Online Competition Let's Go! Cup

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Okay so this is the weirdest meta of all time...

1v1 battles, you can only bring Pikachu or Eevee...

...that's it!

• Single battle format, 1v1 battles
  • can only bring one Pikachu or Eevee
  • all Pokemon will be level 50, regardless of what level they are when brought to battle
  • all items seem to be legal
  • Pokemon from any game are allowed, so transfer those obscure events up hello e speed pika

How will this "metagame" develop? Will everyone just spam Light Ball Pikachu and pray for the speed tie? Or do you have a clever set in mind?

LegoFigure11 is putting this up on PS now. If he sucks then pinging The Immortal and Marty just in case!

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Jolly Espeed has a 80% chance to OHKO other Pikachus and it 2HKO's most Eevees not running max def to Evoboost up and KO back with Stored Power, Brick Break in to Espeed destroys this tho. A max attack, max HP Eviolite Eevee with Adaptability can sponge anything Pikachu throws at it (beside like Fake Out + Brick Break) and simply KO it with a Return, but it loses to Evoboost variants that are faster.

Sounds like a meme ct meta but should bring out some real interesting stuff.

Last edited:
The entrance prize is kinda ridiculous. Even if you don't participate, can't someone just upload it to the Internet so everyone can use it?

Both Pikachu and Eevee have access to Dig through transfer and, therefore, to Tectonic Rage, but gotta be aware of possible Focus Sash and be revenge killed immediately with priority.

Adaptability is the one-to-go ability for Eevee and Pikachu should bring Lightningrod, as Static won't affect its siblings. It's better even if they won't use Electric moves on you anyway.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
okay me and nintendogeniuses have been practicing against each other quite a bit to test stuff out. "Our" metagame may not turn out to be "the" metagame (we started CTing each other lol) but here's some sample sets we thought were clever.
Eevee @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 124 Def / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Last Resort
-
Yawn+Protect is really nice in 1v1 formats and Eevee does it easy vs Pikachu. This spread lives Z-Focus Punch + Feint from Pikachu so you can Yawn turn 1 and Protect to force the sleep. You can then OHKO with Last Resort. We found that Eevee that want to run Extreme Evoboost need 28 speed to outspeed Jolly Pikachu at +2, so this speed creeps those, with the rest of the EVs dumped into attack.
Eevee @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 124 Def / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Wish / Substitute
- Return / Double-Edge / Last Resort
Same set, but better in the Eevee matchup since Last Resort, with its low PP, can get stalled out by opposing SubProtect Eevee. Return doesn't OHKO Pikachu, Double-Edge gets close, Last Resort does kill though so it's an option still.
Eevee @ Eevium Z
EVs: 244 HP / 236 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Last Resort
- Protect
(- Yawn
- Substitute / Return)
If you want to run Eevium then this is the EV spread you need, otherwise you just lose to Light Ball Volt Tackle Pikachu. Z-Focus Punch OHKOes this set, but you need to click Protect at some point anyway to be able to use regular Last Resort so might as well do it turn 1. Just pray the Pikachu gets a free Sub up that turn lol.
Pikachu @ Light Ball / Fightinium Z
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 Atk / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Volt Tackle / Protect
- Extreme Speed / Dig
- Reversal / Focus Punch
I like Light Ball personally, just because Protect on Eevee will be really common and they can whiff your Z move with it. Speed is for max Eevee, max attack for power, with rest dumped into Def to help against opposing Pikachu. Reversal is great because you can sub into 200BP range and then bop Eevee, which is better vs Evoboost Eevee. Focus Punch is fine, maybe better, against Eviolite Eevee because they can run Quick Attack to bop you before getting the strong Reversal off. Loses to Eevee that spam Return though... E speed is really great and bops opposing Pikachu, but if you can't get hold of the event Pikachu with it, a slow Dig should do the trick too.
Pikachu @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 140 Atk / 196 Def / 172 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Focus Punch
- Yawn
- Protect
- Substitute / Feint / Extreme Speed
Yawn is good on Eevee so if you can get your hands on a 2009 Japanese Pokemon Center irl event Pikachu you should try this lol. They're locked into Relaxed so you need a lot of speed investment to outspeed max speed Eevee, good thing is you get a lot of bulk. You actually live Z-Focus Punch from opposing Pikachu so you can Yawn them

The "metagame" is so weird though, it's literally a rock-paper-scissors. Pikachu beats Evoboost Eevee, Evoboost Eevee beats Eviolite Eevee, and Eviolite Eevee beats most Pikachu. I suppose you just gotta figure out which will be the most common and bring the CT for that lol.

Wait, are we allowed only one Eevee or Pikachu? I’m no fan of let’s go, but I’m on Team Eevee.

