Resource PU Simple Question, Simple Answers Thread

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • Why are electrode, vigoroth, and duosion even ranked? Zebstrika seems like a completely better electrode, type:null seems like a completely better vigoroth, musharna seems like a completely better duosion unless I'm missing something.
  • Why are 3 gourgeist forms ranked? Can't you obtain the other forms just through allocating Super's speed evs?
Took this from the VR because they go better here (they're fine questions, but don't wanna take up space in the VR responding). Electrode has Speed, and while it's seen little usage it hasn't seen none. You can see that it outspeeds some things Zebstrika can't, like Scarf Mesprit and pretty much every Shell Smash / Rock Polish user, by checking Speed tiers. Vigoroth isn't as bulky for sure, but having a fast Taunt does set it apart from Type: Null by beating other Taunt or Encore users. Not being shackled to Rest is pretty cool too. Duosion is like worse, but also not completely messed up by Spikes and Tspikes, which are super common right now. Overall they're all fairly niche, but that's reflected in being ranked much lower than their counterparts (well Trode is close to Zebra, but Zebra isn't amazing in the first place plus it might rise).

As for the Gourgeist formes, you can't actually get the exact same thing. Small has the base Speed to set it apart for a subseed set, and the Average form has the best mix of power and speed for z-trick-or-treat. Only Gourgeist-Large has absolutely no niches. What you can do is modify Small or Super to get the same defensive stats as the other two, which is why we only ranked Small and Super last gen, but now Average's stats happen to best fit the new Z-ToT set so it gets to be ranked as well.

Apologies if this has been asked before/it isn't the right place to ask.
What are the odds of another tier being developed below PU? With the power creep I believe that we are due for another, just my opinion.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
What are the odds of another tier being developed below PU? With the power creep I believe that we are due for another, just my opinion.
Unlikely, with Pu being demoted from core metagame and usage based other metagames not being allowed anymore it's just really unlikely that they'll get the playerbase. TJ knows more about this tho, ask them.

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
The chances arent looking good in all honesty. There is an unofficial tier called "ZU" thats below PU but the playerbase is so small and I dont think they will become official anytime soon. on a scale from 1-10 i would say 0

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
What is the prefered item tho?
Life orb is also a nice option. It may seem bad because of the schooling ability but being able to have the extra power and the ability to switch up moves it great. You can also healing wish it back up from all that LO damage with something like Audino or Musharna.

What is Lycanroc-Midnight's niche? What am I to do with it that I can't do with Lycanroc-Midday already? I guess 100% accurate Stone Edges are nice but it doesn't seem quite worth missing out on superior speed and priority.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
What is Lycanroc-Midnight's niche? What am I to do with it that I can't do with Lycanroc-Midday already? I guess 100% accurate Stone Edges are nice but it doesn't seem quite worth missing out on superior speed and priority.
Yeah the main midnight set is a Choice Scarf set simply because it has a bit more bulk and cannot miss Stone Edge. Other than that set Midday is generally always better.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is weather viable is PU?
Yes! Currently both rain and sun are the most viable forms of weather, with reliable setters like Volbeat, Regirock, Mesprit and Liepard along with strong sweepers such as Victreebel, Shiftry, and Exeggutor for sun, and Ludicolo, Kabutops and Qwilfish for rain. Hail is an interesting form of anti weather, being able to cut the recovery of some moves while also stopping other weather teams, though the only viable user currently is Abomasnow. Sand is somewhat usable, with pokemon like Stoutland, Alolan Dugtrio and Sandslash being decent ; however it has a subpar setter and isn't as consistent as sun or rain.

What would be the best electric terrain setter to be paired with alolan raichu. I can't decide between evire and ampharose.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
What would be the best electric terrain setter to be paired with alolan raichu. I can't decide between evire and ampharose.
Although Electric Terrain generally is not viable in the tier itself, I think the most viable setter would be Togedemaru simply because of the utility role it can play with U-turn, Wish, etc. If you really want to you can also just use Electric Terrain Raichu-Alola instead which would probably make for a more viable team (i guess a sort of double dance set with Nasty Plot + Electric Terrain could work in some cases).

This might be the wrong forum, but is FU going to be a thing this generation?
Was said earlier in this thread by TJ, it's unofficial and has a tiny player base so probably not. Last generation it was on the ladder for a little while which is why it gained popularity, but I don't think that's going to happen again.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
This is a more of an opinionated question than anything, but do you guys think there is anything currently suspectable/banworthy?

Would treating "PU" as standing for "Practically Unused" be acceptable? I know this wasn't the original intention of the tier's creators, but it would pave the way for naming any potential lower tiers, such as for example VU ("Virtually Unused") or LU (Literally Unused).

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Would treating "PU" as standing for "Practically Unused" be acceptable? I know this wasn't the original intention of the tier's creators, but it would pave the way for naming any potential lower tiers, such as for example VU ("Virtually Unused") or LU (Literally Unused).
"Acceptable" is a totally subjective term, but to me it wouldn't be acceptable because, well, you'd be wrong. Regardless of what it does for other tiers (and realistically this would have no real benefit for any potential future lower tiers, see: ZU), saying PU stands for something it doesn't, never has, and never plans to stand for would be factually incorrect.

MZ

Why is it that some Pokemon are in the PU tier despite not getting 3.4% usage in PU?
Gonna delete some posts because this is big and annoying when the answer is fairly straightforward. All fully evolved pokemon end up in PU if they have nowhere else to go, not having an "untiered" section isnt just tiering policy, it makes no sense based on how Smogon runs things that we would have something like that. We're trying to tier everything, making a list for everything that doesn't get enough usage in PU would essentially be creating another tier- something that there isn't really interest for at the moment. This came up a bit in the followups but the policy on NFEs is also uniform, they're treated differently from fully evolved things but otherwise very consistently and I don't see the issue here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)