Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Pokemon Let's GO: Pikachu and Pokemon Lets GO Eeevee have just been announced earlier today in their full officiality after weeks of speculation about what might be coming.

16th May 2018: News just arrived that the trademarks "Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu" and "Pokémon Let's Go! Eevee" as well as domain names "Let's Go Pikachu" and "Let's Go Eevee" have been registered by the company CSC Corporate Domains, Inc.

CSC has been used to register domain names for Nintendo/Game Freak before, most notably for Pokémon Sun and Moon (as you may recall, the very first news about Sun and Moon came from people tracking the activities of the company).

This may or may not indicate news for Pokémon games on Nintendo Switch, whose existence was briefly confirmed last year. Again, nothing is confirmed at this stage, I'm just creating this thread so you don't have to.

The thread will be opened when we know more information, as what is currently known is not really enough to base a discussion on.

30th May 2018: Pokemon Let's Go has been announced to the world at a GameFreak press conference in Japan. Serebii has a tonne of information already and I would suggest checking there to get caught up. Games look like they are based in Kanto with the Original Pokemon and one other "Brand new, never seen before Pokemon". There is lots of information floating around in the form of Q&A's, which we will see if we can track some of it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, even if these are the newest "main games" then at least Nintendo are using this to test how well the Switch can run Pokemon games. Also, this tweet from Pokemon implies that Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee are sort of spin offs, and if you hate everything this game stands for, can rejoice in the fact that there is a game coming out in the 2nd half of 2019, which will have had a longer development time.

First, screw whoever decided having this at 3AM local time. Why are all Nintendo reveals and stuff done at a time that benefits Americans but screws over Europeans? Why do they hate Europeans so much? But I digress.

Then... Wow, what a bad reveal. These games are everything "nobody" wanted from a Pokémon game let alone a main one. Kanto remake AGAIN, no new Pokémon past the original 151, capturing like in GO, anime voices, gimmicky accessory... Terrible, just terrible. And worse, this was revealed alongside Quest which was ANOTHER Kanto bias fest and a terrible mobile F2P game too. I lost sleep for this?

I honestly believe the "Hey, we have a REAL Pokémon game coming next year!" thing was adlibbed at the last second because they realized how otherwise two horrible Genwunner pandering games and nothing else would make fans eat them alive and spit the bones.

This seems to be pretty bad. Just my worst fear - Kanto remake and Pokemon Go gameplay wrapped up in one bundle. The blatant Gen 1 pandering continues, it seems. I can't seem to find any redeeming features to this game at all. Using the Joy Con to throw Poke Balls? It's kind of neat but not enough to make me want to buy a £40-£60 game. Removing wild battles was the icing on the cake. A lot of Nintendo franchises have made a very solid and successful transition to the Switch so its a shame to see Pokemon fall over that hurdle. I hope this game sells very poorly and teaches them a lesson but by then they'll have the late 2019 game concept be over the point of no return (and mabye even the next one too).

Honestly, aside from the disappointment for having to wait a whole another year for the actual core series game, I was like.... yeh this could be cool to kill time at work.

But then, I reminded myself both that we talking of a 40 € Pokemon Go version, that also requires me to do a stupid pokeballthrowing gesture to catch pokemon so yeh, will likely end up skipping this one even though I can see it attracting newer players who just bought a Switch and want to sort-of-get in the Pokemon Franchise.

Will be a long year :(

On the one hand, the game certainly looks amazing to me in graphics. I also appreciate the bonding mechanism and following Pokémon are always welcome. The game also does still have trainer battles, so it isn’t ruined or anything. Levels also appear to still exist too, so that’s good. The main issues I have with the game right now are the Pokémon Go shoehorning and the fact only Kanto Pokémon are allowed. Now, to be fair on the latter point, it’s a Yellow remake for intensive purposes, and the leaks also mentioned Kantonian Forms, so we’ll have to wait and see. While I don’t mind trading between Go and Let’s Go, and the new catching system is okay if a bit odd to get used to, but this game frankly doesn’t feel as genuinely crafted as other games. Maybe it’s just I’m not used to seeing it on a console, but it almost feels like Niantic had Junichi Masuda at gunpoint. I’m still relatively looking forward to this game, and I bet it’ll be perfectly fine. I just am less certain about if I’ll get this one for myself. Just please don’t make this full price like other console games. Perhaps the Kanto boner (Kanbone) is starting to drive me crazy perhaps. Also we should keep in mind that this is likely a test to see a mainstream Pokémon game on console. Most likely, Gen 8 will be back to normal, so don’t worry.

