Resource SM OU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Shedinja is ranked for its stall viability, not for anything on offense. Wonder Guard gives it a niche stall build that can be surprisingly effective.
While this is true, it's again: Highly weak to hazards, which most teams have. While stall does have Defog, I find Shedinja very unreliable in the sense that once you lose your defogger or spinner, you can easily lose Shedinja. Wonder Guard and Focus Sash do not affect those things. To each their own I suppose.

Except it's in D rank which means it has a very small niche outside of very specific teams aka TR, so people shouldn't be seeing it as "great". It's fine in D rank.
Right but the whole idea is people don't read and just see it there and think it's "great," which is a problem. Yeah, it is good on Trick Room, I think it's fine in D rank too, I was just providing an example.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
While this is true, it's again: Highly weak to hazards, which most teams have. While stall does have Defog, I find Shedinja very unreliable in the sense that once you lose your defogger or spinner, you can easily lose Shedinja. Wonder Guard and Focus Sash do not affect those things. To each their own I suppose.

Right but the whole idea is people don't read and just see it there and think it's "great," which is a problem. Yeah, it is good on Trick Room, I think it's fine in D rank too, I was just providing an example.
Well then that's their fault for not reading lol. If they don't take the time to read the thread and understand that D rank is meant for mediocre Pokemon with very small niches in the metagame then that's their loss. The VR is pretty dummy proof so if people actually think Pokemon in D rank are "good" then yeah idk what to tell you.

I feel Mega-Metagross deserves S-rank at this point. There's literally no reason not to run this thing on offensive or balanced teams. It matches up so well against common threats like Lele, Magearna and Mega-Zam and using it basically gives you a tank, wallbreaker and fast offensive mon in 1 team-slot. With terrain support from Lele and/or Koko it can even get past mons that are supposed to be counters like Skarm, Slowbro, Hippowdon, Tangrowth etc.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell

Someone's going to have to explain Heatran's A+ status to me. While there's no doubt Heatran is still a useful Pokemon, it doesn't really have the anti-meta status that it used to enjoy, Genesect's death is obviously a hit to its viability. If we look through the upper ranks, pretty much everything that it ought to be able to deal with, like Tapu Bulu, Tapu Lele, Magearna, Mega Charizard and Celesteela commonly carry a move that can 2HKO it. While there still are Pokemon like Latios, Serperior Jirachi and Scizor that carry next to nothing for it, and it is very valuable to be able to force certain Pokemon into selecting an unreliable coverage move, rather than just spam their supercharged STAB, I'm not certain it deserves an A+ status, often it finds itself unable to be a defensive counter to much of anything, and struggles to make a huge impact on a match.

Also, I would to propose Mega Scizor's upgrading to A+ rank. This is simply because of how effective of a pivot it is, while simultaneously offering some mild revenge killing ability, and a lategame win condition. The role compression, team support and defensive utility it offers is utterly fantastic. It can deal with Tapu Lele a bit better than Heatran, considering that selecting HP Fire is even riskier than Focus Blast, and also it has recovery. It can set up on defensive Lando, it can counter Metagross, it can pressure Magearna by setting up, it counters Tapu Bulu, it's pretty much impossible to reliably take advantage of thanks to U-turn. And that u-turn is so valuable as support to various wallbreakers that can terrorize the tier. Scizor will gain switch advantage a few times a match, which is perfect for Hoopa, Lele, Kyurem Black and whatever else that is basically impossible to swich into, wreak havoc.

While this is true, it's again: Highly weak to hazards, which most teams have. While stall does have Defog, I find Shedinja very unreliable in the sense that once you lose your defogger or spinner, you can easily lose Shedinja. Wonder Guard and Focus Sash do not affect those things.

