Ability: Adaptability
Level: 50
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Yawn
- Last Resort
- Protect

28 Spe helps you outspeed +Spe Nature 252 Spe Pikachu at +2. You go max Def to help you surviving Z Focus Punch or Volt Tackle from Adamant max Atk Pikachu. Hyper Voice was chosen to beat SubPunches Pikachu. You can go Stored Power cause you tank Focus Punches very easily at +2 but you're weaker against Volt Tackle ones. Yawn helps you beating Eevees.
I really don't know how u can get that high with this set...

Today I made 8-2 with my Eviolith Eevee. As expected most are using Pikachu which is in nearly every case an auto-loss to my set ;)

The only losses were Toxic Stall Eevee and Pikachu Sash with counter. Both are an auto-loss to my set and it was impossible to win.

I was a bit surprised how bad the others play. There were Eevees without an item or toxic Pikachus with no bulk. I laughed after nearly every fight because of their silly plays :D really that were no wins, it was a massacre :D

I went 6-4 In my first 10, running Eviolite Hyper Voice Eevee. 2 losses to my own stupidity, 1 hax (paralysis and a critical hit went against me) and one against an Evoboost where I would have needed hax in my favour to win. Roughly 50/50 split Pikachu to Eevee, all ready to battle (i.e. EV trained & holding items) and a variety of tactics. The most annoying one was a presumably choice band Eevee using Headbutt. I won, but if I'd lost out on the flinches, it could have gone very differently.

Here is a set using anticipation:
Eevee (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Anticipation
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Baby-Doll Eyes
- Confide
- Rest
- Double Team

It is pretty bad but anticipation helps by telling you whether to use Confide or Baby-Doll Eyes against Pikachu which is nice.

Day 2: 9 of 10 won and the one I've lost to were bulky evoboost eevee, which is an auto-loss for my set. As I expected, there are many Pikachus around which can't break through my set. And because of that many Pikachus, Evoboost isn't really often used. So it's not impossible that I am No. 1 on the ladder xD to be honest: a higher winning would be just luck...

In my opinion it was predictable, that Eviolith Eevee will make the competition. At the beginning everyone thought that Evoboost Eevee will be the best. Okay, it's a big threat once activated. BUT there are many strategies to play around and often you have after the boost not enough HP to win. But in general the threat Evoboost is that great that many many people are running Pikachu. But this wasn't anticipated. Yeah, there are bulky Eevees on showdown, but the majority runs Pikachu. And my set eats Pikachus at breakfast:)

Oh and you can use Hat Pikachu. I have encountered one. On showdown it isn't allowed in this competition ;)

Last edited:
Eevee @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Hyper Voice

Was 18-2 on day 2, then crashed down in the final day. Went 15-0 againsts eevee's in the first two days then I went 4-6 against 10 eevee.

