Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Which status moves are good for in-game use? I know that moves that raise attack stats, moves that put opponents to sleep, and 1/2 recovery moves are useful, but do other status moves, like disable, thunder wave, leech seed, screens, whirlwind/roar, screech, or substitute have any place on in-game teams?
It all depends on the situation. Going off the moves you mentioned:

Disable: Not all that useful honestly. Your better to switching to a Pokemon that resist/immune to the type of move the opponent is using than trying to prevent them from using the move. You'll probably get type advantage in the process.
Thunder Wave: Very useful! 90% chance to Paralyze! You cut your opponent's Speed and there's a chance they may not be able to move at all. Some may argue it's better than putting the opponent to Sleep because Paralysis will last unless cured by a move or item.
Leech Seed: Eh, can be useful if you expect the battle to be long but for most battles you're just better off just trying to knock out the opponent. I suppose Leech Seed could be useful if against a wall, slowly deplete their HP while healing yours from whatever damage they do.
Screens: Once again, this depends on the battle. If you think the battle will be long and your opponent can hit hard/your Pokemon are frail could be worth it.
Whirlwind/Roar: Not really. Very situational at best where your opponent boosted their stats a lot of times and forcing them to switch would reset their stats. But once again, knocking them out is usually the better option.
Screech: Eh, if you want. Lowering Defense by 2 stages (essentially halving it) isn't bad though you could have also spent that turn attacking. A turn of Screech + Attack would have done just as much damage as attacking on both turns.
Substitute: That's tricky. Substitute has its place in competitive but in-game? I would lean on saying not really, better on just using a bulky Pokemon. Could give Substitute to the Bulky Pokemon, that could work, though in-game is more geared toward offense battles than defense.

But, just in general, it's your call. If a Pokemon wants to learn a status move or you get a status move TM read what it says (or go to Bulbapedia to exactly know what it does) and decide for yourself if you think it'll be useful to you.

BTW, if you're asking for something like the Battle Facility (Battle Tower, Battle Tree, etc.) than use competitive strategies because the AI will be.

Are there any other good status moves for in-game use? The ones I mentioned in my previous post were just whatever I saw first when I looked at Bulbapedia's list of status moves.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Are there any other good status moves for in-game use? The ones I mentioned in my previous post were just whatever I saw first when I looked at Bulbapedia's list of status moves.
Once again, the best thing you can do is just look at each Status Move that comes your way and decide whether you want it or not. Because each players has a different way of planning. Like I don't really use the stat boosting moves in-game, I just make sure my Pokemon's moves are varied in type and going off the strongest offense stat. Also, what game are you playing as that's important.

Status moves in general aren’t that great in-game with the possible exception of the current generation where battles are a little tougher. For the most part, it’s a waste of time to use status moves in-game when you can just blast through most enemies with sheer offensive power, especially since you get a free switch to a Poke with a type advantage every time you KO something and opponents almost never switch themselves. There’s no reason to slowly stall something out with Leech Seed or Toxic when there’s very few opponents you won’t be able to just 1-2HKO outright.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
yeah, most of them are good in certain situations. disclaimer: most of these are focused on whether they win battles instead of efficiency

growl/charm/snarl/memento/struggle bug can be very useful against strong attackers that you can't just overwhelm (think mars's purugly in dpp) but they suck in wild battles and stuff

defense raising moves (cosmic power, defend order, calm mind, withdraw, etc) are good in similar situations. if you can set up to +6 in a major battle then you can potentially just stall it out

post buff minimize is dumb if you have a way to actually ko the opposing mons (think minimize/cosmic power/stored power clefable in bw2)

rain dance on swift swimmers is cool because it's basically shift gear. in platinum, rain dance floatzel/other swimmers (i could even see lumineon working out) destroys flint/bertha even if you're slightly underleveled

thunder wave, stun spore, etc are always very nice to have for strong but frail guys

confuse ray and swagger are really inconsistent and i'd advise against using them

agility and other speed boosting moves usually aren't that good unless you also have a way to ohko everything (like using x items)

hazards are very situational because they're only really good vs full teams and even then if you face mono steel or something they still suck. toxic spikes are the best hazards unless there's something you need paralyzed or you have broken sticky web

encore is 100% broken especially on something fast. other moves that can take advantage of the ai not switching (yawn) are very nice too

haze is good if you can fit it simply because of double team

wisp is pretty valuable especially on something like duskull that can take hits well. unlike toxic it's good even vs big trainers bc it halves their attack too

water/mud sport are garbage and there are almost always better options

dragon dance/quiver dance/shift gear are the best status moves overall. if you can get these do it

