Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

I'm building teams for Colosseum's Battle Mode. For the colosseum that do NOT allow Ubers, what would be a good 6th Pokémon for this team?

Tyranitar (Dragon Dance)
Metagross (Choice Band)
Swampert
Gengar
Regice
???

I'm thinking maybe Raikou or Jolteon but I'm not sure. What do you all think?

I'm building teams for Colosseum's Battle Mode. For the colosseum that do NOT allow Ubers, what would be a good 6th Pokémon for this team?

Tyranitar (Dragon Dance)
Metagross (Choice Band)
Swampert
Gengar
Regice
???

I'm thinking maybe Raikou or Jolteon but I'm not sure. What do you all think?
If you’re going to go with Raikou, make sure to SR the one from Colosseum. Raikou from FRLG have horrible IVs due to the Roaming Pokémon IV Glitch.

If you’re going to go with Raikou, make sure to SR the one from Colosseum. Raikou from FRLG have horrible IVs due to the Roaming Pokémon IV Glitch.
I'm familiar with that glitch and am currently playing through Colosseum for a shot at a decent Raikou (though getting HP Grass/Ice, a good nature, and acceptable IVs is going to take forever). Given that my Raikou is not going to be perfect, though, I'm wondering if Jolteon would be better (I can easily breed a flawless one in Emerald).

I have a PGL account but don’t get the newsletter. My sun game is synced to it but my ultra moon is not. How can I connect my second game and start getting newsletters in time for heatran and regigigas?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I have a PGL account but don’t get the newsletter. My sun game is synced to it but my ultra moon is not. How can I connect my second game and start getting newsletters in time for heatran and regigigas?
The thing is I don't think there's been a newsletter for months, I've been subscribed ever since another event required you to be subscribed to the News Letter and I haven't gotten any and I'm pretty sure I didn't unsubscribe.

Anyway, I said what you need to do in the Event Discussion thread.

Also the PGL has a guide how to register a game.

I want to complete Mt. Battle’s 100 battle challenge so I can SR Shiny Johto starters. However, in the past I always used legendary Pokémon which lowered the coupons I would get. This time, I want to prepare a team that doesn’t depend on legendary Pokémon. I’d like a team suggestion (preferably 3-4 Pokémon so I can carry others for the sole purpose of ribbons). I can get Natures and egg moves, but I can’t get perfect IVs, so I’d prefer not using Hidden Power on any of my Pokémon.

Edit: I do have access to all Gen III games, so feel free to suggest Pokémon even if they aren’t in XD.

I want to complete Mt. Battle’s 100 battle challenge so I can SR Shiny Johto starters. However, in the past I always used legendary Pokémon which lowered the coupons I would get. This time, I want to prepare a team that doesn’t depend on legendary Pokémon. I’d like a team suggestion (preferably 3-4 Pokémon so I can carry others for the sole purpose of ribbons). I can get Natures and egg moves, but I can’t get perfect IVs, so I’d prefer not using Hidden Power on any of my Pokémon.

Edit: I do have access to all Gen III games, so feel free to suggest Pokémon even if they aren’t in XD.
If you scroll up a bit, you'll see a team I'm planning for Colosseum battles that uses only 1-2 legendaries (team isn't 100% set). Maybe that can help get you pointed in the right direction. You can always drop the legendary spots and use those for your ribbon Pokémon.

- - - - -

A question of my own on the subject of 3rd gen: When SRing for Suicune and Raikou in Colosseum, how good should I insist my IVs/natures be? I want Pokémon that are going to respectable and good in Colosseum's Battle Mode as well as Emerald's Battle Frontier, but I know I can't get perfect, or probably even close. Raikou is going to be even harder since I want Hidden Power Grass with a good base power.

If you scroll up a bit, you'll see a team I'm planning for Colosseum battles that uses only 1-2 legendaries (team isn't 100% set). Maybe that can help get you pointed in the right direction. You can always drop the legendary spots and use those for your ribbon Pokémon.

- - - - -

A question of my own on the subject of 3rd gen: When SRing for Suicune and Raikou in Colosseum, how good should I insist my IVs/natures be? I want Pokémon that are going to respectable and good in Colosseum's Battle Mode as well as Emerald's Battle Frontier, but I know I can't get perfect, or probably even close. Raikou is going to be even harder since I want Hidden Power Grass with a good base power.
I think going for nature + HP type + Power may be the way to go. Sacrificing IVs may be necessary for you to not go insane over the SRs. It may be a lot to go for, but HP type isn’t too useful if it has a weak power.

Apparently the fact that Ultra Beasts are not legendary Pokemon is super mindblowing or controversial. I have to ask: Why? We are told explicitly in-game that they aren't legendary, just Pokemon common to another universe. I don't get why this is such a huge deal to some people.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Apparently the fact that Ultra Beasts are not legendary Pokemon is super mindblowing or controversial. I have to ask: Why? We are told explicitly in-game that they aren't legendary, just Pokemon common to another universe. I don't get why this is such a huge deal to some people.
Generally, whether a Pokemon is considered legendary or not doesn't actually matter any more, at least not as far as Smogon is concerned. Some people like to do casual online battles though, and a common rule people like to use is to disallow Legendary Pokemon. So it gets quite confusing for those players when one of them brings in an Ultra Beast.