Shedinja stall has the best hazard control with mega sableye, and the also have a defogger on top of this. Shedinja has a good niche and C+ is fine, and unless you've used or at least faced shed stall you shouldn't be commenting on where it should be placed.

why do you find it necessary to immediately talk about the low ranks nobody cares about, the vr team clearly doesn't give much a shit about it since pure garbage like wishiwashi / crabominable / dhelmise etc are all there (not trying to call them out), why not focus on the actual important mons in the meta and not the super niche shit nobody uses
Simple question because above there is the answer:
MASSIVE UPDATE
All the lower rankings from B- to D rank have been added. Some of them are still a bit messy, but for the most part they should be decently accurate so feel free to comment on them if you want.

Raichu-Alolan in D rank is really a bad judgement in my opinion. This pokemon can work effectively in two Terrains and one weather (Electric Terrain for sure, but also in Psychic Terrain and in Rain). A-Raichu can also use a nice Nasty Plot set forcing out bulky Waters/Flyings thanks to its Electric STAB, thus having a really good niche and this seems enough to justify a spot in B-. This is one entire rank behind Tapu Koko, and I think it makes sense considering that the Tapu can work well even alone, but A-Raichu is like the Swift Swimmers/Chlorophyll/Sand Rush users.
This is not a small niche, but a huge one comparing to the other D rank pokemons.

Last edited:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Shedinja stall has the best hazard control with mega sableye, and the also have a defogger on top of this. Shedinja has a good niche and C+ is fine, and unless you've used or at least faced shed stall you shouldn't be commenting on where it should be placed.
I've both used and faced it, and I and my opponent have had the aforementioned issues. Though this was only post-Mega Sab ban in ORAS, so things might've changed with Mega Sableye being back. Yeah, you have Magic Bounce, but I'm very afraid of the hazards.

View attachment 76454 D -> Unranked: The main problem I have with this Pokemon is that, it's stats are very underwhelming. Yes it's versatile, but it's low Speed stat really hinders the Pokemon, and while it can run scarf, I'd like to run a non-choice item so I can use it's great versatility to my advantage. Now, I know Dugtrio runs both Band and Scarf, but that makes sense on that Pokemon thanks to it's trapping ability, best used by Scarf anyway. Band is used for damage, but it has the speed to run Band unlike Bruxish. Maybe if Bruxish was bulkier, I would be okay with using band, but it's bulk isn't enough in my opinion. There isn't much I can really say about this Pokemon, which is another reason why I think it shouldn't be ranked. It doesn't really stand out, and I don't understand why it was ranked in the first place. Oh yeah, and Mega Sharpedo outclasses too.

Megashark doesn't really outclass it; obviously using the mega slot when running mshark is important, but the more important difference is in their roles. Bruxish is more of a wall breaker, smashing bulky stuff with high powered attacks and helping out against offense with AJet. Megashark, however, is much more of a cleaner, which tries to sweep after its checks and counters are eliminated and the opposition mons have taken chip damage. In all honesty, Bruxish MShark would prolly be a solid waterspam duo, as bruxish could help break down shared checks like Ferrothorn to clear the way for MShark to sweep. I haven't used Bruxish much myself, but it should not be unranked due to being outclassed by megashark. Low stats are never a good thing but at the same time they do not automatically rule it out either.

View attachment 76455 D -> Unranked: This Pokemon is literally an inferior Amoonguss. It's defenses are borderline, but it's HP is very low. It's abilities are also terrible, unless you enjoy 30% chances of statusing the opponent, and even then you have 33% chance of getting the status you want. Also, Rain Dish can work on rain, but it's still a situational ability like the last one. Also, the Grass/Fairy Pokemon doesn't work for the defensive Pokemon it tries to be, being 4x weak to poison. With things like Scarf Gengar running around, this Pokemon can have some issues. It's not just weak to Poison though, being weak to Steel, Fire, and Flying as well. It also has only 4 resistances, which doesn't work for a defensive Pokemon. Amoonguss on the other hand, has 1 less weakness and 1 more resistance, further proving how Amoonguss outclasses it. While Strength Sap is a wild move, Shinotiic is just not a very good Pokemon in terms of stats to be defensive, which is why it should be unranked.

