/
/
(x.25)
Weaknesses:
/
/
/
(x4)
Ability: Magnet Pull - Steel types cannot run nor switch while this Pokémon is in battle. Because the opponent’s switching is blocked, the opponent cannot switch on the turn this Pokémon switches out of battle. The opponent may still switch with Baton Pass.
Sturdy - The Pokémon will remain with 1 HP if it was going to be knocked out by a move when at full Hit Points, and it is immune to One Hit KO moves.
Hidden Ability (Available): Galvanize - Increases the power of Normal-type moves by 20%. It then changes those moves to Electric-type.
Base Stats - 80HP / 120 Atk / 130 Def / 55 SAtk / 65 SDef / 45 Spe

Level Up
  • Rollout (Pre-Evolution Only)
  • Tackle
  • Defense Curl
  • Charge
  • Rock Polish
  • Steamroller
  • Spark
  • Rock Throw
  • Smack Down
  • Thunder Punch
  • Self-Destruct
  • Stealth Rock
  • Rock Blast
  • Discharge
  • Explosion
  • Double-Edge
  • Stone Edge
  • Heavy Slam
TMs
  • Roar
  • Toxic
  • Hidden Power
  • Sunny Day
  • Hyper Beam
  • Protect
  • Frustration
  • Smack Down
  • Thunderbolt
  • Thunder
  • Earthquake
  • Return
  • Brick Break
  • Double Team
  • Flamethrower
  • Sandstorm
  • Fire Blast
  • Rock Tomb
  • Facade
  • Rest
  • Attract
  • Round
  • Echoed Voice
  • Focus Blast
  • Fling
  • Charge Beam
  • Brutal Swing
  • Explosion
  • Giga Impact
  • Rock Polish
  • Stone Edge
  • Volt Switch
  • Gyro Ball
  • Bulldoze
  • Rock Slide
  • Swagger
  • Sleep Talk
  • Substitute
  • Wild Charge
  • Nature Power
  • Confide
Egg Moves
  • Block
  • Flail
  • Curse
  • Rock Climb
  • Endure
  • Autotomize
  • Wide Guard
  • Magnet Rise
  • Counter
  • Screech
Z-Moves
  • Breakneck Blitz
  • All-Out Pummeling
  • Tectonic Rage
  • Continental Crush
  • Savage Spinout
  • Corkscrew Crash
  • Inferno Overdrive
  • Gigavolt Havoc
  • Black Hole Eclipse

While not a Mega Evolution like its Gen 1 Trade-Evolution cousins Gengar and Alakazam got, Alola Golem is still a unique creature unto itself, and debateably better than its original form in most regards. Rock/Electric is a unique typing and certainly a brutal offensive STAB combo. Not content with just Electric moves however, Golem-A has a new ability in Galvanize, turning Normal moves into Electric moves that get STAB on top of an inherent 20% power increase. With Golem's rock solid 120 Atk stat, Golem can produce some of the absolute strongest physical Electric moves in the game. The following calcs are adjusted to consider STAB and ability.

252+ Atk Golem Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 244-288 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recover
252+ Atk Golem Explosion vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 508-598 (125.7 - 148%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(I am unsure if Galvanized Explosion gets STAB or not but this calc assumes it does. Once I get feedback from research thread this will be updated.)

Defensively you get some nice trade offs. You no longer have those pesky 4x Water and Grass weaknesses, and you lose your weaknesses to Steel and Ice. While not immune to Electric, you still resist it, and now have a savage 4x Flying resistance. On the downside, you are now 4x weak to Ground and no longer resist SR or Rock in general. Nonetheless, the typing is much less lopsided for Golem, and he still gets a SpD Sandstorm buff, an immunity to Paralysis, and benefits from Electric Terrain and Magnet Rise.

Choice Band
Golem-A @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Nature Adamant
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge/Return
- Rest Talk/Facade/Volt Switch/Explosion

Standard CB set. Dual STAB and EdgeQuake coverage in one package. You really want max speed so you speed tie Adamant Marowak-A and outspeed Skarmory, Pelipper, Mantine, and Azumarill. There's just so many Water types you need the speed for. Double-Edge hits the hardest, but Return is an option to avoid recoil. Last slot you have options. SleepTalk to absorb sleep, Facade is great if you get burned or poisoned, and gets the Galvanized boost, and Explosion for a coup de grace!

