Simple Questions/Requests - Mark 49 (Minor Pokemon Trades, Item Requests etc GO HERE) (NO HACKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking of making a Doubles Team focusing on Lugia after I finally catch it in the VC Gen 2 games. I want to focus on making Lugia a huge powerhouse, so I'm thinking going for something like this:

Lugia with Leftovers
252 SpA 252 Spd 4 HP
Weather Ball
Zap Cannon
Whirlwind
Psychic/Psyshock

The team is going to use lots of Weather setters. What would be the best sun, hail, rain, and sand setters to use for Lugia with Weather Ball?

Last edited:

pilica12

Buriallusion: Phantomic Killer in Night Mist
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been thinking of making a Doubles Team focusing on Lugia after I finally catch it in the VC Gen 2 games. I want to focus on making Lugia a huge powerhouse, so I'm thinking going for something like this:

Lugia with Leftovers
252 SpA 252 Spd 4 HP
Weather Ball
Zap Cannon
Whirlwind
Psychic/Psyshock

The team is going to use lots of Weather setters. What would be the best sun, hail, rain, and sand setters to use for Lugia with Weather Ball?
Can't really comment on viability since I'm not very conversant with Doubles, but I presume you want automatic (i.e. ability) weather setters so the choices are obviously quite limited.

Sun: Mega Charizard Y (since it was - no idea if it currently is - good in Doubles for Sun-boosted Heat Wave, it is probably the best pick for Sun-setting)
Rain: Pelipper, of course, not sure if it gets use in Doubles though.
Sand: Tyranitar, I think, has always been a good pick in Doubles.
Hail: Ninetales-A, good pick for setting Veil support, plus 100% accurate Blizzards.

Regarding Lugia itself, I have to ask whether Zap Cannon's literal coinflip accuracy is worth it, but that's something you will have to decide yourself. Also, if it's doubles, you may well want to find a place for Protect somewhere if you can.

Can't really comment on viability since I'm not very conversant with Doubles, but I presume you want automatic (i.e. ability) weather setters so the choices are obviously quite limited.

Sun: Mega Charizard Y (since it was - no idea if it currently is - good in Doubles for Sun-boosted Heat Wave, it is probably the best pick for Sun-setting)
Rain: Pelipper, of course, not sure if it gets use in Doubles though.
Sand: Tyranitar, I think, has always been a good pick in Doubles.
Hail: Ninetales-A, good pick for setting Veil support, plus 100% accurate Blizzards.

Regarding Lugia itself, I have to ask whether Zap Cannon's literal coinflip accuracy is worth it, but that's something you will have to decide yourself. Also, if it's doubles, you may well want to find a place for Protect somewhere if you can.
I know Zap Cannon's accuracy is halve, however I did want some good coverage that is pretty powerful. I thought Politoad was the better Rain supporter due to its bulk and type?

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I know Zap Cannon's accuracy is halve, however I did want some good coverage that is pretty powerful. I thought Politoad was the better Rain supporter due to its bulk and type?
If this is in a format where Lugia is allowed, I don't see much of a reason as to why Kyogre wouldn't be allowed. So Primal/Vanilla Kyogre would probably be the better choice for a rain setter than Politoed/Pelipper, unless you specifically want one of their utility like Perish Song/Helping Hand or Tailwind respectively.
Edit: Primal/Vanilla Groudon is probably a great Sun setter as well.

If this is in a format where Lugia is allowed, I don't see much of a reason as to why Kyogre wouldn't be allowed. So Primal/Vanilla Kyogre would probably be the better choice for a rain setter than Politoed/Pelipper, unless you specifically want one of their utility like Perish Song/Helping Hand or Tailwind respectively.
Edit: Primal/Vanilla Groudon is probably a great Sun setter as well.
I didn't say that I wouldn't use Kyogre or Groudon. I'm open to using them.

pilica12

Oops, yeah. Didn't think about Primals or even just the Vanilla duo.

If they're available, using them is almost a given.

Pelipper gets Wide Guard (shutting down Rock Slide and the rare Discharge) and Soak (which would combo nicely with Zap Cannon if you can get it to land). I'd argue it's the better rain setter for other mons (let's be honest, Kyogre sets rain for himself, he don't play second fiddle to nobody)

pilica12

Pelipper gets Wide Guard (shutting down Rock Slide and the rare Discharge) and Soak (which would combo nicely with Zap Cannon if you can get it to land). I'd argue it's the better rain setter for other mons (let's be honest, Kyogre sets rain for himself, he don't play second fiddle to nobody)
Fair point, indeed, and which brings up another point worth some consideration. In formats where Lugia is allowed, Kyogre more than likely is, and unless you are deadset on being able to abuse multiple weather conditions (and "abuse" is a bit of a stretch given that it's just one move), specialization may well be preferred. For example, in the case of rain: Kyogre gets rain boost just by existing (i.e. self-sufficient while Lugia requires partner support), 60 more Special Attack than Lugia (or even 90 if in Primal) and a 110-base power spread move in Origin Pulse backed by STAB, plus 100% accurate Electric move in Thunder, trading in ten points less power over coinflip accuracy. So there is that to think about as well. Lugia's only trumps that I can think of on the fly are speed and being more solid overall in the defense.

I completely forgot about soak. This would allow Zap Cannon to hit almost every pokemon should it hit.

Sun and Rain setters are still tough decision, more so with Rain. Do i want set up and utility (pelipper) or standalone offensive powerhouse (kyogre/primal)?

I completely forgot about soak. This would allow Zap Cannon to hit almost every pokemon should it hit.

Sun and Rain setters are still tough decision, more so with Rain. Do i want set up and utility (pelipper) or standalone offensive powerhouse (kyogre/primal)?
I'd go with support. Kyogre is just gonna overshadow it with Origin Pulse and Thunder, might as well send a bulky MegaMewtwo-X or somethign instead instead.

Now that Shiny Celebi is a thing, (and as i found out last night it has 5 guaranteed IVs of 31), what are the best natures to go for considering it can't carry HP Fire? I'm currently thinking Timid, Bold and Calm.

Now that Shiny Celebi is a thing, (and as i found out last night it has 5 guaranteed IVs of 31), what are the best natures to go for considering it can't carry HP Fire? I'm currently thinking Timid, Bold and Calm.
I reset a shiny hp ice one(31/31/31/31/31/30) Timid and also another timid one (31/0/31/31/31/31). The other useful nature is bold yeah while calm is very rare I would say not as nearly relevant as the other two.

pilica12

There used to be a set in Gen VI that used an Impish Nature and made used of BP + Swords Dance with Seed Bomb, although given BP has been banned, it obviously is no longer an option (and, in any case, NP is and was the preferable option).

I would say Timid, Bold and Calm are definitely the natures for choice for VC Cel, probably more the former two as Kanon already said. Honestly I feel the real shame is that Nasty Plot remains exclusive to Gen IV.

How about having good luck which was my case(around 1000 resets for celebi)
I understand that with so many people playing that some will have good luck (like the guy who got his in around 60 resets). I was more interested in how some people have full sets of all the legends shiny. I was wondering if there was some method for increased shiny/RNG that I just wasn't aware of.

I understand that with so many people playing that some will have good luck (like the guy who got his in around 60 resets). I was more interested in how some people have full sets of all the legends shiny. I was wondering if there was some method for increased shiny/RNG that I just wasn't aware of.
This isn’t the thread to discuss - if you care enough about it, drop me a PM/VM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)