Shinotiic is honestly barely viable, although in my opinion Strength Sap is a good enough move to give it a niche for at least. Don't underestimate spore either. While amoonguss does have better HP, shinotiic does a better job of dealing with threats like Exca which can abuse amoonguss's poison typing. Being way to Gengar is literally the dumbest reason to unreal the something; it's no surprise that a physical wall is at a disadvantage against a special attacker with a type advantage. If you could comment on, say, the popularity of Z-Fly Lando-T which beats Shinotiic and lures it in, i would be more likely to consider this nomination. Remember, however, that amoonguss and tang lose too.
Try to compare the mons you want unranked to 1. mons with similar roles and 2. against common metagame opponents. Nobody leaves a shinotiic in on a gengar.

View attachment 76457 D -> Unranked: The only reasons I could see why this Pokemon would be D rank is that people like to be cancer and that Pyukumuku is like a fan favorite. All this Pokemon does is stall you out, and in a meta that aims to promote a balanced meta shouldn't condone this. It literally doesn't even have an attacking move. While I understand it stalls well, with great defenses, I don't believe that should make a Pokemon ranked. There isn't much I can say about this abomination, just please unrank it.

Contrary to your belief, Smogon does in fact approve of and appreciate stall. Being "cancerous" is not a good reason. While pyukumuku is obviously taunt bait, you do not explain how this is a problem. For instance, you could have mentioned how common taunters like the Tapus also threaten MSab, making pyukumuku a liability. However, it's great bulk and abilities give it a solid niche, even in this very offensive metagame.

View attachment 76458 C+ -> Unranked: I don't even know why we rank this at all. This Pokemon literally dies to any hazard, or any status. Yeah Focus Sash is a thing, but hazards and status go through that too. This Pokemon doesn't even do anything, other than having a bunch of immunities. Even then, that doesn't really make a difference when if your opponent has a spike up you instantly lose this. While this Pokemon can get supported by defoggers, what happens when the defogger is gone and the rocks are up? You lose this Pokemon. In the end, this Pokemon is only ranked because of Swords Dance with it's immunities, which is not enough to be ranked in a meta where hazards are very popular.

Shedinja is not used to baton pass SDs. It's a pivot on stall teams that can wall many threats such as standard Latis, bulky waters, and magearnas. While it is very niche, it can help stall tremendously against a variety of threats and is part of a unique if not always reliable playstale. Lum berry and safety goggles are also possibilities, letting shedinja deal with status and weather much better.
the post i'm quoting has got some clear problems with it and i quite frankly disagree with nearly everyone of the points. in order not to clog up this thread imma respond in the spoiler so take a peek inside if y'all care.

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Someone's going to have to explain Heatran's A+ status to me. While there's no doubt Heatran is still a useful Pokemon, it doesn't really have the anti-meta status that it used to enjoy, Genesect's death is obviously a hit to its viability. If we look through the upper ranks, pretty much everything that it ought to be able to deal with, like Tapu Bulu, Tapu Lele, Magearna, Mega Charizard and Celesteela commonly carry a move that can 2HKO it. While there still are Pokemon like Latios, Serperior Jirachi and Scizor that carry next to nothing for it, and it is very valuable to be able to force certain Pokemon into selecting an unreliable coverage move, rather than just spam their supercharged STAB, I'm not certain it deserves an A+ status, often it finds itself unable to be a defensive counter to much of anything, and struggles to make a huge impact on a match..
Heatran is mostly A+ because of its offensive Bloom Doom set. With Magma Storm it is able to trap a large portion of its switch-ins (bulky Waters and Grounds) and proceed to OHKO them with Bloom Doom. It's basically like its Power Herb set from last gen, but much stronger, and all of the previous mons it failed to OHKO with Solarbeam are OHKOed by Bloom Doom. This is amazing because stuff like Tapu Fini, Rotom-W, and CB Tyranitar (after a Magma) are no longer seen as reliable switch-ins to Heatran, and getting rid of stuff like Fini or Rotom-W for Ash Gren is incredible. So realistically, Heatran has very limited counterplay outside of forcing it out, because with the potential to run moves like Taunt for Chansey and other fat special walls, and Earth Power for other Heatran, there's very little that can reliably switch into it. Combined this with it being a solid user of SR and a great defensive typing, Heatran is definitely A+ in the current meta, and Gene leaving doesn't really effect it that much, especially when it wasn't really a reliable answer to all of its sets anyway.

