Metagame Alphabet Cup

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
nope, thats dumb and i dont like it
im not cool with manipulating names and stuff, the sim has a set naming system and thats the end-all-be-all for what mons are called.
also, whats the popular consensus for chatter? thats the big scary thing that i want to stir up discussion about.
Looking at the C mons, the only thing that could use Chatter viably is Celesteela. So I think we should wait to see whenever it will be problematic.

I just came across this:

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 6 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Superpower
- Leaf Storm
- Spore
- Soak

Superpower might be replaced by Substitute if you're not facing a special wall like Eviolite Chansey. Soak + Leaf Storm + Life Orb + Contrary could be a lethal combination.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I just came across this:

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 6 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Superpower
- Leaf Storm
- Spore
- Soak

Superpower might be replaced by Substitute if you're not facing a special wall like Eviolite Chansey. Soak + Leaf Storm + Life Orb + Contrary could be a lethal combination.
I would run Secret Sword over Superpower. It defeats most of the Steels without investing in Attack (and the Defense boost isn't really worth imo) and hits Chansey in the Defense. Tho Soak is a pretty neat idea.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
https://pokepast.es/d32d984df6fbd519

This is an example of an Aurora Veil team that addresses and utilizes common threats. Of all the viable archetypes, I found Veil to be particularly intriguing due to less focus on Defog and the ridiculous setup potential.

This Sableye set is a fantastic lead an anti-lead. Obviously S-Pokemon with Spore and hazards are everywhere. Versus Mold Breaker variants of these leads, you don't evolve and use Prankster Spore/Taunt, and versus non-Mold Breaker variants, you evolve. EVs are flexible and are more easily determinable once the meta stabilizes.

The Ninetales set is self-explanatory - N doesn't give many moves but Nuzzle is great. The other 4 are chosen for their ability to use/deter priority and provide some offensive/defensive synergy with each other. Lele seems counterproductive with Dragonite and especially Bisharp but its ability to +1 Z move and prevent opposing Bullet Punches and Prankster Spores/Topsy-Turvies is fantastic, plus Terrain doesn't last too long anyway. Obviously the sets as I've given are quite customizable and this team is improvable in general, but this archetype is quite flexible and powerful. It does need to play carefully around Ditto though.

Koko is an absolute monster in this meta

Tapu Koko @ Chill Drive
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Techno Blast
- Substitute

sub on a forced switch, tail glow and sweep with boltbeam coverage
ez wins

yeah, a lot of things focus the meta really heavily around a few letters as is
mainly boosting moves, but a few attacks as well
there's something about the phrase "shift gear sacred fire spectral thief salamence" that makes you want to die

Koko is an absolute monster in this meta

Tapu Koko @ Chill Drive
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Techno Blast
- Substitute

sub on a forced switch, tail glow and sweep with boltbeam coverage
ez wins
Seems to me that Dazzling Gleam would be a better choice, cuz it carries the same power vs. neutral targets as Techno Blast (more than sufficient at +3 for hitting Fairy-neutral Ground/Grass-types) and leaves your item slot open for something like Life Orb, Leftovers, or a Z Crystal. It also means that you can come in on a predicted Knock Off. You can always run HP Fire if Ferro is a concern... which makes me wonder, how would Tbolt+DGleam+Burn Drive do?

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 96 SpA / 252 SpD / 160 Spe
Calm Nature
- Tail Glow
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

just run normally but now insane SpA

You can also troll around. Will-O-Wisp + Wish Wobbuffet or Destiny Bond Ditto are unexpected (Karate Chop Kakuna or Milk Drink Magikarp for the lulz)

Last edited:
Nobody has said anything about the fact that Eevee now gets STAB Adaptability E-Speed and Earthquake now. It's one of the only E mons that gets STAB E-Speed at all, and it really needed the Ground coverage. E-Speed lets it edge past Thundurus and other priority users after it sets up, and turns it into a surprisingly notable revenge killer for many opposing sweepers, doing at least 50% to a good amount of them. It can also now run Adamant without worrying about Mega Alakazam and things like that. Overall, it's much more viable now, and should not be underestimated. My personal set is E-Speed, Last Resort, EQ, and Sub.

