Metagame Chimera 1v1

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Approved by Chloe. and The Immortal

art by Bummer
Ready for some mad science?

Chimera is a 1v1-based metagame where a single Pokemon inherits specific traits from your entire 6-mon team, based on their order, which can be changed in team preview. Once the battle starts, the Pokemon undergoes a form change that "fuses" together your team into a single Pokemon. At last, you can take the best aspects of all your favorites and combine them into the ultimate monster! How exactly does this work, though? Well, it's probably easier just to show an example.

This is standard Defog Latios, as displayed in Teambuilder import text. The number by each part of the Latios set represents which trait the Pokemon would pass on in to the fused Chimera, depending on which slot it resides in. Remember -- you can choose the order of your team at the start of the battle, allowing you to tweak the fusion process to your liking. Here are the traits you can provide with this set:
  1. Type: The Chimera would be Dragon/Psychic type, and will also look like Latios
  2. Item: The Chimera would be holding Life Orb
  3. Ability: The Chimera would have the ability Levitate
  4. Stats: The Chimera would have 301/166/196/359/257/350 stats, including IV values
  5. Moves 1+2: The Chimera would be able to use Draco Meteor and Psyshock
  6. Moves 3+4: The Chimera would be able to use Roost and Defog
Because all aspects of PS! use this same order to convey the information of Pokemon, it should be fairly intuitive to new players. Here are the general rules:
Rules: Players bring 6 legal Pokemon to battle but only pick one. The player cannot switch directly or by using moves/items/abilities. Once that Pokemon is defeated, the match ends.
Mechanic: The chosen Pokemon inherits traits from their teammates once the battle begins. This process can be altered by rearranging the team order during team preview.
Clauses: OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Endless Battle Clause
Bans:
Pokemon: Shedinja, Smeargle
Abilities: Pure Power, Huge Power, Moody
Items: Focus Sash, Pokemon-specific items (Eviolite, Light Ball, Thick Club, DeepSeaTooth, Stick, Lucky Punch, Mega Stones, Pokemon-specific Z-Crystals)
Moves: Perish Song, Transform, all Sleep moves
So what does the process of playing Chimera look like, and what does this bring to the table over standard 1v1 and Balanced Hackmons?

Creating the Ultimate Life Form:
All the Pokemon sets legal in Chimera used can be used in game, or probably in the Ubers tier--on their own they're nothing special. Once fused together, however, the chimeric Pokemon can be min-maxed to achieve the full potential of its qualities and those from its team. Perhaps even more so than standard 1v1, Chimera is a meta where careful and clever preparation far outweighs the events of the battle itself.

Limitation Breeds Invention:
There are some sets you simply can't create in Chimera. For instance, Fake Out, Extreme Speed, and Boomburst cannot share space on a set, as no one Pokemon contains two of the three in their movepool. Instead of always picking the best move and ability for the job (like BH), you search out for what each member of your team can provide naturally and jerry-rig a powerful set. This would lead to a lot of thread discussion on which combinations fuse into the best Chimera.

Switching Strategies on the Fly
:
By altering the order of your team at team preview, you chose the composition of your "fused" Pokemon. This players of this meta thrive with flexibility and smart predictions. Each team should allow for multiple "variants" rather than one linear option. You may have Xerneas for its high base stats (slot 4), but if you're using something else for stats, perhaps make sure it passes on its ability Fairy Aura (slot 3) to a powerful Fairy attacker, or moves like Geomancy, Close Combat and Aromatherapy (slots 5-6). You can even "pair" moves for different sets together, like two special moves in the first two slots and two physical moves in the latter two. The ultimate flex slot is slot 2 (Item), as that Pokemon has full reign to change the rest of its set in case you want to use a different variant build. I'll be talking about some examples below, but the key point here is that the ability to change which way your Pokemon fuse allows the player more agency to alter their strategy based on the matchup. 1v1-based metas, in any game, are very matchup oriented, but here you can see what strategies your opponent might be trying to bring and adjust accordingly right before the fight begins. I can see room tours being pretty entertaining in this way, as they'd only last a couple turns but the mindgames would be a joy to watch.

Examples:
Team-building can be tricky for this metagame! Below I will cover what you should and shouldn't do when constructing a Chimera, listing two team imports which can make at least 10 distinct Chimera sets each.
Most people are unwilling to play Chimera 1v1 because it seems very complicated to them, and they are right, to an extent. However, here are a few tips on how to make flexible and viable teams.

I. Teammates should have multiple viable slots
I see a lot of Chimera players using one-dimensional teams: Prankster SporeSeed, Shell Smash, Poison Heal. The best way to teambuild is to use teammates that have good abilities, moves, and stats themselves. Take, for example, my Pixilate team. Pixilate is a common sight in one-dimensional teams, but I enhanced the idea by adding teammates that can take advantage of each others' wide movepool. Sylveon has both Psyshock and Shadow Ball, so Lunala is a good pick, while also donating Shadow Shield, Will-o-Wisp, and Roost. Flygon has both Earthquake and Dragon Dance for the physical Pixilate set, while also using Boomburst and Earth Power for a special Pixilate set.

II. Many teammates should have viable stats
While many mons have great movepools, one should also make sure that they don't rely on one or two Ubers for the fourth slot. Ubers often have very powerful or very diverse movepools (see Rayquaza), and also may have good abilities (such as Lugia or Lunala). It's even better when these Ubers have recovery - a balance of offensive and defensive moves is key to having a team that can both do great damage or stall out the opponent.

III. Don't use the teambuilder to teambuild
I think the main turnaway of Chimera, and the reason why there are many one-dimensional teams, is because it is incredibly hard to build one when one is looking at one mon at a time. The solution? Don't use Pokemon Showdown to teambuild. Although it might sound like too much, I do all of my teambuilding on paper (you can do this with on the computer, too, with Google Docs, Word, or Pages) It lets me see every teammate's ability, moves, and item. Just use this template:
[Pokemon] @ [Item]
[Ability]
[Move], [Move], [Move], [Move]

[Pokemon] @ [Item]
[Ability]

[Pokemon] @ [Item]
[Ability]

[Pokemon] @ [Item]
[Ability]

[Pokemon] @ [Item]
[Ability]

[Pokemon] @ [Item]
[Ability]

Since I focus on abilities first, I fill in the third mon slot first. Take the Hustle team, for instance:
I'm looking for a HustleBand set. Togekiss has the best movepool out of Hustle users, so I fill in this:
[Pokemon] @ [Item]
[Ability]

[Pokemon] @ Choice Band
[Ability]

Togekiss @ [Item]
Hustle

[Pokemon] @ [Item]
[Ability]

[Pokemon] @ [Item]
[Ability]

[Pokemon] @ [Item]
[Ability]

Rayquaza has a great movepool with V-Create and Dragon Ascent. Ho-oh gets STAB on both. I can also use Xerneas to support Togekiss's typing with Geomancy and Moonblast while also donating good Speed and Attack. Lugia gets Earthquake, Trick, and Multiscale while also having Aeroblast to further support Togekiss's typing. Since Xerneas has interesting physical moves in Outrage and Close Combat, and I have both a Dragon type and a Fire type, Reshiram is a good choice because it has good special stats. I put it in the item slot because it doesn't have much to contribute to the HustleBand set. Now my team looks like this:
Ho-oh @ [Item]
Pressure

Reshiram @ Choice Band
Turboblaze

Togekiss @ [Item]
Hustle

Xerneas @ [Item]
Fairy Aura
Outrage, Close Combat, Geomancy, Moonblast

Rayquaza @ [Item]
Air Lock
V-Create, Dragon Ascent, [Move], [Move]

Lugia @ [Item]
Multiscale
Aeroblast, [Move], Earthquake, Trick

Now, let's say that I want a Geomancy set. Since Xerneas already has Geomancy and Moonblast, I can use Togekiss as the first slot, and add Aeroblast to Lugia. Lugia has good coverage in Earth Power, so I add that too. Rayquaza has great Special Attack and the highest Speed after Xerneas, so I use max Special Attack and Speed on it. Reshiram's Turboblaze helps beat Unaware, so only Ho-oh is left. It gets a Power Herb for Geomancy and goes in the item slot. Now my team looks like this:
Ho-oh @ Power Herb
Pressure

