Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

I mean if you think about it, I (and probably many other experienced players out there) didn't need a game like this to get into pokemon games.
While possibly true, you have to consider how much the overall player base has changed in the last 15 years, and how it's not a case that games that requires you to learn most of the game "the hard way" are basically often limited to Dark Souls series.

TLDR version because I'm too tired for a wall of text now: modern super young playerbase doesn't want and rarely has interest in hard games, and borderline demands that you have 2 hours tutorials.
A problem that honestly affects a LOT of franchises (anyone of you has played Kingdom Hearts 2? Even Octopath Traveler itself? the list of atrociously long tutorials isn't really limited to Pokemon Games and is actually huge :P )

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've played Kingdom Hearts II multiple times and the actual tutorial stuff takes like a minute. The 3 hour prologue is mostly just story setup, and it teaches you a major mechanic by throwing you into a boss fight and forcing you to use it upon threat of death (though it's pretty safe anyway).

Also that game lets you play at Level 1 the entire time, which ain't easy. Pokémon refuses to challenge players at all.

I've played Kingdom Hearts II multiple times and the actual tutorial stuff takes like a minute. The 3 hour prologue is mostly just story setup, and it teaches you a major mechanic by throwing you into a boss fight and forcing you to use it upon threat of death (though it's pretty safe anyway).
Definitely, but you get what I meant.

There's lot of games who have *insanely long* tutorials or introduction sections, that are ultimately necessary for new players if you don't want to pull a FF15 and require players to have seen a thousand movies animes and comics to have basic understanding of what's going on around them :D

You know I was thinking about a few things:

This is could ( and probably is ) be an attempt to see how Let’s Go would be it’s own series. I personally wouldn’t mind a Let’s Go of Gold and Silver, since I love Johto’s story. They just better not replace Silver with someone like Trace.

On the topic of unskippable cutscenes and tutorials, I’ve wondered.... For a game who forces you to go through a cutscenes and tutorials to ensure you don’t miss any info, there’s never like a theater mode or a options you can replay the guides. I mean sure they did it in FRLG, but not in the new games. In case of a player wants to skip, they can watch in a Theater mode. Maybe it has to do with only one save file per game?

After failing to catch Registeel in a raid, I wonder if there’s going to be any raid elements in these games? I sure hope not

This is kind of unrelated, but I remember reading on Serenesforest page on Let’s Go, the same leakers also confirmed that Diamond and Pearl remakes are coming but shouldn’t expect them til 21. Unfortunately I can’t find the link, So I guess it’s nothing but a rumor.

I don’t have a Switch, but when I do. I probably won’t get it. It’s my first passing of a a Pokémon game, but when you compare it to games like breath of the wild, Odyssey, and. FE: 3 houses, Let’s Go isn’t worth 60$

the same leakers also confirmed that Diamond and Pearl remakes are coming but shouldn’t expect them til 21. Unfortunately I can’t find the link, So I guess it’s nothing but a rumor.
Honestly at this point I do to some degree expect both a DP and BW remake *at some point*.

It'd make sense in order to keep some alternating in future gens (ultimately the SM>USUM wasn't received very well and people would have rather had a remake or completely different game, than the same game with some variations).

For example, implying gen 8 games are released on schedule in 2019, end 2020/start 2021 with DP remakes would make sense and even probably be well received by the playerbase.

(Also it'd be the first time I'd like to play a remake considering gen 4 is the only gen i never got to play in either actual console or emulated version, but that's just me :D )

No one seems to have linked the original source yet:

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/pika_vee/story/180713_07.html

ポケモンジムとは?

ポケモンジムとは、ポケモンバトルの強さを競い合う施設。ジムリーダーを倒すと、勝利の証「ジムバッジ」が手に入る。バトルに挑むためには、入り口で提示される条件をクリアしなければならないぞ。条件は、持っているポケモンのタイプやレベルなどさまざまだが、結果的に、ジムリーダーとのバトルに有効な手段につながるぞ!
My Japanese sucks, but it says something about the challenge conditions being type and(?)/or(?) level, so it's not just types. It also seems to say that the condition must be met to battle, not just enter the Gym (if true, then the hypothesized workaround of meeting the condition, then exiting the Gym and coming back in with your real team is dead).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yes, I do agree that this is possibly annoying for players like us. Or for speedrunners.

