(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

This is not something specificly with the games but what I hate about Alola games is, since there is hypertraining, I reset ivs on Timid, Modest, Bold or Calm Legendaries with no 31 ivs on the Atk stat and for a certain Hidden Power that I could use for it.
I feel like no matter how much Game Freak tries to fix the accessable ivs for Pokemon you have access to a limited amount of times in a game, I will always find something flaved about it.

This is not something specificly with the games but what I hate about Alola games is, since there is hypertraining, I reset ivs on Timid, Modest, Bold or Calm Legendaries with no 31 ivs on the Atk stat and for a certain Hidden Power that I could use for it.
I feel like no matter how much Game Freak tries to fix the accessable ivs for Pokemon you have access to a limited amount of times in a game, I will always find something flaved about it.
At least they did something for once. From having to both roll the correct Hidden Power and all correct IVs to just having to roll the correct Hidden Power and only a few IVs you don't want to Bottle Cap to 31 - as you can just Bottle Cap the other ones.

Something that could influence wild Pokemon's Hidden Power types could work wonders (and perhaps fix Synchronize so that wild Pokemon always have the Synchronizer's nature instead of just half the time. It's so annoying when you get the Hidden Power right but, alas, it's got the wrong nature -_-)

Last edited:
Something that could influence wild Pokemon's Hidden Power types could work wonders (and perhaps fix Synchronize so that wild Pokemon always have the Synchronizer's nature instead of just half the time. It's so annoying when you get the Hidden Power right but, alas, it's got the wrong nature -_-)
This. Oh god this. It took a bit for me to get the Timid HP Ice Tapu Koko, and forever for Timid HP Fire Tapu Lele for Battle Tree/BSS. Like, seriously, the chance that Tapu Lele gets HP Fire period is a measly 1.25%. Thank god for Bottle Caps though...

This. Oh god this. It took a bit for me to get the Timid HP Ice Tapu Koko, and forever for Timid HP Fire Tapu Lele for Battle Tree/BSS. Like, seriously, the chance that Tapu Lele gets HP Fire period is a measly 1.25%. Thank god for Bottle Caps though...
I was lucky with Tapu Koko and that I pulled one out in just an hour or so but it literally took me like a solid week to pull a Modest HP Fire Tapu Lele.

I was lucky with Tapu Koko and that I pulled one out in just an hour or so but it literally took me like a solid week to pull a Modest HP Fire Tapu Lele.
You imagine what it would be like if the Tapus weren't shiny locked (and not from an event, like the Shiny Tapu Koko)? Seriously, legit Shiny HP Fire Tapu Lele would be rarer than hen's teeth. The trade forums would be placing them on high priority in their wanted lists.

The fact that unless you've beaten the game, have the necessary items (or can get them quickly enough), and the means to raise Pokémon in the necessary time, there is zero point in entering the April competition.

I haven't completed Sun, and am not in a position to beat the game anytime soon, so bred by Pokémon in Alpha Sapphire, since I was able to use Pokémon brought over from there in the last competition. So when I found out that you can only use Pokémon you've raised in Sun, I was absolutely outraged. I mean, hello! Not everyone has beaten the game! They can't spend hours upon hours doing so!

All that time breeding and raising a team was a waste, and even then, it would have been a challenge, due to not having access to the Beasts and Tapus. But this is the last straw. Unless someone is willing to breed and raise my entire team (I can't even do the latter), there is zero point in entering, because what I caught in Sun is shit compared to what I'd have to got up against.

The Mega Stones had better be released again at a later time, or I will give Nintendo of America a piece of my mind. What's the point of entering a competition if you can't even hope to win a single fucking battle?

The Mega Stones had better be released again at a later time, or I will give Nintendo of America a piece of my mind. What's the point of entering a competition if you can't even hope to win a single fucking battle?
They will be released, and you can enter the competition with *anything* from Gen VII and just lose three battles.

As long as we're talking about online competitions; why is the timeout for the PGL login half an hour? It's just really annoying.

As long as we're talking about online competitions; why is the timeout for the PGL login half an hour? It's just really annoying.
On the topic of PGL, what I find annoying (or rather, foolish on my part if it's actually possible) is that I can't find any option to change languages.

Say, I can't share a screenshot of teams I use on tournaments here because (understandably) not many are used to the move names in spanish.

They will be released, and you can enter the competition with *anything* from Gen VII and just lose three battles.
I know, but I want to actually battle! And what's worse: I've managed to throw together this rather decent Trick Room team in Showdown. Problem is: I can't use it!

