Online Competition ~Ultra Spooky Cup~ :ghost: | Shiny Mimikyu as entry gift!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Prepare to get totally SPOOKED with the next online competition. It's basically BSS with only spooky mons allowed. We had a similar format during ORAS but it was doubles, so we can't really look to that for an idea on the meta. Another big difference is that this format allows mythical legendaries, so get out your Marshadow and Darkrai!

RULES:
  • 3v3 Singles (6v6 team preview)
  • Mega Stones are banned
  • "National Pokédex No. 001 through 807 are eligible, excluding some Legendary Pokémon, most Mythical Pokémon, and all Pokémon that are not spooky"
  • Pokemon must be born in a gen 7 game (SM/USUM). Gen 6 and below are banned
  • Everything will be forced to level 50 during battle (no level 1 shenanigans)
  • 15 battles per day, 3 days. unplayed battles from previous days carry over to the next day(s)

PRELIMINARY VIABLE POKEMON: (alphabetical order)
  • Aegislash
  • Araquanid
  • Bewear (immune to ghost, resists dark)
  • Bisharp
  • Blacephalon
  • Chandelure
  • Crawdaunt
  • Darkrai (exclusive to South Korean movie event, will be uncommon as a result)
  • Ditto
  • Drapion (only weak to Ground, uncommon offensive type)
  • Eevee
  • Galvantula
  • Gengar
  • Glalie
  • Gliscor
  • Golisopod
  • Hydreigon
  • Krookodile
  • Liepard (Tacticat is available thanks to Parasect + Ditto being legal, although kept in check by plethora of Dark-types)
  • Malamar
  • Marshadow
  • Mawile (non-mega but rare fairy type. life orb + sheer force can hit hard or sash with metal burst / endeavor / rocks)
  • Mimikyu
  • Muk (Alola)
  • Naganadel
  • Nihilego
  • Omastar (Shell Smash is likely good)
  • Rotom (all formes. these two are likely best)
  • Scolipede
  • Sharpedo
  • Shiinotic
  • Silvally (all types. cold be interesting as a way to have more type diversity on a team)
  • Slurpuff
  • Tangrowth
  • Toxapex
  • Umbreon
  • Volcarona
  • Weavile
  • Xurkitree

Did I miss anything? What looks good at a first glance? Anything broken?

Oh by the way the prize for entering is a freaking shiny Mimikyu!

Tagging LegoFigure11 to get it on PS

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol I see Glalie is allowed. Man I think that means I'm gonna use Scarf Chandelure, screw that thing lol

On a serious note, besides the obvious Darkrai (gonna be hell to get though) and Marshadow, something we've been discussing in chat is that Xurkitree and Naganadel seem to be lacking a lot of their more defensive checks, so those are probably going to be more dangerous than usual!

Also on the Silvally note, I sorta feel like trying a bulky Fairy Silvally. I think it may compete with Granbull a bit, but we don't have a lot of good Fairy-types anyways, and Silvally has decent speed, and I still think Parting Shot is a pretty brilliant move tbh.

Oh yeah speaking of Granbull, I might try that on TR teams, since it has 120 base Attack, and Intimidate could always come in handy. Still, I think Mimikyu will remain the king of Fairy-types in this format! But I think using them together sounds usable, especially since I imagine Granbull does better vs Marshadow :P

Marshadow immediately jumps out as the premier threat, followed by (in no particular order) Gengar, Hydreigon, Aegislash, and Darkrai. Xurkitree might be an interesting anti-meta pick.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How are Silvally, Slurpuff, and Shiinotic creepy? cant say you should add Hoopa and Espeon to the viable list.

Are Z-Crystals allowed?
Yeah Z-Crystals appear to be allowed.

Also speaking of Slurpuff, that thing and Galvantula being allowed probably means that Sticky Webs is fully usable. I'd personally prefer Galvantula because I like its speed tier, but Slurpuff does at least OHKO Hydreigon and hit Marshadow leads hard. Not sure if I'd use Endeavor Slurpuff in this case because theres too many Ghost-types imo.

Oh and of course theres Sticky Webs Araquanid, which may go well for teams that are less focused on setting up webs.

Seems like a fun enough time despite the utterly barbaric Bibarel ban. Good luck to everyone playing in this.

edit: If you catch me on discord/ps, I can most likely hand out duped Alamos Darkrai and other eventmons (Marshadow) to people in need once the the meta matures a bit as we get closer to the tournament.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How are Silvally, Slurpuff, and Shiinotic creepy? cant say you should add Hoopa and Espeon to the viable list.

Are Z-Crystals allowed?
I omitted them on purpose. hoopa being 4x weak to ghost and dark, ie every pokemon in this format, with a bad speed tier seems bad lol.

same as espeon but to a lesser extent. it might be able to receive boosts from eevee or lead for screens but I don't think it'll actually stand out.

English PGL is wrong as usual. Transferred Pokemon are allowed.

Japanese PGL wins again
what is the exact wording? if it's true that their explanations differ that is such a huge blunder. to specifically mention "must have a black clover symbol" and be wrong is laughable

It's not unprecented; back in Weakness Cup there was an even more egregious error where the English side claimed it was a singles format even though it actually ended up being doubles.