Reshiram @ Choice Band
Turboblaze

Togekiss @ [Item]
Hustle

Xerneas @ [Item]
Fairy Aura
Outrage, Close Combat, Geomancy, Moonblast

Rayquaza @ [Item]
Air Lock
V-Create, Dragon Ascent, [Move], [Move]

Lugia @ [Item]
Multiscale
Aeroblast, Earth Power, Earthquake, Trick

To track sets, I use a single letter to represent each teammate. Here, I use H for Ho-oh, R for Reshiram, T for Togekiss, X for Xerneas, F for Fug Rayquaza, and L for Lugia. So my Geomancy set would look like this: THRFLX
I repeat this process for each viable set I can find until every move is used up. If any items are left blank, I usually put Leftovers or Lum Berry there as a viable placeholder. Here is my finished team:

Ho-Oh @ Power Herb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake

Reshiram @ Choice Band
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blue Flare
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Togekiss @ Fairium Z
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling Gleam

Xerneas @ Groundium Z
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Close Combat
- Geomancy
- Moonblast

Rayquaza @ Leftovers
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- V-create
- Dragon Ascent
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Lugia @ Firium Z
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aeroblast
- Earth Power
- Earthquake
- Trick

HustleBand: HRTXFL
Geomancy: THRFLX
Stall: XFRLHT
HustleZ: RLTFXH
NastyZ: HXLRTF
GeomancyZ: HTLFRX
WallbreakZ: HXLFRT

Here is a team setup that's far too obvious, even if it may be effective:

Even if the initial order was something different, it's pretty clear which sequence the player is going to choose their lineup and what they're trying to do. They want a Steel/Fairy Pokemon with an unknown (lol) item that probably boosts damage, Pixilate, the stats of Deoxys-A, Boomburst + filler and Extreme Speed + filler. Seeing this, an opponent with a flexible team could, say, select their type as something that resists Fairy, select stats that can easily take hits, or maybe even select their ability as Soundproof, if they had a mon on the team that has it. Here's a version that is capable of the same thing, but with much more flexibility:

The player could also mix up their team to hide their intentions better, but here's a very similar team with much more potential. While, yes, you could create the exact same Chimera as described above, there are more options here. Magearna could supply Fleur Cannon or Shift Gear or even its bulky stat spread, and Sylveon could supply the type as to ditch the Fire/Ground weakness of Magearna's Steel/Fairy. Rather than just holding an item, Crustle can pass on Shell Smash, Sturdy, or even Rock Wrecker. Perhaps Deoxys-A could supply the stats while Rayquaza could supply Extreme Speed, but you could also swap the two, allowing for a bulkier Chimera with the same set and the potential for other moves from Deoxys' movepool like Psycho Boost or Knock Off. Flygon is useful for Boomburst, but maybe you see a matchup that would appreciate Levitate or Dragon Dance or Earth Power or Roost. Matchup still plays a huge role, but with a setup like this, your Chimera has more options to utilize.

Now, here are some fully-constructed team-builder imports:

Clefable @ Assault Vest
Ability: Unaware
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Stored Power

Xerneas @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Close Combat
- Megahorn

Persian-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Play Rough
- Fake Out
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Zekrom @ Power Herb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power

Swoobat @ Fairium Z
Ability: Simple
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Zen Headbutt
- Stone Edge

Chimera Options (click to read)

Below the team you'll see a spreadsheet with 10 different Chimeras this one setup can produce, simply based on the selection of order. Using a similar chart is probably the best way to build for this meta, I've found. Anyway, this team is based around abusing Geomancy with different abilities and moves, along with some offensive alternatives.
  1. Bulky and powerful Fairy with recovery and coverage for Steels
  2. Similarly bulky Fairy, but trading recovery for coverage and defense for power
  3. A more defensive option with a different type -- counters opposing setup
  4. Another Fur Coat set, this time with Z-Geomancy -- Stored Power is 240 bp
  5. A physical set with powerful STAB and the ability to bust through other abilities
  6. A similar variant with greater STAB damage and different coverage
  7. Raw power over setup, utilizing a different typing than previous teams
  8. A similar variant with Fur Coat and Ground type coverage
  9. Immediate Speed over setup, with diverse coverage
  10. Similar variant, lacking a useful ability but possessing dual STAB
There are even more options that could be utilized here, but I drew the line at 10. Here's another team which aims for diversity over centralization:

Drampa @ Charti Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Rayquaza @ Rockium Z
Timid Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create

Serperior @ White Herb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Tail

Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake

Barbaracle @ Leftovers
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shell Smash
- Dragon Claw
- Switcheroo
- Torment

Kyurem-Black @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

Chimera Options (click to read)

1. A defensive yet powerful tank that gains bulk as it wears down opponents
  2. Abusing Contrary for damage boosting over defenses, with solid coverage and STAB
  3. E-killer with more power, resistances, and additional STAB
  4. Strong physical sweeper with a powerful Z-move and a surprise immunity
  5. Abuses Shell Smash and strong STAB, albeit with a questionable ability
  6. Drampa is at it again, this time with the ability to stall and do damage
  7. Gimmick stalling set that can break through Magic Bounce, etc.
  8. Trades half of Chimera 2's moveset for additional Speed in Scarf
  9. Trades Chimera 1's longevity for Rock resistance and Dragon coverage
  10. Trades Chimera 3's priority STAB for Rock resistance an alternate type
This team is a bit more janky, but it has some fun options and a lot of diversity. What teams can you make in Chimera?

Q&A:
Q: Why is X banned?
A: My baseline was to meld the banlists of 1v1 and Balanced Hackmons as a starting point, then go from there. Shedinja is banned because Wonder Guard is its only ability, Smeargle is banned because there's no reason to not run it for two of your moveset slots which greatly dampens the prediction aspect of the OM, Pure Power and Huge Power are banned to prevent absurd power creep, Moody is banned in both BH and 1v1 due to its Evasion-abuse, Focus Sash is a standard 1v1 ban even in Gamefreak formats, Perish Song is a 1v1 ban but maybe it's worth testing here, and Transform prevents Imprison + Transform strategies, which I recall being a major pain for BH 1v1. Because Transform can be a problem in and of itself, it was chosen over Imprison to be banned. Sleep moves are banned because it is easy to abuse and hard to counter, with viable sets having SubSeed or setup. The clauses are pretty obvious, I think.

Q: Why is X not banned?
A: I want to stay fairly conservative on bans to allow the greatest freedom to players, but more changes may be required down the line. I have my eye on certain aspects, like Fur Coat and Protean, but often these strategies require very specific Pokemon and can be easily predicted, like Water Bubble on Araquanid. You'll also notice a lack of Species Clause--using multiple versions of a Pokemon doesn't offer a huge benefit in this OM, so I see no need to restrict that choice.

Q: Is it possible to have more than one of the same move on a Chimera?
A: This remains to be seen, based on the coding. My inclination is to allow it to happen, but if it doesn't work, then the duplicate move(s) should just be deleted off the final moveset.

Q: Can I use illegal combinations of moves/abilities/etc. on a Pokemon if there's no way they'll end up on the same set?
A: No. Even if the set will never appear in battle, it still needs to be legal in-game (or in Anything Goes). The qualities of a Chimera are derived from the fusion process, not alterations to the individual Pokemon themselves.

Q: Can I make use of in-battle forms, like Megas and Primals, or exclusive items, like Thick Club or Eviolite?
A: No, because it causes too much power creep. It allows things like Deo-A with +2 in both stats and 255/160/90 bulk Groudon-Primals with Desolate Land.

Q: What about in-battle forms that don't require items, like Mega Rayquaza or Disguise Mimikyu?
A: No additional form changes should take place in-battle, so if these interactions continue to happen, please post replays in the thread and I'll make sure they're ironed out.

Q: Which slot determines my gender, happiness, weight, level, shininess, and name?
A: In addition to the type and appearance, all these qualities are taken from slot 1. This allows the coding to change the least amount of things from the base form, and since these traits rarely matter in battle, the player doesn't really lose much customization here.