*Research questions for future updates.
- Do Galvanized moves get Electric Terrain boosts?
- Does Charge boost a Galvanized move?
- Does Galvanized Explosion get STAB?

Last edited:
i believe Golem now holds the strongest explosion in the game? y/n

anyways eq stone edge and electric return/explosion is amazing coverage that i think is only resisted by Chesnaught/Breloom/Virizion.

Magnet Pull seems interesting but considering it loses its main STAB at killing steel types and the majority of them resist, are immune or tank enough EQs from this thing makes Galvanize infinetely superior.

Stronk af, but still booty cheeks typing and awful sdef & speed. May find a place in trick room squads, otherwise, hello RU (maybe BL2, that damage output is awfully high)

Golem-Alola @ Firium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 77 Atk / 252 SpA / 179 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
this set is nice, it's able to trap and KO ferrothorn, scizor, non EP heatran, skarmory, aegislash, and mega mawile, also beating alolan marowak.(the speed ev's allow you to outspeed bulky mega scizor). being able to set-up rokcs it's nice too, i know that magnzone will be the main steel trapper this gen too, but this thing have a lot of niches to distingue itself.

Golem-Alola @ Firium Z
EVs: 77 Atk / 252 SpA / 179 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
this set is nice, it's able to trap and KO ferrothorn, scizor, non EP heatran, skarmory, aegislash, and mega mawile, also beating alolan marowak.(the speed ev's allow you to outspeed bulky mega scizor). being able to set-up rokcs it's nice too, i know that magnzone will be the main steel trapper this gen too, but this thing have a lot of niches to distingue itself.
Cool set but those EVs don't make any sense. They only influence stats in multiples of 4. 4 EVs in a given stat = 1 point for that stat.

Jaroda

Choice Band
Golem-A @ Choice Band/Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Nature Adamant
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge/Return
- Rest Talk/Facade/Volt Switch/Explosion

Standard CB set. Dual STAB and EdgeQuake coverage in one package. You really want max speed so you speed tie Adamant Marowak-A and outspeed Skarmory, Pelipper, Mantine, and Azumarill. There's just so many Water types you need the speed for. Double-Edge hits the hardest, but Return is an option to avoid recoil. Last slot you have options. SleepTalk to absorb sleep, Facade is great if you get burned or poisoned, and gets the Galvanized boost, and Explosion for a coup de grace!

Rest Talk -> Sleep Talk and SleepTalk ->Sleep Talk

a set that i've been using on showdown w/ decent results

Golem-A @ Assault vest
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 148 SpD
Nature: Brave (0 speed IVs) / Adamant
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Double-Edge / Return
-Gyro Ball / heavy slam

The defensive EV spread helps it eat up scalds from more defensive water Pokemon like Toxapex, Tapu Fini, etc and either take them out w/ Double-Edge/Return or put a lot of pressure on the opponent. The spread also lets you tank non SE damage on both sides incredibly well. I'm still looking for a more optimal EV/Nature spread to get the most out of this thing but from my experience, it's ability to take hits barring things like EQ or high damage SE hits is surprisingly good. Having -speed nature and 0 IVs are to get the most out of gyro ball (and/or if you're running a trick room team) but most golem-A I've run into also run gyro ball so you could outspeed just running heavy slam instead.

On the offensive side, this thing is just a monster. great coverage w/ EQ/SE and Gyro Ball / Heavy Slam to check fairies. DE does more damage while Return is safer. Paired with Tapu Koko' E-terrain, everything that isn't immune or resistant takes HEFTY damage. for example, DE under E-terrain can ohko skarmory or 2-3hko after Roost.

I think there's so much potential for this mon on the right team. for instance, this thing could help tremendously on a sandstorm team. It can survive a non boosted Hydro Pump from modest max spA tapu fini and primarina after rocks when under sand. Or having the sand sub for the AV buff, you can pick up a more supportive roll w/ stealth rocks.

I really love this mon!

