Data Usage-Based Tier Update for January 2019 (Feb @ #99) (Mar @ #111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy-to-read summary, by tier:

OU:
Gains: Mega Diancie

Lost: Gastrodon, Hoopa-Unbound

UU:
Gains: Gligar, Mega Steelix, Doublade, Chesnaught

Lost: Stakataka, Mega Slowbro, Darmanitan, Metagross

RU:
Gains: Stakataka, Darmanitan, Metagross, Uxie

Lost: Gligar, Mega Steelix, Doublade, Chesnaught, Mega Glalie

NU:
Gains: Weezing, Magmortar, Mega Glalie, Togedemaru

Lost: Minior, Uxie

PU:
Gains: Minior, Gastrodon, Alolan Dugtrio, Roselia

Lost: Weezing, Togedemaru, Silvally-Ghost, Type: Null

ZU:
Gains: Silvally-Ghost

Lost: Alolan Dugtrio, Roselia

Doubles OU:
Gains: Mega Mawile, Gyarados, Mega Gardevoir, Garchomp, Mega Manectric, Gastrodon, Mega Gyarados, Mega Garchomp

Lost: Zeraora, Arcanine

Doubles UU:
Gains: Zeraora, Arcanine

Lost: Mega Mawile, Gyarados, Mega Gardevoir, Garchomp, Mega Manectric, Gastrodon, Mega Gyarados, Mega Garchomp

Last edited:

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Minior moved from NU to PU
Stakataka moved from UU to RU
Gligar moved from RU to UU
Diancie-Mega moved from PU to OU
Gastrodon moved from OU to UU
Steelix-Mega moved from RU to UU
Slowbro-Mega moved from UU to RU
Darmanitan moved from UU to RU
Weezing moved from PU to NU
Magmortar moved from PU to NU
Doublade moved from RU to UU
Chesnaught moved from RU to UU
Glalie-Mega moved from RU to NU
Togedemaru moved from PU to NU
Hoopa-Unbound moved from OU to UU
Metagross moved from UU to RU
Uxie moved from NU to RU
Thoughts: Mini:Likely QB
stak:Seems a good mon,OTR can get bit busted tho
Gligar:That was confirmed long time ago along with ches
Gastro coming back to PU aye
Rip lix :(,Mega slot will be less disputed for toise prob
Slow's usage always drops and roses, will go back to UU next shift
:cbdarm:
Uh kinda weird to see weez rising like that
Mag was real underrated,It deserved to rise
Doub is great in UU but will be missed in RU :/
Read Gligar
Glalie was in a bad moment but uh its still better that some shit like mega banette,gonna make AV slow's usage rise prob and may be busted sometime bc poops on every removal and is annoying to switch
Ay my underrated togeboi finally gone up
metagross will likely get better with some possible checks rising
Uh no offenses but is this aim thing? Bc uxie is awful af

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On the plus side, RU got freaking Metagross.

Losing Gligar, Doublade, and Mega Steelix really sucks, but man is Metagross gonna be such a cool addition to the RU meta. Especially with the latter two gone, Metagross is finding itself in a RU meta that it will fit right into, and it's gonna be a fantastic new bulky Steel-type with its sublime combination of bulk, power, and decent movepool that allow it to pull off some decent niches and its gorgeous typing. It can be a good SR setter that can softcheck Noivern, Shaymin, and Gardevoir amongst other threats and has a lot more offensive bite than Bronzong or Registeel and Bullet Punch to threaten Gardevoir even more than the other two (priority!). The CB set will be strong af with its high Attack and Meteor Mash/Zen Heabutt, 2HKOing Mandibuzz and Milotic with one of its STABs after Rocks, and being an overall super solid wallbreaker with a gorgeous typing to boot. Perhaps other sets like the old AgiliGross could be pulled off on a few niche teams, and Meta will definitely find itself some solid uses as a strong bulky Steel capable of fulfilling a variety of purposes on a team, and packing a lot more offensive punch than Registeel or Bronzong making it a cool fit for offense and giving it a way to stand out from fellow bulky Steel competition in those two. I am so looking forward to building new teams with Metagross, and it's gonna be such a fun and awesome new addition to RU. I've been looking forward to its drop for some time now and I'm glad I'll finally be able to use the thing in RU.