Also, Pokémon Quest is a F2P spin-off, calm your tits. If it was the only announcement I’d get it but calm the fuck down people.

On the one hand, the game certainly looks amazing to me in graphics. I also appreciate the bonding mechanism and following Pokémon are always welcome. The game also does still have trainer battles, so it isn’t ruined or anything. Levels also appear to still exist too, so that’s good.
--snip--
I’m still relatively looking forward to this game, and I bet it’ll be perfectly fine. I just am less certain about if I’ll get this one for myself. Just please don’t make this full price like other console games.
Can agree with this. As said, I'd definitely not pay a full game price for a pokemon-go version of Yellow, expecially if there's no other way to catch mons than doing gestures, something I really really dislike (I hate motion controls with a passion, as an actual adult I don't need to pretend to be a literal 10 year old kid)
Perhaps the Kanto boner (Kanbone) is starting to drive me crazy perhaps. Also we should keep in mind that this is likely a test to see a mainstream Pokémon game on console. Most likely, Gen 8 will be back to normal, so don’t worry.
No doubt that Gen 8 games will be "back to normal" as far as mechanics go, that's a given.
What's obnoxious is that we'll basically be stuck for at least another year with gen 7 which... honestly... sucks as we were essentially "promised" (I know, they tecnically never said core series) with USUM Directs that the core series Switch games would have been available by the end of 2018, and I was really looking forward for those :(

No doubt that Gen 8 games will be "back to normal" as far as mechanics go, that's a given.
What's obnoxious is that we'll basically be stuck for at least another year with gen 7 which... honestly... sucks as we were essentially "promised" (I know, they tecnically never said core series) with USUM Directs that the core series Switch games would have been available by the end of 2018, and I was really looking forward for those :(
I see how it’s a bit disappointing, but hey, better than Quest being the only announcement. Also, I have a feeling that you’re gonna be able to press the A button with timing if you choose to, as other games with motion controls as an integral feature have allowed buttons on the switch (Namely Arms and Super Mario Odyssey, BoTW might’ve had that too but I never played that lol). Again, this game I bet will be perfectly fine, just have some concerns.

Sorry for double posting, but I’m gonna be slightly salty if Eevee can’t evolve because I like Sylveon :(

MOD EDIT: Use the edit button in cases like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the game is perfectly fine for the purpose that it has (it's quite clear that it's both a way to check how Pokemon graphic is received on Switch, as well as a good way to introduce new younger players who bought Switch as their first console to the Pokemon world), it's just a bit disappointing.

If a "press A to catch" or smth like that mechanic exists and it's not going to ship for a full game price, I might even consider picking it up.

Sorry for double posting, but I’m gonna be slightly salty if Eevee can’t evolve because I like Sylveon :(
The Pikachu and Eevee you start with have been confirmed to not be able to evolve, though you can catch other wild pikachu and eevee who can evolve. That said, a Q&A also confirmed that the game will only have the original 151 + some alola Pokémon (most likely the existing Alolan forms of Kanto Pokémon).

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
To be honest: If I ever decide to buy a Switch before the end of the year, I might give these games a shot.

From the trailer, what I basically think is that these games are more or less experiments with "new" mechanics that may or may not be able to be used in future games in a positive manner depending on implementation. It looks fun and some mechanics changes help refresh what is quite a stale formula, for better or worse.

The implementation of Trigger Encounters over Random Encounters is interesting. On one hand, it means that it helps gets rid of the biggest issue of random encounters (Relying on RNG to find that rare thing that can take hours to find). On the other hand, the implementation of the system is key as to whether or not this experiment is going to succeed, and the trailer doesn't show much. They move, but that's it. Do they have aggro mechanics? If so, is it like the way of the 3DS games (which I don't like) or did they change it so they dont chase you down at the speed of light? Do they despawn and how do you get them to despawn/respawn? Do they just stick to grass or show up on the roads? Are the behaviours different for each Pokémon?

Furthermore the removal of wild fights can be interesting but there are concerns (Though I'm not familiar with GO capture mechanics). What is the capture system like? Will the Pokémon be able to run away? Furthermore, the removal of wild fights do bring up some big concerns involving level grinding, namely: Will there be a way to reliably level grind in this game? Will regular trainers be re-battleable? Will there be a post-game thing that will help assist with level grinding? Or will I have to fight the Pokémon League (if there is one) over and over again?

