Ubers Deoxys-S

[OVERVIEW]

* It is the fastest Pokemon in the game, allowing it to outspeed all non-Choice Scarf users.
* It has access to a large number of utility moves, including Stealth Rock, Spikes, Taunt, Magic Coat, and Skill Swap.
* It is reasonably consistent at setting entry hazards.
* It only really fits on hyper offense.
* Its bulk is fairly average at best.
* It gets shut down by both Magic Coat and Magic Bounce, although the latter is somewhat remedied by Skill Swap.
* The Darkrai nerf has hurt Deoxys-S a lot, as it no longer has a consistent counterlead for threats like Cloyster and Excadrill.

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Spikes
move 4: Magic Coat / Skill Swap
item: Focus Sash
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Stealth Rock allows Deoxys-S to free up a moveslot in a teammate’s set.
* Taunt ensures that Deoxys-S isn’t turned into set up fodder by an opposing lead, most notably Darkrai.
* Spikes provides Deoxys-S with a secondary entry hazard to setup before it faints.
* Magic Coat can be used to reflect Taunts from opposing Deoxys-S, but this requires some prediction to work.
* Skill Swap is an alternative option to avoid being completely walled by Mega Sableye, the only relevant Magic Bounce user in the tier.

Set Details
========

* A Focus Sash is used to make sure that Deoxys-S will almost always get up Stealth Rock against opposing leads.
* Rocky Helmet is viable to punish Rapid Spin users and physical priority, but it doesn't really have much of a niche outside of that and means that Deoxys-S is less consistent in getting up Stealth Rock.
* Maximum Speed investment is run to outpace opposing Deoxys-S leads.
* An alternate spread of 24 Spe / 232 Def / 248 HP with a Timid nature can be used if running Magic Coat, with the 24 Speed EVs being used to outpace maximum Speed Deoxys-A and Pheromosa.

Usage Tips
=======

* Deoxys-S should almost always be the lead Pokemon, unless anti-leads are seen in the Team Preview, in which case something that can beat that Pokemon should be used.
* Taunt should be used against defensive Pokemon that rely on status moves, as well as against set up sweepers to avoid becoming set up bait.
* Skill Swap should be selected against Mega Sableye to ensure Deoxys-S can set up Stealth Rock.
* If running Rocky Helmet, Deoxys-S should continually reset hazards against spinners, as they are punished more than it is.

Team Options
=======

* Primal Groudon with Swords Dance or Rock Polish makes for a good partner, as the use of Deoxys-S frees up its Stealth Rock slot.
* Arceus-Normal, Mega Salamence and Geomancy Xerneas also make decent teammates, as they appreciate the support from Stealth Rock and Spikes to grab KOs they otherwise wouldn't get.
* Other Pokemon that enjoy exploiting the additional chip damage from Spikes like Pheromosa are solid partners for Deoxys-S.
* Spinblockers such as Lunala and Giratina-O make for good partners as the Darkrai nerf means that Deoxys-S teams no longer have a reliable way to counterlead Rapid Spin users such as Excadrill and Cloyster.
* Mega Gengar has good synergy with Deoxys-S, since it can trap and eliminate Scolipede, allowing Deoxys-S to set hazards.
* Fast Taunt users such as Tapu Koko and Mewtwo are useful teammates for their ability to outspeed and Taunt support Arceus formes, which can otherwise Defog away hazards set by Deoxys-S when it is eliminated.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* A dual screens set is an option, but it forces Deoxys-S to run Light Clay over Focus Sash, making it less reliable at setting Stealth Rock.
* Deoxys-S can run a more offensive set with Psycho Boost to surprise some Pokemon, but its lackluster offenses mean that it's mostly outclassed by Deoxys-A in that regard.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye completely shuts down Deoxys-S with its ability Magic Bounce, although this can be nullified with Skill Swap.

**Scolipede**: Speed Boost means that Scolipede can easily anti-lead Deoxys-S by using Protect on the first turn and then potentially breaking its Focus Sash and OHKOing it on the second.

**Giratina-O**: Giratina-O can 2HKO Deoxys-S with Shadow Sneak and then proceed to Defog away any hazards it set.

**Darkrai**: Darkrai can force the Deoxys-S user to either Taunt and risk taking a Dark Pulse or go for Stealth Rock and possibly be put to sleep.

**Rapid Spin Users**: Other suicide leads with access to Rapid Spin, such as Cloyster and Excadrill, can beat Deoxys-S one-on-one, since they can get rid of all the hazards it sets without worrying about Taunt.

**Arceus-Normal**: Extreme Killer Arceus can force Deoxys-S to either Taunt to stop it from setting up or set up Stealth Rock, resulting in prediction games.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers like Primal Kyogre, Calm Mind Arceus-Ghost and Yveltal can easily take care of Deoxys-S because its Special Defense is quite low when uninvested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd put an attacking move on the Lead set, so as not to be completely shut down by Taunt. You do have Magic Coat to bounce that back, but in the event that you fail to properly predict a Taunt, there's not much you can do. And against Mega Gengar, who also has Shadow Tag, this set may end up struggling to do its job effectively, pun intended.