Q: Is this OM fun?
A: You tell me!

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job

Team Archive
Clefable @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Stored Power

Xerneas @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Close Combat
- Megahorn

Persian-Alola @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Play Rough
- Fake Out
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Zekrom @ Power Herb
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power

Swoobat @ Fairium Z
Ability: Simple
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Zen Headbutt
- Stone Edge

Drampa @ Charti Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Rayquaza @ Rockium Z
Timid Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create

Serperior @ White Herb
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Tail

Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake

Barbaracle @ Leftovers
Ability: Tough Claws
Impish Nature
- Shell Smash
- Dragon Claw
- Switcheroo
- Torment

Kyurem-Black @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
- Protect
Reshiram @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Flame Charge
- Draco Meteor

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Taunt

Shuckle @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Shell Smash
- Earth Power

Lunala @ Choice Band
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Moonblast
- Cosmic Power
- Night Daze

Rayquaza @ Psychium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Draco Meteor
- V-create
- Earth Power
- Extreme Speed

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Trick
Resh (Reshiram) @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Blue Flare
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Giratina @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect
- Shadow Force
- Outrage

Malamar @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Calm Mind
- Superpower
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Dark Pulse
- Recover
- Toxic

Zygarde @ Life Orb
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Outrage

Dialga @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 SpA
- Aura Sphere
- Ancient Power
- Overheat
- Ice Beam
Xerneas @ Leftovers
Hasty Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat

Palkia @ Lum Berry
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Giratina @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake

Lunala @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Moongeist Beam
- Ice Beam

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Reshiram @ Fairium Z
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Iron Head

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Stone Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast

Rayquaza @ Icium Z
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Draco Meteor
- V-create
- Extreme Speed

Groudon @ Icium Z
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch

Reshiram @ Choice Band
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blue Flare
- Solar Beam
- Hyper Beam
- Draco Meteor

Aurorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire

Yveltal @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Sucker Punch
- Oblivion Wing
- Focus Blast

Talonflame @ Lum Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

Rayquaza @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- V-create
- Dragon Ascent
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Lugia @ Choice Band
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Earthquake
- Recover

ZWings: HYTLRM
ZWings2: LYTHRM
CalmWings: LHTRMY
Multiscale: RTMLYH
MultiSpecs: HLMRTY
MultiZ: YRMHLT
BulkLock: MTRYHL
BandLock: HMRLYT
Stall: YTLMHR
Ho-Oh @ Power Herb
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake

Reshiram @ Choice Band
Calm Nature
- Blue Flare
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Togekiss @ Fairium Z
Ability: Hustle
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling Gleam

Xerneas @ Groundium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Close Combat
- Geomancy
- Moonblast

Rayquaza @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- V-create
- Dragon Ascent
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Lugia @ Firium Z
Calm Nature
- Aeroblast
- Earth Power
- Earthquake
- Trick

HustleBand: HRTXFL
Geomancy: THRFLX
Stall: XFRLHT
HustleZ: RLTFXH
NastyZ: HXLRTF
GeomancyZ: HTLFRX
WallbreakZ: HXLFRT
Tapu Lele @ Choice Band
Ability: Psychic Surge
- Skill Swap
- Nature's Madness

Deoxys-Attack @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Trick
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower

Bangarang (Lugia) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Trick

Slaking @ Choice Specs
Ability: Truant
- Scratch
- Work Up
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Salac Berry
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 172 Def
Adamant Nature
- Prismatic Laser
- Earth Power
- Morning Sun
- Toxic

Kyurem-White @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Impact
- Shadow Claw
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Cryogonal @ Rockium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Magic Coat
- Recover
- Ancient Power
- Ice Beam

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Magma Storm
- Metal Sound

Groudon @ Grassium Z
Relaxed Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Overheat

Rayquaza @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Solar Beam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Persian-Alola @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Power Gem

Reshiram @ Firium Z
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Flame Charge
- Blue Flare
#1: Sun Sweeper

Reshiram @ Choice Scarf
Stats: 351/302/216/399/217/317
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Ancient Power
- Ice Beam
pretty simple. kill them before they do the same. timid ray outruns deo-a with scarf.

#2: Rockium Z Lure

Reshiram @ Rockium Z
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Power Gem
use this if your opponent gets cheeky and tries to bring 6 pelippers. fire/rock is ni¢e coverage and nasty plot is cool too. don't bring it unless it actually hits something

#3: Fur Coat Wall

Groudon @ Leftovers
Stats: 403/248/236/338/372/216
- Magic Coat
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic
a fat ground type with high special defense and recovery. what's not to love? if needed groudon and reshiram can switch places to provide a different defensive typing and more emphasis on physical defense but non stab eq is bleh

#4: Stallbreaker

Groudon @ Rockium Z
Stats: 386/186/248/325/248/227
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Toxic
made this set thinking of pink blobs with magic bounce. rockium is a dump slot but in retrospect cryo and heatran should be switched around. leftovers is always nice

#5: Flash Fire Lure

Cryogonal @ Grassium Z
Stats: 403/248/236/338/377/216
- Ice Beam
- Solar Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Power Gem
a crazy meme set that lures in water and fire types. beware steel types tho.

#6: Levitate Firium Z

Heatran @ Firium Z
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Overheat
designed to break sturdy/shadow shield users. click fake out first. heatran will be able to live most attacks due to ray's passable bulk and finish the opponent with z overheat.

#7: Tank

Reshiram @ Assault Vest
Stats: 403/305/416/236/218/194
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Ancient Power
- Ice Beam
if your opponent is using hyper offense, this is the go-to mon. fur coat helps it live eqs and av is nice for z moves. its power output is severely lacking however and it needs 2 turns to hit waters. switch around cryo/groudon/resh if needed for a type change or more spdef.
Lapras @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Avalanche
- Drill Run
- Signal Beam
- Freeze-Dry

Exploud @ Douse Drive
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Surf
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Araquanid @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Bubble
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Mirror Coat
- Hidden Power
- Scald

Kyurem-White @ Shock Drive
Timid Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Stone Edge
- Roost

Genesect @ Leftovers
Ability: Download
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Techno Blast
- Simple Beam
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower

Aurorus @ Chill Drive
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Def
- Aqua Tail
- Avalanche
- Freeze-Dry
- Calm Mind

Water Bubble abuser (also good against Normalize):
Lapras @ Douse Drive
Ability : Water Bubble
Kyurem-White’s stats
- Techno Blast
- Simple Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Calm Mind

Techno Blast is a powerful water STAB, and it ignores Normalize. Simple Beam eliminates any water immunities (also very useful against Contrary mons). Freeze-Dry is 4x supereffective against everything that has a 4x resistance to water. There's no need for another coverage move, so Calm Mind seemed like a good idea for the last spot.

Other Normalize counters:
Exploud @ Chill Drive
Ability : Water Absorb
Kyurem-White’s stats
- Techno Blast
- Simple Beam
- Hidden Power Electric
- Scald

Exploud @ Shock Drive
Ability : Water Absorb
Aurorus’s stats
- Techno Blast
- Simple Beam
- Hidden Power Ice
- Scald

The first one beats Grass/Ghosts with Normalize, the second beats Water/Ghosts with Normalize, and both have BoltBeam coverage (assuming Hidden Power works how I expect it to - I gave Kyurem the IVs for HP Electric and Aurorus the IVs for HP Ice) in case you predicted wrong and your opponent doesn't use Normalize. In fact, the second one completely destroys the team I posted above, since it can basically ignore the abilities of both the Normalize abuser and the Water Bubble abuser, and it hits both supereffectively.

Refrigerated Boomburst:
Lapras @ Choice Specs
Ability : Refrigerate
Kyurem-White’s stats
- Boomburst
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower

No explanation needed.