I’m really looking forward to using Metagross in RU. I love that mon and much like Raikou I think it will find a much more forgiving home in RU than in UU. After new drop Darmanitan (which I honestly don’t see staying given how busted Entei was) it has the highest Attack stat in the tier, it has great bulk and a solid move pool. I can even see its old Agiligross set being a solid cleaner, though I suspect an offensive Stealth Rock set will be its most used.

Just reminding that UU sucks
Losing Rotom-W, Gliscor, Serperior, Azumarill and Breloom meant it lost just about all of its best Terrakion checks, so of course they'd look for others. Chesnaught, Gligar and Doublade all fulfill that role. Mega Steelix has a niche over Mega Aggron on stall, as it blocks Volt Switch and has better typing before mega evolving.

Stakataka honestly should've dropped long ago, Metagross faces stiff competition from Scizor and Cobalion as an offensive Steel type and is thus hard to justify, and all Darmanitan really has over Infernape is more raw power. The monkey is faster, has better typing, a better movepool, isn't weak to Stealth Rock and is much more versatile.

Mind you this is the same ladder that caused Ambipom to rise, so you're not entirely wrong.

Notable drops:

Mega Glalie in NU: Yeah, I don't see this thing staying for long. It hits like a truck even with the -ate nerf and it can chip its counters with Super Fang. In fact the last slot is very customizable. Spikes setter, Freeze-Dry to hit non-AV Bro, you can do it all.

Gastrodon in tiers other than OU: In PU at least, it's nice to have a mon that functions like Jellicent without the Pursuit weakness. I don't suspect a top tier mon or anything, but it could still be pretty decent.

Stakataka in RU: With MegaLix and Chesnaught gone, this thing's TR set will be rampant. I guess you could pull a Rocks lead set but Metagross does that a lot better. Speaking of which.....

Metagross in RU: I waited all this time for this to happen. I'm so happy that it did. Metagross can run a variety of sets, has solid stats all around, but has enough checks to prevent it from being broken. A Steel-type to use after the leaving of Doublade and Mega Steelix is always cool.

Darmanitan in RU: This thing's damage output is fucking insane. Its speed could be an issue though, but otherwise like Mega Glalie I suspect this shift won't last for long.

Minior in PU: Could be a problem but I dunno right now.

Mega Steelix has a niche over Mega Aggron on stall, as it blocks Volt Switch and has better typing before mega evolving.
Mega Steelix role is more relevant in BO and replaced Aggron in those steel-type mega + bulky water (like bro for example) + fairy kind of balances more than anything: stall uses Aggron or Defog Altaria, but very rarely so runs lix, so I really don't know where you get that notion.

Mega Lix's most relevant niche is in checking almost every Latias variant bar Specs with Surf, which is very rarely if even ever seen, while also taking special hits better. MAggron gets hit by +1 Electrium-Z boosted Thunder and takes like 70% so it's not really a good check, expecially when Latias sets up on florges/sylveon if it has already cm up.

EDIT:
Mega Glalie in NU: Yeah, I don't see this thing staying for long. It hits like a truck even with the -ate nerf and it can chip its counters with Super Fang. In fact the last slot is very customizable. Spikes setter, Freeze-Dry to hit non-AV Bro, you can do it all.
I'm no NU genius or anything and my experience is very limited, but I've tried it a couple of games and Freeze Dry does jack to AV Bro, which is on almost every team, while Vaporeon takes a good chunk but nothing extraordinary: 4 SpA Glalie-Mega Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Vaporeon: 186-218 (40.1 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery. Running Freeze Dry also means that you forgo Ice Shard which its annoying considering that faster threats like Passimian, Spes Scept, Whimsi and Heliolisk always come in after you kill something. Its typing is also annoying because of the rocks weakness, even though Xatu is everywhere.
I think that Aboma might still be more popular than Glalie since it can threaten Water-types better and keep itself healthy with Giga drain + usable bulk and the not uncommon wish support that vaporeon often gives in aboma builds, but a spiker able to beat Xatu/Lix/non-AV Bro is a very big niche.