Since these games are so easy to play I made some notes while playing

G1 Eve . using evoboost with return. Easy stall out
g2 ivan - charm pikachu gets 2hko'd. Used electro ball which was actually super strong vs me due to relaxed nature
g3 swag boyz 101 - typical volt + fake out light ball easy win
g4 1624 from japan sub fightium easy win
g5 more japan missed rating but I jumped from 1564 to 1581 if you can figure it out - yawn protect eevee easy win
g6 1521 japan - evoboost t1 easy win even though they had wish
g7 1526 japan - shiny eevee!! yawn curse eevee that came down to sleep turns. I didn't get max sleep so won
g8 rael 1576 - evoboost t1 standard stall out routine
g9 mirei 1592 - laser focus eevee. They quit after return did 30% while I wished
g10 may with spaces 1610 - eevee DE t1. Scarf? they didn't crit so I won
g11 dodogama 1624 japan - yawn t1 protect t2 simple out stall
g12 1519 japan - pikachu first time in a while. Knock off into z-fight - I should have protected and won but didn't
g13 - 1639 japan - t1 yawn eevee. Didn't max sleep so won
g14 1582 japan - t1 yawn agaiin protect last resort and they even get 1 crit and a max sleep but can't kill me in time
g15 1528 japan - pikachu!!! fake out t1 protect t2 Z-fight t3 but it isn't enough
g16 1555 japan - very weak DE eevee got outstalled
g17 1531 japan -eevee user running pikachu top??? flail t1 what a set
g18 1533 japan - return spam eevee that could barely touch me
g19 1638 japan - yawn t1 eevee, protect last resort set means easy win
g20 1561 japan - pikachu finally. Fake out into z fight while I wish t2. Encores the wish means I lose. Arguably I should just hyper voice straight away if I see a weak fake out from pikachu so this was another avoidable loss.
g21 1626 japan black lagoon - yawn fake tears oh no, lost before I can wake up
g22 1607 japan - yawn evoboost :/ Didn't wake up in time to live
g23 joki 1692 from toronto - yawn t1 again sigh. Ran laser focus return. Still managed to out stall
g24 1608 japan - tickle t1 from an eevee. They rest and well fuck. Got a crit and still didn't 3hko it. Annoying loss
g25 yasuho from brazil 1638 - evoboost t1 First stored power did like 80% which scared me to death but I managed a low roll on the second one and lived.
g26 missed rating - against toxic eevee which I beat with my relaxed spread except when I miss the toxic t1 which happened here
g27 1667 japan - evoboost t1. Standard stall procedure win
g28 1639 japan - yawn t1 eevee DE t2 wow. They laser focus on the wish recovery turn then die to recoil + poison on the crit hit turn.
g29 1655 japan - yawn evoboost boo Return wouldn't 2hko but I then lost to crit + not waking up lol
g30 mie 1613 japan - evoboost t1 . Rests so I just forfeit.

Well, that was a really fun competition. I finished mid- to high- 1600's at 21-9. This was the set I ran:

Eevee @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 212 Def / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Tickle
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Rest

Just a physdef spread that can outspeed Eevee that have enough just to outspeed max Speed Pikachu at +2. Tickle was :sogood: against nearly all Eevee variants. All Pikachu variants fell to Return-->Quick Attack (bar the two that got lucky All-Out Pummeling/Brick Break crits), Choice Scarf/most physical Extreme Evoboost Eevee fell because of Tickle lowering Attack, special Eviolite hated having defense lowered, and Rest + Tickle absolutely wrecks Toxic Eviolite Eevee. The only unwinnable matchup I faced (which unfortunately was rather common) was special Extreme Evoboost Eevee. Regardless, this Eevee performed extraordinarily well and I had lots of fun all 30 battles.

Edit: Also surprisingly, Extreme Speed Pikachu was nonexistant for me and definitely the most interesting set I saw was Eviolite Eevee with Double-Edge and Last Resort. Pretty funny, but lost to Tickle.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
streamed this. did okay, but it was fun and ran into some funny sets so check it out if you like laughing at me

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/293327303

My set was:
Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 Atk / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Extreme Speed
- Brick Break
- Sleep Talk
Had the chance to bop a 1711 ranked player running Evoboost, but got a low roll Brick Break + E speed so they lived and beat me. Got lucky a few times after that game but stealing their points would have been great!

I chose Brick Break over Volt Tackle because I was losing on Showdown to Eevee that lived VT and KOed back thanks to the recoil.

Today I won 3 out of 10 :D in sum I won 20 out of 30 which is more than the expected value :) because if the triangle Eviolith Eevee > Pikachu > Evoboost > Eviolith Eevee ... You would automatically win against all the sets you are in advantage (33,33%) and in the mirrors it's about 50:50, so the average winning rate have to be 50%. So with 66,66% I am very lucky and I saw, that it wasn't possible to play better.

Today I lost mostly against Evobooster which are auto-loss, so even god couldn't win that matches :D another loss went to sash counter Pikachu which is also unbeatable whith my set and a annoying battle against a Eevee whith attract (which works against me 6 times in a row ...), toxic, double team, rest. I wished the battle was in real life so I get the chance to punch this guy xD I am kidding ;) the last loss went to my own set which in the end was decided through coin flip (speed tie). In the end I played every match perfect and loss only to the auto-losses and that annoying guy with attract and the unbelievable unfavourable hax included. Sure, I could used rest instead of sleep talk like the guy above, but I won many matches against yawn Eevees simply because I could attack while sleeping and the trade off was to lose against Toxic stall.

