Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Hello, I am here looking for some advice on Super Singles for when I start it. Unlike Battle Maison I intend to tackle the Battle Tree with series teams. Now here's the deal:

After 3-4 agonizing hours, I was finally able to score a Mareanie with Regenerator. I currently have it in the daycare with a Haze Surskit and I definitely am going to use one not matter what. Not only does Toxapex seem like a all-round great wall to help take attacks from both offensive angles, but after all the time I put in to get the sucker I am definitely going to use it. I already know the ideal build:

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Bold Nature
-Scald
-Haze
-Toxic
-Recover

The other 2 slots where I could use some advice. I was thinking that with such a bulky yet passive Pokemon to sponge attacks and stall as needed while shutting down jank, stat boosters, I think it would make sense for the other two to have more offensive presence, namely a strong yet bulky physically attacker and a strong yet bulky special attacker. These two came to mind:

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Att / 252 Speed
Nature: Adamant/Jolly/Naive
-Return
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance/Roost
-Dragon Dance/Roost/Flamethrower/Fire Blast

With Intimidate Salamence would get in well against a lot of physical attacking Pokemon and the stats he gets when Mega-evolved and after being augmented by Aerialate would make him monstrous. Sadly I have a bit 4MSS in regards to him. I'd love to just role with Earthquake an Return but I am worried about Steels that ignore Earthquake like Skarmory, hence the Fire moves. But then I realized that with Dragon Dance and Roost I could boost up to overwhelm these Steels. I am leaning a bit towards Adamant with the 2 support moves but could use advice.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Terrain
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast/Shadow Ball
- Aromatherapy

Psychic Terrain lets Tapu Lele hit mad hard. And with Choice Scarf I can speed many unboosted Pokemon. I bet you're wondering what Aromatherapy is for. It's basically a wonky attempt at role compression since we only get 3 Pokemon. In case of an emergency where Salamence catches a nasty status condition due to the enemy surviving or having a Focus Sash, Lele can come in for an emergency heal up. But of the three Lele is the one I think has the most room for suggestion.

And if you think there are more ideal Pokemon than the last 2 I'd take those suggestions too. But Toxapex is staying no matter what. lol

PS: Does Battle Tree have a Sleep Clause or can multiple Pokemon be put to sleep?

The Battle Tree does not have Sleep Clause (or Evasion Clause) which makes for other haxy scenarios.

The Tapu Lele set I don't think is optimised, imo if ur afraid if Coverage/Status issues use Lum Berry Dragonite or run Sub on Salamance.

The Battle Tree does not have Sleep Clause (or Evasion Clause) which makes for other haxy scenarios.

The Tapu Lele set I don't think is optimised, imo if ur afraid if Coverage/Status issues use Lum Berry Dragonite or run Sub on Salamance.
Ugh...just like the Maison. Well Brightpowder notwithstanding, Toxapex's Haze should shut down any Evasion shenanigans, but I am now worried about Pokemon having Focus Sashes to guarantee survival and hitting me with sleep and all that garbage. Hmm, I think I am gonna go with Sub on Salamence. Dragonite's Lum Berry set seems solid and all but I want to have a Pokemon that gets a potent and consistent speed tier while changing up the moves which M. Salamence fits. Since nothing is immune to Flying, I might forgo Earthquake for Substitute. And at that point I'd definitely go for a Jolly nature.

As for Tapu Lele, I'll probably drop Aromatherapy for Shadow Ball. And should I nix Focus Blast for Thunderbolt? The Fighting coverage is sexy, but I could see even a single Focus Miss costing me a run.

Is it possible that http://turskain.github.io/ is not yet 100% accurate?

I just missed a U-turn against an Araquanid. Possibly it was holding Bright Powder...
Yes, Araquanid-1 has bright powder, but it doesn't pop-up immediately on the damage calculator. I recommend double checking with the spreadsheet if any of the damage calc's builds say no Item.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D7T0jCHBkDppjTB0_rJyK0houk8zE3wLmZ1DlVXEkXg/edit?usp=sharing

Everything has an item.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Can someone clarify if:
If I want a Bottle Cap from the Battle Tree daily, I have to literally get a 30-streak every single day?

