CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Art Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, this is gonna make me look like a huge copycat of CasMat's awesome snowflake moth, but I promise I thought of this at work and came home and drew it, only to see something a little similar now as I post it :\ I guess maybe snowflake wings are a little intuitive with this kind of thing?

Anyway, there's mine. :)

I think the snowflake moth/snow type wingedy thing idea is kinda popular. 3 people already have one.

And when it comes time to sprite that (if we do indeed choose it), doing the flake wings will be pretty tough, I'd assume.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Alright, this is gonna make me look like a huge copycat of CasMat's awesome snowflake moth, but I promise I thought of this at work and came home and drew it, only to see something a little similar now as I post it :\ I guess maybe snowflake wings are a little intuitive with this kind of thing?

The scarf/wing combo is great! Very creative! Nice colors too.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, I'm not a frequent poster, but I'd like to submit my idea, though I'm not satisfied with it...

And here's a closer pic of the lower one:

EDIT: Oops, forgot a description. Well, the original idea was to give it a moth-like body when its legs are folded up, which is usually when it begins speeding towards the enemy. Once it lands, it unfolds its legs, which makes it resemble a mantis-like body. The icy fore-claws are not a single claw, but a small set of claws clutching a large chunk of ice from the gap in the claw. When it fires the ice off or crushes it, the insect can then fire off Ice Beams and Blizzards from the gap at will. If it doesn't launch any ice, the gap will eventually be closed by ice, which will quickly recreate the icy claw. There are also 2 pairs of wings; one on its body and one on its abdomen. They resemble ice crystals, but are light enough and sturdy enough to handle high-speed combat.

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I got the feeling of a bug from it even with the sleds. I think the only couple of things that needs to be done are: 1)Rework the legs design/structure, 2)Figure out the best route for it's face or see if we can give it a actual bug head and horned carapace thing like true Dynastinae.
Here's the rework. Trashed the skis. Put a bug head and a true carapace on it, instead of the face/carapace thing I had before. Incorporated a few different elements of other beetles to give it more overall "beetle-ness". To pick up the special attacking side, I converted the forelegs into blaster thingies. I figure if it's good enough for Blastoise, it's good enough for this guy.

I'm not going any further with this one. I guess this is OK, but I like some of the other stuff I'm working on better than this. Maybe this will give others some ideas and they can make a horned ice beetle that really kicks ass.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Eh, I decided going a different route with my little bugger. (lol)
In terms of style, I decided not to overly deviate from Sugimori's and tried to make it look like an actual pokemon. In terms of design, I actually borrowed elements from several bugs and combined them together. Also, I couldn't find my mechanical pencil, so I was forced to use a Gel pen, but that won't matter once I go to make it digitally pretty.

I haven't given it a proper name yet, aside from Icebug. I've a couple other different Ideas to bounce around too, so I'll post them once they get complete.

Uh, some things I wanted to point out on this guy is that obviously his body is streamlined for agility and speed. While his wings don't enable him to fly really high, he is perfectly adept for low altitude flight and the rapid movement at which his 6 wings move emit high frequency waves that can disorient would-be attackers.

His powerful front claws are so cold they often freeze prey on contact, making hunting easy.

His antennae and large eyes give him almost unparalleled heightened senses and allow him to navigate with ease in even the worst blizzard.

Also, he can fire special attacks from his tail, which can also be used as a weapon.

I've got a few other ideas for what this pokemon could look like as well. Will post when drawn/scanned.

Here's the rework. Trashed the skis. Put a bug head and a true carapace on it, instead of the face/carapace thing I had before. Incorporated a few different elements of other beetles to give it more overall "beetle-ness". To pick up the special attacking side, I converted the forelegs into blaster thingies. I figure if it's good enough for Blastoise, it's good enough for this guy.
I say it's actually good there. The blaster front limb is a interesting idea on itself and I can truly get the feel of beetle more than ever. Personally I would use this design as a start for my own but I can't draw insect creature all that well.

Soy-Monk~ 100x better now and why can that thing be slow, it looks like something that can actually move quite fast despite it's appearance.

THat's so cool!

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i made a few cryomites (ice termites)

this was my first design. like all my cryomites, they feed on ice. once digested ice begins to form outside of their body (on this guy its his "shell"). all cryomites have very low (near blind) vision so they use their antennae. they can also shoot ice from their nose.

this is my second attempt at a more mobile cryomite. it turned out to be a female with a snowflakey gown. she likes to dance/ice skate.

this is my third one. he was supposed to be a redrawn version of the first but came out like a snowman. he a bit more of a glutton, and now forms ice all over his body. he also found some goggles, although it didn't improve his vision.

Well, I'm not a frequent poster, but I'd like to submit my idea, though I'm not satisfied with it...

And here's a closer pic of the lower one:

EDIT: Oops, forgot a description. Well, the original idea was to give it a moth-like body when its legs are folded up, which is usually when it begins speeding towards the enemy. Once it lands, it unfolds its legs, which makes it resemble a mantis-like body. The icy fore-claws are not a single claw, but a small set of claws clutching a large chunk of ice from the gap in the claw. When it fires the ice off or crushes it, the insect can then fire off Ice Beams and Blizzards from the gap at will. If it doesn't launch any ice, the gap will eventually be closed by ice, which will quickly recreate the icy claw. There are also 2 pairs of wings; one on its body and one on its abdomen. They resemble ice crystals, but are light enough and sturdy enough to handle high-speed combat.
Haha. This one gets my vote. All it needs now is justification for either Attack Order or Megahorn. This one looks like one that could do anything ability-wise, even Magic Guard if we gave it the right colors. Of course, I'd love to see this one have Snow Warning or maybe Shiver with constantly moving wings.

