Online Competition Ultra No Holds Barred

Did better on day 3 and didn’t come across as many troll/stall teams, so I don’t hate this competition anymore :p

Hippowdon put in so much work! Between Yawn and Sand Stream and Stealth Rock it really wreaks havoc and often it can KO a couple of Pokemon before it gets taken down. And in most battles that I led with it, by the time it gets KO’d (it held a Iapapa berry to make it live longer), my opponent’s entire team has racked up significant chip damage and something is potentially asleep

This was my first competition and since I used this forum & Smogon in general for ideas to put my team together, I thought I would report in with a newbie's point of view.

As it was my first competition, I set myself a target of breaking even on 1500 points. I've actually done rather better than that, finishing with 21 wins and 14 losses, sat at approx 1600 points.

I used the following team:
UNHB.JPG

Zygarde was definite MVP, I won several battles by taking hits whilst Dragon Dancing, Resting once transformed and then spamming Thousand Arrows. Charizard also saw a lot of use, not only against steel/grass/ice, but also solar beaming slower water types either when opponent switched one in or where I could switch in safely. The rest of my team all saw useage and starred in certain battles, so there weren't any dead weights.

Greninja was the hardest to use consistently, unless it had a good matchup, it was difficult to get a OHKO to activate Battle Bond and more often than not, it would get one shotted on return. I haven't hyper trained it, but my experience with Protean Greninja shows that maxed IVs wouldn't make a difference most of the time. Because I so rarely got to activate battle bond, I'd probably replace it with my Life Orb Protean variant if I were to do this again.

My losses can be divided into 3 categories, stupidity on my behalf, my opponent straight outplaying me or a missed attack at a crucial moment (looking at you Hydro Pump and Fleur Cannon).

The teams I came across were very varied, some running plenty of well thought out legendaries and mythicals, some just adding Necrozma to a standard Battlespot team and some not running any special Pokémon at all. I came across several gimmick teams, all Mimikyu, all Eeveelution, all Torterra (3x Fire Blast from Charizard meant that battle didn't last long) and a team with 2 Focus Sash Endeavor Grovyles. Perhaps the weirdest was a team of Purugly, where each had a different gimmick - the first aimed to lower accuracy & the second tried to use hypnosis; he surrendered before I got to see number 3.

Overall I had good fun planning, testing and using my team. I'll definitely be signing up for future competitions.

Reactions: Tox
Day 2 & 3: Finished 30-15. Not entirely sure what my final rating was, somewhere in the 1670-1680 range. Day 2 wasn't on my side, I lost four games in a row that should've been easy wins to multiple flinches from more Scarf Skymins than should exist on the planet. ಠ_ಠ By Day 3, though, I'd mastered the art of using MegaDos to trick opposing Marshadows into stealing boosts for my Marshadow to steal in return and caught up pretty decently.

The MVP of my team was definitely Taunt, if only because I only had to sit through one 50-turn stall vs stall monstrosity.

Overall, not too bad, considering I hadn't entered a competition in about two years. *shrugs*

Last edited:
I went almost undefeated the first 2 days (something like 27-3). Got up to 1830+ points on day 3, said to myself "okay 1 last win and I'll stop", threw away a free game by playing poorly, then lost the next few games too. Same thing happened last time I entered one of these competitions (like 2 years ago) :( My final rating is around 1760 or so I believe.
My team consisted of Marshadow x2, defensive (sub+coil) Zygarde, Celesteela, fairium Z Tapu Koko, and special U-Necrozma(DM). Was mostly scared of teams involving hard stall (like Chansey+Mandibuzz+Hippowdon), stealth rock, Cloyster, and M-Lopunny. Also got caught off-guard by that Moody Bibarel =_=

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yikes, ended in the low 1700s, with the last match losing because Zygarde got frozen x_x

I had fun, but one thing for sure: I should NOT have used Shuckle! Webs is great in this metagame, but Shuckle was a REALLY bad call on my part, I should have used Araquanid or Smeargle lol. Oh well, hopefully we have this again in Pokemon Switch (aka Pokemon Let's Go) so I can actually practice less than 3 weeks before the competition and not make that same mistake :P

I still had a lot of fun though. I'll probably talk more about it when the results come out! For now, its back to Doubles Inverse woooo!

I was at day 2 near 1700, but then my opponents on day 3 were mostly Japanese and everyone knows, that they play like a beast ;) I have beaten guys with over 1700 with good playing and predicting, but lost also matches because of stupidity. For example: I used Sunsteel strike on an oppossing Mimikyu - sash. So I was very intelligent to use for the last 1 HP Photon Geysir -.- and on day 1 I played the tournament right at the beginning and in Germany it starts at 2 o'clock at night, so I ended with 8-5 because I was sleeping xD luckily there were no disconnects. I finally end up with slightly over 1600 which is ok if I consider the stupid losses and bad luck (4-5 flinches in a row or thunder punch at my Mega Gyarados and in the same round it was paralysed.

