Announcement Teambuilder Backup Changes

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
We have made a change to the Backup/Restore All Teams button in the teambuilder. If you have 350 or more teams, your teams will be displayed in "packed string" format. Packed string format is a much smaller and less readable version of a team. For example:
Code:
Ludicolo||lifeorb||hydropump,gigadrain,icebeam,focusblast|Modest|,,,252,4,252|M|,0,,,,|||]Pelipper||damprock|1|scald,uturn,roost,hurricane|Bold|248,,36,,224,||,0,,,,|||
We made this change so that loading the Backup/Restore All Teams screen would be less laggy when you have a large number of teams.

Unfortunately it has been brought to my attention that an unintended side effect of this change is that if you try to add teams of the original format to your packed team strings in Backup/Restore all teams, you will lose all your teams instead of adding the new ones. So, until we fix this, please do not mix different types of stored teams in Backup/Restore all team, instead add each new team by clicking "New Team" and then clicking "Import/Export" (which is next to the bar to set the team's name). In addition, if you have not already, or have not recently, backup all your teams. So if you accidentally lose your teams to your computer dying, your browser wiping your cookies, a bug on PS wiping them, or something else, you can recover them.

Were sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, a reply will be posted here once the issue is fixed. If you have any questions, feel free to ask below.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
agreed with gary, this feature is really inconvenient. i don't mind waiting for the backup teams box to open. i'm currently on untitled 2252 and it took under a minute for it to load with the old format (i don't remember more specific than that, i'm pretty sure it was under 30 seconds with a bunch of tabs open but i'm gonna stick with a really conservative estimate). you don't open it up unless you really need to but it's not like it crashes the tab or anything, if you've been around long enough to have 350 teams you know what you're dealing with when it comes to the backup tool. and instead of taking a minute (conservative estimate) to load but then being exactly like the teambuilder i'm used to using, it's a totally foreign structure that i have no experience looking at.

there should at least be a warning that the builder gets wiped in the short term until it gets fixed because many people aren't gonna see this thread

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Is there a way to disable this? I used to sort through my teams by opening the backup / restore tab because it showed everything at once.
It still shows everything at once. And Ctrl+F will still find things by moves and items as normal.

agreed with gary, this feature is really inconvenient. i don't mind waiting for the backup teams box to open. i'm currently on untitled 2252 and it took under a minute for it to load with the old format (i don't remember more specific than that, i'm pretty sure it was under 30 seconds with a bunch of tabs open but i'm gonna stick with a really conservative estimate). you don't open it up unless you really need to but it's not like it crashes the tab or anything, if you've been around long enough to have 350 teams you know what you're dealing with when it comes to the backup tool. and instead of taking a minute (conservative estimate) to load but then being exactly like the teambuilder i'm used to using, it's a totally foreign structure that i have no experience looking at.

there should at least be a warning that the builder gets wiped in the short term until it gets fixed because many people aren't gonna see this thread
Can you clarify what's wrong?

I didn't change it just because it was slow; I changed it because it outright crashed some browsers and caused people to lose their teams. A lot of browsers apparently can't handle huge numbers of teams without compression.

The structure might take some getting used to, but everything's still there, and it's not that unreadable imo.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
It still shows everything at once. And Ctrl+F will still find things by moves and items as normal.

Can you clarify what's wrong?

I didn't change it just because it was slow; I changed it because it outright crashed some browsers and caused people to lose their teams. A lot of browsers apparently can't handle huge numbers of teams without compression.

The structure might take some getting used to, but everything's still there, and it's not that unreadable imo.
it's pretty unreadable

i still don't like the change, and it'd be nice if there was a way to easily disable it. i guess my main concern is that if ps stops being the default sim my team backup is in a format that is really hard to do anything with, since the other sim might not immediately add support for loading ps backups. the fact that individual tiers with over 350 teams still load with the standard format and not the super compressed format is nice, though it's still a burden when i have teams for 50 different tiers. maybe i'll just dedicate 15 mins to backing up my teams next time i do it so that i can get them in the right format.

edit: the red spell check squiggles make it look way worse, i'll get a better screenshot

Last edited:

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
it's pretty unreadable

i still don't like the change, and it'd be nice if there was a way to easily disable it. i guess my main concern is that if ps stops being the default sim my team backup is in a format that is really hard to do anything with, since the other sim might not immediately add support for loading ps backups. the fact that individual tiers with over 350 teams still load with the standard format and not the super compressed format is nice, though it's still a burden when i have teams for 50 different tiers. maybe i'll just dedicate 15 mins to backing up my teams next time i do it so that i can get them in the right format.

edit: the red spell check squiggles make it look way worse, i'll get a better screenshot
If you use the PS desktop client, your teams will be stored in actual folders and files. Try that.

It also makes it easier to just move folders in and out of PS's teams folders, to make the teambuilder run faster.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)