I see the Pokémon GO integration as not a bad thing at all, allowing players to connect with the game and potentially use as a bridge to move to mainline games. Co-op play is definitely interesting and raises a few questions but it's a bit too early to really see the limits of it. Starter customisation and following Pokémon are a nice, aesthetic touch. They are not really needed but really helps capture an essence of Pokémon is about (the player's personal journey), something that (Ultra) Sun/Moon definitely lacked. Poké Ball Plus (and motion controls) I don't have much of an opinion on, but if it helps enhance the experience and is well implemented, then so be it.

As for the Gen 1 + Alola Forms + New Pokémon, I am going to say this. I did not want a mainline game for the Switch to be released this year out of concerns for "rushing", but if it were to happen, it would be better to have one with a limited roster as opposed to a full roster. This is because it would give Game Freak et al more time to focus on developing a well-crafted product with great gameplay as opposed to a rushed game with a lot of wasted potential (ala X&Y).

Basically, I'm going to not judge the book by its cover here. I am at the very least interested in the way this pans out and while this wont get me out to buy a Switch, I would definitely be interested enough to give it a shot if I do get a Switch (despite having never played GO) based on the different mechanics and whatnot. And who knows? Maybe it might give me the spark for these games that has been lacking throughout the 3DS generation.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My initial reaction is mild disappointment. I feel that with the capabilities of the Switch, it is a bit of a waste to limit the game to a region and creatures designed to fit the graphical limitations of the Game Boy. Look at how well Alola incorporates a changing camera perspective, and how the newly designed creatures use animation to convey personality (Blacephalon juggling with its head, Stakataka being a tower of constantly flipping bricks, Wishiwashi shivering in fear, etc.). Those designs were made to take advantage of the capabilities of the console they were introduced on. The Kanto 'mons were made to look good in still images, and as such don't utilize movement to the same degree. I suppose the designers could upgrade some designs to be a little more lively and moving, but it wouldn't work for every Pokémon, and it's different from having a design built around that movement in the first place.

Then there's Kanto. The region itself is designed to be viewed from one angle only, on a small screen. If they stick to those limitations, I think it'd be a step back. Will we even get to see Mt. Moon looming above us as we approach it? Look down Cycling Road as we set out from Celadon? Watch Lavender Town from the cliffs outside Rock Tunnel after emerging from the darkness? I mean, Gen VII didn't have full camera freedom by any means, but it did use perspective in some ways RBY could never do. It remains to be seen whether Nintendo will take advantage of what the Switch can render, or play it super-conservatively to keep that Game Boy style as intact as possible. In which case, I fear the region will feel quite behind the times considering the type of landscapes that have been rendered on the Switch in other games (here's looking at Breath of the Wild).

Furthermore, I've always felt that Go butchered the concept of encountering Pokémon. Using your team members to brave the wild encounters is such an integral part of Pokémon, and all sense of wilderness and endurance is lost if you never use your Pokémon for random battles. What would even be the point of tall grass, then, if the wild encounters you meet can neither benefit nor endanger the Pokémon on your team? Granted, having to throw Poké Balls isn't a bad idea per se, but there's so much more to the capture process that's lost completely when there's no battle involved. Will you have to rely on trainers for experience throughout the entire journey? If so, that Vs. Seeker better make a return...

And... only the original 151? Are Game Freak not proud of the improvements they've made over the years? Gens II and IV made many Gen I crapmons worth catching. Many types didn't have a reasonable movepool until Gen IV either (Dragon, Ghost, Bug, Fighting, and Steel spring to mind). The battle system as we know it is pretty dependent on later-gen additions, it would be sad to see Pokémon move back to square one. Heck, will Abilities even exist in Let's Go? It seems like Alola forms are added to reinforce the roster of some types (notably, Dark, Dragon, and Steel) a little, hopefully some later-gen moves and mechanics will make it as well.

I do like the concept of following/riding Pokémon, though, and I think dressing up your starter is a charming touch (not sure if I'll use that mechanic myself, but I like that it's there). So far, I'm a little underwhelmed, but it may turn out to be really nice to get to take a step back and play a Pokémon game from the time before power creep, Megas and Z-moves.

I would assume that the choice of "only the original 151" is simply because PLG is, essentially, a HD Yellow remake fused with Pokemon Go, and it wouldn't make much sense if you're going to use the same storyline and ambientation to have the new pokemon as well.

Still disapprove, but it does make sense.