Then you should remind you are forgetting what this game is designed for.
This game is designed for
- Complete novices of the Pokemon Series, with the aim of hyping them into buying generation 8 games
- Very old players so they can kill time playing Pokemon with their kids
The problem here isn't that the game is designed to appeal to those groups. It's that the design is directly alienating everybody else. If the game is as hand-holdy as the initial trailers make it seem, it'd deteriorate the experience of those who already are familiar with the concept and just want to explore the options (which is argually one of the greatest appeals of the games - your freedom to take on the challenge in any way you like). If the kids of said very old players don't turn out to like the game, the very old players won't have the same joy of playing the rest of the game out themselves.

This is what worries me the most about these games. They seem hell-bent on presenting the Pokémon games to an audience they don't trust to grasp the basic mechanics, to the point that they water down the appeal of the game by forcing easy solutions on you. It was bad enough with Mega Lucario being forced on you in XY, but at least you could quickly stuff it in your PC and move on. USUM essentially told you which of your moves were the best for any given situation, but if you were familiar with the type chart you knew that information already. Here, they seem to take it a step further by removing your option to choose, and treating every player as if they've never seen a Pokémon game before. "You don't know what to do, but we will show you the right way!" That's not fun, that's letting somebody else play the game for you.

Hopefully, the requirements won't be completely bonkers, like requiring you to have a Pokémon that's both super-effective against the leader's ace, and also outlevelling it. At that point, the entire game turns into one big tutorial.

EDIT: Not to mention how poorly this all synchs with the presentation of the game. They're cloning Kanto tile-by-tile to appeal to the people with such nostalgic feelings for RBY that they want to experience the game again, but also assume that those very same people never grasped the basic mechanics of the game, or alternately are completely unable to help their kids do so. Those completely new to the Pokémon games don't need the game to be based in Kanto, the old-fashioned layouts might even make the games less appealing than a new region would. Those playing the games with their kids don't need the difficulty so dumbed down. It's like Game Freak is designing the game so it doesn't meet anybody's expectations. I've said it before, I'll say it again: It seems like the target demographic for PLG is kids who played the Pokémon games for the first time in 1998 and liked it so much that they'll buy those exact same games again, and whom in 2018 are still kids and they're still playing the Pokémon games for the first time.

Last edited:
This is what worries me the most about these games. They seem hell-bent on presenting the Pokémon games to an audience they don't trust to grasp the basic mechanics, to the point that they water down the appeal of the game by forcing easy solutions on you.
I'll say it again: It seems like the target demographic for PLG is kids who played the Pokémon games for the first time in 1998 and liked it so much that they'll buy those exact same games again, and whom in 2018 are still kids and they're still playing the Pokémon games for the first time.
I can agree with you that *forcing* the mechanic is excessive.

But I believe I already spoke enough of the whole "Nintendo doesn't appreciate adults playing his game and would rather have only 8 year old or less playing" situation in my earlier wall of text :(

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Gym Requirements: *Sigh*
Let's remember, we can switch Pokemon on the fly, so this isn't that big of a deal. Annoying to speedrunners maybe but GF are not making this game for speedrunners so that's not an issue that even matters.
The issue is with how much handholding might go on and how it'll effect player's choice. Now, on paper, this ISN'T a bad idea. Pokemon is made to be a casual experience so not a bad idea to have maybe a little requirement in the front of the Gym to check if you're ready. Pewter asks if you have a Pokemon that are strong against Rock-types, fine, the game at that point hadn't really gone into Type match-ups and that's a good and quick way to do it. Plus its early in the game so suggesting to have a Grass or Water Type in your party isn't bad as you'll still be forming a team and thus can keep or take out that Pokemon later on. But what about later Gyms? Now they've said not all Gym requirements would be the same, and assuming these requirements are suppose to held guide the player in a way, what other seven tutorials could they do that by the fourth it doesn't feel like they're handholding or telling you something you should know by now?

Cerulean/Misty: With Misty having notably higher leveled Pokemon than Brock and an evolved Pokemon, maybe the requirement would be showing you have an evolved Pokemon.
Vermillion/Lt. Surge: Electric-types have a Type that's immune to it, so ask to see a Pokemon that's either immune or resistant to Electric-types.
Celadon/Erika: Fourth Gym, time for a level check (probably 30).
Fuchsia/Koga: With Koga being the master of status ailments, show a Pokemon who is immune to the moves Poison Powder, Sleep Powder, or Supersonic.
Saffron/Sabrina: By now any Pokemon that has three stage evolution should be in their final stage, show one of those Pokemon.
Cinnabar/Blaine: In the spirit of Blaine's Gym, it should ask to show a Pokemon which would pass the requirement for Vermillion Gym if they had trained Fire-types.
Viridian/Giovanni: Level check, but for your Starter (40?).

There, I don't think those would be too intrusive that, if you aren't able to answer them, it wouldn't be that hard to get a Pokemon that could answer that question.