I reached 30 on Day 1 and got the rewards up to 30 on Day 2 (Milk, PP Up, etc.)
I did 5 on Day 2 to 35 but got nothing for that.
Did another 5 on Day 3 to 40 and got nothing, too.
But on Day 4, I hit 50, and got all the rewards up to 50 on Day 5 (Milk, PP Up, Abi Cap, Bottle Cap)

I'm really confused on how this works and I just really want the "daily" bottle cap.

Last edited:
A
Can someone clarify if:
If I want a Bottle Cap from the Battle Tree daily, I have to literally get a 30-streak every single day?

But on Day 4, I hit 50, and got all the rewards up to 50 on Day 5 (Milk, PP Up, Abi Cap, Bottle Cap)

I'm really confused on how this works and I just really want the "daily" bottle cap.
As I understand it from Reddit/Serebii. If you were to go to 31, then intentionally throw the game, you'd get a bottle cap every day. However going from 30 to 60 does not get you the bottle cap.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
A

As I understand it from Reddit/Serebii. If you were to go to 31, then intentionally throw the game, you'd get a bottle cap every day. However going from 30 to 60 does not get you the bottle cap.
That dosen't really explain how I got a cap from doing 10 matches from 40 to 50, but nothing from getting from 30-35 and then 35-40

I've got the stamps for Singles and Doubles now and aiming for the Multi. Definitely struggling with Kiawe's partner AI for what would otherwise be a solid team. But first the Singles team, which made it to 52 after quite a few tries:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Megahorn

Tapu Koko has obviously worked out well as a lead. I use a mixed set with Brave Bird mostly to nail some Grass-types that Gyarados or Bulu can otherwise pick off if Koko doesn't make it out alive. I did have quite some trouble with Poison-types, and often had to sacrifice a tapu just for Gyarados to come in for a shaky revenge kill. This team carried me pretty often into the 40s, but twice I got shut out by Venusaur-4 (bulky-Def Mega), one of which was Red's. On the rematch with Red, I swapped out Tapu Bulu for SubDisable Salazzle out of Venusaur salt, even though he only went with Blastoise/Lapras/Snorlax the second time around:

Salazzle @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 12 HP / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Disable

Besides Venusaur, she otherwise nicely handles stally bullshit like Blissey-4 or Alola Muk-1 (Minimize) and every Umbreon out there despite holding up like wet paper. She can Toxic stall almost any slower Poke, especially with Toxic never missing (seriously fuck Minimize/Double Team). Defensive Pokes in the Tree often carry one move that can KO Salazzle, much less break her Sub, and they are easily Disabled by predictable AI. I think she could carry a higher streak with better support, but until then I have dropped her since my pool of 'mons are pretty limited until Bank.

Doubles was easier for me. Only took three tries to break 50 and swept Blue but got stopped at 58. I used Tapu Koko, Golisopod, Porygon-Z, and Gyarados:

Golisopod (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Hyper Beam
- Conversion

Yes, you read Hyper Beam right. With the shorter battle format, I found that having the option to either set up Z-Conversion boosted by Electric Terrain or nuke everything bar Ghosts without missing was too good not to try. Alola Marowak isn't around much to ruin the party, leaving Magnezone as the only big fear for Porygon-Z.

I'm using Tapu Koko and Gyarados with Kiawe's Kangaskhan-4 and Talonflame-4 since he's the only decent partner I've bothered to scout. Still, Kiawe's AI only goes so far and we only made it to 45 once. Generally he is pretty good at Faking Out first turn with Mega Kanga (although I have to guess which opponent) but constantly EQs when Gyarados comes in and even after I have Mega Evolved it. Anyone have any luck with other Multi partners?
Phew, finally got the Multi stamp with Kiawe! I swapped out Gyarados for Golisopod and made it to 50 a lot easier. His Kangaskhan was far less likely to spam EQ when I switched to Golisopod and the few times he did, Golisopod tanked it easily. I was also more careful to predict which opponent he would Fake Out first.

