Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Hello, I'm considering making a post (or infographic(s), I'm feeling a little creative today) about the synergy between the weather and terrains and some ideas of what pokemon would be useful for weather/terrain teams, and I was wondering where such a post would go? As a post, this thread seems the most appropriate, but I'm wondering if it would be okay to make a separate thread for the weather/terrain topic to discuss teambulding ideas and strategy (I'm assuming one currently doesn't exist yet and the search result seem to agree with me).

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just tested this out because today is my birthday, but I just got some balloons and a music change. No free pikachu. Talked to everyone in the building. Unless it has to be a specific pokemon centre, which I doubt.
I think they confused the Pokémon Centers in Japan (where you do get a Pikachu with Celebrate on your birthday) with the in-game Pokémon Center.

Regarding the Official Strategy Guide's error, is that possible that this may indicate an update change when pokebank comes out or is this kind of hope completely out of reach ?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Regarding the Official Strategy Guide's error, is that possible that this may indicate an update change when pokebank comes out or is this kind of hope completely out of reach ?
This isn't strictly impossible, but I'll warn you it's heavily unlikely.

Reading through the player's guide, it seems that it does provide some new and correct info regarding battle mechanics i.e. Ash-Greninja's Water Shuriken and the drop in -ate abilities to 1.2x, but there are some places where it is wrong. The description for Weak Armor is wrong (still says speed goes up one stage) as well as Wonder Room (says it moves last, but priority was changed to 0 last generation). Basically, the guide gives good hints where to start. It even mentioned Dark-type immunity to Prankster! But, we should still tests things to make sure the guide is correct.

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question about making a thread for Weather/terrain discussions, (I'm going with environments as a blanket term for now), but in the meantime I have a question regarding Nature Power and Secret Power.

My focus for the thread/post/infographic involves using terrains and weather effect simultaneously, for this reason I want to know a list of moves nature Power becomes under all 8 environments and more importantly, which environment gets priority if a weather and terrain are both in effect for these moves (example: Rain+Electric terrain, would Nature Power become a Water-type move or an Electric type?)

Can we get a Pickup Table please :> Or however it is called in the game's coding. I want to get a Destiny Knot and want to know if there is a better level than 25 :(

I did (if that was directed at the destiny knot thing and not my questions, then I apologize) But the list feels ambiguous in certain parts (I know that the Gen VI Terrains have effects on this and I can assume Snow works like Hail for Nature power, but I'm still having trouble gauging if Psychic terrain, Sandstorm, Rain or Sunny Day affects Nature Power.)

I did (if that was directed at the destiny knot thing and not my questions, then I apologize) But the list feels ambiguous in certain parts (I know that the Gen VI Terrains have effects on this and I can assume Snow works like Hail for Nature power, but I'm still having trouble gauging if Psychic terrain, Sandstorm, Rain or Sunny Day affects Nature Power.)
Nature Power only changes with Terrain, not weather. It still transforms your attack into the respective terrain type (Electric Terrain=Thunderbolt, Grassy Terrain=Energy Ball, Misty Terrain=Moonblast, Psychic Terrain=Psychic). Not sure if Secret Power effects have changed yet. Bulbapedia lists what Secret Power does on each terrain from XYORAS, but like I said, it may have changed. Not sure if anyone has tested to see if it has changed or not.

I was battling a Skarmory with my Toucannon in Moon and I tried to burn it with Beak Blast's charge up phase. To my surprise, the opposing Skarmory's trainer had it use Supersonic Skystrike... and did not get burned afterwards. Unfortunately, the (level 34) Skarmory only used Steel Wing after the Z-Move, so I don't know which base move it had.

This leaves me with a question: do all Z-Moves not make contact?

I was battling a Skarmory with my Toucannon in Moon and I tried to burn it with Beak Blast's charge up phase. To my surprise, the opposing Skarmory's trainer had it use Supersonic Skystrike... and did not get burned afterwards. Unfortunately, the (level 34) Skarmory only used Steel Wing after the Z-Move, so I don't know which base move it had.