haven't used rest+sleep talk but it sounds kinda legit

ghost curse is usually not worth it, but it can't be healed by any item which is cool

acupressure is broken in big battles if you have a setup opportunity (takes a while though) and useless otherwise

coil is kinda cool but nothing that gets it can really use it well. glare + coil is a pretty good combo

protect/spiky shield usually isn't worth it without a move like wish/toxic/leech seed. baneful bunker and king's shield are good tho because of the side effects

mist is usually bad

stuff like rototiller and heal pulse are pretty much wasted moveslots, don't use these unless there are no better options (doubtful)

ingrain and aqua ring are usually bad but they can be good with defensive setup

trick/switcheroo/fling are bad before that change where you get your items back after the battle (?). if i'm remembering right and you do get them back then something like iron ball could be very good

perish song sounds very good although i haven't used it so idk if they switch out

trapping moves (mean look, fire spin etc) are usually bad

30% status moves shouldn't be used unless the move is actually good without the effect (lava plume>lick)

inaccurate sleep (grass whistle, hypnosis too kinda) will let you down. try not to rely on it too much

that's all

I can confirm the AI knows how to switch out of Perish Songs. You probably don't need Rest/Sleep Talk ingame since items exist. To be honest I agree with the other guy, in most games/battles you'll be able to blast through with damaging moves and status moves are only really helpful to support a sweep/debuff a tough mon. Status effects are nice to have in general too.

Last edited:
Which status moves are good for in-game use? I know that moves that raise attack stats, moves that put opponents to sleep, and 1/2 recovery moves are useful, but do other status moves, like disable, thunder wave, leech seed, screens, whirlwind/roar, screech, or substitute have any place on in-game teams?
Honestly, in this generation attack raising moves are kind of pointless because the X items aren't very expensive and will boost a respective stat by 2 stages immediately in the times you may really want that boost. That said, a Pokemon able to learn moves that raise more than one stat at a time could be helpful if the opponent doesn't immediately threaten it. Thunder Wave is great for catching wild Pokemon, and Toxic is good for long battles.

Still, for in-game, it's generally better to use type advantages and brute force unless you really want to go with status moves.

So I made myself a list of good status moves based on your replies.
1/2 recovery moves, (accurate) sleep-causing moves, paralysis-causing moves, will-o-wisp, rain dance (occasionally), encore, stat-resetting moves (occasionally), rest, attack raising moves, king's shield, baton pass (when combined with an attack-raising move)
I'm guessing heal bell and aromatherapy can be useful because having to buy medicine all the time is kind of annoying.

So I made myself a list of good status moves based on your replies.
1/2 recovery moves, (accurate) sleep-causing moves, paralysis-causing moves, will-o-wisp, rain dance (occasionally), encore, stat-resetting moves (occasionally), rest, attack raising moves, king's shield, baton pass (when combined with an attack-raising move)
I'm guessing heal bell and aromatherapy can be useful because having to buy medicine all the time is kind of annoying.
In addition to Pokemon Refresh, as Worldie mentioned, the Festival Plaza lotteries in gen 7 will often give you Full Heals for the 9th place prize. Most of the treats from the cafe also heal a Pokemon of any status, and most of the early berry trees offer status healing berries if you're dead set against using Pokemon Refresh. But really, you're not going to encounter too many in-game battles that will inflict lasting status. (and in the ones where you do there's little point in trying to heal the status in battle as they could easily inflict it again) And if you're using Rest, you really only need a supply of Chesto Berries to have the Pokemon hold so it'll wake up immediately.

Why do the Mystery Dungeon games have little presence on Orange Islands? I just played Explorers of Sky (my first PMD game) and it was really fun! But I was surprised to see very few discussions related to Sky on these forums.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Why do the Mystery Dungeon games have little presence on Orange Islands? I just played Explorers of Sky (my first PMD game) and it was really fun! But I was surprised to see very few discussions related to Sky on these forums.
It's been about 2 years since the last Mystery Dungeon game was released, so it's more difficult to keep discussions of Mystery Dungeon games alive. The games may be big, but the majority of people who like the games will move on to other games eventually, especially on this website as very few people who use Smogon come specifically for the Orange island section to discuss Spin-offs, when they could go to the subreddit. There's a discussion thread here, if you want to talk about your impressions of Explorers of Sky: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mystery-dungeon-discussion-and-rescues.3580987/

Last edited:
We do talk about MD every so often on the OI discord though, as there's a couple enthusiasts of it (even I love them as well), just as Sondero said, the last MD is pretty old and lack of new releases / competitive aspect / related events obviously really hinders the interest at this point

It's been about 2 years since the last Mystery Dungeon game was released, so it's more difficult to keep discussions of Mystery Dungeon games alive. The games may be big, but the majority of people who like the games will move on to other games eventually, especially on this website as very few people who use Smogon come specifically for the Orange island section to discuss Spin-offs, when they could go to the subreddit. There's a discussion thread here, if you want to talk about your impressions of Explorers of Sky: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mystery-dungeon-discussion-and-rescues.3580987/
Hmm makes sense. I just wish there were more strategy guides and in-game analyses. There's not a ton of information online for beginners, and I can see that for players who don't understand the mechanics (especially younger players) the games would be quite difficult.