The challenge was funny, because you can choose a set which beats that dumb low ladder guys, but in the end it was high ladder a no-brainer because of the luck or bad luck which set you face. For me I've learned a lot how to choose EV and nature and so on because you only have to consider 2 Pokemon and in other tounaments you can't EV for everything. In this challenge I think I had the best spread possible and can use this knowledge to play even better on other tournaments. I wish everyone who is still playing fun and good luck :)

(offtopic: which glasses look best to the expensive Gracidea female outfit? Sadly I have Ultra Sun, so no oversized glasses :( )

I went 19-11 and ranked somewhere in the low 1600s in the end with the following Eevee:

Eevee @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Def / 172 SpA
- Hyper Voice
- Snore
- Protect
- Yawn

EVs were set to guaranteed survival against Fake-Out + Z-Move Focus Punch from an Adamant Pikachu, which would guarantee me getting them to sleep. I did come across just such a Pikachu in one battle, so it turned out to be a good plan. I then put everything else into special attack to give me a chance to 3-4hko most Evoboost Eevees if I were to get lucky on sleep. That also happened on quite a few occasions. I went for special attack Eevee because it looked to me like most people were going high on physical defense, so a surprise hyper voice would hurt more than Return. It also had decent synergy with Snore, both being special attacks. Being able to hit through Substitute was very useful too.

I hadn't practiced on Showdown at all before the competition, which showed in my first few matches, where I made a few mistakes. Once I'd got my plan of use sorted out, it was into a case of follow out a set procedure depending on the opposition.

This competition was a very different style to any other - there was no room for tactics mid-battle, everything was decided based on what you brought, plus a little dose of RNG. I quite liked that in that I could spend time designing what I thought was the best possible option for the competition and then play it out in a simple orderly fashion. Wouldn't want it to be the same for every competition though.

If I were to do this again, I'd probably drop Snore for Fake Tears. I was only put to sleep in 3 matches and I lost all of them anyway due to my opponent waking up first.

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I went 22-5 and decided to forego the last 3 battles as I reached my goal (1700) and didn't feel like gambling it (I got punished for getting greedy after reaching a rating I wanted in previous competitions :P).

This was my set:

Impish 76 HP / 180 Atk / 228 Def / 4 SpDef / 20 Spe

The spread is slightly modified from the excellent one R Inanimate suggested for this set on Trainer Tower - I added quite a bit of speed for a better chance at winning the mirror matchup, and knowing others would invest a bit in speed for the same reason, I tried to speed creep further. This led to a crazy game against someone ranked 1721, as we brought each other down to about 5% HP, and I won a speed tie for the first time at the end to take the win, while we probably both assumed I had lost since they had won the speed tie every time thus far!

The set is nothing too inventive, I started with a simple Yawn / Protect / Last Resort, but I loved the idea of Laser Focus to give myself a chance against Evoboost and Charm / Baby-Doll Eyes, so I tried it along with Last Resort on Showdown and it worked really well. Having to Laser Focus every time before the Last Resort was annoying against offensive Pikachu since I relied on them not waking up turn 1. The odds were in my favour, but that made it more of a gamble than it had to be, so I ended up switching to Double-Edge, which I absolutely hated. The recoil worked against my bulk and gave opposing Eevees 2HKOs where they should have had 3HKOs. I downgraded to Return and never looked back; I had underestimated the power of the Adaptability boost!

I also made sure to breed a female Eevee since it has a overwhelming male ratio, in case some troll decided that Attract + Evasion would be a fun strategy. Surely, such person would have a female Eevee to catch the vast majority of male ones in the competition, so female seemed like the right call.

Autolosses for this set were Electric Terrain Pikachu (haven't met one in the actual competition) and Sub Pikachu if it was Light Ball Focus Punch/Z-move (also haven't seen any). Toxic Eevee was a bad matchup but I could win if they got the 3 turns of sleep (it was important to not Laser Focus on their Wish, but rather the following turn - the guaranteed turn of sleep - then Return on turn 1 of sleep, Return turn 2 of sleep, and Return again turn 3 of sleep for the KO).
Evoboost was not a great matchup but Laser Focus gave me a good chance; those with no bulk I had very high odds of winning against, and those with bulk I had decent odds if Crit Return + Return did enough. Yawn + Evoboost came down to sleep turns, and if I could get the same number of sleep turns as them or less, I could Yawn while I wake up and they attack, Protect the next turn, and then the field is mine!