mega metagross a+->s

mega meta is an absolute pain in the ass to prepare for and is super easy to fit on offensive teams, even for a mega evolution. it's extremely unpredictable, all you know it has for sure is meteor mash and maybe zen headbutt, outside of that theres no knowing what its running. its checks are entirely dependent on what set its running, lando t checks it if it doesnt have ice punch but gets bodied if it does for example. even the hardest counters to it, mega zor and alo, can get bopped by gk or hp fire, which even outside of those specific mons are good options as they also hit things like quag, ferro, skarm, etc. it also synergizes perfectly with many top mons. tapu lele in particular gives it a stupidly powerful zen headbutt and switchins to things like magearna, which mega meta forces out and lets it wreak havoc on the opposing team. its also really bulky for how fast it is, it can function as an emergency check to things like lele, lando-t, koko, phero, etc. and pull its user out of a rough situation. mega meta is one of, if not the best, mons in the meta and its rank should reflect that.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If I'm allowed to discuss B Rank mons at least (better than those discussing C / D rank lmao) I'd like to ask a serious question:

How is Mega Gyarados below Starmie!?!

First off, nevermind in most general cases both Greninja will out-style Starmie in its role of a special attacker. All it really has is Rapid Spin and recovery, which are great but it's not something that is desperately wanted in a team. Most are comfortable using Tapu Fini or Excadrill as their entry hazard removals. Though Starmie has Speed it really isn't as good as it used to be.

Gyarados is quite good in its capability of setting up and being a decent wincon. With Substitute and Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados can plow through teams that have Skarmory and Toxapex eliminated. It's also still capable of running moves like Taunt and a third coverage move just to dick people around. It definitely requires some support to be a good Pokemon, but it's a viable Mega choice. Its useful resistances and immunities help give it opportunities to switch in and set up too.

I realize this isn't the greatest post for it, but I'm basically proposing that Starmie drops. B- at minimum, C+ at worst potentially. Possibly lower. For a Pokemon that isn't deemed worthy of an analysis it baffles me this Pokemon still is within the B ranks.

Gary

What's Araquanid's status in the current metagame? I didn't find it in the VR list but it's also not blacklisted.
It doesn't really have a place in the meta. Its only niche is high powered physical Water STAB moves but that's done better by Crawdaunt and Azumarill, both of which also have a stronger dual STAB, priority, and both have set up options.

If anyone even thinks about mentioning AV

Last edited:
A+

Going to parrot mega Scizor for A+ it is one of the only full checks to mega Metagross and that by itself it pretty valuable. As was said before it's an amazing pivot that checks alot of scary things in the meta including tapu Lele, and pheromosa. It has some competition from magearna with its av volt switch set but where it sets itself apart is its ability to clean with SD. It has little trouble setting up as it is incredibly bulky with recovery.

View attachment 76458 C+ -> Unranked: I don't even know why we rank this at all. This Pokemon literally dies to any hazard, or any status. Yeah Focus Sash is a thing, but hazards and status go through that too. This Pokemon doesn't even do anything, other than having a bunch of immunities. Even then, that doesn't really make a difference when if your opponent has a spike up you instantly lose this. While this Pokemon can get supported by defoggers, what happens when the defogger is gone and the rocks are up? You lose this Pokemon. In the end, this Pokemon is only ranked because of Swords Dance with it's immunities, which is not enough to be ranked in a meta where hazards are very popular.
Shedinja's pretty popular in M-Sableye stall, and it's also happens to be inmune to a lot of offensive threats like Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Tapu Koko/Fini/Bulu (if it lacks Stone Edge), Metagross (If it doesn't have pursuit), Manaphy, etc. I do think it should be ranked lower, though, mostly for the huge support it requires.