TEAM EEVEE RULES! ( Seriously, choose Eevee so I can get that wallpaper. )
Can’t Say. I’d suggest adding the competition dates and the prize to the OP just for being more precise.

Also, can you use cap pikachu?

Last edited:
Pikachu @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 140 Atk / 196 Def / 172 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Focus Punch
- Yawn
- Protect
- Substitute / Feint / Extreme Speed
Why Relaxed and not Impish? You are not running any special attacks in this set.

Why Relaxed and not Impish? You are not running any special attacks in this set.
- - -​
The Pikachu is natured locked into Relaxed;
Can't Say said:
Yawn is good on Eevee so if you can get your hands on a 2009 Japanese Pokemon Center irl event Pikachu you should try this lol. They're locked into Relaxed so you need a lot of speed investment to outspeed max speed Eevee, good thing is you get a lot of bulk.

I fear we'll figure out a "best set" when we can practise this on showdown and it'll be pretty boring.

Scarf Eevee seems like a great option. It beats all the pikachus posted in here. It also outspeeds the 28 speed +2 Eevee and I believe kills on the second hit.

252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 176+ Def Pikachu: 118-140 (107.2 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (118, 120, 120, 122, 124, 126, 126, 128, 130, 130, 132, 134, 134, 136, 138, 140)

Sash Pikachu also needs to be explored. Endeavour (illegal with espeed) or Counter alone make it a huge option. And then we can expect the cheesy Sing/Swagger Pikachu sets to be used in the actual competition.

Hey all, this is an eevee set I've been using to get to the top of the ladder. Played with a few other garbage sets that lost me points, but this one has been doing really well. It's really intricate so I thought I'd let you know my meta development:

Eevee @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge

Currently rank 8 on the ladder:

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 19.08.01.png

Now rank 3:

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 19.10.55.png

Last edited:
Adaptability is the one-to-go ability for Eevee and Pikachu should bring Lightningrod, as Static won't affect its siblings. It's better even if they won't use Electric moves on you anyway.
Pikachu should just go Static because you have a slim chance to slam Eevees.

On Showdown right now I've been using the simple Sash + Counter Pikachu with Encore to hit status, though it mainly works on people who aren't wise to the strat already, and Hyper Voice Eevee doesn't bode well for it. It really is a big counter meta, I've even been thinking about stuff like electric terrain to counter Yawn. Weird simple stuff, might actually try it out on cart when it comes around. Hopefully there'll be less event moves.

Last edited:
Hey all, this is an eevee set I've been using to get to the top of the ladder. Played with a few other garbage sets that lost me points, but this one has been doing really well. It's really intricate so I thought I'd let you know my meta development:

Eevee @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge

Currently rank 8 on the ladder:

View attachment 128930

Now rank 3:

View attachment 128931

I too got to 3 on the ladder with the same set.

Can confirm this set is dumb and ladders fast. I actually used a naughty nature with hyper voice to try to hax the guy with max defense charm Eevee who would beat this set (didn't work though). This trounces on almost every Pikachu I came across and some Eevee sets too, but struggles against defensive Eevees (Yawn, Wish, Toxic, etc.) and Eevoboost (+speed nature with 0 evs outspeeds adamant scarf). A mixture of those two sets sounds pretty potent. I don't know how such a set fares against Pikachu but considering that I mostly saw Eevees higher up on the ladder, including defensive sets, I'd say pretty well.

Last edited:
After peaking number 1 on the ladder on this I'm just here to drop the sets I think are best:

Eevee @ Eevium Z
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Last Resort

evs are to outspeed scarf eevee

Eevee @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Quick Attack
- Body Slam
- Facade

just click double edge and claim lives, other moves are there for no reason than fill out slots

Eevee @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect
- Last Resort

this set is annoying but it works

top yuh.png

Currently top. Won a few, lost a few. My impressions are that it's literally rock paper scissors; luck of the draw. There's a counter for everything. Also think it's unlikely that we'll ever see the meme sets do well on cart and I fully expect the usual suspects to wreck (Scarf adamant eevee).

Been playing this for a while and I think I have clear grasp on what's working in the meta atm. Decided to take some time and compile some quick viability ranks to get people get started. Hope this gives everyone a good idea of what to prepare for in the meta.

S Rank
Reserved for Pokemon that are amazing in the Let's Go! Cup metagame. These Pokemon are usually able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.
Eevee
Pikachu

As a person who has played 1v1 since ORAS I have decent knowleadge of what works well.
E spped light ball pikachu, and scarf eevee are both good sets. But personally this is my favorite.

Pikachu @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Knock Off

a stall pikachu set. Seismic toss to kill (could easily be swapped with brick break)
only thing this really has trouble with is rest eevee.

Since ths meta isn't very diverse and there are no clauses or anything; I am assuming that a unbeatable strat is possible but as of now this is the closest thing I have.