I used: sash jolly marshadow, fairium z tapu koko, offensive adamant zygarde leftovers (after the tournament I can say, that groundium z would be far better), Necrozma DM (ultra), Tapu Lele Scarf and Mega Gyarados. For me was Marshadow the MVP. It was a lot of fun and I learnt much (for example, that under the right circumstances Pyukumuk can be tough. It ended with 24-17.

Last edited:
Ended up going 32-4 with a rating around 1830-1840.

Here’s my team: http://pokepast.es/81f4e2196e3013f9

Most of the time I brought Ninetails and some combination of Zygarde, Dusk Mane Necrozma, or Ultra Necrozma.

My game plan was mainly just to get up aurora veil, set up, and break through my opponents team. If they had Marshadow, I could usually just break its sash with hail and set up with Zygarde.

Zygarde could take any one hit from Marshadow, set up a dragon dance and KO it back. Having the Z-move on Zygarde was great because not only did it allow me to KO Marshadow without having to lock myself into outrage, but it was also great for breaking through defensive mons like Mandibuzz and Hippowdon. I usually just set up with Dusk Mane or Dawn Wings Necrozma early in the game and kept Zygarde in the back for Marshadow.

Mawile was another good setup option that gave me a way to deal with trick room teams as well as mons like Mandibuzz and Ferothorn which could otherwise give my team trouble. Under Aurora veil it could easily tank hits and do massive damage with play rough or sucker punch.

Mandibuzz was there mainly to help me against sticky web teams and teams with more than one Marshadow, but taunt was also great to have against more defensive teams.

Overall this competition was really fun and it was great to finally be able to use mons like Ultra Necrozma and Zygarde. Hopefully they have more competitions like this in the future.

Team one went 25-19. Rotom wasn't used all that much and I regretted using it. Dusk Mane Necrozma was really good, I probably should have used Earthquake instead of Rock Slide for that final move.

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Marshadow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Dusk Mane Necrozma @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sunsteel Strike
- Photon Geyser
- Rock Slide

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Rotom-Wash @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpD / 252 Def / 4 SoA
Bold Nature
- Relfect
- Light Screen
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

Dawn Wings Necrozma @ Ultanecrozium Z
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Photon Geyser

---------------------------

Team Two went 28-17. Tapu Fini and Marshadow were the MVPs of this team. Day 2 continues to be an issue every tournament, as the 5 matches I didn't bring Fini I got frozen each time. A ton of flinches that day as well. There were very little teams I faced were prepared to deal with the Fini/Marshadow/Mamoswine core. Surprisingly, I only faced one strange team, every other match had serious set of six Pokemon. Fini, Mamoswine, and Zygarde each had multiple sweeps. Yache Berry continues to be the perfect item for Zygarde, letting it always get a Dragon Dance off without worrying about a KO.

Tapu Fini @ Light Clay
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 SpD / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Scald
- Moonblast

Marshadow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch

Zygarde @ Yache Berry
Ability: Power Construct
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

Mamoswine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Rock Slide

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 SpD / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Whirlwind
- Foul Play
- Roost

Dawn Wings Necrozma @ Ultanecrozium Z
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Photon Geyser

Last edited:
Usage stats are now out. Player count more than doubled this month, to 4702, but still less than a third of the player count of last year's edition of NHB.

Remember, usage counts only factor in players who won at least three more games than they lost, so whatever meme teams you may have faced probably didn't qualify to be counted.

741 Necrozma (19 base, 443 dusk, 279 dawn; 528 combined with the ability to go ultra)
452 Marshadow
319 Zygarde (2 aurabreak50, 2 aurabreak10, 47 powerconstruct10, 268 powerconstruct50)
207 Magearna
196 Mimikyu
185 Greninja (96 standard, 89 ash)
162 Tapu Koko
151 Shaymin (4 land, 147 sky)
142 Gyarados (124 mega)
140 Landorus (4 incarnate, 136 therian)
115 Tapu Lele
100 Charizard (46 mega X, 53 mega Y)
90 Celesteela
86 Deoxys (2 normal, 67 attack, 4 defense, 13 speed)
79 Blaziken (54 mega)
77 Diancie (73 mega)
76 Porygon2
70 Hippowdon, Genesect (49 no drive, 12 douse, 3 burn, 6 chill), Tapu Fini
56 Salamence (51 mega)
49 Volcanion
48 Aegislash, Pheromosa
46 Kangaskhan (45 mega), Ditto
45 Gengar (40 mega), Hoopa (1 confined, 44 unbound)