Besides, the "legendary" affix for a mon generally refers to the common pattern of unbreedable, limited availability and 3x31 IV guaranteed.
(yes, I know that the UBs from original SM now are unlimited, but you get the deal)

A while ago whoever designed the lore of Pokemon moved away from the "there's one and only of X legendary", both in the anime and in-game, legendaryes specifically tend to just be very rare in the pokemon world and generally (but not always) more powerful than normal Pokemon.
There's been plenty of showing of both captured/subdued legendaryes in the anime, multiple of the same legendary existing, showing that they do reproduce in some way (see baby Lugia), and even.... a second Mewtwo.
And well, in game, it's clearly shown that there's the possibility of trainers to have several of those (see battle facilities) on top of the whole multiverse situation with Gen 7 and TRR expecially somewhat making sense of why two trainers facing each other have two Tapu Leles.

I think going for nature + HP type + Power may be the way to go. Sacrificing IVs may be necessary for you to not go insane over the SRs. It may be a lot to go for, but HP type isn’t too useful if it has a weak power.
I did the math, and the odds of getting a combination of IVs that yields HP Grass with a base power of 60+ are 1.953125% (ignoring natures entirely). That's not good.

math:
All of the following must be met for Hidden Power Grass with a base power of 60+.

P(HP/Atk/Def IVs are E/E/O, E/O/E, E/O/O, O/E/O, or O/O/E) = 5/8
note: there are 8 different combinations for 3 IVs: E/E/E, E/E/E, E/O/E, E/O/O, O/E/E, O/E/O, O/O/E, and O/O/O

P(SpA IV = 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30) = 8/32 = 1/4

P(SpD IV = 3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, 31) = 8/32 = 1/4

P(Spe IV is odd) = 16/32 = 1/2

therefore,

P(Hidden Power Grass 60+) = 5/8 * 1/4 * 1/4 * 1/2 = 1.953125%

Currently, I'm accepting all natures that don't lower Special Attack, lower Speed, or raise Attack. Should I expand my search to allow some of these types of natures? I can't see myself going with one that lowers Special Attack though, as that would defeat the purpose of my search for a high base power.

I'm new here!
I'm facing a dilemma right now.

I caught a Tapu Koko but forgot to save prior.
I managed to catch a decent one.
Nature: Naive
Atk, def, and sp atk have IV of 30-31
Speed 29 IV

Should I keep it or soft reset to try and catch a better one?

I'm new here!
I'm facing a dilemma right now.

I caught a Tapu Koko but forgot to save prior.
I managed to catch a decent one.
Nature: Naive
Atk, def, and sp atk have IV of 30-31
Speed 29 IV

Should I keep it or soft reset to try and catch a better one?
First, welcome to Smogon!
Second, this isn't quite the place to ask this question. You'd be better off asking in Wi-Fi's simple questions/requests thread next time.
Third, you're guaranteed at least 3 flawless IV's each time. However, I'd probably toss that one and try again, unless you got a good Hidden Power type. (which you can check at the day-care. Same lady that gives the Hidden Power TM) Speed should ideally be flawless. I mean, if you were aiming for Naive and just want to move on, you can always just Hyper Train it after getting it to level 100.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I've been grinding through the "Past Missions" in Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs. I'm the only person I know who has a copy of this game so I struggled for weeks on "A Shock Everywhere You Turn." Finally defeated Magnezone with a lucky pattern, but I'm worried about "Panic at the Perplexing Temple" and the upcoming Dark and Light Temples. What are your recommendations for grinding AP at the point where I'm at in the game? How should I tackle Panic at the Perplexing Temple? Any specific Pokemon I should level up?
the Magnezone mission is ABSOLUTE HELL, so if you managed to beat that yourself, you should be able to breeze thru the next mission or so. Whatever Ground-type you used against Magnezone should work against Electivire. The Electivire mission itself also provides reasonable grinding experience.

Dark temple:
- Vespiquen is a super annoying boss to hit with assists since it is fast and auto-targets your assists, so anything with a fast deploy and escape time is your only real best bet.
- Piplup makes for a great response to Gliscor, with its slowing effect and great deploy and escape time to dodge Gliscor's dark Razor wind.
- Salamence's flame homes in on you and it can do a quick shockwave attack with little to no warning, but its other attacks have a long duration with which you can use your assists. I used Abomasnow here. Edit: Aaronboyer quick tip against Mence: if your assist is still on the field while Salamence is getting ready to shoot its fireball, you can lure away Salamence by putting your stylus right next to Salamence (be sure to lift your stylus away at the last second so you don't get hit lol)
- Between the constant gas bordering the edge of the screen and Dusknoir's occasional teleporting, your only real opportunity for an assist is when it shoots the dark wind or stream of gas, the latter of which is when it becomes vulnerable to nearly every assist that is effective against Ghost.

Light temple:
- Max-out Gallade, and hope you don't fight the Dusknoir sub-boss. Good luck. If you let arceus hit your assist once or twice you're probably hosed, so do your best.

Last edited:
Anyone know the math of getting a Timid x/0/x/x/x/x Lunala (with Sync)? I’m not concerned about HP type or where the three flawless IVs go (as long as they aren’t Atk).

I recently SR'd a Raikou in Colosseum with HP Grass to use in the Battle Frontier and Colosseum's Battle Mode. It has a 31 IV in Speed, but the unfortunate part is that it has a Brave nature. (You can say I shouldn't have kept it despite having HP Grass 66, but I had been SRing for weeks and this was the only one with HP Grass 60+ I ever got; the chance of getting it is less than 2%) Should I still invest 252 Speed EVs? I'm incapable of outspeeding base 100s whether they have a neutral or +Spe nature. I'm not sure what Raikou might want to outspeed that's in my range.

Which status moves are good for in-game use? I know that moves that raise attack stats, moves that put opponents to sleep, and 1/2 recovery moves are useful, but do other status moves, like disable, thunder wave, leech seed, screens, whirlwind/roar, screech, or substitute have any place on in-game teams?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)