(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Maybe more suited for the Unpopular Opinions thread, but Truant is fine for Slaking imo. It still dominates in-game as long as you know how to play around the ability (or if you play with the Shift option on, it's flat-out trivial). The ability presents more of an issue for battle facilities and link battles, but it can still be usable as a Choice user at least. Or better yet, take it to the Battle Hall in Gen IV where it's right at home.

Really, the most annoying thing about Truant is the fact that Slakoth has it. Unlike Slaking, there's no real reason for Slakoth to have it, and it makes leveling it up early-game a huge hassle for a Pokemon that supposedly can fight on its own (unlike Magikarp). It makes the payout seem less worth it when you can just train a Magikarp and evolve it into a powerhouse that doesn't carry any handicaps.

Unlike Slaking, there's no real reason for Slakoth to have it.
Yes there is.

"Slakoth’s heart beats just once a minute. Whatever happens, it is content to loaf around motionless. It is rare to see this Pokémon in motion."

Both Slakoth and Slacking are lazy fucks, so that's why. Truant is meant to add flavor to the pokemon. Balacing is hardly the point of it when GF has never had any problems with making broken stuff.

Gen 3 is, after all, well known for its garbage jokemons.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And let's not forget Archeops who for no reason has a horrible Ability in Defeatist. Yeah, it's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed are high but the draw back is low defenses. Yet they still gave it Defeatist which makes it pretty much unusable!

I say Truant, Slow Start, and Defeatist need something added to them to make up for how badly they hinder their user. Nothing too drastic, just something that makes Truant less annoying every other turn, able to wait and worth it for Slow Start to wear off, and something to balance out Defeatist lowering stats at half HP.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Yes there is.

"Slakoth’s heart beats just once a minute. Whatever happens, it is content to loaf around motionless. It is rare to see this Pokémon in motion."

Both Slakoth and Slacking are lazy fucks, so that's why. Truant is meant to add flavor to the pokemon. Balacing is hardly the point of it when GF has never had any problems with making broken stuff.

Gen 3 is, after all, well known for its garbage jokemons.
Yeah I guess. Still doesn't make it any less annoying to level up early-game though. /shrug

On a slightly related note, I wish Game Freak would make up their minds on how Feebas is supposed to evolve. One game it's max the Beauty contest stat, next game it's a trade evolution, then we go back to the contest stats, then back to the trade evolution again; If we do get DPPt remakes in the future, then we'll once again be back to the contest stats.

And let's not forget Archeops who for no reason has a horrible Ability in Defeatist. Yeah, it's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed are high but the draw back is low defenses. Yet they still gave it Defeatist which makes it pretty much unusable!

I say Truant, Slow Start, and Defeatist need something added to them to make up for how badly they hinder their user. Nothing too drastic, just something that makes Truant less annoying every other turn, able to wait and worth it for Slow Start to wear off, and something to balance out Defeatist lowering stats at half HP.
Defeatist isn't too bad in-game either, where Potions are plentiful and Archeops nukes everything anyway. It stings far worse than Truant in competitive matches/in-game facilities, and in general the handicap doesn't seem quite as fair as Slaking and Truant, but at least Archeops can still nuke stuff before its HP drops.

Slow Start is the ability that really needs to be edited. Truant and Defeatist are hindering to Slaking and Archeops respectively, but Slow Start flat-out cripples Regigigas beyond repair.

I don't really think Defeatist needs to be changed as an ability, but that Archeops needs another, far better ability as a 2nd option. Unlike Slaking, I never really understood why it was a candidate for a handicap ability in the first place, at least beyond a standard in-game playthrough.

Last edited:

Nothing can ever make Slow Start worth waiting to wear off because phazing moves exist. Roar, Whirlwind, Dragon Tail, and Circle Throw (I checked this time) will all force it out and cause it to have to endure Slow Start again.

I suppose a subtle change for Slow Start that could work is making it a once per battle deal. Once the Continent Pokemon has had time to have its extra large cup of Tapu Cocoa and get its act together, if it switches for any reason it can come back in without having to wait another 5 turns. (basically, the counter isn't reset if it leaves the field)

Then again, I'm sure not everyone agrees it even should be changed...

I do agree to some extent of Defeatist being pointless, but... saying it makes Archeops unusable? ... you never used it in BW, did you?

Archeops still breaks the game even with Defeatist lol.