44 Naganadel
43 Metagross (42 mega)
41 Tyranitar (25 mega), Mamoswine
40 Garchomp (2 mega)
36 Mawile (35 mega), Victini
35 Darkrai
34 Jirachi
32 Umbreon, Ferrothorn
31 Scizor (23 mega)
29 Shuckle, Volcarona, Meloetta
28 Incineroar
27 Cloyster, Mew, Kartana
26 Zapdos, Lucario (23 mega), Rotom (10 heat, 14 wash, 2 mow), Mandibuzz
22 Breloom, Heatran, Thundurus (4 incarnate, 18 therian)
21 Chansey
20 Sableye (14 mega), Manaphy, Excadrill
19 Lopunny (all mega), Cresselia
18 Ninetales (all alola), Hydreigon, Blacephalon
17 Venusaur (16 mega)
16 Klefki
15 Gliscor, Vivillon
14 Toxapex, Tapu Bulu, Buzzwole
13 Dragonite, Serperior
12 Zoroark, Nihilego
11 Smeargle, Suicune, Sharpedo (8 mega)
10 Clefable, Alakazam (8 mega), Muk (all alola), Aerodactyl (8 mega), Azumarill, Raikou, Milotic, Latios (4 mega), Whimsicott, Araquanid
9 Slowbro (6 mega), Swampert (6 mega), Gardevoir (6 mega), Keldeo, Golisopod
8 Snorlax, Celebi, Manectric (all mega), Chandelure, Xurkitree
7 Beedrill (all mega), Arcanine, Pinsir (4 mega), Skarmory, Entei, Kommo-o
6 Moltres, Crobat, Aggron (5 mega), Latias (3 mega), Staraptor, Bibarel, Weavile Togekiss, Porygon-Z, Scolipede, Talonflame, Primarina, Ribombee, Stakataka
5 Eevee, Quagsire, Banette (all mega), Magnezone, Uxie, Bisharp
4 Marowak (all alola), Espeon, Medicham (2 mega), Gallade (all mega), Krookodile, Haxorus, Silvally (1 normal, 1 poison, 1 dark, 1 fairy)
3 Feraligatr, Murkrow, Swellow, Pelipper, Absol (2 mega), Infernape, Drapion, Abomasnow (all mega), Rhyperior, Yanmega, Azelf, Liepard, Cinccino, Galvantula, Tornadus (2 incarnate, 1 therian), Lycanroc (all dusk), Pyukumuku, Togedemaru, Guzzlord
2 Blastoise (both mega), Nidoqueen, Persian (both alola), Jolteon, Typhlosion, Politoed, Wobbuffet, Crawdaunt, Dusclops, Glalie (no mega), Empoleon, Ambipom, Drifblim, Lickilicky, Glaceon, Darmanitan, Cofagrigus, Vanilluxe, Amoonguss, Klinklang, Terrakion, Heliolisk, Tyrantrum, Hawlucha, Dedenne, Goodra, Decidueye, Vikavolt, Lurantis, Bewear, Type: Null
1 Pidgeot (mega), Pikachu, Raichu (alola), Sandslash (alola), Nidoking, Vulpix (alola), Vileplume, Parasect, Dugtrio (alola), Machamp, Magneton, Exeggutor (kanto), Seaking, Scyther, Lapras, Omastar, Ampharos (mega), Bellossom, Heracross (not mega), Ursaring, Mantine, Houndoom (mega), Donphan, Sceptile (mega), Ninjask, Camerupt (not mega), Torkoal, Wynaut, Regirock, Roserade, Combee (???), Mismagius, Honchkrow, Purugly, Dusknoir, Froslass, Phione, Snivy, Zebstrika, Gigalith, Audino (mega), Conkeldurr, Seismitoad, Crustle, Archeops, Sawsbuck, Excavalier, Accelgor, Stunfisk, Golurk, Braviary, Delphox, Bunnelby, Meowstic (male), Slurpuff, Malamar, Barbaracle, Sylveon, Avalugg, Crabominable, Mudsdale, Salazzle, Tsareena, Oranguru, Minior, Bruxish

Zygarde 10% being in the top 30 somewhat surprised me; guessing it used a Dragon Dance + Focus Sash set to activate Power Construct. Seems like a pretty cool revenge killer / late game sweeper option. The rest of the top 30 were what I expected more or less.

Well, so finally I reached 1671, placed 140th. The team:
-Aerodactyl @ Sash, taunt, tailwind, stealth rock, rock slide (Rock slide was useful, some crucial flinches)
-Murkrow @ Eviolite, Specially Defensive. Feather Dance, Roost, Toxic and Foul Play. The Zygarde Answer, and could handle UltraNecrozma (Wings)
-Necrozma-DM @ Groundium: Earthquake, Photon Geyser, Sunsteel Strike, Morning Sun. I think I ended using him more than UltraWings.
-Necrozma-DW @ UltraNecronium: Timid, Photon Geyser, Moongeist Beam, Calm Mind, Swords Dance. It was supposed to be a mixed wallbreaker. I didn't use it as much.
-Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs: Tbolt, Dazzling Gleam, hp fire (I was expecting some ferrothorns) and Grass Knot
-Marshadow @ Fogus sash: Naive. Spectral thief, Close Combat, Shadow Sneak and hp ice. There was a match against a Genesect when I wished it was Hasty.
Fun competition. I'm sad that June's is an IC.

Placed 16th with 1775 pts (1st in Europe), I could've got way better, but I guess that's still decent.
About the usage stats, I expected stalls (Chansey, Mandibuzz, Clefable, Zapdos...) to be higher, I think they were really strong. Zygarde10% was also unexpectedly popular. Otherwise nothing too surprising.
Overall it was a pretty fun competiton!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)