Stall out with wish and protect and seismic toss. And use knockoff for opposing pikachus to eliminate their light balls.

As a person who has played 1v1 since ORAS I have decent knowleadge of what works well.
E spped light ball pikachu, and scarf eevee are both good sets. But personally this is my favorite.

Pikachu @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Knock Off

a stall pikachu set. Seismic toss to kill (could easily be swapped with brick break)
only thing this really has trouble with is rest eevee.

Since ths meta isn't very diverse and there are no clauses or anything; I am assuming that a unbeatable strat is possible but as of now this is the closest thing I have.

Stall out with wish and protect and seismic toss. And use knockoff for opposing pikachus to eliminate their light balls.
How does this beat evoboost eevee?

All the sets I know and have seen, plus a pastebin link with all the sets that will probably change as this meta progress.

https://pastebin.com/bFauKcug

Volt Tackle

Pikachu @ Light Ball

Ability: Lightning Rod

EVs: 248 Atk / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Dig

- Charge

- Volt Tackle

- Substitute

Electro Ball

Pikachu @ Light Ball

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD

- Electro Ball

- Agility

- Substitute

- Hidden Power [Ground]

COUNTER EVIOLITE

Pikachu @ Eviolite

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def

Brave Nature

- Counter

- Substitute

- Focus Punch

- Protect

FEAR CHU

Pikachu @ Focus Sash

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Brave Nature

- Endeavor

- Feint

- Fake Out

- Protect

SubPunch Encore

Pikachu @ Light Ball

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Encore

- Brick Break/Dig

- Substitute

- Focus Punch

REVERSAL CHU

Pikachu @ focus sash

Adamant Nature

- Substitute

- Protect

- Reversal

- Quick Attack

COUNTER SASH CHU

Pikachu @ Focus Sash

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk

Jolly Nature

- Counter

- Protect

- Feint

- Electric Terrain

XTREME EVOBOOST

Eevee @ Eevium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk

Adamant Nature

- Quick Attack

- Last Resort

- Wish

- Protect

Z MAGNET RISE

Pikachu @ Electrium Z

Jolly Nature

- Magnet Rise

- Substitute

- Dig

- Focus Punch

EEVEE COUNTER CHU

Pikachu @ Chilan Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Counter

- Substitute

- Protect

- Focus Punch

SCARF PIKA KILLER EEVEE

Eevee @ Choice Scarf

Jolly Nature

- Headbutt

- Double-Edge

- return

Z CHARM SUB PUNCH

Pikachu @ Fairium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Charm

- Substitute

- Focus Punch

- Wish

Z TEARS VOICE

Eevee @ Normalium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Fake Tears

- Hyper Voice

THUNDER TERRAIN

Pikachu @ Light Ball

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD

- Electric Terrain

- Thunder

- Protect

- Hidden Power [Ground]

Fightium Z CHU

Pikachu @ Fightinium Z

Jolly Nature

- Protect

- Substitute

- Focus Punch

- Dig

EVO CHARM CHU

Pikachu @ Eviolite

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Charm

- Substitute

- Focus Punch

- Wish

CHARM STALL EEVEE

Eevee @ Eviolite

Ability: Anticipation

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def

Impish Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Charm

- Toxic

- Wish

- Protect

BULKY ATTACK EEVEE

Eevee @ Eviolite

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Return

- Protect

- Quick Attack

- Substitute

STORED POWER

Eevee @ Eevium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

Lonely Nature

- Stored Power

- Quick Attack

- Last Resort

- Protect

Z Ground CHU

Pikachu @ Groundium Z

Jolly Nature

- Dig

- Substitute

- Protect

- Focus Punch

SEISMIC STALL

Pikachu @ Eviolite

Careful Nature

- Wish

- Protect

- Seismic Toss

- Knock Off

Laser Focus Crit Eevee

Eevee @ Eviolite

EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD

Impish Nature

- Laser Focus

- Double-Edge

- Charm

- Wish

Edit:the Counter Sash Chu set in the Lets Go Cup thread post can't exist because Electric Terrain is a gen 7 egg move and Counter is past gen / current event only

Last edited:
How does this beat evoboost eevee?
Thats what I meant. Also it beat evoboost eevee if it was the variant that didnt have rest or stored power

but now that ive played more and actually climbed up to 1500. Ive figured out evoboost is probably the best thing to run

Eevee @ Eevium Z
EVs: 212 HP / 248 Def / 4 SpA / 12 SpD / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Last Resort
- Stored Power
- Rest
- Snore

I went on a huge winning streak with this set, all the way to top 20 and still climbing.
Its so bulky it doesn't really need protect to take on pikachu with fake out, so I added stored power to deal with other evoboosting eevees
snore/rest deals with sub, focus punch, charm stall, and other bulky variants that don't output much damage.
the 12 SpDef EVs make stored power a 3HKO Instead of a Chance at 2 with a high roll (obviously they can still crit)
and the 32 speed is there to allow you to outspeed max speed Pikachu.