Guess I can just swallow my pride, enter, and forfeit three times. I bet my opponents will appreciate the free ladder points! :(

The fact that unless you've beaten the game, have the necessary items (or can get them quickly enough), and the means to raise Pokémon in the necessary time, there is zero point in entering the April competition.

I haven't completed Sun, and am not in a position to beat the game anytime soon, so bred by Pokémon in Alpha Sapphire, since I was able to use Pokémon brought over from there in the last competition. So when I found out that you can only use Pokémon you've raised in Sun, I was absolutely outraged. I mean, hello! Not everyone has beaten the game! They can't spend hours upon hours doing so!

All that time breeding and raising a team was a waste, and even then, it would have been a challenge, due to not having access to the Beasts and Tapus. But this is the last straw. Unless someone is willing to breed and raise my entire team (I can't even do the latter), there is zero point in entering, because what I caught in Sun is shit compared to what I'd have to got up against.

They've already stated that all the Mega Stones from each competition will be released about two months after their distribution to the competition participants as a shared serial code. The next shared distribution is for Pideotite and Steelixite in May, then Sceptilite, Blazikenite, and Swampertite in June. If you really can't wait that long, you could go poke Max. Optimizer for the stones shortly after they're released.

They've already stated that all the Mega Stones from each competition will be released about two months after their distribution to the competition participants as a shared serial code. The next shared distribution is for Pideotite and Steelixite in May, then Sceptilite, Blazikenite, and Swampertite in June. If you really can't wait that long, you could go poke Max. Optimizer for the stones shortly after they're released.
Nah, I guess I could wait now that I know how long it will be (I already have Steelixite thanks to a kind fellow player). Funny how I entered the comp yesterday.

I just replayed the beginning of sun and moon. A lot of people in this thread have complained that there are so many unskippable cutscenes, but I don´t really think that´s the case. There really only are three or four very long cutscenes, but they are broken up. For example, just before the trainer school, there´s some insignificant cutscene with Lillie talking about how a pokemon center works and that you should go to the trainer school to train up. After the cutscene you walk literally two steps into the trainer school area, and there is another cutscene with Lillie, Hau and Kukui.

Then when you beat that bitch with the magnemite the teacher and leave the trainer school, there is a cutscene with Hala and a Tauros. Three steps further and you´re on the Hau´oli beachfront, where there is another cutscene with Hau. Another three steps further there is yet another cutscene with Lillie in front of the clothing shop. Here in Hau´oli the game pulls a triple combo where both Hau and some random guy explaining the pokecamera thingy works appear one after the other right after the cutscene with Lillie.

I can kind of understand why the developers broke up the cutscenes like this, because it allows the player to do something else in between the ´story´. However, because there isn´t much to do anyway this early in the game, it feels pointless. It´s way more annoying to be treated to a cutscene when you just had one, no matter how long the cutscenes were. There´s no reason why some of the cutscenes couldn´t have been glued together, spread out over over the course of the game better, or cut completely (most of it is pretty pointless anyway). Or just give us a skip button.... but hey, that will never happen.

There is also a small little fact about the Sun and Moon that bothers me way more than it should. The fact that Hau and the player are supposed to be eleven years old. I honestly was more shocked by this than by Lusamine being over forty, I though that the player was at least sixteen or something. I guess this is also the case in most older gens, but there you have to judge the main characters' age from a sprite. The characters in Sun and Moon also meets much more dangerous/agressie pokemon than in the older gens, so it's even more unbelievable...

Some things that have bothered me:

Removal of type power boosting gems is stupid The presence of Z-moves sort of mitigates their removal, but the gems themselves should still be in the game, especially since they provide a noticeably weaker boost to power than Z-moves.

Buffs to Knock off The Base power buff is fine, but I feel that the 1.5 boost in power when Knocking off an item really is too much, especially since the penalties of losing an item already are so huge.

Imbalances in the game between physical and special attackers Physical attackers in Pokemon suffer from noticable restrictions that special attackers barely have to worry about. Most physical attacks are noticably weaker then their special couterparts and usually when they are strong, they suffer from major penalties such as Stat drops and recoil, wheras the only penalties most special attackers suffer from is imperfect accuracy. Additionally, Physical attackers are almost completely crippled by Burn and Intimidate, moves that special attackers almost never have to worry about.

The way the games tells you its limiting progression I'm fine with pokemon games limiting progression with natural barriers like rocks and trees and with NPCs that need help with something / are researching something, but when the game limits progression with Dancing men or by literally telling you that a gym badge is needed to go, thats where I draw the line.

Stealth Rock damage penalties Dealing a set 12.5% against Pokemon with a neutrality to Rock moves is reasonable, but dealing 25% damage to Pokemon 2x weak to Rock moves and up to 50% against Pokemon 4x weak to Rock moves is ridiculous. I feel the progression of damage should be altered to match Spikes better, with Pokemon 2x weak to Rock moves losing 1/6 of their health and Pokemon 4x weak to rock losing 1/4 of their health.