I ran into Red's Venusaur-4 again but thankfully Mega Kanga sp00ked it turn 1, allowing me to switch Tapu Koko into Golisopod safely. Cinched it from there.

Just lost at 49 to goddamn Quick Claw haxx (activated 5 times in a row...) I know I definitely would've won because I just needed to hit ONCE but I didn't. Here's my team, let me know what you think.

1) Mimikyu w/ Wide Lense. Jolly @ 252 Atk/Spd
-Shadow Claw
-Shadow Sneak
-Swords Dance
-Rough Play

I'm trying to NEVER miss so I chose Wide Lense over a Z-move, as rough play is a phenomenal move.

2) Garchomp w/Life Orb. Jolly @ 252 Atk/Spd
-Fire Fang
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Outrage

SD + Outrage can down anything that doesn't resist. I chose Fire Fang over Fireblast because of accuracy. I've lost runs to Fireblast missing before.

3) Scizor w/Scizorite. Adamant @252 atk/spd
-Roost
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-X-Scisor

I've played around with Aegislash and Metagross. But most of Metagross' moves are 90 accuracy and prone to missing in battle tree. Aegislash has never been as useful to me as Scizor so I'm keeping him.

I've tried running Pheromosa, Tapu Lele, Dragonite, Aegislash, Golisopod, and a bunch of others to lesser effectiveness.

Can someone clarify if:

Seconded. I reached 50 yesterday, talked to the receptionist today, and I didn't get an Ability Capsule. The page on Serebii doesn't help.

I know you are much more advanced into this than me but I have to propose a Pokemon I use for my Streak of 32(I know, not a lot)

Gluttony Snorlax
[Adamant]
@Figy Berry
Double-Edge (tedious egg move you have to teach)
Crunch
Earthquake
Recycle

252 Atk 100 Def 152 SDef(<- obviously can be optimized)

=> It is simply a great check to pretty much all non-fighting special attackers in the tree. In case you are unaware, Gluttony+Recycle is pretty much a Recover for Snorlax, a move it wanted since Gen 1. I use it in Singles alongside Pheromosa and Tapu Lele and it always comes in clutch.

I bet it can be optimized even further!

Seconded. I reached 50 yesterday, talked to the receptionist today, and I didn't get an Ability Capsule. The page on Serebii doesn't help.
I had the same problem, but I believe you get the rewards once your streak is completed. So to get the daily Bottle Cap, you'd have to achieve a thirty-battle win streak and then lose, so that you could reap the benefits of said streak. I reached fifty, lost a fifty-two, and then got all the prize items.

I had the same problem, but I believe you get the rewards once your streak is completed. So to get the daily Bottle Cap, you'd have to achieve a thirty-battle win streak and then lose, so that you could reap the benefits of said streak. I reached fifty, lost a fifty-two, and then got all the prize items.
That seems counter intuitive, you get rewarded only after you lose a streak? The way you received items in other battle facilities was fine, not sure why they would change it. So, if I get a streak of 50 and end the steak, I would get Ability Capsule + others on the day after only, right?

Can anyone give me some insight to Modest Raichu using thunderbolt on electric terrain on an opponent vs timid and electro ball please?

That seems counter intuitive, you get rewarded only after you lose a streak? The way you received items in other battle facilities was fine, not sure why they would change it. So, if I get a streak of 50 and end the steak, I would get Ability Capsule + others on the day after only, right?
I suppose it could be seen as a similarity to the leaderboard here, where streaks are included once they're completed (except in the case of quadruple-digit runs in the Maison). It does seem silly to make it a requirement to lose in order to get the rewards, but yes, it is that way.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Making all of us chumps who haven't even unlocked any Super formats look even lower...
Lemme guess, you drew Unfezant4 and a bunch of other scrubs to get the easy benchmark?

Ugh...just like the Maison. Well Brightpowder notwithstanding, Toxapex's Haze should shut down any Evasion shenanigans, but I am now worried about Pokemon having Focus Sashes to guarantee survival and hitting me with sleep and all that garbage. Hmm, I think I am gonna go with Sub on Salamence. Dragonite's Lum Berry set seems solid and all but I want to have a Pokemon that gets a potent and consistent speed tier while changing up the moves which M. Salamence fits. Since nothing is immune to Flying, I might forgo Earthquake for Substitute. And at that point I'd definitely go for a Jolly nature.