Physical Attacker:
Kyurem-White @ Choice Band
Ability : Water Bubble
Genesect’s stats
- Aqua Tail
- Avalanche
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Genesect's attack stat isn't terrible, and this set has dual STABs, powerful coverage in Earthquake and Water Bubble-boosted Aqua Tail, and a handy immunity to burns thanks to Water Bubble.
Alakazam @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Disable
- Iron Tail
- Trick

Sableye @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
- Power Gem
- Trick
- Spite
- Substitute

Mawile @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Iron Head
- Ancient Power
- Metal Burst
- Protect

Greninja @ Lagging Tail
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Spite
- Toxic

Giratina @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball

Solgaleo @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Full Metal Body
Naive Nature
- Morning Sun
- Cosmic Power
- Sunsteel Strike
- Flare Blitz
Solgaleo @ Lagging Tail (Greninja)
Ability: Prankster (Sableye)
Stats: Giratina
- Encore (Alakazam)
- Disable (Alakazam)
- Metal Burst (Mawile)
- Protect (Mawile)

Encore+Disable disrupts a lot of strategies that revolve around using as powerful a move as possible. Lagging Tail lets Metal Burst go last. Giratina's stats with Psychic/Steel typing should be tough to reak.

Giratina @ Lagging Tail (Greninja)
Stats: Solgaleo
- Encore (Alakazam)
- Disable (Alakazam)
- Metal Burst (Mawile)
- Protect (Mawile)

Whlie Solgaleo isn't running bulk, it should have enough naturally to take one or two weaker (read: non-choiced) hits and Metal Burst back, at a minimum.

Greninja @ Lagging Tail (Solgaleo)
- Encore (Alakazam)
- Disable (Alakazam)
- Metal Burst (Mawile)
- Protect (Mawile)

Greninja's typing with Giratina's body is used vs. predicted Fire-, Water-, or Dark/Ghost-types.
252+ SpA Choice Specs (Grass-Type) Deoxys-Attack Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 152+ SpD Giratina: 422-500 (83.7 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mawile @ Choice Scarf (Sableye)
Ability: Protean (Greninja)
Statline: Solgaleo
- Stone Edge (Giratina)
- Earthquake (Giratina)
- Iron Tail (Alakazam)
- Trick (Alakazam)

The team has two Scarf Protean sets as backup in case the opponent is packing Magic Bounce, which drops the rest of the team, or some other threat that makes the primary strategy unviable. Iron Tail is for Fairies (which the team doesn't like), Edgequake is Edgequake, Trick is for stall mons. Solgaleo has the best offensive statline.

Mawile @ Choice Scarf (Alakazam)
Ability: Protean (Greninja)
Statline: Solgaleo
- Power Gem (Sableye)
- Trick (Sableye)
- Draco Meteor (Giratina)
- Shadow Ball (Giratina)

The same as above, but special. Sort of a backup, in case you need a Protean Scarf vs. a physically fat team, cuz it sure as hell ain't strong. Shadow Ball handles the Ghost-types that might try to dunk on the team, Draco Meteor is a really powerful attack that hits all the random Dragon-types, and power Gem is for Ho-Oh inheritors.

Sableye @ Ghostium Z (Mawile)
Ability: Magic Guard (Alakazam)
- Morning Sun (Solgaleo)
- Cosmic Power (Solgaleo)
- Toxic (Greninja)
- Spite (Greninja)

Fat stallbreakng stallmon. Should be straightforward -- Ideally, it can either Toxic stall or PP stall the opponent with Sableye's epic typing, while avoiding opposing passive damage. Z-Spite heals HP to max, and having a Z crystal provides insurance vs. Trick. Falls to Contrary, but those probably won't have anything for Encore+Disable.

Solgaleo @ Ghostium Z (Mawile)
Ability: Pressure (Giratina)
Stats: Greninja
- Encore (Alakazam)
- Disable (Alakazam)
- Spite (Sableye)
- Substitute (Sableye)

A dedicated fast Pressure staller. Probably the ideal option vs. fat wallbreakers that the rest of the team might struggle with. Drops to anything that moves faster than it.

I kind of wanted to do something with Mawile's Intimidate, but eh.
Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic
- Synthesis

Camerupt @ Groundium Z
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flash Cannon

Porygon-Z @ Leftovers
Ability: Adaptability
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Dialga @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Power Gem

Lugia @ Rockium Z
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse

Palkia @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Power Gem
- Earth Power
Grass Adaptability

Cradily @ Groundium Z
Stats: 404/220/276/438/237/216
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Power Gem
- Earth Power

Fire Adaptability

Camerupt @ Rockium Z
Stats: 384/220/237/438/276/236
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Flamethrower
- Power Gem

Water Adaptability

Palkia @ Groundium Z
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse

Defensive Fire

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Stats: 416/194/394/216/345/256
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Defensive Water

Palkia @ Leftovers
Stats: 416/194/394/216/345/256
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

Steel-Type

Dialga @ Leftovers
Stats: 384/220/237/438/276/236
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flash Cannon

Normal-Type

Porygon-Z @ Leftovers
- Nature Power
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Synthesis

Psychic-Type

Lugia @ Leftovers
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Synthesis
Rat (Riolu) @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 84 HP / 84 Atk / 84 Def / 84 SpA / 84 SpD / 84 Spe
Serious Nature
- Blaze Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Detect
- Substitute

Thor (Heliolisk) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Dry Skin
Mild Nature
- Toxic
- Electrify
- Wild Charge
- Rock Slide

Star (Deoxys-Attack) @ Leftovers
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Recover

Sunny (Groudon) @ Zap Plate
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Punch
- Iron Tail

Buttered (Arceus) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Bullet Seed
- Judgment
- Ice Beam

Hey! Hes Red! (Blaziken) @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Shadow Claw
- Hyper Beam
- Overheat

Obviously this isnt every combo the team can make, but this is the ones Ive found most useful. Some of them I use a lot more often than others, some ive only ever used once as an incredibly niche counter to a single strategy, but ill try and give a rundown of that in the set descriptions.
  1. This set, which was the starting idea for the team, is one of the ones I use most. It only needs to get a Toxic off once, from safely behind a sub or when you know you wont die to what your opponent is clicking this turn, and the opponent is basically dead. If that doesnt work, either because of their typing or because theyre clicking powerful moves every turn, Substitute/Electrify alone is enough PP to stall out many offensive pokemon, and many stallers can be safely stalled out from behind a sub. Watch out for Taunt though.
  2. This set deals with the Dark weakness of set 1. After one Detect, you should outspeed most defensive Pokemon and then be able to play the same way without worrying about a Prankster Immunity.
  3. There might be other uses, but this set very specifically deals with most variants of defensive Levitate Alolan Muk.
  4. This set lets you block one hit, potentially a Fake Out or partially a Z-Move while boosting your evasion. From there, you can try and use Substitute to increase your odds of getting a miss from the opponent or just attack. You can also bypass the evasion to nuke something with Z-HJK.
  5. Basically set 4 but with a Normal base typing instead of Psychic.
  6. This is one of the sets I use most. Z-Detect provides the same benefits as in set 4, while also giving you a turn for Speed Boost to activate, making it more likely you can get off a Substitute or attack before your opponent. STAB Earth Power hits hard off Deoxys-As Special Attack Stat and Bullet Seed beats F.E.A.R. strategies.
  7. A mixed set that can drop a Drought-Boosted STAB Blaze Kick or STAB Z-HJK on the Physical side and carries Special coverage.
  8. A very strong Physical attacker with access to STAB Z-HJK and Blaze Kick. It does have two Special moves but theyre not good for much.
  9. Basically set 8 but with Shadow Claw over Blaze Lick (also it has Speed Boost).
  10. A Special Attacker with STAB Z-Focus Blast and Electric, Ice, and Normal coverage.
  11. Basically set 10, but with Fire coverage over Ice coverage (also it has Speed Boost).
  12. Deoxys-A stats with a Choice Scarf outruns basically everything, save for Deoxys-S and tying with other Scarf Deoxys-A. This set carries BoltBeam plus coverage, and ends up being my bring often because it can basically hit the entire opposing team super effectively.
  13. A mixed Choice Scarf set with the speed tier perks of set 12 and Dry Skin to protect its Ground typing from common Water moves.
  14. A similar set to 13, but a different typing makes Dry Skin less useful and lets it be switched for Drought, which powers up Overheat.
  15. A fast Choice Band user with Fighting STAB and Sun-boosted Fire STAB that tears through a lot, plus coverage. Thi set ends up being useful very often.
  16. A similar set to 15, but it trades Drought for Dry Skin to help the matchup against Water. Also, it has slightly different coverage moves.
  17. Basically set 16, but with a Ghost move instead of Fire move and typing.
  18. Basically set 15, but it trades Drought and its Speed for bulk and power.
  19. Basically set 18, but with a Ghost move instead of Fire move and typing.
  20. A weird looking set in that its a Special attacker based on Blazikens stats, but its super useful for beating Ghost-types with Normalize Skill Swap/Entrainment. It can use Prankster Taunt to stop their strategy and kill them with Shadow Ball, or if that doesnt work out just use Electric Judgement, which isnt affected by Normalize.
  21. This sets mostly for teams that appear to be using Water Bubble. Its typing lures Water-type moves while it fires off a powerful Electric Judgement on the Water-types. Outside of that use, it still has BoltBeam coverage on the Special side and Dual STAB on the Physical side. Watch out for Teravolt Water moves though.
  22. Sort of a middle ground of a few other sets, a non-Choice-locked strong, quick Special Attacker with STAB Electric Judgement forming half of its BoltBeam coverage and letting it deal with some Ghost Normalize sets. It has two physical moves but they dont have much real use.
  23. A pretty niche set that has been helpful against Flying types with priority, specifically Gale Wings users, Aerilate FakeSpeed, and Pixilate FakeSpeed Togekiss.
Reshiram @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Blue Flare
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat
- Judgment
- Iron Head