Imbalances in the game between physical and special attackers Physical attackers in Pokemon suffer from noticable restrictions that special attackers barely have to worry about. Most physical attacks are noticably weaker then their special couterparts and usually when they are strong, they suffer from major penalties such as Stat drops and recoil, wheras the only penalties most special attackers suffer from is imperfect accuracy. Additionally, Physical attackers are almost completely crippled by Burn and Intimidate, moves that special attackers almost never have to worry about.
This might delve into wishlist a bit but I've always thought that Poison could half SpA as a counterpart to burn halving ATK, it'd also make Poison more useful as regular Poison is pretty much useless in both in game and competitive.

Some things that have bothered me:

The way the games tells you its limiting progression I'm fine with pokemon games limiting progression with natural barriers like rocks and trees and with NPCs that need help with something / are researching something, but when the game limits progression with Dancing men or by literally telling you that a gym badge is needed to go, thats where I draw the line.
This. That one guy on his stoutland near Burnets research lab blocking the entire road is the absolute worst excuse for a roadblock in any videogame ever. It reaches self-parody on gamefreaks part for how ridiculously stupid it is.

do what they did in the old days and make them HM gates, i know that's not fun but it's better for making the world seem like a world and not like a progression of people who move out of your way

Reactions: MZ
do what they did in the old days and make them HM gates, i know that's not fun but it's better for making the world seem like a world and not like a progression of people who move out of your way
This has always been categorically worse than any of the other stuff, no matter how ridiculous the particular example. It doesn't even maintain the pretense that the roadblock isn't just a function of the game, rather than a genuine feature of the world. The most respectable ones involve cases where in-game people are essentially in on aspects of the "game," like a character with authority checking your badges to keep you from going somewhere unsafe or the Island Challenge blockades, but this obviously only works in situations where it makes sense.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This is probably a minor peeve, but I hate that most of the Legendaries/fixed encounter mons are Shiny Locked, especially since we've hit the generation that makes it possible to turn "trash" shinies into viable mons with Hyper Training (which I haven't done and have heard is tedious, but nonetheless is possible). It feels incredibly pointless to have this "trophy" quality that can apply to every Pokemon except the ones people would want to use/boast about the most. It feels like a cheap way to make events like the Shiny Tapu Koko seem more special, but I think the novelty to them should be in the rarity rather than impossibility of obtaining them in normal gameplay.
Annoying but I think understandable. Since a Pokemon being Shiny isn't decided until the moment you battle the Pokemon, if a story important Legendary/fixed encounter is used in a cutscene or has their sprite/model part of a plot-related event they can't swap a normal one out for the Shiny version. For story flow it's just easier to shiny-lock. However any additional Legendary shouldn't be Shiny Locked, like Tapu Koko is shiny locked as we see it but the other Tapu shouldn't be since they have no appearance or that much of a role in the story.

EDIT: Okay, so apparently all Gen VII "Legendaries" are shiny locked. That's Tauros mulch. The only ones that should be Shiny Locked are Tapu Koko & Lillie's Solgaleo/Lunala. All the others have no reason to be Shiny locked. Not even Nihilego as we know there's more than one of them so why are it and the other Ultra Beasts locked? And the Type: Null we get isn't the one Gladion uses (especially since his evolved to Silvally), so it shouldn't be locked either.

Think we discussed this somewhere else but I'll post my thoughts here too.

You can say that about any of the competitions. I hate to be "that guy", but the games have been out for a few months now. It's not their fault you haven't finished the game and had time to raise a competitive team. There's plenty of people who have and, if anything, these competitions are one of the only things keeping them coming back to the game as they have nothing else left to do in it. It's not fair to them to not do these competitions just in case someone hasn't completed the game, because if they did that then no competitions will ever be held since there's always a new player who may want to compete but don't feel they're ready as they haven't finished the game.

Also I enter online competition with my main story team (and later with just Tapu and Ultra Beasts I caught) without competitive training them and surprisingly did well. I think some players I beat had competitive teams and I was just able to overpower them, essentially the Pokemon version of button mashing.

There is also a small little fact about the Sun and Moon that bothers me way more than it should. The fact that Hau and the player are supposed to be eleven years old. I honestly was more shocked by this than by Lusamine being over forty, I though that the player was at least sixteen or something. I guess this is also the case in most older gens, but there you have to judge the main characters' age from a sprite. The characters in Sun and Moon also meets much more dangerous/agressie pokemon than in the older gens, so it's even more unbelievable...
It's not the player's/Hau's age which bothers me, but Guzma. Guzma looks like a young adult, but I think its applies he's only a few year's older than the player & Hau; and older teen. And if that's the case, how old is Plumeria? I took her to be the older teen so is she the same age as Guzma?