We do talk about MD every so often on the OI discord though, as there's a couple enthusiasts of it (even I love them as well), just as Sondero said, the last MD is pretty old and lack of new releases / competitive aspect / related events obviously really hinders the interest at this point
I'll have to check it out, I don't use discord that often. Thanks!

im doing a lets play!!!!!!
I know! And it's progressing nicely :)
Really impressed with your play through of Blue Rescue Team too!

Hmm makes sense. I just wish there were more strategy guides and in-game analyses. There's not a ton of information online for beginners, and I can see that for players who don't understand the mechanics (especially younger players) the games would be quite difficult.

I'll have to check it out, I don't use discord that often. Thanks!

I know! And it's progressing nicely :)
Really impressed with your play through of Blue Rescue Team too!
The mechanics aren't that hard, just managing hunger and bag space... and maybe knowing how to "direct" the other members of the team so they'll use their PP a bit more efficiently. Like saving room-wide attacks for when you run into a Monster House and not when there's all of one enemy in the room. Gates to Infinity is very easy to jump into thanks to not having to worry about hunger save for a few special post-game dungeons, (having a legendary in the form of Virizion join near the beginning also helps) but the other games are definitely more challenging.

Reactions: Nel
What happens when a Pokemon holding a ???????? is transferred from Generation 3 to Generation 4?
For each Poke Finder Pokemon, what is its max amount of "likes" and the chance of getting it?
What are the locations of all the NPCs in SM outside of Pokemon Centers that heal the player's Pokemon?
In HGSS, when does Black Belt Kenji rematch the player? If it's random, then what's the chance that he'll agree to a rematch on any day?
Which area out of all the core series games has the most traversable tiles?
What's the best way to complete Mission Card 19 in Shuffle and get a Sceptilite?
Someone tried to sign in to Global Link and got the message, "Unable to find an account using the provided information." What should he/she/it do in order to sign in?
Did sleep and confuse in the TCG work differently in 1997?
What's the chance of getting each kind of bean in the Poke Pelago? Is it possible to get all the patterned beans and rainbow beans?
Which 5 Pokemon can learn the most moves?
What are all the Pokemon that can learn every type of move? The only ones I know of are Mew, Smeargle, Jirachi, and Drampa.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What happens when a Pokemon holding a ???????? is transferred from Generation 3 to Generation 4?
Can't transfer items between gens.
For each Poke Finder Pokemon, what is its max amount of "likes" and the chance of getting it?
This Serebii page is the best you're going to get on info (note the original Sun & Moon has less Pokemon available). No one has recorded the max amount of likes, though if I recall the Pokemon who gives the most points are the ones on Poni Island's Poni Coast (as points are more based on location than Pokemon, later game the area the more points the Pokemon there award; this ain't Pokemon Snap).
What are the locations of all the NPCs in SM outside of Pokemon Centers that heal the player's Pokemon?
No one has mapped them because they're plenty of both them and Pokemon Centers around it doesn't matter.
In HGSS, when does Black Belt Kenji rematch the player? If it's random, then what's the chance that he'll agree to a rematch on any day?
Some people on other forums said between 12:00-12:59 pm, though looks like it may also be random.
Note you can also get PP Ups from the Pokeathlon for 1000 points.
Which area out of all the core series games has the most traversable tiles?
Lumiose City as its the current biggest city in the games.
What's the best way to complete Mission Card 19 in Shuffle and get a Sceptilite?
Take your pick of Youtube videos.
Someone tried to sign in to Global Link and got the message, "Unable to find an account using the provided information." What should he/she/it do in order to sign in?
They can't get into their trainer account? Well if they're sure they put in the right username they'd have to contact site staff.
What's the chance of getting each kind of bean in the Poke Pelago? Is it possible to get all the patterned beans and rainbow beans?
Yes, very easily. It's random but if you just keep collecting beans you'll have one of each kind in no time. Note that the only major difference with the beans if they're normal, Patterned, or Rainbow. All those different colors don't matter, aside letting you collect 255 of each kind of bean.
Which 5 Pokemon can learn the most moves?
Mew and technically Smeargle are two and they're the only ones worth knowing. After Mew (who can learn every TM and BP Tutor moves) and Smeargle (who can learn most moves via Sketch), best to work each Pokemon on an individual basis than worry about the amount of options they have. If you really want to know the other three, I'd suggest looking through the Normal-types as they can learn a lot of moves via TM and BP Tutor moves.
What are all the Pokemon that can learn every type of move? The only ones I know of are Mew, Smeargle, Jirachi, and Drampa.
Jirachi and Drampa? *Checks* ... Okay, you're reaching. First, for some of those moves it's only a Status move they get (for a Poison-type move they only learn Toxic). Second, for Jirachi I noticed it didn't learn any Ground-type moves... until I get back to Emerald's and Platinum's move tutors where it learns one: Mud-Slap. :pikuh:
Once again, Mew and Smeargle are the only ones you need to worry about.
FUN FACT: despite being able to turn into a Fairy-type, Arceus doesn't learn any Fairy-type move aside Judgement which changes along with its Type.