Golem-Alola @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge/Rock blast
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Rock Polish

I think this set is working good I've been testing it. I think RP golem is pretty good because it is bulky enough to eat up a hit and set up a rock polish and ko a mon. I ran stone edge because it is it's most powerful rock type attack or you can run rock blast if your worried about stone edge missing either one it is fine to run. Earthquake is something on it that is mandatory to run it with, strongest ground stab. Rock polish is pretty good on it since its able to boost his speed and making outspeed the team. I think giving this thing Magnet Pull is really cool because it is good for trapping steels that might pressure your team if your weak to it. Overall this mon might become in ru.

If golem-alola switches in, the most reasonable choice is to send out a ground-type pókemon (4x damage and electric resistance). Can he learn any attack that is super-effective against ground? If so, it could be used when we know 100% that a ground-type will switch in. Powerful electric explosion is tempting, but return is safer, by far. I'd avoid air balloon, life orb and assault vest can be much more useful.

No moves that beat Ground types, however current metagame predictions have relatively few Ground types. Garchomp will almost certainly be a metagame presence and trashes Golem-A. If Golem-A is going to be viable it needs teammates to deal with Chomp and possibly Flygon with its newfound buffs. Gliscor also walls it hard. Dugtrio traps and kills A-Golem, but fears Stone Edge on a predicted switch and can be outsped by the Rock Polish set.

Because of this I think Weavile and Skarmory make good teammates as all of these counter have to fear a predicted switch to Weavile when they switch in, and the only one that hits Skarmory reasonably hard is Garchomp if it runs Fire Blast. Skarmory also can lure out Magnezone for a fake-out into the magnet pull Golem sets.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Golem is a pretty solid suicide lead with Sturdy and ability to beat most spinners/defoggers with its rock / elec coverage

Alolem (Golem-Alola) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Wild Charge
- Explosion

It's not the best lead, but its one of the only rockers in pre bank. You want to have max hp so that in case you dont get hit, you dont take as much recoil from wild charge, but 0 ivs in def and spdef are there to put you in custap range. [i heard custap is not in pre bank, but ive been using this set in there lol]

I like Golem-A, that thing on its head looks like a Rail Gun. Plus, with Galvanize it manages to do something only Zekrom ever has before - be an Electric type that uses physical attacks well (Electivire honestly isn't very good). Some sets:

Specially Defensive

Golem-A @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Return
- Rock Blast / Rock Tomb / Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Toxic

This thing can wall most Flying types, most Electric types and Fire types without Grass coverage. Stealth Rock chips away at the opponent's team. Return is a safe STAB with Galvanize, hitting 122 base power. Rock Blast can break Substitutes; Rock Tomb lowers the foe's Speed; Stone Edge has the most power but the worst accuracy. Earthquake hits opposing Rock, Steel and Electric types. Toxic can be used to cripple Pokémon like Tangela which could otherwise wall this set. EVs maximise Special bulk, giving Golem great mixed bulk overall.

Well, since Alola Golem can't beat ground-types, maybe Toxic is a good choice (depending on the set). It can be used when we know the opponent is going to switch. Toxic will hit, because opponent won't send a Steel-type or a Poison-type against golem.

Toxic is interesting but it is hard to fit in into a moveset when you really want to run STAB's and EQ on almost any set. Might be good but with no stall capability Golem is just using it for the chip damage and needs a teammate to capitalize on it. Also doesn't help it beat Gliscor. If this guy makes it to OU Gliscor will be the biggest thorn in its side; Golem's best possible option against it as far as I can tell is Continental Crush which is the only thing besides non-Galvanize Explosion to deal more than 50%: waste of a Z-move to say the least.

If Golem goes to UU it also struggles with Krookodile. I really have no idea where it will end up tbh. It counters some common OU pokes and gets absolutely bodied by others. Definitely going to do some testing with it once I can get my mitts on a HA one (which is an absolutely obnoxious process).

What about a combination of Grassy Terrain + Grassy Seed to avoid the 4x ground weakness?? It could be a nice alternative to Magnet Pull and keep Galvanize. And that +1 def still works against Fighting/Grass hits

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. +1 0 HP / 252 Def Golem in Grassy Terrain: 148-180 (49.1 - 59.8%) -- 69.9% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that A-Golem is the perfect partner to Tapu Bulu.
Grassy Field covers the Ground weakness, while Tapu Bulu itself covers hard Fighting, Ground, Grass and Water checks.
Meanwhile, A-Golem covers Flying, Fire, Poison, and isn't particularly afraid of Steel (dat magnet pull, except Ground/Steel mons but let's forget those for a second) or Ice either since it can easily scare them with proper bulk investment.
I don't know, it just seems theoretically that these two should really get along. Has anyone tried running these two together? What do you think?