As for Tapu Lele, I'll probably drop Aromatherapy for Shadow Ball. And should I nix Focus Blast for Thunderbolt? The Fighting coverage is sexy, but I could see even a single Focus Miss costing me a run.
I ran literally the same team as you and got my 50 streak first go. I did Return/EQ/DD/Roost on Megamence and Psychic/Moonblast/TBolt/SB on Scarf Lele. Status was never an issue for me and I didn't want to bank on Focus Blast when RNG is such an issue in Battle Tree. Toxapex was the stock-standard set that you listed.

Toxapex was MVP by far, but I think that was mostly because I ran into a lot of ice stall teams which completely shut down Megamence (so many Stallreins and curse sets). As long as you don't leave Toxapex out against a super-effective Z-move, it will stall out pretty much anything bar 1HKO hax. Scarf Lele was a good switch-in against dragons, Rotom-F's and generally any special sweepers, although most of the time I just ran it to grab easy revenge kills.

Any team with Toxapex should do well in tree, as it is a great counter to any setup-based and evasion hax sets.

Just beat 50th battle in Super Doubles, this is the team I used. Pretty easy, I went in blind and didn't bother to look up any sets. My first attempt lost at the 41st battle due to a TR Oranguru and a Phantom Force Dhelmise. I didn't perceive the Oranguru as a threat when I really should have, and due to Trick Room/turn order shenanigans Dhelmise got two completely free turns with Phantom Force. Second attempt got to 50 pretty easy with only a couple close battles, and then I splattered Blue's team in four turns.

Oranguru @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 2 Spe
- Trick Room
- Protect
- Psychic
- Instruct

Oranguru has 2 speed IVs because I want it to move immediately after Primarina in Trick Room; it can also be 3, you end up with the same speed. 2 is the minimum number to be faster than Primarina since they have the same base speed, you can use more or put in a few EV's, but ideally their speed should as close as possible (it's not super important, but I don't want to lose a speed tie to stuff I could have undersped anyway.) I don't know if the EV spread is any good (I just got it from the doubles analysis, which is designed around doubles OU at level 100) but it hasn't been one-shot by anything and usually lives several attacks, so it's working fine enough.

Primarina @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Protect

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Exeggutor-Alola @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Trick Room

I lead with Primarina and Oranguru. Usually I only need these two. Generally,:
-if something threatens Primarina, I either Protect with Primarina, or switch to Marowak, and use Trick Room with Oranguru.
-if something threatens Oranguru, it's either a Dark type which I just melt with Moonblast, or a bug type which can be handled with Scald (or Moonblast if it's Golisopod.) In either case, I try to guess what it'll do and either Protect, or just go for TR anyway (it can live some rather strong attacks, STAB Megahorn is basically the only thing capable of one-shotting it without an item boost.)
-If opposing team looks super slow (happens a LOT, I'm mostly confident battle tree counter teams) I just Protect on Oranguru cause it has to wait for Prim to make a move to use Instruct, or I Psychic if something would take meaningful manage from it.

Primarina hits pretty hard with LO and one-shots most stuff, it also blows up dark types that threaten Oranguru. It usually sweeps teams by itself (well I mean Oranguru is just telling it to move twice,) but most teams are pretty bad. I forgot that Dazzling Gleam is a spread move but I think I'll stick with Moonblast anyway, more often than not I want one thing dead for sure than two mostly dead but still alive.

Marowak switches in on Elec/Grass/Poison attacks that threaten Primarina, and hits hard as balls. Bonemerang is nice for sash users.

Exeguttor is the backup TR setter, it lacks Protect which sucks but it doesn't come out much anyway. I don't like how both of my TR setters are bug weak but I needed one that resisted ground, is at least dark neutral, and hits hard, and Exeguttor does all of that. Z-Draco Meteor hits HARD, but is only a bit stronger than Maro's Flare Blitz. It's especially nice for evasion cheesers, as it never misses.