Malamar @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Superpower
- Topsy-Turvy

Deoxys-Attack @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Night Shade
- Psycho Boost
- Dark Pulse

Rayquaza @ Firium Z
Jolly Nature
- Draco Meteor
- V-create
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Spinda @ Zap Plate
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch / Protect
- Superpower
- Skill Swap
Groudon @ Waterium Z
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt

Bruxish @ Firium Z
Ability: Dazzling
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Psychic Fangs
- Aerial Ace

Carracosta @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Substitute
- Psychic

Minior @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shields Down
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Double-Edge

Entei @ Groundium Z
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
Pheromosa @ Custap Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- High Jump Kick
- Electroweb

Tapu Lele @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Focus Blast
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Substitute

Necrozma-Dawn-Wings @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Prismatic Laser
- Photon Geyser
- Moongeist Beam
- Dragon Pulse

Marshadow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Bulk Up
- Copycat
- Shadow Sneak

Giratina @ Choice Specs
EVs: 200 HP / 88 Atk / 88 Def / 132 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shadow Force
- Endure
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball

Meowstic @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 1 HP
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Imprison
- Skill Swap

Last edited:
I'm just here to give a quick list of Pokemon that have at least 2 good abilities for slot 3. (Also, I'm just going down the tier list in the Teambuilder for these) This list is in NO way comprehensive. If you think it could be better, make your own list, I don't care.
Clefable: Magic Guard, Unaware
Marowak/Marowak-A: Rock Head, Lightningrod
Azumarill: Thick Fat, Sap Sipper, Huge Power
Breloom: Poison Heal, Technician
Porygon-Z: Adaptability, Download
Staraptor: Intimidate, Reckless
Thundurus-I/Tornadus-I: Prankster, Defiant
Lugia: Pressure, Multiscale
Arcanine: Intimidate, Flash Fire
Chandelure: Flash Fire, Flame Body, Infiltrator
Conkeldurr: Guts, Sheer Force, Iron Fist
Togekiss: Serene Grace, Super Luck
Tsareena: Queenly Majesty, Sweet Veil
Hawlucha: Limber, Unburden, Mold Breaker
Venomoth: Shield Dust, Tinted Lens
Aerodactyl: Rock Head, Pressure
Araquanid: Water Bubble, Water Absorb
Brozong: Levitate, Heatproof
Honchkrow: Insomnia, Super Luck
Goodra: Sap Sipper, Gooey
Jolteon: Volt Absorb, Quick Feet
Kommo-o: Bulletproof, Soundproof, Overcoat
Milotic: Marvel Scale, Competitive
Pangoro: Iron Fist, Mold Breaker, Scrappy
Reuniclus: Overcoat, Magic Guard
Rhyperior: Lightningrod, Solid Rock, Reckless
Sharpedo: Rough Skin, Speed Boost
Swellow: Guts, Scrappy
Noivern: Infiltrator, Frisk
Yanmega: Speed Boost, Tinted Lens, Frisk
Absol: Pressure, Super Luck, Justified
Aggron: Sturdy, Rock Head
Ambipom/Cinccino: Technician, Skill Link
Banette: Insomnia, Frisk
Basculin: Reckless, Adaptability, Mold Breaker
Bastiodon: Sturdy, Soundproof
Bibarel/Swoobat: Simple, Unaware
Bouffalant: Reckless, Sap Sipper, Soundproof
Braviary: Sheer Force, Defiant
Butterfree: Compound Eyes, Tinted Lens
Carbink/Regirock: Clear Body, Sturdy
Carracosta: Solid Rock, Sturdy
Drampa: Berserk, Sap Sipper
Drifblim: Unburden, Flare Boost
Druddigon: Rough Skin, Sheer Force, Mold Breaker
Exploud: Soundproof, Scrappy
Flareon: Flash Fire, Guts
Golem: Rock Head, Sturdy
Golem-A: Sturdy, Galvanise
Golurk: Iron Fist, No Guard
Gothitelle: Frisk, Competitive
Granbull: Intimidate, Quick Feet
Donald TrumpGumshoos: Strong Jaw, Adaptability
Hariyama: Thick Fat, Guts Sheer Force
Hitmonlee: Reckless, Unburden
Hitmontop: Intimidate, Technician
Lanturn: Volt Absorb, Water Absorb
Lapras: Water Absorb, Shell Armor
Machamp: Guts, No Guard
Malamar: Contrary, Infiltrator
Mawile/Tauros: Intimidate, Sheer Force
Mightyena: Intimidate, Moxie
Miltank: Thick Fat, Scrappy, Sap Sipper
Mr Mime: Soundproof, Filter, Technician
Persian-A: Technician, Fur Coat
Quagsire: Water Absorb, Unaware
Sawk: Sturdy, Mold Breaker
Sigilyph: Magic Guard, Tinted Lens
Stantler: Intimidate, Frisk, Sap Sipper
Steelix: Rock Head, Sturdy, Sheer Force
Stoutland: Intimidate, Scrappy
Throh: Guts, Mold Breaker
Togedemaru: Iron Barbs, Lightningrod, Sturdy
Tyrantrum: Rock Head, Strong Jaw
Vivillon: Shield Dust, Compound Eyes
Zebstrika: Lightningrod, Motor Drive, Sap Sipper

*Note: Some usually good abilities are not included in the list. This is because they would be worthless or nearly so in this semi-1v1 Meta
  • Weather-reliant abilities: Pokemon with these (in my experience) generally tend to rely on another Pokemon to set up the weather first.
  • Trapping abilities: Opponents can't switch out anyway
  • Regenerator, Natural Cure, Stakeout: You can't switch out for these to activate.
  • Moxie: The battle would end the first time the ability would activate

Protean (particularly with Deoxys-A and Pheromosa) and Contrary are two of the biggest threats in this metagame, and while you've posted a solid Serperior Contrary team in the OP (buried within hide tags), here's a team I've been using in test battles on Dragon Heaven that incorporates both of the above and uses a potentially more versatile Contrary donor, Shuckle.

Reshiram @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Flame Charge
- Draco Meteor

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Taunt

Shuckle @ Ghostium Z
Relaxed Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Shell Smash
- Earth Power

Lunala @ Choice Band
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Moonblast
- Cosmic Power
- Night Daze

Rayquaza @ Psychium Z
Lonely Nature
- Draco Meteor
- V-create
- Earth Power
- Extreme Speed

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Trick

In my limited experience with this metagame so far, I've found that the best teambuilding strategy is to focus on two central chimeras and "stash" one's typing donor in the other's item slot. Synthesizing a Contrary Dragon/Fire (hence Reshiram) and a fast, mixed Protean (hence Deoxys-A, which also has an excellent movepool including Psycho Boost) was the primary goal of this team.

