Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead

I seem to recall there being a system in place for weather synergy when possible, however this Beartic does not have Slush Rush when paired with a Hail setter (Ninetales-A). Is this intended? Screencap is from mono randbats but it shouldn't really matter because that just uses regular randbats sets anyway, afaik.

edit: thanks ascriptmaster :]

Last edited:

I seem to recall there being a system in place for weather synergy when possible, however this Beartic does not have Slush Rush when paired with a Hail setter (Ninetales-A). Is this intended? Screencap is from mono randbats but it shouldn't really matter because that just uses regular randbats sets anyway, afaik.
for starters, weather synergy only works for pokemon in later slots, and my assumption based on this screenshot is that Ninetales was chosen after Beartic. thus the engine doesn't go back and "fix" Beartic since it was already built

View attachment 103541
View attachment 103542
couple mons with no stab over 40 power
Found the problem to this and Floatzel having only Aqua Jet, etc...

Would it be possible to force a psychic move as one of the main attacks for obvious reasons?
Psychic isn't set as a required STAB. A number of Psychic Pokemon do not always run Psychic moves. Jirachi/Lugia/Slowbro come to mind. Even Metagross doesn't have Zen Headbutt in every Smogon set.

Sorry if I'm mistaking, but in the following replay
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-717360139
the opponent's Drizzle Politoed was level 79, i.e. the same as an RU pokemon. But since Drizzle is banned in UU (and in RU), shouldn't it have been level 75?
No. It wouldn't make sense to lower its level to 75 in the context of Random Battle. It's banned because of Drizzle's team support, basically. Politoed would only get complimentary Pokemon in Random Battle because of rng.

No. It wouldn't make sense to lower its level to 75 in the context of Random Battle. It's banned because of Drizzle's team support, basically. Politoed would only get complimentary Pokemon in Random Battle because of rng.
But then why is it level 79? Politoed itself is PU, so shouldn't it be level 83? In any case the level 79 does not make any sense.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Foul Play + Knock Off feels generally awkward. Are there any Pokémon in randoms using both well? If so, are they all relying on the support value of Knock Off and not the damage?

(Blocking that would make roost-less mandi and bandimandi less common)

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Foul Play + Knock Off feels generally awkward. Are there any Pokémon in randoms using both well? If so, are they all relying on the support value of Knock Off and not the damage?

(Blocking that would make roost-less mandi and bandimandi less common)
I'd say it fits on supportive sets as that Mandibuzz or if defensive Yveltal sets exist. Otherwise I would just stop giving U-turn to Mandibuzz, it's generally not that effective on it compared to its superior supportive movepool in moves as Roost, Defog, Taunt, and Whirlwind.

But then why is it level 79? Politoed itself is PU, so shouldn't it be level 83? In any case the level 79 does not make any sense.
I can't give the exact reasoning because I'm not involved in the level balancing, but Drizzle does make a solo Politoed slightly better than it would be due to boosting the water moves. As such, 79 is probably chosen for being halfway between 75 and 83 :P

Please love Mandi more :(

In general there are several wacky item choices. I get variety and all but some picks are questionable at best. Sash and AV are the main culprits, with choice items like the above and Bandibuzz a close second. Meanwhile every single Clefable is LO, when LO is barely mentioned in the strategy guide for Clef. Deoxys-N of all things can get Lefties, but not Clef.

Reactions: dom
got this today
Fixing.

Please love Mandi more :(

In general there are several wacky item choices. I get variety and all but some picks are questionable at best. Sash and AV are the main culprits, with choice items like the above and Bandibuzz a close second. Meanwhile every single Clefable is LO, when LO is barely mentioned in the strategy guide for Clef. Deoxys-N of all things can get Lefties, but not Clef.
I'll give Clefable Leftovers if it only has Moonblast.

Mandibuzz is unfortunate. I can remove Scarf if it has Foul Play. But if it rolls Brave Bird / Knock Off / U-turn / Defog, it'd still get Scarf. Problem is fixing that without harming other stuff like Flygon. Easy solution is to remove U-turn from its moves.

duck

duck
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fixing.

Mandibuzz is unfortunate. I can remove Scarf if it has Foul Play. But if it rolls Brave Bird / Knock Off / U-turn / Defog, it'd still get Scarf. Problem is fixing that without harming other stuff like Flygon. Easy solution is to remove U-turn from its moves.
Can't you just fix requirements for scarf in terms of bulk and atk stats?

There are two pokemon I want to comment on now that I know about this forum:

Whimsicott: whimsicott is a great prankster/ support mon but I have noticed while playing random battles that it never has a grass type move, only moonblast. this can really hinder its usefulness when you know that you can safely switch a water type pokemon in on it without having to worry about taking super effective damage. I think that Whimsicott should have the ability to learn giga drain/energy ball so that the threat of a grass type attack is at least possible.

Unown: I think we can all agree that unown is a pokemon that you don't want on your team, but what makes him worse is how predictable he is. Unown always has a choice specs and hidden power psychic, every time I see an unown I switch in a dark type no matter what because I know that it can do literally nothing to me. Something that could be done to give unown a slight chance to be useful would be to give it some coverage hidden powers like ice, fire and grass so it can hit pokemon with 4x weaknesses and items like choice scarf so that it can surprise the opponent and maybe take out a pokemon with it's one coverage move.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
also the set in general having no reliable dark stab(no knock) off, and i've faced many bisharp like this one too.

also can yveltal just have oblivion wing over hurricane? the accuracy and recovery far outweighs the drop in damage imo

ty everyone for your work!

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
also the set in general having no reliable dark stab(no knock) off, and i've faced many bisharp like this one too.

also can yveltal just have oblivion wing over hurricane? the accuracy and recovery far outweighs the drop in damage imo

ty everyone for your work!
Just don't give it substitute, it's not a mon that should run it

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There are two pokemon I want to comment on now that I know about this forum:

Whimsicott: whimsicott is a great prankster/ support mon but I have noticed while playing random battles that it never has a grass type move, only moonblast. this can really hinder its usefulness when you know that you can safely switch a water type pokemon in on it without having to worry about taking super effective damage. I think that Whimsicott should have the ability to learn giga drain/energy ball so that the threat of a grass type attack is at least possible.

Unown: I think we can all agree that unown is a pokemon that you don't want on your team, but what makes him worse is how predictable he is. Unown always has a choice specs and hidden power psychic, every time I see an unown I switch in a dark type no matter what because I know that it can do literally nothing to me. Something that could be done to give unown a slight chance to be useful would be to give it some coverage hidden powers like ice, fire and grass so it can hit pokemon with 4x weaknesses and items like choice scarf so that it can surprise the opponent and maybe take out a pokemon with it's one coverage move.
The problem with anything besides specs HP Psychic on unown is that, while it may occasionally prove useful in rare situations, it overall makes it more deadweight than it already is due to the immense weakness.

It’s possible that Energy Ball is useful enough to merit a spot for Whimsicott, but overall you should be crippling and bothering with non-damaging moves more than you are directly attacking (and no chance for things like Specs makes this more true) anyway.

Suggestion: Magnet Rise Klefki is a gimmick, but not a terrible one and can catch some would be counters with their pants down. Good enough for randbats imo!

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 84 HP / 84 Atk / 84 Def / 84 SpA / 84 SpD / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magnet Rise
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Draining Kiss

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)