As one avid Pokemon GO player, I think I'll have to get this just to clear up my Pokemon box there. But still, this is... conflicting. I might also skip this if I can't transfer Pokemon of other generations. I have caught too many Latias and other things there, but if they limit that to original 151 I can only transfer bunch of shiny stuffs and low IV birbs and Mewtwo. I think I have to skip this unless they "update" it someday to allow newer generations. I only have few to transfer there if it only has original 151. And this is not to say the compatibility between this and the new region game on 2019.
Although likely, this will be compatible with the newer 2019 game. I can see PLG is a gateway game for Pokemon GO playerbase to get into the next main series. A business tactic, and maybe a clever ones, since Pokemon GO was cited to be behind the success of Sun Moon. Still, all of this and I just hope I can transfer my 'mon from GO over to core games just to relieve me of Pokemon Box capacity problems....

I'll also dig deep the Pokemon customisation. About time not only us trainers get into style. The only reason I kept these hatted Pikachu in GO was that I hoped someday I could move these hats to other 'mon and have something like Witch Espeon or Party Sylveon.

Another point to see is that looks like newer moves are there. Looks like there Parsher/Cloyster? used Shell Smash. What intrigues me is that Magikarp jumping over the Earth; is that an in battle move (or even new-Z-Splash?) or just a cutscene?

Also, lol two players ganging up on a Bug catcher. Are they going to omit Double Battle and just let players gang up on NPC trainers or that bug catcher only have one mon?

I would assume that the choice of "only the original 151" is simply because PLG is, essentially, a HD Yellow remake fused with Pokemon Go, and it wouldn't make much sense if you're going to use the same storyline and ambientation to have the new pokemon as well.

Still disapprove, but it does make sense.
Is it really "only original 151" though? I mean, when we talk about cross-generation evolution, especially Eevee.... (Or maybe they'll just cop them out by denying Eevee of evolution like Yellow's Pikachu and no evolve items like Porygon's patch, King's Rock, or other things?)
Still, it looks like affection feature is also up there, which means Sylveon is perfectly possible.
... actually, yeah. If they're serious about this being remake of Yellow, Eevee probably refuses to evolve, which makes irony of Eevee itself. Sure, we had the Eevee brothers in Anipoke (many years ago), but at least Ilima in Anipoke had the Eevium-Z to justify himself, while feature of Z-move itself is unlikely to return.

From the trailer, what I basically think is that these games are more or less experiments with "new" mechanics that may or may not be able to be used in future games in a positive manner depending on implementation. It looks fun and some mechanics changes help refresh what is quite a stale
Furthermore the removal of wild fights can be interesting but there are concerns (Though I'm not familiar with GO capture mechanics). What is the capture system like? Will the Pokémon be able to run away? Furthermore, the removal of wild fights do bring up some big concerns involving level grinding, namely: Will there be a way to reliably level grind in this game? Will regular trainers be re-battleable? Will there be a post-game thing that will help assist with level grinding? Or will I have to fight the Pokémon League (if there is one) over and over again?

I see the Pokémon GO integration as not a bad thing at all, allowing players to connect with the game and potentially use as a bridge to move to mainline games. Co-op play is definitely interesting and raises a few questions but it's a bit too early to really see the limits of it. Starter customisation and following Pokémon are a nice, aesthetic touch. They are not really needed but really helps capture an essence of Pokémon is about (the player's personal journey), something that (Ultra) Sun/Moon definitely lacked. Poké Ball Plus (and motion controls) I don't have much of an opinion on, but if it helps enhance the experience and is well implemented, then so be it.

As for the Gen 1 + Alola Forms + New Pokémon, I am going to say this. I did not want a mainline game for the Switch to be released this year out of concerns for "rushing", but if it were to happen, it would be better to have one with a limited roster as opposed to a full roster. This is because it would give Game Freak et al more time to focus on developing a well-crafted product with great gameplay as opposed to a rushed game with a lot of wasted potential (ala X&Y).
Well... capturing in Pokemon GO is pretty much, getting the ball hit within the circle as you see in trailer, although the calculations can be complicated so we just need to follow general rule. The smaller (from Nice to Excellent) the circle is while you successfully have the ball hit within it, the higher chance to capture that mon. Pokemon can still run away in a fixed chance after each time they break out from the ball. Curveball, if implemented in PLG too, improves catch rate.

Well, catching mon can still give EXP. What makes me worried is EV, if it is implemented here. Although maybe they can just make the Pokemon in first slot gain EXP+EV as normally they do and EXP Share will appear too.