Lunala is by far one of the best Pokemon for this metagame overall due to its highly flexible movepool, good ability that becomes even better in a 1v1 setting, and solid, if not extraordinary, stats. Shuckle donates Contrary and reasonably good defensive stats, along with a movepool of basic physical coverage options and the all-important Shell Smash. Its mediocre typing is a lot less of an inconvenience on a team centered around Protean. Rayquaza has access to invaluable Contrary-compatible coverage moves, plus the Earth Power and Extreme Speed that I remembered from BH Protean sets and good mixed offenses, so I threw it on. Finally, Greninja is a necessary evil of any Protean team, but its definitively sub-par stats and typing make it a major inconvenience. (My Shuckle Z-Cosmic Power Pressure staller with Lunala's Night Daze for extra annoyance is seriously held back by Water/Dark typing, but still manages to function nonetheless.)

More posts to come as I think of more strategies, but for now I highly recommend Lunala in particular to anyone looking for an excellent utility Pokemon to throw on, as it can be valuable in virtually every slot.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
One thing I find interesting about this meta is that you can use pokemon with one horrible flaw (stats or ability for instance) and just never use them in that slot. For instance Slaking-

Wait ubers are legal? Why? Forget Slaking then.

Some abilities that I think will be very useful due to being broadly slappable onto just about anything, and some recommended users in descending order...
Protean (Greninja(stats and movepool), Kecleon (Movepool))... actually Uselesscrab I might be tempted to say Kecleon is better as you should never use Greninja for stats anyway and Kecleon has the much more interesting movepool.
Adaptability (Porygon-Z (stats, movepool), Dragalge, Crawdaunt (movepool))
Sturdy (Crustle (movepool- Shell Smash), Avalugg (everything but typing), Donphan (movepool), Magnezone (typing),
Hustle on physical things (Togekiss (Movepool, typing)
Multiscale / Shadow Shield (Lunala (stats), Dragonite (movepool))
Intimidate (idk)
Download (Genesect)

Those abilities (and probably others) have the distinction of not needing to be used in specific circumstances, and allow for more flexibility at team preview. I'd welcome feedback of course. I kept on forgetting this was an ubers metagame, and I'm also not great at 1v1.

Download could be really powerful here, as you can mold your team such that your chimera could be either Physical or Special attack depending on what you think would be better against your opponent.

This is a rushed team example to demonstrate how easy it is to have both a physical and special set for your Chimera:
Volcanion

Regigigas @ Choice Specs
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

Genesect
Ability: Download

Kyurem-White @ Choice Band
Serious Nature

Greninja
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Waterfall
- Gunk Shot

Ho-Oh
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Earth Power
- Overheat

Body: Volcanion
Item: Choice Band via Kyrem-W OR Choice Specs via Regigigas
Ability: Download via Genesect
Stats: Regigigas OR Kyrem-W
Moves 1&2: Sacred Fire+Earthquake (Ho-Oh) OR Hydro Pump+Dark Pulse (Greninja)
Moves 3&4: Waterfall+Gunk Shot (Greninja) OR Overheat+Earth Power (Ho-Oh)

If Water Bubble is not banned, than that is probably the strongest ability in the meta, being as good as Huge Power for water type moves. Maybe should be quick banned.

Also Skill Swap + Normalize + Ghost type seems broken, because unlike in BH, you can't switch that Pokemon out to remove Normalize. Skill Swap + Traunt + Protect also works the same way. Perhaps Normalize and Traunt should also be on the ban list.

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
This looks really really fun but as other have said, Bubble should prob go. You get fun sets like this:

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf/Specs
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (from KyuW)
Modest/Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- 3 filler moves, prob Boltbeam or something + another water STAB
I chose Ogre because it can provide stats and things, but you can use w/e Water Type you like; Palkia, Quagsire/Gastrodon, Volcanion all have interesting types and other cool things to give (eg Steam Eruption).

Other cool set:
Rotom-H/Numel (for Simple!)/Blaziken/Nape/etc @ whatever
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe (from KyuB/Deo-A)
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike / Earthquake / Swords Dance / Dragon Dance
- Close Combat
- Ice Hammer (Crabominable)
Things die.

On defensive mons: I'm assuming Eviolite will have no effect on things, rip Chansey. Giratina is probably the wall of choice in terms of passing stats; you can take moves from a whole heap of things and abilities from the usual suspects (Unaware, Bounce, Prank, Fur Coat, etc) and typings from even more. Giratina has a great movepool so you can even combine it with more offensive threats (perhaps these can pass typing otherwise eg Mawile).

I suspect water types will be very useful initially to counteract V-Create/Overheat/Bubble spam.

I'm not the most knowledgeable on exactly how this OM works and how its meta will solidify to be, but I made a theorymonned team and am curious to see, if this is chosen, how it'd work out.

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Hasty Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat

Palkia @ Lum Berry
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Giratina @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake

Lunala @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Moongeist Beam
- Ice Beam

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Reshiram @ Fairium Z
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

And then, of course, a few of the Chimeras I thought of.

Bulky Z-Geomancy relies on a good defensive typing of Water/Dragon alongside Shadow Shield to click Z-Geomancy, then attempt to either OHKO with 3 coverage options or 2HKO and survive via bulk of Giratina.

Offensive Geomancy does it similarly, but relies on just Power Herband Protean to make up for Lunala's iffy typing. I also gave down Ghost/Fighting coverage for perfect overall coverage, so nothing will accidentally wall it. Somehow.

Specially Offensive just goes with a Choice Specs and Dragon/Fire with 4 coverage options to deal good damage to anything possible. Xerneas is sort of awkwardly placed, but you probably could swap Greninja and Xerneas for an Assault Vest Protean offensive set. That actually sounds much better...

Physically Offensive just has 4 coverage moves, a Lum Berry, and Shadow Shield to attempt to deal decent damage, Probably not a very good option, but it exists, and Shadow Sneak is alright priority alongside Gunk Shot for Xerneas as Typing slots and Low Kick for the fact most mons in here for the Typing slot will be heavyweight.

Mixed Attacker is one of the few sets where I actually figured out I can give STAB to something, being Shadow Ball with Giratina's typing. Protean's always nice, and Lunala gives Fightinium-Z for Focus Blast. All 4 attacking options are also nice.

Tank bunkers down with a good defensive typing, Giratina's stats, Lefties, and Will-O + Roost. I don't know what else to say.

I might have made an error here or there, but this is just a theory team.

anaconja

long day at job
Finally, this is a meta!

Since I have about zero creativity, I have individual teams for individual ideas, but not one that works perfectly as a whole. So here's my attempt at a stall team:

Doublade @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance

Gliscor @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Taunt
- Roost
- Toxic

Persian-Alola @ Toxic Orb
Timid Nature
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Taunt

Giratina @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Shadow Force
- Thunder Wave

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Venom Drench
- Taunt
- Recover

Pelipper @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Drizzle
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Soak
- Roost

As you can see, I am not very good when it comes to theorymonning different sets, let alone both defensive and offensive. Maybe someone can help me build this team better?

EDIT: It seems like you CAN primal-evolve Groudon and Kyogre, though I'm not sure the resulting chimera would gain the stats of Red or Blue Orb.
Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7chimera1v1-39052

Last edited:
Finally, this is a meta!

Since I have about zero creativity, I have individual teams for individual ideas, but not one that works perfectly as a whole. So here's my attempt at a stall team:

Doublade @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance

Gliscor @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Taunt
- Roost
- Toxic

Persian-Alola @ Toxic Orb
Timid Nature
- Parting Shot
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Taunt

Giratina @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Shadow Force
- Thunder Wave

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Venom Drench
- Taunt
- Recover

Pelipper @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Drizzle
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Soak
- Roost

As you can see, I am not very good when it comes to theorymonning different sets, let alone both defensive and offensive. Maybe someone can help me build this team better?