Did a quick one. Maybe i can fix it up later. I don't like the angle of the legs.
I was sorta going for a simple look.

^ Hopefully that shows up. The first thing I thought of when I heard Ice/Bug was a moth, and there is an actual moth called a snow moth, so this is my spin on it. Its done on paint, so i isn't spectacular. If I see support, I'll try it out by hand.

Otherwise, my favorite is Some Chick's. Most (not quite all) of the other designs are really cool, but look more like Final Fantasy bosses that Pokemon to me. Some Chick's has that kind of simple

Edit: Wondeful. Its not showing. That's what I get for using paint. I'll try again later.

just use an image host. when i copy paste the link it's like
/my%20documents/my%20pictures/my%20pictures/pictures%20of%20stuff/pokemon/mothy.bmp , im not really sure how you managed to do that lol

go to imagenerd.com and just upload it.

I know some people here like to do things with Paint, but honestly, use a more user friendly file type. Bitmap annoys the shit out of me due to its large file size and for some people, it takes a while to load.

Most (not quite all) of the other designs are really cool, but look more like Final Fantasy bosses that Pokemon to me.
I hope you weren't referring to mine. I abhor Final Fantasy. Haha, really, I do.

Yeah, trying to stick with super cartoony, simplistic stuff is hard. Hope the bug I did wasn't too complex lol

DougJustDoug

I know where Emu is coming from with his "Final Fantasy" comment. And, yes, I think a lot of the current designs being posted don't look like pokemon straight out of a Ken Sugimori drawing. My last "ice scorpion" sketch doesn't really fit the Sugimori mold.

But, keep in mind that we're just testing out concepts here. Ultimately, the design will be converted into some sprites, which will have a helluva lot less detail than the current sketches. If the design is so overly-complex that it has no prayer of being distilled down to a decent sprite, then that should be taken into consideration. IMO, I haven't seen many designs posted that appear to be completely unworkable as a sprite. Obviously, some are more complex than others, and the simpler designs will certainly be easier to sprite. But, for evaluating the design concept, sketch complexity shouldn't be a major concern.

As for the "cartoony" design aesthetic of most pokemon -- I love it. Sugimori is a genius. I really like pokemon designs that look "like pokemon". However, I suspect I will be in the minority on that one. Some of the intricate designs being posted are just too slick to not garner attention. Whether or not they look "like pokemon", will likely be a judgment relegated to only a few purists. I could be wrong. We'll see.

Sugimori has been getting a bit more complex with some of his designs. I do love such Pokemon as Kangaskhan and Gliscor. I always will love his work though. Same first name FTW!

I wonder who will be doing the actual sprite. It's been a while since I fiddled around in paint.

Soy-Monk used Hypnosis!

Did a quick one. Maybe i can fix it up later. I don't like the angle of the legs.
I was sorta going for a simple look.
I'd say that the legs look a bit to metallic. Try for more crystalline like ice crystals. Overall fantastic, but the second set of fangs could run a bit more parellel to the face (so it's like an L on the chin).

Nice job:toast:

CyzirVisheen: Wow....amazing is all I can say.

Other awesomeness by practically everyone.

DougJustDoug

I had a little free time and some regular notebook paper and I expanded on the tiny thumbnail sketch I did of a "ski bug". I really liked the idea originally, then started working on the ant/spider/scorpion thing. After reading Emu's comments about pokemon that look "like pokemon", I went back to the ski bug. What I really like about it is, to me, it looks "like a pokemon". Others may disagree and that's fine. But, that's basically my impression of a Ken Sugimori pokemon. Basic line work, just a few key design elements, and lyrical as hell (for those of you into art terms). I'm no Ken Sugimori, but this is me trying to impersonate the master (description follows):

I wanted to pull back on the direct representation of a "bug", and instead focus on including a few key elements that justify a bug typing, but doesn't hammer you over the head with it. The ski theme is something I really want to work with, only because it ties great with an ice typing and nothing like it has been done before in Pokemon.

Inspirationally, I tried to avoid heavy reliance on traditional winter/cold cliches. Heavy coats, ice, snow, etc. Instead, I was thinking "downhill racer". Downhillers are sleek and fast, with their skinsuits and all that. But they are still winter as all get out, without all the bulk.

The goggles over the eyes are Flygon derivative, but they fit the ski theme, and just look totally cool IMO. The skis are meant to be tied in as an organic part of the pokemon. I added some wings on the back to give it another bug element, and made them look like sheets of ice for obvious reasons. It also balances out aesthetically with the goggles. The arms are mantis-like. The body is roughly proportioned like a mantis or a grasshopper. The antennae are swept back to connote speed.

I still think it needs another pattern or something to really finish it out. I'd like to add some simple design to the arms, chest, neck, torso, or something. I'm imagining a variation on spots or stripes, but I can't come up with anything simple and elegant that works with the rest of the design. Hmmm... it still needs...something.

Once I decide on the final stuff, I'll do this on bristol board and color it. Overall, I'm liking this one and I think I'll keep working on it.

EDIT: Motion study here: http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4367/skibugstudy1qc0.jpg

hmm now im inspired to dust off ye old art supplies and get designing...

Also, I love whats been posted so far :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)