What's Araquanid's status in the current metagame? I didn't find it in the VR list but it's also not blacklisted.
It's a discount Crawdaunt that requires even more support (compared to the lobster) to do it's job. If it was ranked it would end up barely in D rank.

Latios to A
Specs latios is one of the most fearsome wallbreakers on the tier, 2hkoing almost everything that tries to switch in;and can also check things like bloom doom tran,ferro,zard y, and toxapex. Ttar getting less usage also really helps it, meaning it isn't trapped and killed as often as it did last gen.

Simple question because above there is the answer:

Raichu-Alolan in D rank is really a bad judgement in my opinion. This pokemon can work effectively in two Terrains and one weather (Electric Terrain for sure, but also in Psychic Terrain and in Rain). A-Raichu can also use a nice Nasty Plot set forcing out bulky Waters/Flyings thanks to its Electric STAB, thus having a really good niche and this seems enough to justify a spot in B+. This is one entire rank behind Tapu Koko, and I think it makes sense considering that the Tapu can work well even alone, but A-Raichu is like the Swift Swimmers/Chlorophyll/Sand Rush users.
This is not a small niche, but a huge one comparing to the other D rank pokemons.
This whole argument is heavily flawed, the jump from D to B+ is silly. Specially when you look at the B+ lineup. Keldeo, kyurem, volcarona, Zapdos, clefable, bisharp ect. They all have a niche that isn't completely overshadowed by an above Pokemon, or at the very least are threatening offensively or defensively. Raichu is quite literally a half as effective tapu koko.

It's main niche would be surge surfer but terrain is even more fickle than weather is, it's not reliable at all. It still has a very nice speed outside of terrain but it has a below average special attack. It also has nasty plot but is hard pressed to break through its usual checks like ferrothorn, tangrowth, magearna, or driller.

Unless a team has no tapus, no electric checks and no speed control Raichu will not do much.

Really think Scizor should be bumped up to A+. Been using it a ton it's really a fantastic pivot and gives offense a check for Lele (assuming it doesn't hp fire which can be risky), and Mega Metagross and we all know how hard it is for offense to check those monsters.

This along with its potential clean late game with bp make it so valuable. The AV Magearna with Volt Switch is great too but it doesn't have recovery like Scizor does.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would also like to vouch A+ for Mega Scizor. Even though Tapu Lele kind of craps on Bullet Punch it is one of the best pivots in the game and can still clean house with Swords Dance. Also can fuck through Heatran that think they can switch in freely with Superpower or go all ham with offensive Swords Dance. Though not seen often Pursuit Mega Scizor is still really good too since it craps on its usual Pokemon (albeit some are rarer at the moment).

Mega Scizor to A+:
It's what it's been since ORAS (after Aegi left the tier) - be an amazing pivot that can also clean late game with Swords Dance and revenge kill with Bullet Punch. Mega Scizor also checks Tapu Lele (bar HP Fire but lele is disgusting filth with 2 easy to wear down counters so w/e), HP Fireless Greninjas, and Tapu Bulu, who can only 2hko with banded Superpower, to name a few. With Genesect gone, it's lost it's main competition as bug/steel U-Turning pivot, not to mention it counters the most common mega in the tier in Mega Metagross, which is pretty great considering MMeta poses issues for balance and some bulky offense teams. It's just a stellar mega overall and an amazing pivot, as everyone else has said.

