Event Discussion

As usual, it's probably so they'll sell more merchandise. As for why the Newsletter, my best guess is there might be some logistics thing preventing them from doing NN in some regions and serial codes in others (maybe region spoofing?), so they "have to" do serial code everywhere.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
As usual, it's probably so they'll sell more merchandise. As for why the Newsletter, my best guess is there might be some logistics thing preventing them from doing NN in some regions and serial codes in others (maybe region spoofing?), so they "have to" do serial code everywhere.
You know, if that's the goal, maybe in addition to giving it away for free at a real life location, why not also include a serial code with merchandise relating to the Pokemon from the online store or after purchasing over a certain amount?

That might be "overt enough" to turn away enough players, while putting it in a store is less overt. If my memory is correct, Japan does this a lot more frequently.

Reshiram and Zekrom have been confirmed to be avalible via Nintendo Network for Europe and Australia, trainer club letter for Canada, and Target stores for US. Also, Zeraora will be avalible in GameStop as well. I guess they decided to do Target because Zeraora is being distributed the same day at GameStop. Normally I wouldn’t, but since VGC 19 is here, I see now there giving off these events. How come Australia and Europe via Nintendo Network? Why do North Americans have to use code cards?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, Reshiram & Zekrom vid actually had some interesting tibit:
It was the story team that requested for the moves Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt because they wanted some "special explosive move". Though it's not quite clear what exactly the request was. Did they specifically say they wanted a pair of moves that got more powerful if the other was used before it (which would make sense for the final N battle which expects the player to use this effect)? I can't see the request be any less since, well, GF was probably going to give them powerful moves anyway (infact they did, perhaps Blue Flare and Bolt Strike was the original Signature Moves for the two before the story team made the request).
Anyway, the other fact was nothing, pretty much saying what their Signature Abilities did (no, don't explain why you decided to give both glorified clones of Mold Breaker...). But hey, at least we got something interesting.

So, Reshiram & Zekrom vid actually had some interesting tibit:
It was the story team that requested for the moves Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt because they wanted some "special explosive move". Though it's not quite clear what exactly the request was. Did they specifically say they wanted a pair of moves that got more powerful if the other was used before it (which would make sense for the final N battle which expects the player to use this effect)? I can't see the request be any less since, well, GF was probably going to give them powerful moves anyway (infact they did, perhaps Blue Flare and Bolt Strike was the original Signature Moves for the two before the story team made the request).
Anyway, the other fact was nothing, pretty much saying what their Signature Abilities did (no, don't explain why you decided to give both glorified clones of Mold Breaker...). But hey, at least we got something interesting.
Also, the people also stated that Reshiram and Zekrom were mascots because they were black and white and the theme was opposites... Does that mean they were deliberately chosen to be opposite colors of their games for the theme's sake? Or was it mentioning that there just the colors of the game?

Also, the people also stated that Reshiram and Zekrom were mascots because they were black and white and the theme was opposites... Does that mean they were deliberately chosen to be opposite colors of their games for the theme's sake? Or was it mentioning that there just the colors of the game?
I would assume they were deliberately chosen for their games to further the yin yang symbolism.

Just a reminder. The Zeraora event started last week at GameStop, and runs until November 9. For those in the US, the Reshiram/Zekrom event ends at Target on October 28. (that's this Sunday)

Also, the HA Alolan starter distribution through Pokemon Bank is due to end on October 31. (that's this coming Wednesday)

From now (November 2) until November 25, GameStop will be distributing the final Year of the Legendary codes, those being for Ho-oh and Lugia. For those in the UK, they'll be distributed through GAME stores.

I'm sure Pikachu315111 will share TPC's video for these two shortly after it's up... though I'm not holding my breath for anything amazing.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
ha get wrecked pikachu315111

Interesting thing is that they acknowledge USUM's Burn Up Ho-Oh. They actually also explain game mechanics and say that if you use Roost after using Burn Up Ho-Oh goes typeless (rather than what happens with a normal pure Flying type that uses Roost where they go Normal).

They also explain why they decided not to go with Water for Lugia's typing. Basically they realized Psychic types as of Gen 2's development = stupidly good so they wanted Lugia to be that type, and not making it a Flying type wouldn't make sense to them since it was clearly flying.

They also explain why they decided not to go with Water for Lugia's typing. Basically they realized Psychic types as of Gen 2's development = stupidly good so they wanted Lugia to be that type, and not making it a Flying type wouldn't make sense to them since it was clearly flying.
So that's why Lugia has Water in everything but its typing? Because they changed its type during development?

So that's why Lugia has Water in everything but its typing? Because they changed its type during development?
Tbh it's one of the few times I actually see a company admit they made a questionable specific decision in order to make something broken competitively :P

Then why make it a psychic type and give it huge defensive stats even when psychic is meant for offense?
It's gen 2 we talking about. Lugia's stats were massive for gen 2, and Psychic was a strong typing in both directions (there were very few dark and steel types, and ghost being phisical type meant shadow ball coverage barely meant anything)

Then why make it a psychic type and give it huge defensive stats even when psychic is meant for offense?
Psychic was fine in defense back then. Lugia was neutral to Bug, Ghost sucked in terms of STABs and so did Dark (which it tanked quite well due to base 154 Special Defense).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
ha get wrecked pikachu315111
Yeah, sorry, I was kind of at work to make money so I could live.

But for once I would say both trivia they gave was interesting, Lugia's more than Ho-Ohs.