I'd put an attacking move on the Lead set, so as not to be completely shut down by Taunt. You do have Magic Coat to bounce that back, but in the event that you fail to properly predict a Taunt, there's not much you can do. And against Mega Gengar, who also has Shadow Tag, this set may end up struggling to do its job effectively, pun intended.
The set has Taunt itself though, so you don't even need to predict with Magic Coat, since it outspeeds all non-scarfers bar itself.

I think you'd do best in going for max speed unless you run mcoat. Your alternative spread, albeit intriguing, seems more like set details material to me. Going with a max speed set for the main spread is simpler. I will probably eat this post with more tips later (or I will post again).

Sure, implemented. I agree that max Speed is probably the best option if not running Magic Coat.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
You didn't actually change the set, merely the set details.

Sableye should definitely be above Darkrai in the list of checks and counters, and I'd put it first overall, above Scolipede too.

Mention other suicide leads (ie Excadrill, Cloyster) counterlead Deo-S by use of rapid spin, preventing it from getting up any hazards in the first place.

You didn't actually change the set, merely the set details.

Sableye should definitely be above Darkrai in the list of checks and counters, and I'd put it first overall, above Scolipede too.

Mention other suicide leads (ie Excadrill, Cloyster) counterlead Deo-S by use of rapid spin, preventing it from getting up any hazards in the first place.
Nice catch. Fixed.

Yeah, I wasn't really writing the Checks and Counters in any order in particular at the time. I agree Mega Sableye is probably it's #1 check. I moved Darkrai to below Giratina-O as well since I feel it's more reliable for that purpose. As for other suicide leads: I didn't think of that, thanks. Added to the skeleton.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
I don't think skill swap should be slashed after anything and should be a main move, so Deo-s builds have any kind of chance of getting SR up vs Msab builds (stall) which are still relevant in the tier. Magic coat should be slashed with spikes, with spikes being the main option. Being somewhat competent versus the stall matchup is much more important than having a edge against HO teams, opposing Deo-S aren't very common right now and I've generally seen ppl opt for Dialga as Hazard setter and spikes also gives you a advantage over those slightly more common dialga teams.

Add ExtremeKiller to checks, leading Ekiller vs Deo-s teams is common practice among some players and forces Deo-S in a predicament between taunt or Sr, and can be threatening on a wrong prediction. Niche ekiller sets like magic coat can completely anti-lead it.

Reactions: ckw
I don't think skill swap should be slashed after anything and should be a main move, so Deo-s builds have any kind of chance of getting SR up vs Msab builds (stall) which are still relevant in the tier. Magic coat should be slashed with spikes, with spikes being the main option. Being somewhat competent versus the stall matchup is much more important than having a edge against HO teams, opposing Deo-S aren't very common right now and I've generally seen ppl opt for Dialga as Hazard setter and spikes also gives you a advantage over those slightly more common dialga teams.

Add ExtremeKiller to checks, leading Ekiller vs Deo-s teams is common practice among some players and forces Deo-S in a predicament between taunt or Sr, and can be threatening on a wrong prediction. Niche ekiller sets like magic coat can completely anti-lead it.
I see your point, but with the lack of Mega Diancie in the game as well as the fact that stall is less relevant now thanks to things like Calm Mind Lunala is why I feel that Magic Coat will be a lot less useful than what it was last gen.

And sure, I'll do that.

EV spread is the other way around, switch the hp and speed around. Other than that this is fine, Skill Swap is legit just for Sableye and its much less common than before. The formatting is a bit random in parts, fix it up to get it in line with other skeletons. Rather simple skeleton for a simple mon, I apologize for letting this take so long to get to.

QC 1/3

Reactions: Wob
there needs to be more of an emphasis on darkrai. the nerf in sm heavily impacted the way deo-s teams are played. no longer do you have an immediate antilead for most of the major threats to deo-s like excadrill and cloyster. now, you require much more of a thoughtful structure in order to counteract these pokemon and craft a consistent offense. as such, spinblockers should receive a mention as they're now far more relevant on deo-s teams. furthermore, i would perhaps mention solid spikes abusers like pheromosa as a partner; it also has the added benefit of antileading excadrill. additionally, choice scarf xern's mention seems rather random? lastly, you have some inconsistencies such as saying 'phantom force' on gira-o instead of shadow force; the mention itself is suspect given that gira-o would never shadow force deo-s anyway.

please make these changes and consider this qc 2/3

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In team options add Tapu Koko (fast Taunt), and any other relevant Taunt users that outspeed support Arceus.

QC: 3/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
for implementing gp checks, read this
make sure to get the analysis format from here
also make sure to use straight apostrophes (like this: ') not curly ones!