BTW, is there a reason you're asking these questions?

Last edited:
Can't transfer items between gens.
You can using Pal Park. Bulbapedia says that transferring this specific item makes the game glitch out, so I want to know what the glitches are.
This Serebii page is the best you're going to get on info (note the original Sun & Moon has less Pokemon available). No one has recorded the max amount of likes, though if I recall the Pokemon who gives the most points are the ones on Poni Island's Poni Coast (as points are more based on location than Pokemon, later game the area the more points the Pokemon there award; this ain't Pokemon Snap).
Okay thanks.
No one has mapped them because they're plenty of both them and Pokemon Centers around it doesn't matter.
It does matter to me.
Some people on other forums said between 12:00-12:59 pm, though looks like it may also be random.
But what's the chance?
Lumiose City as its the current biggest city in the games.
Okay. Are there any areas that are bigger than cities?
Okay thanks.
They can't get into their trainer account? Well if they're sure they put in the right username they'd have to contact site staff.
Okay thanks.
Yes, very easily. It's random but if you just keep collecting beans you'll have one of each kind in no time. Note that the only major difference with the beans if they're normal, Patterned, or Rainbow. All those different colors don't matter, aside letting you collect 255 of each kind of bean.
But what's the chance?
Mew and technically Smeargle are two and they're the only ones worth knowing. After Mew (who can learn every TM and BP Tutor moves) and Smeargle (who can learn most moves via Sketch), best to work each Pokemon on an individual basis than worry about the amount of options they have. If you really want to know the other three, I'd suggest looking through the Normal-types as they can learn a lot of moves via TM and BP Tutor moves.
But there are so many normal types...
Jirachi and Drampa? *Checks* ... Okay, you're reaching. First, for some of those moves it's only a Status move they get (for a Poison-type move they only learn Toxic). Second, for Jirachi I noticed it didn't learn any Ground-type moves... until I get back to Emerald's and Platinum's move tutors where it learns one: Mud-Slap. :pikuh:
Once again, Mew and Smeargle are the only ones you need to worry about.
Nope. I'm going to worry about all of them.
BTW, is there a reason you're asking these questions?
This is the reason.

If someone tries to log onto Global Link and sees, "This Game Sync ID has already been registered to another account." then what is that person supposed to do?

Which Hidden Power type(s) is/are statistically easier to get pre-Kalos on legendary Pokémon (not counting the obvious Fighting that is impossible in Kalos and beyond)?

Assume the Pokémon will be transferred up to Gen VII and hyper trained to fix any imperfect IVs.

If I don't remind wrong, before gen 6 leges didn't have the "guaranteed 3 IV" scenario.

So you're looking at actually normal spreads for Hidden Power like any other mon, which I believe is simply 1/16 per hidden power type.

IF you are interested in the HP chances for "guaranteed 3x31" instead... as following:
Fighting 0%
Flying 0.63%
Poison 0.63%
Ground 3.75%
Rock 0.63%
Bug 4.38%
Ghost 6.25%
Steel 8.75%
Fire 1.25%
Water 3.75%
Grass 8.75%
Electric 7.50%
Psychic 8.13%
Ice 11.88%
Dragon 21.25%
Dark 12.50%

Which Hidden Power type(s) is/are statistically easier to get pre-Kalos on legendary Pokémon (not counting the obvious Fighting that is impossible in Kalos and beyond)?

Assume the Pokémon will be transferred up to Gen VII and hyper trained to fix any imperfect IVs.
Legendary didn't get guaranteed IVs at 31 so the chances would be exactly the same as with regular Pokemon. Which are the same chances as Gen VI and VII (of course, there's Base Power being random, but the type is calculated the same way as before).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)