Of course, I personally believe they SHOULDN'T have any requirements to go into the Gym, or at least not the way they're doing it. Like instead of having to show a Pokemon you have in your party, you just need to answer a simple question that'll recommend Types you should use. That would be fine, still serve the same purpose while still letting you go in with the team you want without having to switch out.

This is could ( and probably is ) be an attempt to see how Let’s Go would be it’s own series. I personally wouldn’t mind a Let’s Go of Gold and Silver, since I love Johto’s story. They just better not replace Silver with someone like Trace.
I'm sure that's what they're hoping for. Let's Go is our remake for Gen VII. For Gen VIII we'll probably get Gen IV remakes. For Gen IX we could then get a Let's Go Gen II remake. If Let's Go is successful they could set up a second series of remakes to prolong having to remake a generation cause in main series remakes we'll be entering the DS era.

We'll need to see what's the deal with Trace. If the player characters and Trace aren't replacement for Red & Blue but rather we're just another duo of trainers and Red & Blue are actual NPCs, then for Let's Go Gen II remakes they'd probably do the same thing. They could maybe incorporate it into the story, Elm will tell the player that after two trainers picked their Starters (implied to be Ethan and Kris/Lyra), a thief came in and stole the final Starter meant for us! But just then we hear a cracking sound, a Pokemon Egg that Elm was studying is hatching! And what that Egg hatches into sees and bonds with us so is given to us as our Starter (and for gameplay purposes it'll start at Level 5).

ポケモンジムとは?

ポケモンジムとは、ポケモンバトルの強さを競い合う施設。ジムリーダーを倒すと、勝利の証「ジムバッジ」が手に入る。バトルに挑むためには、入り口で提示される条件をクリアしなければならないぞ。条件は、持っているポケモンのタイプやレベルなどさまざまだが、結果的に、ジムリーダーとのバトルに有効な手段につながるぞ!
No one seems to have linked the original source yet:

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/pika_vee/story/180713_07.html

My Japanese sucks, but it says something about the challenge conditions being type and(?)/or(?) level, so it's not just types. It also seems to say that the condition must be met to battle, not just enter the Gym (if true, then the hypothesized workaround of meeting the condition, then exiting the Gym and coming back in with your real team is dead).
Basically on point.

What are Pokemon gyms?

Pokemon Gyms are facilities that allow you to engage in Pokemon battles. You will receive a "Gym Badge" if you beat the Gym Leader. In order to engage in gym battles, you must meet the requirements at the entrance. Conditions include bringing certain types of Pokemon or Pokemon at certain levels, which will help you defeat the Gym Leader!

So basically there could be other conditions too, wonder what they could be.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hmm, I just thought of something if having certain Pokemon is required to even battle in the Gyms:

I'm going to guess Pikachu and Eevee are always going to have to be on your team considering they're giving it customization options (and them looking to be the only ones with a Pokemon Refresh feature)(And the only way to remove them from your party is by putting them in the Poke Ball Plus). With so much focus being put on them, maybe they really want to direct the player to have Pikachu or Eevee as their ace. Increasing their base stats was a good start but, with these Gym requirements, what if they're trying to guide the player into thinking that the other 5 party slots are "expendable", meant to be constantly switched around in order to meet with the challenge ahead. That way Pikachu and Eevee are likely to keep ahead in levels and it encourages you to catch as many Pokemon as possible like in GO (not only to find a better member of that species but also to have Oak exchange your extra for candy). Though if that's done what do they plan on doing with the Elite Four? Will they also have someone ask you to fulfill certain requirements to challenge them (that would be an interesting way to fail the League challenge, not through team wipe but not having the Pokemon required to challenge that Elite Four member).

Honestly, the more info this gets the more this game feels like the worst from the older games, like the simple map design and the lack of variety among Pokémon types, and the worst from newer games, like the handholding and GO mechanics. Hopefully this ends being some Twins thing and LGPE is Danny DeVito because they're saving all the good ideas for Gen 8.

From Joe's twitter
Just imagine you being a parent and not knowing the Switch game you bought for your kid with this huge, distinctive POKÉMON logo on it, isn't actually pokemon.
Game is ridiculously dumbed down because Masuda thinks kids are retarded.
Game looks like a block of legos because Masuda thinks parents are retarded.

