Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Is Baneful Bunker a useful move to put on Toxapex in place of something like Toxic Spikes?
Yes, it can be used over Toxic Spikes, Toxic, Scald, or Knock Off. Haze and Recover are seen as staples. Toxic and Scald see the next most usage, but Baneful Bunker is great for opposing Mega Medicham and also punishing things like Tornadus-Therian or choice locked Pokemon. It is a very viable option, but it is oftentimes just not the most practical pick compared to the alternatives.

Yes, it can be used over Toxic Spikes, Toxic, Scald, or Knock Off. Haze and Recover are seen as staples. Toxic and Scald see the next most usage, but Baneful Bunker is great for opposing Mega Medicham and also punishing things like Tornadus-Therian or choice locked Pokemon. It is a very viable option, but it is oftentimes just not the most practical pick compared to the alternatives.
Alright, thanks for the quick answer!

Why is zygarde getting suspected when council multiple times has stated its not even good enough to be s rank? I know gary told us not to ask but i really dont understand why, is it a tour thing?

Did something change with zygarde within last year? I thought its sets were limited to dd, band, sub toxic and the rarer steelium z which have similar counterplay aside from steelium (scizor, clef, tang, bulu) so what happened for it to get suspected now?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Why is zygarde getting suspected when council multiple times has stated its not even good enough to be s rank? I know gary told us not to ask but i really dont understand why, is it a tour thing?
There really isn't as strong a correlation between VR ranking and potential brokenness as a lot of newer users seem to think there is. The reasoning for Zygarde's suspect is stated thoroughly in the OP of the suspect. The reasoning for Zygarde's ranking is stated thoroughly in the VR slate posts. There really shouldn't be anything else on this moving forward.

Did something change with zygarde within last year? I thought its sets were limited to dd, band, sub toxic and the rarer steelium z which have similar counterplay aside from steelium (scizor, clef, tang, bulu) so what happened for it to get suspected now?
A lot of things changed and if you don't understand that, then I question your ability to comment seriously on OU related matters. There is nothing about Zygarde that I would describe as "limited" or "having simple counterplay". I think you're genuinely misunderstanding or ignoring parts of its viability and usefulness.

Why isn't there a suspect ladder set up for the duration of the suspect test? I'm pretty sure it happened in the past, and I'm not sure why the council has chosen not to do it this time, especially because of how central Zygarde is to the OU metagame. I'm pretty sure that most people already have their opinion on whether they want Zygarde in or out of OU, but we have no idea how the metagame would look like when he's gone. I'm especially worried that some existing threats are going to become even more threatening (Heatran, Ash-Greninja on the top of my head), and that we would have to resort to even more suspect testing and banning in the future, if we choose to ban Zygarde out of OU.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why isn't there a suspect ladder set up for the duration of the suspect test? I'm pretty sure it happened in the past, and I'm not sure why the council has chosen not to do it this time, especially because of how central Zygarde is to the OU metagame. I'm pretty sure that most people already have their opinion on whether they want Zygarde in or out of OU, but we have no idea how the metagame would look like when he's gone. I'm especially worried that some existing threats are going to become even more threatening (Heatran, Ash-Greninja on the top of my head), and that we would have to resort to even more suspect testing and banning in the future, if we choose to ban Zygarde out of OU.
There are merits to both versions of suspect but most tiers choose to keep the Pokemon legal during the suspect nowadays, so we are simply following suit. The logic behind keeping it is that we don't want to cater entirely to people who have played OU for an extended period of time as we are aware of Zygarde's impact. Instead, we want to give people who haven't participated much in OU a chance to see Zygarde for themselves. This way it prevents newer players from simply laddering for reqs and voting on a Pokemon that they've technically had no real experience with. It allows more people to have an actual opinion. At the end of the day we are suspecting a Pokemon based on its effect on the current meta, and that's exactly what keeping it legal on the ladder aims to do. The negatives to this is that we are unable to see what a meta without Zyg looks like, but a positive is that more people can have an educated vote on the actual Pokemon itself, so the latter is more practical and fair.

Im looking to ladder for Reqs, but I don't have any good updated OU teams. I've had a look at the sample teams, but am still not sure if they are good in the current meta

Im looking to ladder for Reqs, but I don't have any good updated OU teams. I've had a look at the sample teams, but am still not sure if they are good in the current meta
You can always go to the RMT's for recent teams. Most will indicate what level they've gotten to either in the title or the post. Pick one you like and maybe playtest it a little before you go for the Reqs.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Finch and I delayed updating the thread because of the upcoming suspect so yea the teams are quite dated. Some of them are still usable however, for example me and another couple ppl got reqs with the xtra ho from the thread pretty easily

Quick noob question, why is Zygarde rather than Thousand Arrows being suspected? Is TA not the source of its set versatility (and viability)? Its exclusive ability Power Construct was banned, why not just ban an exlcusive move too? Thx.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Quick noob question, why is Zygarde rather than Thousand Arrows being suspected? Is TA not the source of its set versatility (and viability)? Thx.
iirc that's a complex ban, and Smogon tries to avoid this as much as possible.

edit: To expand, complex bans would also effect the tiers below OU, i.e. Zygarde-10% won't be able to use Thousand Arrows, even though it's RU.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Is it complex though? It's not "no A+B" it's just "no A" unless I'm not understanding correctly.
Just edited my above post. If I'm classifying incorrectly I apologize, but generally speaking banning moves will cause tiers below to ban the move as well, and keeping a move legal in a tier below a tier where it's not legal would be complex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)