Pokémon GO

Ah, back to the old Jan/Feb research task list. And now that I've finished the Meltan research, the three Poke Stops on my way to work give Catch 10 Ice Types (Kabuto) and Catch 7 Flying/Psychic/Dark Types (Anorith) that would've gone towards Meltan. Gotta love Niantic and their trolling.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Finally a raid where Dragons can shine, to remind us of the good ol' days!

Since the damage rebalance, counters with Super Effective moves are just much better than generalists. My Dragonite and Rayquaza have been asleep since then.

It's just too bad there's no pure Fairy attacker; it would've been a good option here. Such a missed opportunity for Togekiss.
How does Togekiss’ Flying type hinder it?

I would argue that with the advent of 2 Charged moves, Palkia has a niche as a Dragon with Water coverage, plus unlike Kyogre, it can 4X resist Fire, and handle coverage moves (Grass and Electric), on Groudon and Kyogre, while hitting for Dragon Damage.
While Grass types can cover Groudon and Kyogre, they fear Fire Blast and Blizzard for 2 coverage moves in PVP.

Also, Palkia will have higher TDO than either when facing Water or Fire Move users (not just Pokemon).

One must always consider the 2 Charge Move niche that all Pokémon can have, and the Dragon + Water niche Palkia provides, it’s not just 1 or the other with Charged moves.

Last edited:
How does Togekiss’ Flying type hinder it?
Again, an attacker's type is determined only by the type of its moves, not by the typing of the actual Pokemon. A bit like how Mewtwo with Ice Beam is one of the best Ice attacker, even without being Ice-type. Or Latios with Solar Beam.

Since there's no Fairy fast move currently in the game, there's no pure Fairy attacker in GO. They all use fast moves of a another type.

And a lot of people expected Togekiss to be released with Fairy Wind, the only Fairy attacking move - outside of two signature moves - to not be in GO as of yet. What I was saying was that it's unfortunate for Togekiss that it didn't get it, to square off against a Legendary with only two weaknesses: Fairy, and Dragon, most of whom Palkia utterly ANNIHILATE with a single Draco Meteor.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Again, an attacker's type is determined only by the type of its moves, not by the typing of the actual Pokemon. A bit like how Mewtwo with Ice Beam is one of the best Ice attacker, even without being Ice-type. Or Latios with Solar Beam.

Since there's no Fairy fast move currently in the game, there's no pure Fairy attacker in GO. They all use fast moves of a another type.

And a lot of people expected Togekiss to be released with Fairy Wind, the only Fairy attacking move - outside of two signature moves - to not be in GO as of yet. What I was saying was that it's unfortunate for Togekiss that it didn't get it, to square off against a Legendary with only two weaknesses: Fairy, and Dragon, most of whom Palkia utterly ANNIHILATE with a single Draco Meteor.
It was based on the wording, it seems like that’s based on the words “pure fairy attacker”, emphasis that attacker means the Pokémon itself, rather than “pure fairy moveset.”

Technically it could still get Hidden Power Dragon, which is Super Effective, even if it doesn’t get STAB.
1EFBA9DA-57FF-47E9-B802-1C6970FA6265.png
☺ Lucky me! Lucky Pokémon too!
Hidden Power doesn’t change upon evolution, but it can change upon trade. ;)

Also, I understand how Pokemon are typically ranked by their moves, which is why I mentioned the importance of 2 charge moves in my post, and how in battle Grass types fear Blizzard and Fire Blast off of Kyogre and Groudon because of coverage, not just their STAB attacks...

I did create the viability ranking for Pokemon Go in my signature afterall...

Last edited:
Coming soon: Lickilicky, Gallade, Froslass, Ambipom, Tangrowth, Yanmega?

EDIT: wait, they're already available. Mamoswine still N/A.

Is Yanmega actually good? I finally got another Sinnoh Stone today from research breakthrough (4 now). So far I've only used two to get Rhyperior and Roserade. I've been told to wait for Togekiss to get a fairy charged move, and personally I'm a fan of the ghosts, though they're subpar.

Gen 4 fossil Pokemon, Combee, and Glameow have also started to appear in the wild.

EDIT:
Many of these Pokémon are particularly powerful, and they're just in time for the latest update, which also introduces some big changes to battles. You'll find Pokémon you fight against in Raid Battles are more powerful and sturdier than ever before. Some Pokémon moves will become weaker or stronger, and certain Pokémon will be able to learn new moves by using a Fast TM or Charged TM. This will surely help those Pokémon perform better against particular opponents in battle.
Damn it, stronger raid Pokemon, battle move power changes, and new moves. Hopefully Togekiss gets a fairy charged move?

Does Roserade getting Grass Knot put it back above Grass Knot Breloom? Also mfw Togekiss gets Flamethrower instead of a fairy move. Looking forward to some advice on what new mons are viable now.

Also it's even more annoying now that Sinnoh Stones are still so rare.

So much new stuff!

Grass Knot Roserade is even projected to be better than the expected Frenzy Plant Sceptile!

Honchkrow now gets Sky Attack, giving it the highest Flying DPS, above Air Slash/Aerial Ace Rayquaza.

Also interesting to note that, with this update, the only Sinnoh evolutions of Pokemon from previous generations left to be released (outside of Mamoswine, which will be the feature of the next CD) are Probopass, Leafeon/Glaceon, and Magnezone. Magnemite CD for April?

Last edited:
Well, so much for the occasional Tier 3 solo wins I could get.

Thanks Niantic, I'll keep enjoying Pokemon go FROM A SMALL TOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT.

I swear just when I'm getting back into this game...

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
So much new stuff!

Grass Knot Roserade is even projected to be better than the expected Frenzy Plant Sceptile!