Nobody has said anything about the fact that Eevee now gets STAB Adaptability E-Speed and Earthquake now. It's one of the only E mons that gets STAB E-Speed at all, and it really needed the Ground coverage. E-Speed lets it edge past Thundurus and other priority users after it sets up, and turns it into a surprisingly notable revenge killer for many opposing sweepers, doing at least 50% to a good amount of them. It can also now run Adamant without worrying about Mega Alakazam and things like that. Overall, it's much more viable now, and should not be underestimated. My personal set is E-Speed, Last Resort, EQ, and Sub.
If you want to use Eevee, you should only be using it for Extreme Evoboost. And even then, it still sucks

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Milk Drink
- Moonblast
- Mirror Coat
- Flash Cannon

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Speed Swap
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot / Calm Mind
- Recover

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Rapid Spin

3 cool ideas i had, magearna can act as a special wall and retain its health with milk drink and mirror coat. mega sableye can become a nice prankster / status immune setup mon with np/cm. torkoal can setup trick room and underspeed a ton of things, even speed tying ferrothorn, but it doesn't have great coverage. it could be a nice move to catch somebody off guard or to take an advantage over a faster team, either way it's kinda cool.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Here's something I thought was pretty neat:

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 12 Atk / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Brick Break
- Blue Flare
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off

So Blue Flare and Shadow Ball are pretty obvious choices, but the physical moves seem a little odd. The premise of the set is that it can avoid being Pursuit trapped by TTar by OHKOing it with Brick Break. Knock Off is a really cool Chansey lure, as Brick Break 2HKOs it after Eviolite is gone. Aside from Knock Off, you could probably get away with running Explosion, Flame Charge or Substitute.

Maybe you could use max investment in HP & Spd along with Adaptability + Extreme Evoboost + Explosion (or Eruption if you want to troll) but other than that, it's no use since Baton Pass is not allowed. Besides, since everybody uses E-Spd with E mons, it can get predicted rather easily. Do you have any replay of this being used competitively?

Here's an insteresting idea:

Greninja-Ash @ Normalium Z
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Growth
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken

Z-Growth gives you +2 SpA, much like nasty plot greninja from stabmons, but you only get to set up once. Surf/Dark pulse is all you need once you get rid of its checks. Water shuriken is for priority.

Reactions: nv
A big thing that this gen introduced to this metagame are the potential for z-moves. Such as z-conversion, z-trick-or-treat, etc. just a random example but something like this could be interesting.
Cobalion @ Normalium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Conversion
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
Just threw a quick example together, but this turns cobalion into a steel/dragon type (I think?) with solid speed, bulk and packs a fair punch. Could also run close combat to break through fat special walls. Im sure there are better mons who could run the omni boosting z-moves, something like crawdaunt seems cool with adaptability, but its so slow.
No, this would make Cobalion pure Dragon since Conversion overrides dual typings. It's the thought that counts though.

Im sure there are better mons who could run the omni boosting z-moves, something like crawdaunt seems cool with adaptability, but its so slow.
I've been using Pangoro with Z-Purify and Power Trip. It acts as a decent enough wallbreaker with an immunity to Prankster Topsy-Turvy. (My original plan was to use Z-Sketch Simple Swoobat with Stored Power, but that's banned.)

A big thing that this gen introduced to this metagame are the potential for z-moves. Such as z-conversion, z-trick-or-treat, etc. just a random example but something like this could be interesting.
Cobalion @ Normalium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Conversion
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
Just threw a quick example together, but this turns cobalion into a steel/dragon type (I think?) with solid speed, bulk and packs a fair punch. Could also run close combat to break through fat special walls. Im sure there are better mons who could run the omni boosting z-moves, something like crawdaunt seems cool with adaptability, but its so slow.
Just changes type to normal. Useless

Hitmonlee @ Choice Scarf / Normalium Z
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Head Smash
- Knock Off / Hyperspace Fury
- Head Charge / Hold Hands

If Speed isn't an issue, Hone Claws could help with accuracy.

Sawsbuck @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear
- Stomp
- Sacred Fire
- Spore/Horn Leech/Shadow Bone

Togekiss who?

Lycanroc-Midnight @ Normalium Z
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Land's Wrath/Leaf Blade

100% accurate sleep that actually works on grass-types, plus a speed boost. Swords dance on the switch, then sweep with pseudo-EdgeQuake. Seemed like a better idea than Grasswhistle Golurk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)