Pokémon GO

breh

強いだね
I don't really understand how people have issues with throw quests without being awful at throwing lol

If you were in any area with a lot of stops (and I really don't mean a /lot/ of stops, just "enough", like the large park I was in) people lure them all up during the event and the lures make up the large part of said spawns. I tossed most buddy quests / all egg quests and stacked multiple nice / great quests so I could knock out 3 at a time. I also stored caught feebas in the stack as well until I could use one to get 3 quests going.

Distance tracking being broken does absolutely suck, though; like I said, I tossed all of the egg quests but kept some of the buddy ones and even with a 1 km buddy this was absolutely bait and did not work out for me... I think it took me like 20 minutes to get .6 km on my golem lol

It went well for me. It was only 8°C and didn't end up raining, so being outside was nice. I went to the touristy area close to where I live: there's plenty of Pokestops, a LOT OF spawns and wide walkable sidewalks by the water. There were a lot of people out playing the game, catching things, putting Lure modules.

I caught several decent IVs Feebas, including two 98% and one shiny. Plenty of candy too. My phone says I walked 7km in a bit less than 4 hours.

And, after the time was done, the Pokestop near my house was "Trade one Pokemon", which gives a Feebas.

I feel like it was a weird event for the middle of winter, but I was able to go out like a regular community day.

I don't really understand how people have issues with throw quests without being awful at throwing lol

If you were in any area with a lot of stops (and I really don't mean a /lot/ of stops, just "enough", like the large park I was in) people lure them all up during the event and the lures make up the large part of said spawns. I tossed most buddy quests / all egg quests and stacked multiple nice / great quests so I could knock out 3 at a time. I also stored caught feebas in the stack as well until I could use one to get 3 quests going.

Distance tracking being broken does absolutely suck, though; like I said, I tossed all of the egg quests but kept some of the buddy ones and even with a 1 km buddy this was absolutely bait and did not work out for me... I think it took me like 20 minutes to get .6 km on my golem lol
That depends. How many quests have you done?

My place had decent spawns and stops, but not all places are lured, especially constantly. Only smaller spaces were constantly lured. Also, I don't pick Feebas at the time at all, as I believe I can stack them for future candy event.

33 quests total here (30 at the end of event, 3 more leftover buddy candy quests undone at the end). 30 seems to be people's average.

And I also heard of complaints from parents whose children aren't good in throwing.

breh

強いだね
I don't think kids are incapable of learning how to throw properly; it is very much not rocket science. The threshold for great is very large and the threshold for nice is literally the whole circle provided you wait until it is big enough.

It depends on your area, but all it takes is a couple of players that buy boxes without using the included lures (or a couple players that do the various questlines without using the reward lures) to lure up a whole park. The more people you have, the more likely this becomes. Personally, I'm f2p and at the time of the event, I had 19 lures (I used 2). I'm sure there are people that actually spend money on this game that have even more stocked up.

This is kind of a reality, too, as if you aren't very hardcore (you're not sitting daily at a permanently lured quad stop farming stardust) you're not going to go through the lures very quickly unless you set them on every stop you see. cd lures last for the whole event so it only takes as many lures as stops to fill those.

If your local community is small this changes. Multiaccounters also help shift this equilibrium in a more favorable direction; their absence means less lures.

I don't really know how many stops I hit, but if I had to guess around 30 is also close for me. I don't think it's wrong to complain about the shiny chance but having gotten 3 in the US (where the rate was 1/18ish) I have no right to.

THE TIME HAS COME FOR MAMOSWINE!!!! February Community Day will feature Swinub. Details as follows:

Asia-Pacific region: February 17th - 12:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. JST (GMT +9)
Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and India: February 16th - 10:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. UTC (GMT +0)
The Americas and Greenland: February 16th - 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. PDT (UTC -8)

Bonuses:
3x Stardust
5x Trainer Battle rewards for the weekend
3-hour lures

Featured move TBD, but evolution to Mamoswine will indeed require a Sinnoh Stone.

THE TIME HAS COME FOR MAMOSWINE!!!! February Community Day will feature Swinub. Details as follows:

Asia-Pacific region: February 17th - 12:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. JST (GMT +9)
Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and India: February 16th - 10:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. UTC (GMT +0)
The Americas and Greenland: February 16th - 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. PDT (UTC -8)

Bonuses:
3x Stardust
5x Trainer Battle rewards for the weekend
3-hour lures

Featured move TBD, but evolution to Mamoswine will indeed require a Sinnoh Stone.