This whole argument is heavily flawed, the jump from D to B+ is silly. Specially when you look at the B+ lineup. Keldeo, kyurem, volcarona, Zapdos, clefable, bisharp ect. They all have a niche that isn't completely overshadowed by an above Pokemon, or at the very least are threatening offensively or defensively. Raichu is quite literally a half as effective tapu koko.
Sorry, my fault; i meant B-. It is a subrank lower than Pelipper+Kindra and one entire rank under Tapu Koko.
It's main niche would be surge surfer but terrain is even more fickle than weather is, it's not reliable at all. It still has a very nice speed outside of terrain but it has a below average special attack. It also has nasty plot but is hard pressed to break through its usual checks like ferrothorn, tangrowth, magearna, or driller.
Unless a team has no tapus, no electric checks and no speed control Raichu will not do much.
Disagree. Thunderbolt or Thunder+Focus Blast+Psychic+Surf is a basic moveset (Grass Knot is also an option) with good coverage in OU despite the lack of Ice moves (bar HP Ice).
You can use Rain to boost one or two moves; Electric Terrain to outspeed the majority of the metagame even with a Modest nature and a random Psychic Terrain is also useful to deal properly towards Poison types not weak to Electric i.e. Mega Venusaur.
You can use this pokemon in three scenarios (not one!, thus making A-Raichu anti meta manhandling opposing rain while also really shining on it's own rain builds) and outspeeding everything under Electric Terrain is not that niche to warrant only a D rank. This is a good addition to Tapu Koko+Rain teams.

Ema Skye

Work!
Seconding no raise for Raichu-Alola. It's not getting an analysis so I feel like exceptional replays are necessary for such a large jump.

It's so weak without Electric Terrain, and in a meta that revolves around the Tapus, it makes Raichu wildly inconsistent. I dislike the comparison to Kingdra and other Swift Swimmers because weather is not comparable to terrains in this meta. Every terrain user is highly viable, but not every weather user is viable. Swift Swimmers only have to worry about Tyranitar and the niche Ninetales-Alola that can end their sweep. Raichu fears Lele, Bulu and even Fini, as even though Fini can switch in, it removes the terrain which makes Raichu literally useless. Compare the usage of weather setters vs. terrain setters and you'll see what I mean.

Will also support a boost for Scizor and Metagross.

I see your reasoning, I still think it should be unranked but I think D rank sounds nice with what you've said. Yes, it burns off Z-power, but attacking z moves aren't that common. And yeah you are right, SD Baton Pass doesn't exist, thanks for that. Also, I'm not sure about Endure Shedinja...
I say endure shedinja because of z moves bypassing protect, and if you no longer have an appropriate scout move you do not have a niche. While it does leave it vulnerable to status and knock off, I can safely say this set can thrive along the aid of fini. I do believe it should drop ranks, but I do not believe it should be outright ignored with the rest of the D ranks because it really does have an impact on teambuilding when it comes to choosing z moves.

B+ --> A-

This thing is extremely anti meta right now. It can wipe out a huge number of teams after a boost or two. Chansey is basically the only full stop to this thing when it gets going and it has plenty of opportunities to set up with all the u-turns, fairies and steels running around. Would be counters like Heatran, Alowan Marowak, and Nihilego get eaten by surpise HP ground. Non haze Toxapex gets setup on and muscled through after enough boosts. Such a potent anti meta mon deserves to be higher than B+

Rotom A ---> -A/B+

This thing is in a much worse place than it was in X and Y.

Burn damage nerf and tapu fini being everywhere diminishes it burn spreading ability. plus 50/107/107 defenses with no recovery doesn't cut it with so many powerful neutral and even resisted hits flying around that just wear it down.

Metagross (Mega)

A+ ----> S

Not much to say other than whats been said already. This thing is the most busted thing currently in the tier and won't be surprised to see this suspected.

Sorry, but A-Raichu is getting an analysis (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/alolan-raichu-electric-qc-0-3-gp-0-1.3590793/).

Am I allowed to ask why Primarina is listed as C- whereas a similar pokemon like Sylveon isn't even listed?
That's mono type.

Sylveon's only decent set in oras was specs, which wasn't even that great and got hit by the pixilate nerf. Primarina is just better as a specs fairy type due to the secondary typing.

Edit:

And just so not literally every one of my posts are about c/d stuff:

I really don't think Latios is a A- poke right now. It has a lot of trouble with this extremely steel and fairy heavy meta going on, and I really just don't see it being as effective as things like mega pinsir, jirachi or torn-t who are also in A-. It also has a lot of competition from Tapu Fini as a defogger, who really has a much easier time fitting on teams. I think a drop to B+ is suitable

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)