Golem-Alola @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge/Rock blast
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Rock Polish

I think this set is working good I've been testing it. I think RP golem is pretty good because it is bulky enough to eat up a hit and set up a rock polish and ko a mon. I ran stone edge because it is it's most powerful rock type attack or you can run rock blast if your worried about stone edge missing either one it is fine to run. Earthquake is something on it that is mandatory to run it with, strongest ground stab. Rock polish is pretty good on it since its able to boost his speed and making outspeed the team. I think giving this thing Magnet Pull is really cool because it is good for trapping steels that might pressure your team if your weak to it. Overall this mon might become in ru.
I'm assuming that, by Double-Edge, you meant Wild Charge? It doesn't make sense to run Double-Edge with Magnet Pull. Also, EQ isn't STAB, because Golem-A isn't ground-type, though I agree that it's mandatory especially if you want to hit Magnezone/Magneton while trapping them properly.

I personally think that Banded Golem-A with Magnet Pull is best if you want to make him a steel trapper.
For moveset:
Golem-Alola @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Volt Switch

It's a niche, but it works if you want to trap Genesect, Scizor, Magnezone, Skarmory, non-EQ or automotize boosted/speed invested Celesteela and utility Heatran, + other steel type builds that go towards defensive or utility sets. Wild Charge is your main move for hitting Skarmory and Celesteela; Skarmory dies if he invests in SpDef and gets 2HKOd if invested on Def. Celesteela can hit first if it invests in Speed and OHKO with Earthquake though, or it can lure you if it holds a Wacan berry. If it doesn't then Golem outruns it and OHKO's it unless it has significant investment in Def (and most common builds atm go for mixed bulk). EQ is for Utility Heatran and Magnezone. Only trap Utility Heatran because the other builds are faster and can just OHKO Golem-A with Earth Power. Stone Edge is secondary STAB and is mainly for hitting Genesect and both normal and mega Scizor hard (it narrowly misses out on the guaranteed OHKO for Genesect, and it 2HKOs bulky Mega Scizor). Do keep in mind though that Genesect will be faster than you and will 2HKO with Ice Beam. The 252 Speed EVs guarantee that you outspeed bulky Mega Scizor and 2HKO it with Stone Edge before it gets a chance to Roost. This may sound good on paper, but keep in mind too that Stone Edge is infamous for missing, and then you're at a disadvantage against both of these. Volt Switch is awfully weak, but it's there to keep momentum.

I suppose you could run Fire Blast over Volt switch and run a different nature than Adamant, but I found it to be mediocre in this build with the lack of Firium Z power. Stone Edge already hits Scizor and Genesect just as hard (if not harder), and it will never 2HKO Ferrothorn which just threatens Golem-A back with Power Whip. It may be good in the lower tiers, specially in UU to cleanly dispose of Forretress (2HKO at worst), although Stone Edge does that job too. Generally I prefer Volt Switch for momentum.

Even with this niche, I doubt Golem will be making much of a splash in OU since he gets outsped by a lot and he has serious problems dealing with ground types (edit: Dugtrio especially, he traps and fondles Golem-A unless Golem-A predicts and hits with Stone Edge on the switch). But I look forward to using him in whatever tier he ends up in. IMO Magnet Pull Golem-A < Galvanize Golem-A, the former just has a nice niche of being a physically oriented steel trapper over Magnezone being specially oriented, the latter is a lot more threatening with Galvanize boosted Return/Double-Edge and a stupidly powerful Explosion.

Last edited:
What about a combination of Grassy Terrain + Grassy Seed to avoid the 4x ground weakness?? It could be a nice alternative to Magnet Pull and keep Galvanize. And that +1 def still works against Fighting/Grass hits

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. +1 0 HP / 252 Def Golem in Grassy Terrain: 148-180 (49.1 - 59.8%) -- 69.9% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

The problem is Alolan Golem can't ohko garchomp so i dont see a reason why to run that combo in the first place tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)