I was just typing that! Some people are angry that they're using a common spawn Pokemon for CD, but personally, I'm excited to finally use that 100% Swinub. I wonder what the exclusive move will be...

As an aside, RocketNews is predicting that shiny Psyduck will be available this weekend, as a tie-in with Safari Zone in Brazil. Their reasoning is that, in the past, a new shiny became available during Safari Zones all over the world. Roselia (Dortmund), Plusle and Minun (Chicago), Wingull (Yokosuka), and Pinsir (Taiwan). Why Psyduck? Because that's the featured Pokemon on this page.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Pretty safe prediction to make (and one that has been made since the Brazil sign-ups were announced given said featured Pokémon). Psyduck is unimportant yet has an interesting shiny relative to other Pokémon so that's nice to see.

Mamoswine finally coming out is great. I wonder what it could get to improve its already amazing Ice moveset (or just make it a better Ground-type option). This is something I'm maxing 6 out of for the Rayquaza solo challenge. Gonna be hype!

I'm predicting some type of Ice move because Mamoswine really doesn't have any better Ground-type moveset options. If it received Earthquake then it is still inferior to Bulldoze. Maybe Mud Shot? In any case it will be a top-tier Ground attacker, only losing in DPS to Groudon and Garchomp.

Ground attackers:
Groudon Mud Shot Earthquake 34.754 1289.4 54124.1 4115

Garchomp Mud Shot Earthquake 34.028 1247.6 49155.9 3962

Mamoswine Mud Slap Bulldoze 33.197 953.2 34874.8 3328

Mamoswine Mud Slap Earthquake 32.83 942.7 33357.6 3328

Rhyperior Mud Slap Earthquake 31.926 1208.1 39312.8 3733

I also tested Ice Shard and Frost Breath as options for a Quick Move. Ice Beam and Blizzard aren't listed because Avalanche is better in every way. The only exception would be adding Icicle Crash into the game and making it super good.

Ice Attackers:
Mamoswine Frost Breath Avalanche 40.886 1174 80242.1 3328

Mamoswine Powder Snow Avalanche 40.476 1162.2 77068.3 3328

Mamoswine Ice Shard Avalanche 40.453 1161.6 76894.1 . 3328

Weavile Ice Shard Avalanche 38.756 935.5 54458.8 3005

Glaceon Frost Breath Avalanche 37.944 1031.2 56331.3 3126

tl;dr Mamoswine is already top tier. Whatever move they give it is icing on the cake.

Some say it will be Ancient Power, to tie in with its method of evolution in the main games. Others hope they'll introduce Earth Power, since Ground moves are pretty mediocre at the moment, and a lot of Ground-types would benefit from a better charge move.

So what would be the best moveset for Mamoswine?

Also, is it just me or is this some ambiguous wording from Niantic?

On February 16 and 17, Trainer Battle rewards will increase from 3 to 5 on both days.
Okay this is clear, no issues here.

During your region's Community Day, you will be guaranteed 5 Sinnoh Stones.
This is where calling it a Community Day when it really is only 3 hours generates a lot of confusion. Will it be a guaranteed 5 Sinnoh Stones from 0000 to 2359 on the day of the event? Or just for the 3 hours during which the event is live?

And this actually makes it unfair for those whose Community Day is on the 16th. They still have an increased chance of getting Sinnoh Stones on February 17th, but too bad they won't be able to evolve Swinub into Mamoswine with the featured move. Then again, they might not actually have that many feasible Swinubs anyway so maybe it won't matter after all. Use those on other Sinnoh evolutions instead.

Also, will someone be willing to do trainer battles with me on both those days? I don't think I have many friends eligible for that from long distance so really I'm only asking a few of you lol.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
The Sinnoh Stone thing is not explicitly clear. We will have to see what our guinea pigs in the Europe region discover, if we don't get a more clear-cut answer in the following weeks.

As per Mamo:

Currently in the GAME_MASTER file, Mamoswine gets: Mud Slap / Powder Snow for fast moves and Bulldoze / Avalanche / Stone Edge as its charge moves.