EDIT: It seems like you CAN primal-evolve Groudon and Kyogre, though I'm not sure the resulting chimera would gain the stats of Red or Blue Orb.
Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7chimera1v1-39052
eviolite doesnt work, which kinda sorta messes with your plans

It would appear that Primals are currently bugged. If you have your item mon hold a Blue Orb or Red Orb, and lead with Kyogre or Groudon, you will be able to Primal-Evolve. In some way I'm not completely sure about, this bugs your stats and gives you a combination of your stat mon's stats and Primal Kyogre's and Primal Groudon's stats, in kind of the same way Mix and Mega adds stats or actually how Gift of the Gods adds stats.

Anyway, you end up with a Pdon with Blissey's HP stat. I assume this is a bug, as you're not supposed to be able to mega- or primal evolve.

Attachments

Last edited:
Decided to unload my V-Create team just for shits and giggles. I tried to think of other fun things I could do with the Pokemon I selected so here goes.
Ho-Oh @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Iron Head

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Stone Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast

Rayquaza @ Icium Z
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Draco Meteor
- V-create
- Extreme Speed

Groudon @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch

Reshiram @ Choice Band
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blue Flare
- Solar Beam
- Hyper Beam
- Draco Meteor

Aurorus @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

upload_2017-6-26_21-7-35.png

The goal of this team is to deal as much damage as possible. The best combination is the order the Pokemon are shown by the sprites. Sun boosted STAB V-Create off of Kyurem-B's 170 attack will hurt. Pesky water types can be scorched by Solar Beam from the sun attacker, and any Multiscale shenanigans are stopped by the various Turboblaze sets (including the one with a STAB Z-Freeze Shock albeit with horrendous typing). You also get priority from Refrigerate E-Speed which is nice. I'm sure I can find some better EV spreads or maybe a better fit where Ho-Oh is, but from where this team is now, I'm happy with its awesome power.

SaturnZelda

formerly TylerWithNumbers
I have a question for you. If I had a Pokémon look like Marowak-Alola, and gave the third slot a Thick Club as its item, would it double Attack?

Edit: The thread explains this,
my bad.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
ok first off let me say how much i love the idea of this metagame. it's like BH except almost everything is viable. teambuilding is really challenging tho especially without a developed meta, but it was also tons of fun.

ofc i had to make a team around my favorite mon cryogonal but it somehow turned into a sun team ?_? also i made a format for chimeras but the yellow/orange might be too hard on the eyes.
a b c d e f
Cryogonal @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Magic Coat
- Recover
- Ancient Power
- Ice Beam

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Magma Storm
- Metal Sound

Groudon @ Grassium Z
Relaxed Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Overheat

Rayquaza @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Solar Beam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Persian-Alola @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Power Gem

Reshiram @ Firium Z
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Flame Charge
- Blue Flare

[IMG]http://pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/munchlax.gif[/IMG]
[color=#ff0000]mon[/color] @ [color=#aaaa00]item[/color]
Ability: [color=#00c000]ability[/color]
Stats: [color=#00c0c0]stats[/color]
- [color=#0000ff]move 1[/color]
- [color=#0000ff]move 2[/color]
- [color=#c000c0]move 3[/color]
- [color=#c000c0]move 4[/color]
outside of [plain] tags:[/plain]

mon @ item
Ability: ability
Stats: stats
- move 1
- move 2
- move 3
- move 4

#1: Sun Sweeper

Reshiram @ Choice Scarf
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Ancient Power
- Ice Beam
pretty simple. kill them before they do the same. timid ray outruns deo-a with scarf.

#2: Rockium Z Lure

Reshiram @ Rockium Z
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Power Gem
use this if your opponent gets cheeky and tries to bring 6 pelippers. fire/rock is ni¢e coverage and nasty plot is cool too. don't bring it unless it actually hits something

#3: Fur Coat Wall

Groudon @ Leftovers
Stats: 403/248/236/338/372/216
- Magic Coat
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic
a fat ground type with high special defense and recovery. what's not to love? if needed groudon and reshiram can switch places to provide a different defensive typing and more emphasis on physical defense but non stab eq is bleh

#4: Stallbreaker

Groudon @ Rockium Z
Stats: 386/186/248/325/248/227
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Toxic
made this set thinking of pink blobs with magic bounce. rockium is a dump slot but in retrospect cryo and heatran should be switched around. leftovers is always nice

#5: Flash Fire Lure

Cryogonal @ Grassium Z
Stats: 403/248/236/338/377/216
- Ice Beam
- Solar Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Power Gem
a crazy meme set that lures in water and fire types. beware steel types tho.

#6: Levitate Firium Z

Heatran @ Firium Z
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Overheat
designed to break sturdy/shadow shield users. click fake out first. heatran will be able to live most attacks due to ray's passable bulk and finish the opponent with z overheat.

#7: Tank

Reshiram @ Assault Vest
Stats: 403/305/416/236/218/194
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Ancient Power
- Ice Beam
if your opponent is using hyper offense, this is the go-to mon. fur coat helps it live eqs and av is nice for z moves. its power output is severely lacking however and it needs 2 turns to hit waters. switch around cryo/groudon/resh if needed for a type change or more spdef.

that's all. hope you liked my team o/

EDIT: COLORS EASIER TO READ (thanks Pikachuun)

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
A: You'll also notice a lack of Species Clause--using multiple versions of a Pokemon doesn't offer a huge benefit in this OM, so I see no need to restrict that choice.
A: This remains to be seen, based on the coding. My inclination is to allow it to happen, but if it doesn't work, then the duplicate move(s) should just be deleted off the final moveset.
Q: What about in-battle forms that don't require items, like Mega Rayquaza or Disguise Mimikyu?

A: There is no feasible way to make sure the Pokemon has the right ability/move and also put them in the lead slot. Mega Rayquaza requires Dragon Ascent, which nothing but Rayquaza can give, for instance. Same with Disguise. If there are any loopholes to this, they will be hopefully coded out, as no additional form changes should take place in-battle.
I'm confused on Question 3:

If you can use multiple versions of the same Pokémon, especially if they have the same moves, where moves can be repeated, seems like it would allow for Battle Forms that don't require items.

Like Rayquaza in both the first slot, and the sixth slot with Dragon Ascent. If the stats have to match for Mega Evo then you could even have Rayquaza a third time in slot 4.

Now you could give it Life Orb, Contrary, V-Create, so it can hit off of its 180 Base Attack stat after Mega evolving and then continue to sweep. Or even start with Deoxys-A and have 210 base attack after it gains +30 Atk.

Maybe 1 Rayquaza, 2 Nidoking with Sheer Force Life Orb, 3 Shuckle with Contrary, 4 Rayquaza /Groudon/ Deoxys-A, 5 Victini, 6 Rayquaza

I know you said if there was a loophole it would be coded out, but lack of species clause is the loop hole. This also affects Mimikyu, Pokémon with Zen Mode, and Pokémon like Meleoetta with Relic Song.

Plus weather / Terrain based abilities can still use the move to set up: for example Electric Terrain set up by Zekrom? with the ability from Alolan-Raichu: basically an ability that doubles speed, anti-Spore, and +1 boost to its STAB electric attacks so it can abuse Bolt Strike off 195 base power before STAB without having to use Galvanize and Extreme Speed to go first. Not the best example, but one none the less.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
A: You'll also notice a lack of Species Clause--using multiple versions of a Pokemon doesn't offer a huge benefit in this OM, so I see no need to restrict that choice.
A: There is no feasible way to make sure the Pokemon has the right ability/move and also put them in the lead slot. Mega Rayquaza requires Dragon Ascent, which nothing but Rayquaza can give, for instance. Same with Disguise. If there are any loopholes to this, they will be hopefully coded out, as no additional form changes should take place in-battle.
I'm confused. If you can use multiple versions of the same Pokémon, especially if they have the same moves, where moves can be repeated, seems like it would allow for Battle Forms that don't require items.

Like Rayquaza in both the first slot, and the sixth slot with Dragon Ascent. If the stats have to match for Mega Evo then you could even have Rayquaza a third time in slot 4.