Wishiwashi is the best example of a hindering Ability turned right.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I do agree to some extent of Defeatist being pointless, but... saying it makes Archeops unusable? ... you never used it in BW, did you?
No, and I always heard people only complain about Defeatist. I'm sure Acheops does perfectly fine in the main game, which Pokemon doesn't? Slaking does fine in the main game, a popular Youtuber (Chuggaaconroy) used one in their Emerald run and it worked pretty well (also let's not forget how well it works as a boss Pokemon).

Okay here's another idea: since Defeatist isn't so bad, maybe they can make them into Hidden Abilities for Slaking and Regigigas?

No, and I always heard people only complain about Defeatist. I'm sure Acheops does perfectly fine in the main game, which Pokemon doesn't? Slaking does fine in the main game, a popular Youtuber (Chuggaaconroy) used one in their Emerald run and it worked pretty well (also let's not forget how well it works as a boss Pokemon).

Okay here's another idea: since Defeatist isn't so bad, maybe they can make them into Hidden Abilities for Slaking and Regigigas?
Doesn't fit them. Regigigas is a golem; its problem is that it's been inactive for so long and needs a REALLY strong cup of Tapu Cocoa it's slow to get back to its full power. Slaking is powerful, yet extremely lazy. It can't really be bothered to even stand, but it's not really worried about failing.

Thing is; Archeops isn't just 'perfectly fine' in the main game. It isn't just on the level of any other Pokémon being alright because you can make anything work if you really try. Archeops is a straight-up complete and utter beast that destroys the game. There's arguments it's the best Pokémon in BW and I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it's half the reason my White Nuzlocke succeeded. I've used it in a ton of plays and it's never, ever let me down. Slaking can't even dream of being on that level.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Thing is; Archeops isn't just 'perfectly fine' in the main game. It isn't just on the level of any other Pokémon being alright because you can make anything work if you really try. Archeops is a straight-up complete and utter beast that destroys the game. There's arguments it's the best Pokémon in BW and I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it's half the reason my White Nuzlocke succeeded. I've used it in a ton of plays and it's never, ever let me down. Slaking can't even dream of being on that level.
Huh, I guess if I ever replay a game its in or its in a future game I'll give it a try. I always figured with it you'd get one or two good hits in but then its HP will be knocked down to half and you'll start having to heal it every other turn or switching it out for something else.

Huh, I guess if I ever replay a game its in or its in a future game I'll give it a try. I always figured with it you'd get one or two good hits in but then its HP will be knocked down to half and you'll start having to heal it every other turn or switching it out for something else.
Moon has it. Not sure whether it will do well there since it seems that every other random stuff gets Sucker Punch but it's an option.

Archeops' ability is like non-existent in-game. Especially in BW and BW2 where you can abuse even Flying Gem and slidly after mid game Acrobatics. You won't get to less then above half health most at the time. And if you are one of those people who uses potions, then gg.

Regigigas, on the other hand, seems terrible in anywhere. Its movepool is hallow, in-game you are beating teams usually within 5 turns unless you are using Regigigas and competitively, in very rare cases a Pokemon stays in more than 4 turns.

In-game, you're right. Archeops is a beast since you can potion it up back to full if it drops below half, and acrobatics works well. Slow start is really bad, especially for a pokemon that relies on its attack and speed such as Regigigas (If it had 160/70/150/70/150/50 stats slow start wouldn't matter so much). Would a better change for regigigas be altering its stat distribution so slow start doesn't hurt so much (like above) or making slow start cut speed in half only?
Kyurem-Black is a Gamefreak success on balancing pokemon with high stats. Great stats (especially attack) but horrible movepool (no good physical ice stab). Perhaps gamefreak should have made Slaking/Regigigas have no way to hit ghosts but have a non-hindering ability. (Alternatively Entrainment Slaking, saves the effort of having to farm for truant durants).

I get what you're trying to say, but if it's a balancing 'success' it shouldn't both have a BST of 700 and be so bad it's OU material and not even top-tier there. It's the result of going to different extremes (extremely good stats, extremely bad movepool) which does not immediately equal balance.

Plus, Kyu-B is extremely good in BW2 OU and might have been suspected if the tier didn't end early.
Well, Kyurem-B is accidentally balanced (shares almost all its learnset with regular Kyurem, who has no reason to learn physical Ice-type moves). It doesn't really count.