Honchkrow now gets Sky Attack, giving it the highest Flying DPS, above Air Slash/Aerial Ace Rayquaza.

Also interesting to note that, with this update, the only Sinnoh evolutions of Pokemon from previous generations left to be released (outside of Mamoswine, which will be the feature of the next CD) are Probopass, Leafeon/Glaceon, and Magnezone. Magnemite CD for April?
Yea Roserade outclasses Sceptile bc Bullet Seed is doo doo and Frenzy Plant's OP-ness doesn't save it, so that's our Grass overlord for now. Breloom didn't even have a week in the limelight lol.

The thing with Honchkrow is that it's not... exactly the best. Against Bug and Grass, Moltres edges it out because Fire Spin is better than Peck. against Fighting-types, you need to be wary of the fact that Honchkrow doesn't resist their moves unlike Moltres or Rayquaza, but it should still be the best there. Against dual-types, if Moltres's Fire Spin doesn't hit them SE then it wins. All that said it's a very welcomed change.

The location evos are the last ones left (and Mamo), so they might bundle them with a theme or something. We'll see. I doubt Magnemite will receive a CD because we already have its shiny variant. It also has the best Electric-type moveset in Go period so it's well-off too (granted, so does Mamoswine!).

Among those changes... I'm still miffed that they forget the vees... no, I think as of now Vaporeon is the only special case of having no other fast move when it can at least learn Waterfall from the main series' movepool (I might miss some legendaries, but...).
Oh, and they do bother giving coverage moves to Legendary Beasts. (At least Suikun has some use now.)
And they also bother giving Snorlax Outrage. (well, I can now run anti-Giratina, but still....)

At least they acknowledged that Giratina running rampant in the middle league requires something to stop it. Not that Ursaring is enough since it has more offensive stats, although it does have immunity 2x resistance.
Maybe Ampharos with Power Gem will be useful. Maybe. I'm not sure it can do much to repel attackers and PvP opponents.
I'll want to find another Clefairy now. For lower league I'm out of usable Clefable, unless I want to just TM the legacy Pound (which is trash move, but still legacy). MMash looks so promising.

Many of those lucky ones to get new moves... these moves are mostly for PvP, yet those who got them can't really benefit so much with their stats. Instead, we got things they are very good at outside PvP. I'll want to get that Roserade with my decent brigade to overcome the difficulty raise in T3 raids (my phones starts to be unable to keep up on Vaporeon last time it was in raid).

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
That change only served to help Giratina since its Shadow Claws allow it to throw out more Dragon Claws. Giratina is one of the king pins of PvP at the higher leagues so lol good going Niantic.

Bonsly is out but not Happiny or Mime Jr. with a strange lack of reports for these two. This one hatch from 7Ks and also has a dumb evolution requirement (walk 15KMs to obtain your very own Sudowoodo!). At least we're getting the final babies out of the way.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Possibly, we'd have to see the other babies (Mime Jr. since iirc Happiny doesn't evolve through a move). It's inconsistent either way because the other move-based evolutions evolve through Sinnoh Stone anyways (Mamoswine, Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Yanmega, etc.)

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
While I'm not so thrilled that tier 3,4,5 raid bosses had their HP increased by 20% making it harder to quantify for these raids, I'm thrilled that I could finally evolve a 91% level 35 yanma with perfect attack. My favorite of the new changes is Machamp getting rock slide and roserade with grass knot as Machamp can better deal with certain flying types when sweeping through gym battles.

For those that have yet to raid palkia, its been a very difficult pokemon to catch as it takes precise timing to get my great/excellent curveball throws right, and a slip-up easily causes throws getting short and have had them run even with 16-18 ball opportunities. While not as bad as when kyogre first came out last year where I was lucky to get it to even land, compound it with the much cooler temperatures if not lucky enough to be inside somewhere as frozen fingers make it harder to get momentum when making these precise throws to palkia.

I've been doing daily trades with my kyogre/groudon/palkia in hopes any of them get lucky otherwise I transfer them.

Lunar New Year event is live.
Event Date + Time
  • Feb. 4, 2019, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8) to Feb. 13, 2019, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)M
Features
  • Rattata, Ekans, Mankey, Ponyta, Electabuzz, Dratini, Mareep, Miltank, Torchic, Poochyena, Spoink, and Buneary will appear more frequently in the wild!
  • If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny Spoink!
Bonuses
  • 2× Catch XP
  • 2× XP when evolving Pokémon
  • When you trade a Pokémon, there is an increased chance it will become a Lucky Pokémon!
Am I the only one annoyed that the list isn't in the zodiac order of Rattata, Miltank, Electabuzz, Buneary, Dratini, Ekans, Ponyta, Mareep, Mankey, Torchic, Poochyena, Spoink?

Three other issues I have with the list:
1. The zodiac is actually an ox rather than a cow so Tauros would be more appropriate.
2. They used a hyena to represent a dog.
3. We couldn't just get Bagon and Seviper instead of Dratini and Ekans?

That said, hey, double EXP!

Last edited:
Three other issues I have with the list:
1. The zodiac is actually an ox rather than a cow so Tauros would be more appropriate.
2. They used a hyena to represent a dog.
3. We couldn't just get Bagon and Seviper instead of Dratini and Ekans?
Tauros and Seviper are regionals, so that wouldn't have worked, unfortunately.
And, would Snubull or Houndour work better for dog instead? (edit: Oh , Growlithe, too)
Electabuzz as tiger is disturbing.
Some suggested Shinx, but it's difficult as they're limited to Raids and eggs only. There's also Raikou, but... you know.

We're only part way into Gen 4, so options are limited.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)