It looks pretty obvious that the game will have severe handholding everywhere. I don't quite see the problem with it.
The absolute state of pokemon

Last edited:
From Joe's twitter
Just imagine you being a parent and not knowing the Switch game you bought for your kid with this huge, distinctive POKÉMON logo on it, isn't actually pokemon.
Game is ridiculously dumbed down because Masuda thinks kids are retarded.
Game looks like a block of legos because Masuda thinks parents are retarded.
The absolute state of pokemon
To be fair, the Switch being what it is, I get they'd want parents to tell wether their kids are getting a friendly pep talk from Bizarro Blue or getting sandwiched to death between Ornstein and Smough.

As for the dumbing down, I assume they're just that terrified of mobile games. Hopefully the franchise will evolve towards the core games becoming more complex, less for-dumb-babies and the Let's Go glorified phone games that bring the big bucks

Good lord, the absolutley entitled and whiny as fuck adult Pokemon fans in this thread are utterly unbearable. Like, just actually think for once before you try and spew out fucking dumb as shit garbage like no-games literally just did

Good lord, the absolutley entitled and whiny as fuck adult Pokemon fans in this thread are utterly unbearable. Like, just actually think for once before you try and spew out fucking dumb as shit garbage like no-games literally just did
...would arguing for things that are better for kids because that’s what you want the games to be somehow be different? Both are self-interested; the more kid-friendly side isn’t somehow more noble because kids are good and nice.

Anyway Masuda seems like an awful influence on the games, based on everything he says publicly. Imagine where they could be without him.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Before I consider handing out infractions for unnecessary rudeness, may I ask you to elaborate? Care to go into detail of what it is you don't like instead of calling people garbage?

I'm not sure about how I feel about the possible gym mechanics, or the idea of the pokemon go features, or how "Dumbed Down" the game may be. Though the game is unreleased and I want to think about the positive ideas they added. Some of the little features they showcased I found really cool. Being able to customize your partner pokemon with hairstyles and outfits is honestly the most adorable thing I've ever seen. I Also love the return of pokemon following you. Not to mention you are able to ride larger pokemon, Riding on an arcanine would be awesome! I Do Understand the complaints other users have about the upcoming games, though I'm very sure this game is marketed torwards GO Players rather than hardcore main series players. I feel like people have forgotten that we still have gen 8 coming up and that Let's Go is a spin-off game.

I'm not sure about how I feel about the possible gym mechanics, or the idea of the pokemon go features, or how "Dumbed Down" the game may be. Though the game is unreleased and I want to think about the positive ideas they added. Some of the little features they showcased I found really cool. Being able to customize your partner pokemon with hairstyles and outfits is honestly the most adorable thing I've ever seen. I Also love the return of pokemon following you. Not to mention you are able to ride larger pokemon, Riding on an arcanine would be awesome! I Do Understand the complaints other users have about the upcoming games, though I'm very sure this game is marketed torwards GO Players rather than hardcore main series players. I feel like people have forgotten that we still have gen 8 coming up and that Let's Go is a spin-off game.
Except they have referred to it as a main series game, which has implications regarding what the G8 games will be like.

Except they have referred to it as a main series game, which has implications regarding what the G8 games will be like.
They have also however said thay g8 games will still feature the traditional pokemon RPG experience so I still fail at see how the potential "PLGO main series" should bother people playing the traditional ones.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Until we see how they handle the Gen 8 games we can't say whether anything from Let's Go has influenced the core series. Though they consider it part of the main series I think we'll see them say it's a parallel to the core series. So in other words we have two (maybe three) subcategory of maine series games: Core (and if you want have the Remakes be it's own subcategory) and Let's Go (if successful and they continue it; though if Let's Go isn't successful and they don't do anymore it may as well be shoved under the GenVIII umbrella as a small little oddity/experiment). That all said, if they do decide to implement anything from Let's Go into the core series I don't think we'd see it until Gen IX as Gen VIII is probably well into production to make any major changes to its mechanics.

That all said, I am seeing SOME things I wouldn't mind appearing in the core series. Many have been wanting following Pokemon back, and its a cool idea for the bigger ones you get to ride on them. Also, while I think there should be normal wild encounters, I think it'll also be a neat idea for us to see wild Pokemon on the field (maybe after submitting them in our pokedex). And there's the idea of Pokemon wearing clothes which seems intriguing...

BTW, how are we going to abbreviate those games? Bulbapedia is using PE using the typical practice of using the first letter of the version's names; though should there be something additional to notify it's part of the Let Go series like LG: PE?

I am looking forward to seeing wild encounters in the overworld, but I do not believe it is enough for me to buy this one. I wonder if the 2019 game will implement this as well. It looks promising.

In regards to the abbreviation, I'd say we just stick with "Let's Go," kinda like the case with Ultra. It's much easier to say it as an actual word, even if the Smogon abbreviation for Ultra is USUM.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)