Burn Up Ho-Oh: First off, I didn't realize that the Ultra Space Ho-Oh and Lugia (sorta) came with special moves. Ho-Oh has Burn Up while Lugia gets Skill Swap (which it could also learn via Move Tutor). No other Legendary looks to get this special treatment which is a bit odd, though what they said might be the reason why. They wanted to give Ho-Oh Burn Up since, when it uses Roost, for that turn it'll become typeless. So they gave the Ultra Space one Burn Up, but the probably felt it was unfair for its counterpart not to get a special move so gave Lugia Skill Swap. I'm curious if they remember Skill Swap was a Move Tutor move so gave it to Lugia as not to have two Pokemon with special moves... though with all that said I don't know why they just didn't change Ho-Oh's movepool to include Burn Up (replace it with Fire Blast, a move that Ho-Oh can get via TM).
BTW, the Event Ho-Oh does come with Burn Up (and the Lugia with Skill Swap).

Lugia's Type:
Glad they chose Psychic over Water. Water/Flying isn't that great of a type combination. Though I would have though instead of Flying they could have done Dragon. Water/Dragon is a great typing. I guess they either didn't want to step on the heels of Kingdra or they were for some reason stuck on it being Flying-type. Speaking of which.
2. They were focused on Flying-type because it wouldn't make sense for a Pokemon that flies to be hit by a Ground-type move. Oh GameFreak, I have a few Pokemon that want to speak with you. First these Pokemon who are from Gen I and II: Beedrill, Venomoth, Magnemite family, Gastly family, Koffing family, Misdreavus, Unown, Scizor, Celebi. And that's not including the Pokemon who are floating likethe Porygon family, Mewtwo, and Mew. Now, in Gen III they did address some like Gastly family, Koffing family, and Misdreavus by giving them the Levitate Ability and Magnemite family by giving them Magnet Rise... but not only did they not provide an "answer" for why all the others are still hit by Ground-type moves (or why grounded Flying-types like the Doduo family are) but since then we also got Mega Charizard X, Mega Gyarados, Dustox, Volbeat, Illumise, Glalie, Mega Altaria, Castform, Shuppet, Beldum family, Jirachi, Deoxys, Lake Guardians, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, Arceus, Victini, Munna family, Cottonee family, Yamask family, Solosis family, Reshiram, Kyurem, Meloetta, Flabebe family, Spritzee, Inkay family, Hoopa, Decidueye, Cutiefly family, Comfey, Island Guardians, Cosmog family, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Kartana, Poipole & family.
3. Was this decision made before they decided to nerf Psychic-types? Odd they decided to make it Psychic because it was an OP type in the generation where they fixed the Ghost-type weakness issue, made Shadow Ball, and introduced the Dark- and Steel-type which one of their purpose was to counter Psychic-types.

2. They were focused on Flying-type because it wouldn't make sense for a Pokemon that flies to be hit by a Ground-type move. Oh GameFreak, I have a few Pokemon that want to speak with you
Wild guess: consider that generally games start getting developed way before they get published. It is possible that while they were finalizing Gen 2, gen 3 was already under developement, and so they were already planning on Levitate to "fix" some of those.

Also consider there's a difference between Flying types and Levitators: Flying types generally literally fly with wings (rip Beedrill and Venomoth btw), while Levitate users don't actually fly but rather hover via magic/psychic abilities or being made of gas or stuff like that.
Lugia actually is a bird so Flying type is definitely more appropriate than Levitate.

3. Was this decision made before they decided to nerf Psychic-types? Odd they decided to make it Psychic because it was an OP type in the generation where they fixed the Ghost-type weakness issue, made Shadow Ball, and introduced the Dark- and Steel-type which one of their purpose was to counter Psychic-types.
On this, I go back to what I said earlier: even though Dark/Steel types were introduced in order to reduce the brokeness of Psychic Types, gen 2 didn't exactly have amazing ones.
- There was no real Steel stabs, and Dark stabs were special and generally terribly distributed (very few mons had Crunch, and it was almost always phisical mons)
- Magnemite family was still mediocre due to average speed and now sporting a 4x weakness to one of the most common attacks in game (Earthquake)
- Umbreon and Murkrow had no real offensive stats to speak of
- Skarmory was a defensive pokemon, so was Forretress, and toghether with Scizor was neutral to Lugia's flying stab anyway.
- Shadow Ball was a Phisical attack, so opposite issue of Bite/Crunch, as it was mostly distributed to special atkers.

So yes Psychic types were still particularly powerful and with little counters, at least to start with.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Also consider there's a difference between Flying types and Levitators: Flying types generally literally fly with wings (rip Beedrill and Venomoth btw), while Levitate users don't actually fly but rather hover via magic/psychic abilities or being made of gas or stuff like that.
But let's not forget there are some exceptions. Vibrava, Flygon, & Vikavolt are winged Pokemon who aren't Flying-type but have Levitate and the Doduo family, Gyarados, & Minior are Flying-types without really an explanation why or how they're flying.

But let's not forget there are some exceptions. Vibrava, Flygon, & Vikavolt are winged Pokemon who aren't Flying-type but have Levitate and the Doduo family, Gyarados, & Minior are Flying-types without really an explanation why or how they're flying.
Minior may be a Flying type, but it's not so much flying as it is falling with style. Gyarados is so angry that it constantly falls and misses the ground. (or maybe it has something to do with its origins/inspiration)

It actually is

Its Flying-type may be a reference of koinobori, a carp-shaped wind sock traditionally flown to celebrate the Children's Day in Japan, formerly called Tango no Sekku (端午の節句). - Bulbapedia
Celebrate Children's Day with a Pokemon known to raze everything to the ground and then raze the ground too... I guess that explains why it's usually depicted with its mouth open.

And here I thought its Flying type was because the Lake of Rage was created where the last person tried telling a bunch of Gyarados they couldn't fly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)