Removal of type power boosting gems is stupid The presence of Z-moves sort of mitigates their removal, but the gems themselves should still be in the game, especially since they provide a noticeably weaker boost to power than Z-moves.
Not to mention that, if you hacked them in the Gen VI games, they not only reduced the gem's boost but also added in a Fairy Gem. Why go through the bother if you weren't going to add them back in? And if they were still OP either release a patch or just ban them from competitive, but at least test them first.

Buffs to Knock off The Base power buff is fine, but I feel that the 1.5 boost in power when Knocking off an item really is too much, especially since the penalties of losing an item already are so huge.
That does seem unnecessary, if anything I'd say all Knock Off needs is to have its power lowered to 60 so Technician users could really make use of it, and for every other Pokemon it's just a useful utility move that does damage.

Hmm, could be why a lot of Special moves we debuffed last generation. That said I think that can be fixed by making better/improving existing Physical moves.
As for Special Attackers not worrying about status ailments, as Taistelu said I think Poison decreasing Special Attack wouldn't be a bad idea. As for the Ability, well either introduce a new one or, better yet, just have Intimidate lower the highest offense stat (or if that's too OP have a way to have Intimidate lower either Attack or Special Attack).

Eh, I could take or leave the dancing men. My personal favorite Gen V roadblock is them testing the bridge's capacity by having a ton of people stand on it. It's just a funny sight to see all those NPC sprites stacked next to each other, and the idea is ludicrous since I don't think that's safe incase the bridge can't take the weight.

As far as roadblocks go, it mostly bothers me when it doesn't seem either justified or self-aware. The Dancing Men outright tell you they don't have much reason to be there, but that also feels like the developers acknowledging they need a roadblock, but the only other idea is "you're not strong enough", which is impossible to guarantee, or at least ensure the player buys it. The asshole with his Stoutland in S/M bothers me more because that feels like it's trying to be unironic, but at that point he's not just impeding the player, he's shooing people off of a public road to a notable business/tourist hotspot, which should logically get some kind of law enforcement or someone like a trial captain to scold him. The Dancing men have the excuse of being on a remote road that probably wouldn't see much traffic, and you don't really have to go that way for a while if at all (my memory is slightly foggy on B2W2's world map path). I also interpret time in Pokemon to canonically correspond to events rather than actual time, so in theory, the dancing guys might only be at that road for an hour or two, but the in story player doesn't notice because they don't go there in plot.

As for another point, it is hard for me to buy the MC and Hau being younger than teenagers at least. Considering Team Skull are supposed to be delinquents from troubled homes/lives, almost like a "what if" for everyone who does what you do and doesn't get far enough, I'd expect the grunts at least are close to you in age. It also makes Plumeria's attitude seem a bit more out of place, as I usually picture the "older sibling confronting bully" to be very slightly older than the supposed bully, since the idea is the latter pick on smaller people because they're afraid of a "fair" conflict. For Plumeria to likely be at least 7-8 years older than the player makes her seem more like the grunt's mother/parental figure than the "big sister" angle they talk about.

Think we discussed this somewhere else but I'll post my thoughts here too.

You can say that about any of the competitions. I hate to be "that guy", but the games have been out for a few months now. It's not their fault you haven't finished the game and had time to raise a competitive team. There's plenty of people who have and, if anything, these competitions are one of the only things keeping them coming back to the game as they have nothing else left to do in it. It's not fair to them to not do these competitions just in case someone hasn't completed the game, because if they did that then no competitions will ever be held since there's always a new player who may want to compete but don't feel they're ready as they haven't finished the game.

Also I enter online competition with my main story team (and later with just Tapu and Ultra Beasts I caught) without competitive training them and surprisingly did well. I think some players I beat had competitive teams and I was just able to overpower them, essentially the Pokemon version of button mashing.

Like I said, I can breed and raise a competitive team. Just not in Sun! I'm not saying "quit the competitions", just saying "allow Pokémon with at least the Pentagon to enter", which seemed to be the case for the last competition.

And I haven't caught the Tapus or Ultra Beasts, while much of my in game team consists of Pokémon I've bred and shinies I've accumulated over the years.

In any case, it doesn't matter for now. Manitric kindly bred and raised a team for me that I tested in Showdown, and while not the best team, due to lacking the Ultra Beasts and Tapus, it has provided promising results that tells me that I'll be able to fight on an even playing field, which is all I ask for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)