Oranguru is a really cool Trick Room setter. It's immune to Flinch which is super useful, a lot of games had a Fake Out user in them. Lum Berry is used over Mental Herb because Sleep/PAR/Confus/etc. is far more common than Taunt, I recall that appearing twice, whereas TR might not have gotten up several times if I was unlucky with PAR/Confus rolls, or asleep. Instruct is a super cool move and, after TR is set-up, basically the only thing it needs to use; teams just crumble when my hard hitters get to move twice.

All in all pretty cool and easy to use team. Has mostly 100% accurate moves which is nice, the only non-100% are bonemerang (used rarely) and non-Z Draco Meteor (used almost never.)

Has Trick Room

Stuff that underspeeds Exe and Maro:
Shuckle 1,2,3,4
Camerupt 1,2,3,4
Escavalier 1,2,3,4
Ferrothorn 1,2,3,4
Gigalith-4
Sableye-3
Avalugg 1,4
Aromatisse-4
Musharna-4
Conkeldurr 2,4 (with Iron Ball)
Dusknoir-2 (with Iron Ball)
Carbink-3 (with Iron Ball)
Golurk-4 (with Iron Ball)
Trevenant-4 (with Iron Ball)
Tyranitar-1 (with Iron Ball)

Stuff that ties with them:
Abomasnow-4
Amoonguss-3
Bastiodon-4
Cofagrigus 1,2,3
Gigalith 1,2,3
Reuinclus 2,3,4
Shinnotic 1,3,4
Slowbro-4
Slowking-4

Snorlax-2
Steelix-3
Wishiwashi 1,3,4
Passimian-2 (with Iron Ball)
Shiftry-1 (with Iron Ball)
Stuff that outspeeds Eve and Maro but underspeeds Prim and Orangu:
Bronzong 1,2,3,4
Avalugg 2,3
Aromatisse 1,2,3
Mudsdale 1,2,3,4
Musharna 1,2,3
Spiritomb 1,2,3,4
Toxapex 1,2,3,4
Amoonguss 1,2,4
Bastiodon 1,2,3
Cofagrigus 4
Reuniclus 1
Shiinotic 2
Slowbro 1,2,3
Slowking 1,2,3
Snorlax 1,3,4
Steelix 1,2,4
Turtonatar 1,2,3
Wishiwashi-2
Carracosta 1,2
Gastrodon-3
Dhelmise 1,4
Probopass-1
Rypherior 1,4
Vespiquen 1,2,4
Araquanid 1,2
Palossand 1,3,4
Crabominable-1
Cradily 2,3,4
Drampa 1,2,3
Vikavolt-1
Cresselia-4 (with Iron Ball)
Gourgeist-2 (with Iron Ball)
Stuff that ties with Prim:
Ampharos-4
Armaldo-1
Conkeldurr 2,4 (without Iron Ball)
Dusknoir 2,3,4 (2: without Iron Ball)
Exeguttor (Alolan)-2
Lurantis-2
Marowak (Alolan)-1
Marowak-1
Throh 2,4
Stuff that ties with Orangu:
Gastrodon 1,2,4

Other Trick Room users:
Audino-4
Jellicent-3
Oranguru-3

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Finally figured out how to watch Battle Videos, am starting to cut through everything posted here so far...I'm liking the progress being made so far, and it's warming me up to the idea of actually using some of these new 'mons!

Keep it up everyone, it makes for great 'TV'.

Finally figured out how to watch Battle Videos, am starting to cut through everything posted here so far...I'm liking the progress being made so far, and it's warming me up to the idea of actually using some of these new 'mons!

Keep it up everyone, it makes for great 'TV'.
I miss the Pokemon search feature from previous gens (not sure if it came back, assuming it did not) as I liked to insert the names of things people never used in the Maison, like Dewgong (DPP) and Walrein and watch various streaks come to tragic conclusions. DPP got props for having PI trainer class, so there was both OHKO spam as well as Metagross4, who some might remember had a QC as well as Zen Headbutt and pre-nerf Explosion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)