I was talking with NOVED on Showdown (birdguy28 is my alt) and it seems like Sub Charm Eevee is a decent choice against sets that will likely be common in the competition.

Eevee @ Eviolite
EVs: 244 HP / ?? Atk / 156 Def / ?? SpD / ?? Spe
Impish Nature
- Charm
- Double-Edge/Return
- Wish
- Substitute

General turn one strategy is Sub versus Eevee, Double-Edge/Return against Pikachu. Beats a lot of common stuff, like less bulky Pikachu, most physical Evoboost Eevee, Adamant Scarf Eevee locked into Double-Edge, some slower bulky Eevee, and a decent number of meme sets. Loses against most Pikachu that it can't OHKO, Evoboost Eevee with Hyper Voice and/or Stored Power, Scarf Eevee that use Return or Last Resort, Choice Band Eevee (I've seen a couple), and most status move/bulky Eevee that speed creep you. Sometimes you can play around stall-oriented Pikachu sets (never thought I'd say those words together...) with Substitute if you see Protect on turn 1.

Attack, Special Defense, and Speed EVs are all pretty flexible (you have 108 extra EVs to work with). The defense and HP EVs are needed to create 4 substitutes with 1 HP left and survive Fake Out + All Out Pummeling from max Attack Adamant Pikachu. 212 HP/164 Def EVs also serve the same purposes with fewer EVs, but it gives you less of a cushion from Double-Edge recoil.

If you run Return, you'll probably want to run 212 HP / 68 Att / 164 Def (64 flexible EVs) to almost guarantee the OHKO against 4 Def or 4 HP Scarf Eevee after it takes Double-Edge recoil (98.5% chance). A guaranteed KO requires 80 Att EVs, but that doesn't give you much to work with for leftover EVs. Return is nice for stall wars because of the extra PP and lack of recoil, but the loss in power can miss KOs on semi-bulky Pikachu. I've mostly been using Return and have just started playing around with Double-Edge after seeing NOVED use it, and so far I like the latter better.

I've used this set so far:
Pikachu
Light Ball
Careful 252 HP and the EV for def, spdef, that I survive 252 adamant eevee double edge and 252 timid Pikachu HP ground (can't remember exact EV... But if that set catches you, I can calculate for ya ;)

Protect (oppossing fake out)
Thunderbolt
Electric terrain (perfect for yawn, protect. Prevent sleep and sky high damage output)
HP ground (with rest of EV putted in spa it 0HKO most Pikachu)

Problems: bulky Eevees can Evoboost in front of you and 0HKO with Double Edge. Pikachus that use feint playing around my EVs and 0HKO with HP ground. Every Eevee that use double edge first turn and isn't KO from thunderbolt is using quick attack and KO me. Anything else is easily to beat. Sadly there isn't a best set because there is for all sets a counter so you can at best hope to beat the majority. I still have no counter for Evoboost Eevee :( is there a counter?

I've used this set so far:
Pikachu
Light Ball
Careful 252 HP and the EV for def, spdef, that I survive 252 adamant eevee double edge and 252 timid Pikachu HP ground (can't remember exact EV... But if that set catches you, I can calculate for ya ;)

Protect (oppossing fake out)
Thunderbolt
Electric terrain (perfect for yawn, protect. Prevent sleep and sky high damage output)
HP ground (with rest of EV putted in spa it 0HKO most Pikachu)

Problems: bulky Eevees can Evoboost in front of you and 0HKO with Double Edge. Pikachus that use feint playing around my EVs and 0HKO with HP ground. Every Eevee that use double edge first turn and isn't KO from thunderbolt is using quick attack and KO me. Anything else is easily to beat. Sadly there isn't a best set because there is for all sets a counter so you can at best hope to beat the majority. I still have no counter for Evoboost Eevee :( is there a counter?
Encore for protect scouting Eevees and Counter Sash if they decide to attack. Sub evoboost screws Pika over. Hyper Voice Evoboost almost always wins

The problem with running pretty much 0 SpA bulky Pika is that it will lose to Evoboost. You probably want Fake Out + Thunder, although since your Pika has such low SpA I'm not sure Thunder even has a chance of KOing. You can hope for paralysis though.

I've used a few minutes ago Pika with a simple set:
Timid
4/0/0/252/0/252
Fake out
Encore
Thunderbolt
HP Ground

50% winning rate, then comes an eevee... Protect, Encore (that was the moment I smile), Evoboost -> RIP... wtf? I think bulky variants are the only viable. I wish to use Evoboost by myself but cant find a spread where Eevee is bulky enough :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)