This leaves me with a question: do all Z-Moves not make contact?
A few (e.g. Pulverizing Pancake) do (flag 0x1). AFAIK the generic ones don't, regardless of whether or not the base move made contact.

(This might be in the OP, but I didn't see it)

Pain Split apparently doesn't activate Emergency Exit.
A Gourgeist in the Battle Tree used Pain Split, dropping my Golisopod's HP below half, but Golisopod didn't switch and got off a Leech Life (this happened twice). (Battle Video coming later)

how does bad dreams, nightmare, and chesto berry interact with comatose
Bad dreams deals damage each turn.
Komala failed to eat the Chesto Berry when it was tricked onto it.
Nightmare does damage each turn.
Dream Eater does its thing.
Spore fails (just throwing this in here).

Bad dreams deals damage each turn.
Komala failed to eat the Chesto Berry when it was tricked onto it.
Nightmare does damage each turn.
Dream Eater does its thing.
Spore fails (just throwing this in here).
Basically everything behaves as if it's asleep. I don't think any exceptions have been found yet, so that's probably the rule. It's like having the sleep status except you never wake up (and anything that would either put you to sleep or wake you up will fail).

Just in case anyone was wondering, I just confirmed that using Mirror Move on a Z-move will cause mirror move to fail. Not sure how it works out with mimic/copycat, but I'm expecting similar results.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Just to be comprehensive, what about Wake-Up Slap?
Already in OP, Wake Up Slap and Hex do double.

I've also been digging around looking at some misc stuff most people might've skipped over before, just in case there were changes. I tested Shell Bell (unchanged) and dug around in various crit mechanics (also looking unchanged). Just noting that they've been looked at.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
In addition to what it already does, Aura Break now lowers the power of Fairy and Dark-type moves by 25%.
It works the same was as it did in gen 6. Either way, here are the rolls...
ih8ih8sn0w, I think there's something you have missed: Aura Break used to revert Fairy/Dark Aura from 4/3 to 3/4 (so it reduced damage by 25%). What the Guide supposedly says is that now all Fairy/Dark moves have this reduction modifier. This is relevant in OU for Zygarde.

Yes, you roll for confusion when you copy a move with Dancer. Additionally, this DOES count for a confusion turn. It doesn't look like you can Dancer Teeter Dance when you're already confused.

This led to some more testing. Paralysis and Freeze Roll on Dancer, and a Sleep Turn is also used up by Dancer's activation. If a Dance move fails (this includes having +6 on a move like Swords Dance) Dancer can't copy it, but if the Dancer's move would fail (and the attacker's didn't) Dancer DOES copy the move.
I think the answer is yes, but what about Instruct? Would it waste a Sleep turn?

Just to be comprehensive, what about Wake-Up Slap?
already in the OP.

More on comatose:
skill swap fails on both ends.
Simple Beam fails.
Entrainment fails on both ends.
Mummy fails to change its ability.

Not sure if this is new information, just throwing it out there though because I wanted to test (along with the above comatose thing)
Mummy fails when a Protective Pads holder makes contact with the Mummy. Gives the message: [pokemon]'s Mummy (the ability popup on the side) "Lurantis protected itself with Protective Pads!"
Mummy activates if the owner of the ability is holding Protective Pads.

More stuff on Triage (suggested by Kris on PS).
Wish is +3
Healing Wish is +3
Lunar Dance is +3

ih8ih8sn0w, I think there's something you have missed: Aura Break used to revert Fairy/Dark Aura from 4/3 to 3/4 (so it reduced damage by 25%). What the Guide supposedly says is that now all Fairy/Dark moves have this reduction modifier. This is relevant in OU for Zygarde.
That was what the non stab calcs and the arceus was for, sorry for not making it clear.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/803461206623318016
Apparently, there's some sort of glitch regarding Parting Shot and Memento (Z-Parting Shot and Z-Memento?). Does someone know anything about this?
Unsure, and I can't really test complicated doubles mechanics by myself, but if I had to take a shot in the dark I'd look at funky interactions involving phazing/killing mons on the turn those moves activated Z-Power, but also fail. I can't feasibly see any other method in which you'd cause these moves to bug.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)