Last edited:

Dollainthewoods

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner’s for Beginners
Mega Steelix role is more relevant in BO and replaced Aggron in those steel-type mega + bulky water (like bro for example) + fairy kind of balances more than anything: stall uses Aggron or Defog Altaria, but very rarely so runs lix, so I really don't know where you get that notion.

Mega Lix's most relevant niche is in checking almost every Latias variant bar Specs with Surf, which is very rarely if even ever seen, while also taking special hits better. MAggron gets hit by +1 Electrium-Z boosted Thunder and takes like 70% so it's not really a good check, expecially when Latias sets up on florges/sylveon if it has already cm up.

EDIT:

I'm no NU genius or anything and my experience is very limited, but I've tried it a couple of games and Freeze Dry does jack to AV Bro, which is on almost every team, while Vaporeon takes a good chunk but nothing extraordinary: 4 SpA Glalie-Mega Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Vaporeon: 186-218 (40.1 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery. Running Freeze Dry also means that you forgo Ice Shard which its annoying considering that faster threats like Passimian, Spes Scept, Whimsi and Heliolisk always come in after you kill something. Its typing is also annoying because of the rocks weakness, even though Xatu is everywhere.
I think that Aboma might still be more popular than Glalie since it can threaten Water-types better and keep itself healthy with Giga drain + usable bulk and the not uncommon wish support that vaporeon often gives in aboma builds, but a spiker able to beat Xatu/Lix/non-AV Bro is a very big niche.
Nice prediction, but no definitely not, Aboma has a ton of problems that Glalie doesn’t. First, it’s typing is abysmal have 7 weaknesses leaving it open too things faster than it, which trust me there are a lot. Second, Glalie is much more of a truck and a threat, the thing Aboma can hit with grass moves are beat by freeze dry, just because Vaporeon can stall it out doesn’t mean it’s still vulnerable to super fang, which takes care of incin pretty easily. Glalie doesn’t have many counters, and things like Steelix which should counter it are whittled down by fang and don’t have solid recovery. I think it’s going to be suspect tested and hopefully banned, but that’s just me.

obamasnow (mega) should be in ru because of it's fantastic stats and great move pool it does have a bad typing though so what do you guys think?

Dollainthewoods

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner’s for Beginners
obamasnow (mega) should be in ru because of it's fantastic stats and great move pool it does have a bad typing though so what do you guys think?
It’s abysmal speed and typing make it vulnerable to salazzle and other ru mons, like darman, metagross, virizion, cress, and Florges, it cant break through bulky ru mons at all as well, so I think it’s where it belongs.

Abomasnow is quite the threat to be reckoned with in RU, as its potent STAB moves and solid coverage make it very difficult to switch into. Its solid bulk and key resistances to Water and Ground allow it multiple chances to fire off attacks or set up Swords Dance. Access to the coveted STAB Ice Shard allows Abomasnow to revenge a whole host of offensive threats, such as Zygarde-10%, Flygon, Roserade, and Decidueye.

Abomasnow is quite the threat to be reckoned with in RU, as its potent STAB moves and solid coverage make it very difficult to switch into. Its solid bulk and key resistances to Water and Ground allow it multiple chances to fire off attacks or set up Swords Dance. Access to the coveted STAB Ice Shard allows Abomasnow to revenge a whole host of offensive threats, such as Zygarde-10%, Flygon, Roserade, and Decidueye.
I got that from the smogon dex

I'm glad diancie is now getting the usage it deserves though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)