... still, I hope they open up new roster just to allow me to relieve my GO's Pokemon Box of these low IV legendaries and shinies. I'll have to read more.

Can agree with this. As said, I'd definitely not pay a full game price for a pokemon-go version of Yellow, expecially if there's no other way to catch mons than doing gestures, something I really really dislike (I hate motion controls with a passion, as an actual adult I don't need to pretend to be a literal 10 year old kid)

Honestly, when they say this is main series game (but now retracted?), I was actually sad of knowing Gen7 was so shortlived. Still, I think this is better. This is probably GF experimenting with new stuffs to polish the actual Gen8 game and I'm all supporting GF not to make main series games each year and fumble each time they release it. I don't know if this is still Gen7 or 8, I'll just consider this Gen7.5.

Now, let me save for a Pokecen's real-size Popplio plush first. I haven't had the chance to get them, I don't want new generation to wipe out the Alola merches too quickly.

Last edited:

Conni

katharsis
Although I was rather disappointed that it didn't seem like it was going to be a core series game such as Pokémon Sun and Moon. It does look intriguing enough for people that are starting to get into the Nintendo Switch but have a Pokemon background. I think of it as a nice way for Pokemon players to get in on Nintendo Switch fun possibly and also to bring Pokémon GO back to life from the depths of hell but it's an ok way to begin bringing Pokemon to the switch before a core series arrives in hopefully 2019. The Gen 1 focusing seems pretty redundant, and we probably all want the DPP Remake already but it's not the worst that could happen I hope, as from what it seems right now its just a super modern version of gen 1, we already might know what happens but we can enjoy the new perks possibly. I'm still debating on if I should buy it or not, but I'll lay back and see as the game progresses and I'll make my final decision then.

Overall, looks promising as a beginning to Pokemon on the Switch console and a possible attempt to revive Pokémon GO's popularity, the spotlight on Gen 1 may be redundant but the new perks should sum up for that.

I'm still debating on if I should buy it or not, but I'll lay back and see as the game progresses and I'll make my final decision then.
I have a feeling a lot of people will buy or not buy it based on the actual price.

My thought (which I noticed is shared by a fair amount of the people I talked with so far) is that if PLG comes out at a full game price (so 45 bucks or even 60 seeing it's a Switch game) with no other benefit at all it quickly hits the "why would i pay that much for it", while a much lesser price of 20ish would even get me and others to buy/check it out if anything to kill time while waiting gen 8.

I knew it was going to be separate from the main series!

Now, for something related to the now-kinda-tiring Kanto, it actually looks pretty decent. The graphics style is exactly what I want to see in the main series, and the co-op and wild Pokemon in the overworld a la MOTHER can be killer features IMO if done properly. No weakening wild Pokemon to catch them is kind of a bummer but nothing too serious, I think, and you don't have to pray to the RNG. Hopefully you can throw Poké Balls without Motion Controls.

May give it a go. Still not playing GO, though. Pun not intended.

And I'm glad the main series game was pushed back to 2019 as it felt too early IMO to finish Gen VII. At least give us a Mystery Dungeon game or something in-between to appease yet another part of the fandom :P

Last edited:
I went into this with an open mind and zero expectations...and was pleasantly surprised with the reveal. There are plenty of reasons to secure a Switch, and this is a nice holdover until next year.
And the late 2019 core series reveal was not "ad-libbed;" they've been working on that game for awhile.

Well, catching mon can still give EXP. What makes me worried is EV, if it is implemented here. Although maybe they can just make the Pokemon in first slot gain EXP+EV as normally they do and EXP Share will appear too.
From Serebii: "Edit @ 10:51: When asking about EV training Pokémon, IGN reveals that the team wanted to simplify things with how you level up, raise & train your Pokémon, stating more details will come at a later date"

So probably not?

From Serebii: "Edit @ 10:51: When asking about EV training Pokémon, IGN reveals that the team wanted to simplify things with how you level up, raise & train your Pokémon, stating more details will come at a later date"

So probably not?
Perhaps CP is going to replace EVs in this game? Would make sense with the whole "send your Pokemon to GO for a while to train it further".

Not really...having nothing to show for this year is bad, especially for such a lucrative franchise and insatiable fanbase. You know how up in arms people were waiting for any announcement? I do.
Also, I'm not the one suggesting Game Freak only gave the 2019 announcement because they felt they dropped the ball. So take that "sheesh" someplace else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)