In the competition, I won every mirror matchup (thanks to my speed, in my opinion, though sleep turns could have screwed me, so I got lucky in that regard), and every Pikachu matchup except for a Volt Tackle paralysis into full para the same turn - nothing I could do.

Overall, I really liked the set, I think its main strength was the fact that in addition to winning the matchups it naturally won, it gave me at least a fighting chance against most other sets and had few autolosses.

As noted by other competitors, the first day, I saw mostly Pikachu, some of them with the expected Z-Focus Punch, but also many random ones with the different signature Z-moves. The last 2 days, I saw only 1 Pikachu in 17 games, which goes to show Eevee was definitely the right call for this competition...!

Good luck to everyone who has yet to play their remaining games!

Last edited:
Eevee @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 10 Atk
- Double-Edge
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Odd HP to counter %- based attacks. Plenty of opponents died to my Toxic, because, I assume, they had an even HP number. I didn't get into such a position because I could just Rest off the damage.

Initially I went with Curse over Toxic, but realising how bulky Eevee already was, I considered Toxic to beat other stallers.

Besides Evoboosts, there were only a handful of sets that could beat me. The ones that jumped out were:
- Tickle Pikachu (I expected an easy win);
- Fake Tear Eevee (ruin my worse SpD even further will you?);
- ExtremeSpeed Pikachu (since when can Pikachu do that?!)

I really hated critical hits from Fightium Z Pikachu. They normally wouldn't win this match, but I lost 3 games to it.

I ended this competition with 1645 back to 1628 and up an unknown amount in my final win.

Ended the competition at (21-9) 163X with the set Kowasabii posted, except speed crept by a point. It was the Evoboost/stored power/rest/snore set. Went 13-3 vs eevee and 8-6 vs pikachu. I felt like I was a little unlucky since I had one loss due to a dc and 3 losses due to crits (not including laser focus), but so it goes. I felt like this was a good call since it beats all eevee (or so I thought, it lost to laser focus, a random crit, and one eevee that speed crept me, was bulky enough not to get KO'd by Stored Power + Snore + Snore, but also 3hko'd me).

Pikachu should have been a worse matchup, but I ran into a decent number of knock off or yawn sets.

The other lesson I learned was to run a female eevee, since I ran into two attract (thankfully I beat both).

Well this was definitely an interesting competition.

Since the battles seemed to be relatively fast I decided to enter with both of my games so I could try out both a Pikachu and an Eevee set. Ended up going 24-6 with Pikachu, with a rating around 1730 and 18-12 with Eevee, with a rating just under 1600. So overall not too bad.

Here’s my Pikachu set:

Pikachu (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Charm
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

Originally I was testing out double team and attract over charm, to give me a chance to beat evoboost, but I ended up deciding on charm because it was more consistent, and while it does mean I loose to special evoboost Eevee, It gives me a better matchup vs most other sets.

The idea with this set is to spam seismic toss vs Pikachu and use charm vs Eevee. Most Pikachu can’t do enough damage to this set before you knock them out with seismic toss, and most variants of Eevee can’t do enough damage to break through this set after using charm.

Overall, this Pikachu generally beats every set except for special evoboost Eevee, hidden power ground Pikachu, and some variants of knock off Pikachu.

For Eevee, I decided to use the set that CuneH8sVappy posted on this thread:

Eevee @ Eviolite
EVs: 244 HP / 68 Atk / 156 Def / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Charm
- Double-Edge
- Wish
- Substitute

For the most part it’s the same set that was posted, but for the extra evs I ran 36 speed evs to try and speed creep Eevees with enough speed investment to outspeed max speed Pikachu at +2, with the remaining evs in attack for more power.

Unfortunately I ran into a lot of evoboost Eevees and Eevees with moves like yawn and hyper voice which give this set trouble. Otherwise the set worked pretty well.