Now you could give it Life Orb, Contrary, V-Create, so it can hit off of its 180 Base Attack stat after Mega evolving and then continue to sweep. Or even start with Deoxys-A and have 210 base attack after it gains +30 Atk.

Maybe 1 Rayquaza, 2 Nidoking with Sheer Force Life Orb, 3 Shuckle with Contrary, 4 Rayquaza /Groudon/ Deoxys-A, 5 Victini, 6 Rayquaza

I actually wrote that before I decided to nix species clause. I'll change the wording of that answer, but as a rule, all form changes should be disabled if the code is working correctly. The flavor of this OM is that the Pokemon in battle isn't the Pokemon it appears to be or any of the Pokemon it takes traits from, it's an independent entity that wouldn't be able to take on different forms just because its base component can.

And thanks for the support, everyone! This an idea I've been sitting on since the end of Gen 6 so I'm glad its finally come into the light. I'm going to be messing around with some new teams when I get the chance, and Dream Eater Gengar has extended the invitation to discuss Chimera in the 1v1 room, so head there for some live chat on the meta! We may also get some neat new banner art soon as well.

Finally, a few people broached the topic so I'll formally bring it up:

I took Water Bubble off the initial ban-list because, despite being strong, it is incredibly predictable and mildly restrictive on team-building. If you see Araquanid on your opponent's team, you can counter with a Water immunity ability or x4 resist (Palkia is a solid choice for this). This is different from BH, where your Water Absorb user can get worn down by teammates, as this is a 1v1-based OM. Araquanid also lacks valuable traits in any position but slot 3, as its typing, stats, and movepool are all rather lackluster. On the other hand, the pressure to counter Water Bubble can also be detrimental to the team-building process--Water immunities aren't exactly common, and ironically the best option is probably Volcanion, which itself is a great pick for Water Bubble-based teams.

What are people's thoughts on Water Bubble, keeping in mind that my goal for the meta is to keep the banlist relatively loose with a power level comparable to BH?

anaconja

long day at job
I think that although Araquanid has a shallow movepool and subpar stats and typing, the ability sets it apart from others, doubling the attack power of Water-type moves. While 4x resistant typings can wall Water-type moves, there is always type coverage. Take a Deoxys-stat Palkia against a Giratina-stat Palkia:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Palkia: 164-192 (32.5 - 38%) -- 97.6% chance to 3HKO
but,
252+ SpA Choice Specs Deoxys-Attack Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Palkia: 566-668 (112.3 - 132.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Physical is always another option as well:

252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palkia: 108-128 (21.4 - 25.3%) -- 0.3% chance to 4HKO
and,
252+ Atk Choice Band Deoxys-Attack Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palkia: 524-618 (103.9 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Here's how it fares against the defensive variants of the chimeras submitted:

Jajoken's Fur Coat Z-Geomancy (Dragon/Electric)
252+ SpA Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-White: 344-406 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Kyurem-White: 188-222 (48 - 56.7%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO

Jajoken's SubSeed Drampa (Normal/Dragon)
252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 376-444 (106.5 - 125.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ho-Oh: 176-208 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Uselesscrab's Pressure Stall (Water/Dark)
252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Crabhammer vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 132-156 (54.3 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Shuckle: 246-288 (101.2 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Evanile's Tank (Water/Dragon)
252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Giratina: 146-174 (28.9 - 34.5%) -- 4.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Giratina: 220-260 (43.6 - 51.5%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO

LuxioBro's Icium Z Tank (Fire/Dragon)
252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Crabhammer vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 752-888 (181.2 - 213.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Water Bubble Deoxys-Attack Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Ho-Oh: 704-830 (169.6 - 200%) -- guaranteed OHKO
...lol nice tank

Although Water Bubble has incredible potential, it can't break through Shadow Shields, Multiscale, and Sturdy. I don't think it's bannable, but it sure will be a big threat.

Last edited:
What about sturdy Metal burst users?

My thoughts are the following:

1: Either Ferrothorn / Venusaur (to avoid both toxic or leech seed)
2: Someone holding either sitrus or similar hp restoring item
3: Pokemon with ability sturdy
4: Giritina for bulky stats
5: Bisharp for metal burst + sucker punch
6: Entei for extreme speed + protect for fake out

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
What about sturdy Metal burst users?

My thoughts are the following:

1: Either Ferrothorn / Venusaur (to avoid both toxic or leech seed)
2: Someone holding either sitrus or similar hp restoring item
3: Pokemon with ability sturdy
4: Giritina for bulky stats
5: Bisharp for metal burst + sucker punch
6: Entei for extreme speed + protect for fake out
Here's what I would run:
1. Venusaur
2. something, idk
3. Magnezone / Shuckle
4. Giratina
5. Sableye (Recover / Metal Burst)
6. Aegislash (Shadow Sneak or Toxic / King's Shield)
The only problem with this is that Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem are all common due to their typing and stats, and break right through sturdy, though I'm not sure that they can break past a Giratina.

Here's what I would run:
1. Venusaur
2. something, idk
3. Magnezone / Shuckle
4. Giratina
5. Sableye (Recover / Metal Burst)
6. Aegislash (Shadow Sneak or Toxic / King's Shield)
The only problem with this is that Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem are all common due to their typing and stats, and break right through sturdy, though I'm not sure that they can break past a Giratina.
OK, as far as Zekrom, Reshiram etc. bear in mind that that if their stats are being used, their ability isn't so that might not be as much of an issue.

So for a revised version:

1. Amoongus: gives the option for spore on top of typing

2. Tapu Fini: Gives option of Guardian of Alola if someone was holding Tapunium Z

3. Alola Golem: Sturdy equipped but could be carrying galvanize - keeps them on their toes

4. Giratina / Arceus: Arceus isn't as bulky but is a great wild card, depending on typing, stats, movepool etc.

5. Bisharp: I'll keep him around for his abilities, although there are options I guess

6. Arcanine: same moves as Entei but more useful abilities (Extreme Speed, Protect)

Overall I think this variation gives more variety.

One question regarding Arceus though: If Arceus is holding a plate for one type and is first (type slot) but pokemon in item slot (2) is holding a different plate, which type does Arceus A: Look like? B: What type does he take?

Last edited:
heh, I remember creating a Water Bubble Karp team for this.

King Karp (Magikarp)
Ability: Swift Swim
- Hydro Pump

False Karp (Feebas) @ Waterium Z
- Blizzard

Araquanid
- Blizzard

Mewtwo
Naive Nature
- Aqua Tail

Volcanion
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat

Greninja
Ability: Torrent
- Acrobatics
- Blizzard
- Water Shuriken
- Waterfall

Pretty straightforward, you can basically tell exactly what this chimera does by looking at the team. Pure water type with Karp as the displayed mon, Waterium Z, Water Bubble, Mewtwo's stats, a powerful Special water move, a priority water move, a physical water move, and Overheat. Is this chimera good? Probably not. Was it satisfying to watch a Magikarp murder something in one hit? You bet.

heh, I remember creating a Water Bubble Karp team for this.

King Karp (Magikarp)
- Hydro Pump

False Karp (Feebas) @ Waterium Z
- Blizzard

Araquanid
- Blizzard

Mewtwo
Naive Nature
- Aqua Tail

Volcanion
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat

Greninja
Ability: Torrent
- Acrobatics
- Blizzard
- Water Shuriken
- Waterfall

Pretty straightforward, you can basically tell exactly what this chimera does by looking at the team. Pure water type with Karp as the displayed mon, Waterium Z, Water Bubble, Mewtwo's stats, a powerful Special water move, a priority water move, a physical water move, and Overheat. Is this chimera good? Probably not. Was it satisfying to watch a Magikarp murder something in one hit? You bet.
Fun idea, just watch out for Water Absorbers and Galvanize Fake-Speeders

How do moves likes Grass Knot or Low Kick work? Jajoken
Q: Which slot determines my gender, happiness, weight, level, shininess, and name?
A: In addition to the type and appearance, all these qualities are taken from slot 1. This allows the coding to change the least amount of things from the base form, and since these traits rarely matter in battle, the player doesn't really lose much customization here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)