensive set: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-482403600

It is amazing to see that decidueye can play different roles and it can actually do it pretty well. I am pretty surprised it can actually take a few hits comfortably.
What is your spread on that sd set? it looks super fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man what was the spread on that Curse set? I wanna say 252 HP and Def because it ate that LO Decidueye's Spirit Shackle without dying, and nearly KO'ed it in return with it's own SS on what I assumed was a 0 HP and Def spread. Does that sound right?

Looks like that Toxapex didn't have Recover. It would have gone way longer if it did. Still a pretty cool set though, particularly against Pokemon without reliable recovery. I'd suggest trying Substitute over Protect to see how that goes.

sorry guys, these werent my sets, i just watched replays on showdown. they do look great
Oh ok np. thanks though!

Tried out the curse set but with substitute instead of toxic so that way he can avoid status from stall, and it is super fun. love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see the curse set being an option for rain teams, as it can lure in bulky grass types like ferrothorn and amoongus in and trap them with spirit shackle. Then it can get rid of them for the teams rain sweepers.

The Defog set has potential, but will likely face a lot of competition. I think that Decidueye's immunities and mixed stats will make him a rather viable choice, even if other mons have better-ish stats.

Decidueye @ Choice Band
Ability: Long Reach
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Leaf Blade
- Sprit Shackle
- Low Sweep

This is my set and it's been working pretty effectively for me so far.

Does Spirit Shackle persist after the user switches out?
No it doesn't from what I'd guess, just like Mean Look.

I was about to breed an Impish one on-cart, but I realized the only way it can get Curse is by Farfetch'd, which is a transfer only Pokemon. Damn ;-;

I'll try a Jolly SD pivoter set in the meantime and see how it works. Someone posted it earlier, but here it is.

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Ability: Overgrow (till Long Reach comes out)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Spirit Shackle
- U-turn

Might I also provide a Nasty Plot option with HP Fighting? Already has 2 decent STABS in Energy Ball and Shadow Ball. It can hit Steel types and have the additional bonus of x4 dickery with Bisharp and Tyranitar.

Vague

Banned deucer.
I think offensive sets are just a waste since its too slow to effectively function as a threat in such as fast paced metagame. It also faces heavy competition as an offensive threat.

Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn / Baton Pass
- Roost
- Spirit Shackle
- Defog / Swords Dance / Nasty Plot

This is what you should be running. Hits a jump point in SpD while leaving a bit for its Def. Eye gains momentum incredibly easy with Shackle + U-turn or even Baton Pass + SD / NP works pretty darn well. Eye's offensive potential is pretty low but it's great for making other threats much deadlier and offering a free turn of setup which is a godsend for literally anything.

It's a trapper set, not a boosting set. Thought that would be obvious. And who the fuck tries to curse on an obvious whirlwind. In theory, this thing basically kills everything that doesn't 2HKO it if it gets trapped.
Assume nothing's obvious unless you blatantly state it. Also, your trapping's not gonna do much when you're most likely slower than your opponent, taking a hit, cursing which does tons of damage to yourself, and then taking another hit immediately the turn after before you can Roost. Regardless of how the argument's changed and how the set's supposed to be used, it's bad and a waste of a Decidueye. And also, "this thing basically kills everything that doesn't 2HKO it if it gets trapped." The argument works in theory but doesn't in practice. You're gonna be slower than 95% of the Offensive threats in the meta some way or another, and so the only way to get a free trap is to force a switch, Shackle the mon that switched in, tank a hit, curse, tank the next hit, and then roost spam until they die.

Sounds good. And then you remember that NOBODY IS GONNA SWITCH IN A MON IF IT CAN'T 2HKO YOU. So your set falls flat on its face in practice. I like the idea but it just doesn't work. You're better off trapping a mon on the switch (Which most likely beats you), and guarantee a free switch into the respective mon on your team that beats the switchin. It's why Tyranitar, Weavile, Magnezone, and Dugtrio are such good partners with Decidueye in the first place. Anyways, the only time this set could POSSIBLY work is against Stall without a phaser (Good luck finding one of those).

Sidenote: It seems a LOT of you are forgetting that Decidueye's trapping potential isn't like any other mons. The thing it's most comparable to is Pursuit and that's ONLY because it's a move. That's the key point to remember. It's a MOVE. This isn't Arena Trap. This isn't Shadow Tag (God bless). This isn't Magnet Pull. This is a move that hits the opponent and forces them to stay in. It's a move that needs to be used for utility, pivoting, and momentum shifting. Not single mon executions. Remember the limits it has and you'll use Decidueye a lot more efficiently.

Last edited:
Vague what's that spread do? I use decidueye on 2 of my 3 defensive teams but so far I've only gone max spdef and haven't invested much into EV hunts

Even on defensive sets, defog only comes in if nothing else on your team has it (unlikely). Leaf Blade/Shackle/Roost/U-Turn is basically the best four moves for the spdef wall set I've run. And it's hilariously good. It with mantine assures basically no Lando-I gets by, it covers electrics (thundy/Koko) for Mantine while Mantine covers Tornadus. Between the two of them, you have an incredibly solid Spdef core that is so good I've forgone chansey on multiple teams (mostly for Clefable since Alomomola faces too much competition with mantine/toxapex core). Mainly that electric resist is so sexy on stall right now when you want to run Skarm/Zap/Mantine/Toxapex/Mandi (Aegi)/Alomomola. Basically any rock weak defogger or electric weak staller can look to decidueye to be a decent helper to the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)