Overall this competition was a nice change of pace from previous competitions. It was a lot of fun testing different sets and I’m really glad my Pikachu set was able to do so well.

In the end was the influence of skill 10% by choosing an archetype (Eviolith, Lightball, Evoboost) and 90% if someone crit and most important what you are facing.

Screenshot_2.jpg

I only managed to battle 20 times, as I reached my goal (high 1600 - 1700+) sorry for german picture

Eevee @ Eevium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Quick Attack
- Protect
- Last Resort

I went 17-3, I lost once again Light Ball Volt Tackle and once again some Yawn / Protect. I forgot the third loss

252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eevee: 142-168 (87.6 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO <-- had to be Adamant

I faced a few Charm Eevee who tryed to equalize my Attack Bonus due to Evoboost, but that doesn't bothered me at all, since I ran Hyper Voice over Return or Double Edge. Another reason to run Hyper Voice is to hit Sub Pika, which I faced like two times.

I won the most Evoboost Mirrors because of my bulky set, and I predicted that most of the Eevees are physical so I piloted maximum physical Defense to survive 2 Double Edges (First Double Edge dealt +- 60%, after my Evoboost, they needed a crit to kill me)

252 Atk Adaptability Eevee Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eevee: 88-104 (54.3 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Adaptability Eevee Double-Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Eevee: 44-54 (27.1 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

Protect is against Pikachu to dogde Fake Out or First Turn Fighting Z Moves.
Quick Attack just for priority

Well, since ratings came out like a few minutes ago as of me writing this, might as well post how I did. I finished with a score of 1671, placing me 141th worldwide and 10th in the US
mr worldwide.JPG

mr us.JPG

Ranked 30th with 22/4 wins/loses. After not founding people for my 27th battle, I decided to stop and wanted to secure a good rank.
I beat every eevee with eviolite and Eevium Z, lost againt Pikachu sash counter, choice scarf, Z double-edge and probably a choice band.

PikaPika (Pikachu) @ Light Ball
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Extreme Speed
- Brick Break
- Sleep Talk

1534228008150.png

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ranked 30th with 22/4 wins/loses. After not founding people for my 27th battle, I decided to stop and wanted to secure a good rank.
I beat every eevee with eviolite and Eevium Z, lost againt Pikachu sash counter, choice scarf, Z double-edge and probably a choice band.

PikaPika (Pikachu) @ Light Ball
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Extreme Speed
- Brick Break
- Sleep Talk

View attachment 132489
Nice! I used the same set so I'm glad you did well. I ran into like 4 Scarf Eevee alone which sucked, as well as 3 Breakneck Blitz, got an unlucky damage roll against an Evoboost user who was at 1711, as well as losing my first 2 games to totally jank sets (one of them was Bright Powder + Sand Attack Eevee which I never hit lol).

The comp was silly but fun. All I can complain about is THIS

I even lose coinflips in the final rankings :psygrump:

Haha don't make the rankings more important than they are in this competition. It was 90% dependent on what you are facing AND when you quit. If I have had quit after day 2 I was ~1700 and now I closed with 1588 (rank ~700 or something like that) because on day 3 they all had that few sets which mine can't beat.

Oh and if someone don't saw it: Eevee had the highest usage rate so we all get an Eevee wallpaper xD

Official usage stats don't include so-called "low ladder" players (which roughly correlates to a minimum rating of 1545-1550), but among those players who did qualify for inclusion, Eevee out-represented Pikachu by a factor of almost 3 to 1. I can't see exactly how many of the 6100 players qualified; the cutoff is probably somewhere around #1400, and above that line there were exactly 380 qualifying Pikachus so around a thousand left for Eevee.

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Ended up 67th in the world with 1704.

I had a laugh when the competition was announced, but in the end it was pretty fun!

If I have had quit after day 2 I was ~1700 and now I closed with 1588 (rank ~700 or something like that) because on day 3 they all had that few sets which mine can't beat.
I had literally the same record as you after day 2 (17-3) and I was 1641, so I don't understand how this same record had you at 1700 after day 2. The climb is always slower in the first days because most people are low (we're all starting) and thus don't give many points.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)