I can 'sort' of understand Game Freak's point on giving Regigigas an ability like Slow Start in that it's supposed to have awoken just recently. But they went overboard with both the 5-turn timer and the lack of typical stalling moves. This could be somewhat solved in three ways:
- Reduce Slow Start's timer.
- Give Regigigas Protect and Rest.
- Have Slow Start's timer not reset on switch-out (why does it reset in the first place?)

With Eevee becoming an early-mid game Pokemon more often, I am wondering why Game Freak still creates a place where Eevee can evolve into Glazion close to late game where you probably already evolved your Eevee into one of the other evolutions?
I mean I guess Ice Typing is maybe a very powerful type for early game. But mid-game? It is not even a really an impressive ice type, it is just bland like most ice types.

I'm going to say, less than Truant in and of itself, what annoys me about the Slakoth line is Vigoroth. It just breaks the theme to go from lazy to Can't-Sleep-if-it-Tried to lazy again. I accept Slaking's design concept even if I don't like using it, but Vigoroth as the middle stage irritates me.

Also, Regigigas has no reason to be crippled so badly by Slow Start. I get what the idea is supposed to be, but it's going overboard, especially since unlike Slaking, Regigigas is a Legendary and thus can justify having that BST relatively unhindered. It wouldn't be so bad if Regigigas had something to do for the turns it was slowed down like Recovery or basic Protect access, or maybe some kind of trade off like giving it increased defenses while it's Slow. For that matter, Slow Start would be slightly more workable if it was literal and only impacted his speed, not his Attack for Wallbreaking. Basically play Regigigas as a bulky battering ram that rewards you for keeping him alive long enough (still shorten it from 5 turns though).

Duration though is where the change seems like it should be the most obvious. In most other depictions I see of Regigigas, Slow Start basically gives the opponent the first strike and then he's up to speed. 5 turns is a bone-headed duration since even Nintendo's own sanctioned VGC format, no battle is going to have a Pokemon last THAT long in the type of role Regigigas is built for, if at all.

You go through all this work to get Regigigas, having to catch the Regis either in-game in Platinum or in RSE to import, plus the usual "Catch Rate 3 Legendary" ordeal, and you're rewarded with a mon that's less competitively viable than the already underwhelming Legendaries it's supposed to command. That doesn't feel like a reward, it feels like rolling the joke prize on a F2P game.

I've tried putting a lot of thought into adjusting most Pokémon to where they're viable in either in-game or competitively while keeping their gimmicks. Slow Start being 5 turns is really dumb. 3 turns still gets the point across and could maybe convince someone to use him somewhere. Slaking I had trouble with while keeping Truant. The only thing I came up with was giving him U-turn so he could act as a pivot. Archeops I think is fine as is.

If ever you feel that your life is in need of more frustration and you have six hours to waste, then I can recommend no further than trying to legitimately catch a HA Sharpedo in Sun/Moon.

Last edited:
After my experience yesterday, I'm a bit annoyed that Festival Plaza won't level up appropriately on its own, and requires gathering more FC to acknowledge it already has enough to advance to the next level. Just talking to people isn't enough; they have to give you FC for the plaza to recognize you've enough to level up.

It's only a little thing as this will only really happen after receiving the FC reward for a successful Global Mission, but still.

After my experience yesterday, I'm a bit annoyed that Festival Plaza won't level up appropriately on its own, and requires gathering more FC to acknowledge it already has enough to advance to the next level. Just talking to people isn't enough; they have to give you FC for the plaza to recognize you've enough to level up.

It's only a little thing as this will only really happen after receiving the FC reward for a successful Global Mission, but still.
I don't exactly mind that much - what is truly annoying is that, if you level up, don't go and get your reward, and level up again, you lose the reward you didn't claim.

(e.g. I once forgot to look for which building Sophocles was going to offer me when I leveled up again. Went to the castle and Sophocles only offered one building -and only gave me one item for refusing- instead of two)

Last edited:
If ever you feel that your life is in need of more frustration and you have six hours to waste, then I can recommend no further than trying to legitimately catch a HA Sharpedo in Sun/Moon.
Thankfully with Bank open, this doesn't remain an issue - chaining Sharpedo in ORAS for instance would be much easier, even without the many people around the globe you could ask to get a HA Sharpedo from.

No Reset Bags that allow me to see the exact EVs of an already trained Pokémon in Generation VII.
Between that, the removal of the PSS and all the forced story bs that kills any replay value, Sun and Moon just went too many steps back for my taste.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)