And hey: they took the time to mark Unown as "spooky enough" to be legal, which a clover-only rule would completely nullify.

Theorymon

I omitted them on purpose. hoopa being 4x weak to ghost and dark, ie every pokemon in this format, with a bad speed tier seems bad lol.

same as espeon but to a lesser extent. it might be able to receive boosts from eevee or lead for screens but I don't think it'll actually stand out.

what is the exact wording? if it's true that their explanations differ that is such a huge blunder. to specifically mention "must have a black clover symbol" and be wrong is laughable
Regular Hoopa seems trash, but I’ll probably test out Hoopa-Unbound since it had enough SpD to potentially be useful on TR sets, and I like that its sig moves ignore Protect, which may br nice vs stall teams vs Gliscor. I’ll also probably give scarf ones a try.

Also, yeah mistakes like this aren’t new tbh. This would at least make getting Darkrai readonsble!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Regular Hoopa seems trash, but I’ll probably test out Hoopa-Unbound since it had enough SpD to potentially be useful on TR sets, and I like that its sig moves ignore Protect, which may br nice vs stall teams vs Gliscor. I’ll also probably give scarf ones a try.

Also, yeah mistakes like this aren’t new tbh. This would at least make getting Darkrai readonsble!
Hoopa-U seems to be banned, its spot in the eligible Pokemon list is greyed out on the PGL...

Honestly they might have gone and bloody done the impossible - make a competition where Marshadow is more important than no holds barred.

Zoroark is going to cause major headaches. I usually end up finding a core group of 4-5 Pokemon in the 3v3 competitions, so just add a Zoroark to make everyone second guess themselves.

Something else that jumps out at me is that bulky teams look pretty bloody annoying this competition, so you'll always have to consider them.

6 of Amuk/Gliscor/Toxapex/Tangrowth/Umbreon/Ditto or Marshadow (to revenge kill anything set up)/Aegislash/Mandibuzz is going to be a nightmare to kill

Theorymon

So important PSA: transfers are allowed, the english site just made a mistake, snd corrected it!

Not sure what this does beyond make Darkrai reasonable to get and let you use celebrate stuff (I’m a bit skeptical of Celebrate Umbreon since it can’t outspeed Marshadow btw), but can anyone else think of any important transfers?

Thought I'd ask if there were any plans for an article about this at all? I'd like to battle in the competition but I've no idea where to start.

Also if there are any plans for a giveaway then I'd be happy to help out with anything that's breedable.

Theorymon

Thought I'd ask if there were any plans for an article about this at all? I'd like to battle in the competition but I've no idea where to start.

Also if there are any plans for a giveaway then I'd be happy to help out with anything that's breedable.
At least from me, no, because I have no time to write massive articles while I'm in college all by myself lol

However, I'm sure we can get a viability rankings up with some short descriptions to help out.

As for giveaways, while no one has stepped up to the plate for it yet, we do have people breeding and RNGing stuff already, so I'm sure something will show up!

So important PSA: transfers are allowed, the english site just made a mistake, snd corrected it!

Not sure what this does beyond make Darkrai reasonable to get and let you use celebrate stuff (I’m a bit skeptical of Celebrate Umbreon since it can’t outspeed Marshadow btw), but can anyone else think of any important transfers?
yeah technically you can't use it vs marsh teams, so, again, technically you can't use it at all. But still worth mentioning since if there is no marsh it can definitely be even more game changing

Are Z-Crystals allowed?
Silvally I can see since it is assembled from different looking body parts (Type Null is arguably creepier). Not sure about the other two though. I feel obligated to give this competition a go since Shiny Mimikyu is worth it.

Does this mean that Chandelure is the main viable Trick Room setter? I guess Mimikyu might work but not ideal. I've been eyeing Cofagrigus as a possible due to its physical bulk; it can tank a Z-Move + Shadow Sneak from Mimikyu and also take combo of Spectral Thief + Shadow Sneak from Focus Sash Marshadow 99% of the time (if I did my math right). And that's if you don't run a healing item. Hex + Will-o-Wisp could be potent as well. Fourth move of Destiny Bond and you're set! Just watch out for Dark types, especially Darkrai.

Froslass could be a usable Spikes setter? I'm thinking Focus Sash Spikes/Destiny Bond/Ice Shard/something, maybe Icy Wind in the last slot. Ice Shard can break Mimikyu's Disguise before it goes down. Hazards are clutch for dealing with Focus Sash Marshadow.

Who else works for hazards? Mawile, Omastar, Gliscor? Gliscor gets mauled by lead Marshadow if running HP Ice (which will likely be uncommon tbh; what else does it hit?).

Don't have time to play test or build a full team tonight; maybe over the weekend.

'' Who else works for hazards ? "

For me, Gigalith is pretty good in that role, thanks Sturdy. He also has access to very interesting attacks same as Rock Tomb, Gravity, Explosion ... !

However it remains difficult for him to deal with Marshadow, but with their ability you are sure to place SR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)