GP 1/1

[OVERVIEW]

- It is the fastest Pokemon in the game. (explain why this is important)
- It has access to a large number of utility moves, including Stealth Rock, Spikes, Taunt, Magic Coat, and Skill Swap.
- It is reasonably consistent at setting entry hazards.
- It only really fits on hyper offense.
- Its bulk is fairly average bulk at best.
- It gets shut down by both Magic Coat and Magic Bounce, although the latter is somewhat remedied by Skill Swap.
- The Darkrai nerf has hurt Deoxys-S a lot, as it no longer has a consistent counterlead for threats like Cloyster and Excadrill.

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Spikes
move 4: Magic Coat / Skill Swap
item: Focus Sash
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe / 8 Def / 248 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

- Stealth Rock allows Deoxys-S to free up a moveslot in a teammate's set.
- Taunt ensures that Deoxys-S isn't turned into setup fodder by an opposing lead, most notably Darkrai.
- Spikes provides Deoxys-S with a secondary entry hazard to set up before it faints.
- Magic Coat can be used to reflect Taunts from opposing Deoxys-S back, but however this requires some prediction to work.
- Skill Swap is an alternative option to avoid being completely walled by Mega Sableye, the only relevant Magic Bounce user in the tier.

Set Details
========

- A Focus Sash is used to make sure that Deoxys-S will almost always get up Stealth Rock against opposing leads.
- Rocky Helmet is viable to punish Rapid Spin users and physical priority, but it doesn't really have much of a niche outside of that and means that Deoxys-S is less consistent in getting up Stealth Rock.
- Maximum Speed investment is run to outpace opposing Deoxys-S leads.
- An alternate spread of 24 Spe / 232 Def / 248 HP with a Timid nature can be used if running Magic Coat, with the 24 Speed EVs being used to outpace maximum Speed Deoxys-A and Pheromosa.

Usage Tips
=======

- Deoxys-S should almost always be the lead Pokemon, unless anti-leads are seen in the Team Preview, in which case something that can beat that Pokemon should be used.
- Taunt should be used against defensive Pokemon who that rely on status moves, as well as against setup sweepers to avoid becoming setup bait.
- Skill Swap should be selected against Mega Sableye to ensure Deoxys-S can set up Stealth Rock.
- If running Rocky Helmet, Deoxys-S should continually (ok, props for using that word haha, a lot of people incorrectly write "constantly" instead) reset hazards against spinners, as they are punished more than it is.

Team Options
=======

- Primal Groudon with Swords Dance and/or Rock Polish makes for a good partner, as the use of Deoxys-S frees up its Stealth Rock slot.
- Arceus-Normal, Mega Salamence and Geomancy Xerneas also make decent teammates, as they appreciate the support from Stealth Rock and Spikes to grab KOs they otherwise wouldn't get.
- Other Pokemon that enjoy abusing exploiting the additional chip damage from Spikes like Pheromosa are solid partners for Deoxys-S.
- Spinblockers such as Lunala and Giratina-O make for good partners, as the Darkrai nerf means that Deoxys-S teams no longer have a reliable way to counterlead Rapid Spin users such as Excadrill and Cloyster.
- Mega Gengar has good synergy with Deoxys-S, since it can trap and eliminate Scolipede, allowing Deoxys-S to set hazards.
- Fast Taunt users such as Tapu Koko and Mewtwo are useful teammates for their ability to outspeed and Taunt support Arceus formes, which can otherwise Defog away hazards set by Deoxys-S when it is eliminated.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

- A dual screens set is an option, but it forces Deoxys-S to run Light Clay over Focus Sash, making it less reliable at setting Stealth Rock.
- Deoxys-S can run a more offensive set with Psycho Boost to surprise some Pokemon, but its lackluster offenses mean that it's mostly outclassed by Deoxys-A in that regard.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye completely shuts down Deoxys-S with its ability Magic Bounce, although this can be nullified with Skill Swap.

**Scolipede**: Speed Boost means that Scolipede can easily anti-lead Deoxys-S by using Protect protecting on the first turn, (RC) and then potentially breaking its Focus Sash it's sash and OHKOing it on the second.

**Giratina-O**: Giratina-O can 2HKO Deoxys-S with Shadow Sneak, (RC) and then proceed to Defog away any hazards it set.

**Darkrai**: Darkrai can force the Deoxys-S user to either Taunt and risk taking a Dark Pulse, (RC) or go for Stealth Rock and possibly be put to sleep.

**Rapid Spin Users**: Other suicide leads with access to Rapid Spin, such as Cloyster and Excadrill, can beat Deoxys-S one-on-one in a 1v1, since they can get rid of all the hazards it sets without worrying about Taunt.

**Arceus-Normal**: Extreme Killer Arceus can force forces Deoxys-S to either Taunt to stop it from setting up, (RC) or set up Stealth Rock, resulting in prediction games.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers like Primal Kyogre, Calm Mind Arceus-Ghost, and Yveltal can easily take care of Deoxys-S because it's its Special Defense is quite low when uninvested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)