As an Ice-type it's already above everything with Powder Snow / Avalanche, while, iirc, as a Ground-type with Mud Slap / Bulldoze it's behind Groudon and Garchomp in DPS. Mamoswine already has the tools to succeed as an Ice-type, though a few possibilities exist with this Community Day:

1) The introduction of Icicle Crash being given to Mamoswine as a better move than Avalanche... it is very hard to top Avalanche, but it would cement Mamoswine's position as the best Ice-type for possibly all generations, with the Kyurem formes being in danger of losing their own throne short of their own signature moves - the competition with being an Ice-type is significantly less than being a Ground-type.

2) Earth Power being given to Mamoswine might propel it to be the best Ground-type, as most Ground-type charge moves (except Drill Run, which it doesn't even get) are pretty horrific. The caveat to this move is that many Pokémon can directly challenge Mamoswine's throne due to this (Garchomp, Groudon, Rhyperior, Landorus, etc.). That being said, it can be both a Ground-type master and an Ice-type master.

3) An inferior option is given to Mamoswine: Whether this is flavor-based (Ancient Power) or just sub-optimal (the aforementioned Icicle Crash and Earth Power just end up being bad), the only thing it would do is give Mamoswine a legacy move and it retains its optimal moveset regardless.

4) Niantic directly changes the GAME_MASTER file (which they do incredibly rarely), and removes Avalanche as a potential move, instead giving it to Mamoswine as the event move. Not a bad outcome in the sense that it saves people Charge TMs during the Community Day, but it makes any Mamoswine obtained post-CD significantly worse (say, if they replace Avalanche with Blizzard or Ice Beam).

Overall, the outcome is that Mamoswine is already winning with its current moveset and basically only has to gain from this CD. It's very much like Beldum's CD.

Looks like I'll need to evolve multiple Swinubs, then. I have two Swinub (13/15/14 and 15/13/14) and two Piloswine (14/14/11 and 13/15/14) in my box right now, hoping to get better ones...

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
This is a Niantic support response, so take it with a grain of salt.

So if it's like this (hopefully), that's pretty good as it allows Mamoswine to be more accessible.

It sounds like nobody at Niantic knows what's going on. The bonus of what will apply the entire day? The bonus of being able to collect 5 rewards? Yeah thanks a lot, Niantic, because here we were wondering if we would only be able to get 5 rewards during those 3 hours. But here is what I think is happening:

- On both February 16th and 17th, you can get rewards for 5 trainer battles instead of the usual 3
- On the day of the event in your region, you are guaranteed to receive a Sinnoh Stone each time you do a trainer battle
- On the other day, while you can still get rewards for 5 trainer battles, the chances of a Sinnoh Stone is still random (i.e. not guaranteed)

They could do Icicle Crash as a better Ice Charge move, but I think it'd just be overkill. Avalanche is great (as good as Dynamic Punch), so there's no real need for anything better right now.

Powder Snow is also an ideal Fast Move, on par with Ice Shard. It has lower DPS but higher energy generation, and it's easier to dodge with, since its animation is shorter than Ice Shard.

Earth Power would make sense, as the availability of a better Ground charge move would help a LOT of Pokemon. People have been running simulations with Earth Power being a clone of Dynamic Punch, and with it, Mamoswine would become the best Ground attacker currently in the game (until others get it...).
5.png

And since more than 80 families can learn Earth Power in the main games, with the move tutor, it could then be spread around even more. How they'd do that could be interesting. Groudon could get it in a Special Raid Day (and be back at the top of Ground attackers), Flygon in a future Community Day, or even Garchomp when it's released.

My guess is either a better Earth Power, to make Ground attackers relevant, or Ancient Power, since Mamoswine as is would still be pretty damn awesome.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
So what would be the best moveset for Mamoswine?

Also, is it just me or is this some ambiguous wording from Niantic?

Okay this is clear, no issues here.

This is where calling it a Community Day when it really is only 3 hours generates a lot of confusion. Will it be a guaranteed 5 Sinnoh Stones from 0000 to 2359 on the day of the event? Or just for the 3 hours during which the event is live?

And this actually makes it unfair for those whose Community Day is on the 16th. They still have an increased chance of getting Sinnoh Stones on February 17th, but too bad they won't be able to evolve Swinub into Mamoswine with the featured move. Then again, they might not actually have that many feasible Swinubs anyway so maybe it won't matter after all. Use those on other Sinnoh evolutions instead.

Also, will someone be willing to do trainer battles with me on both those days? I don't think I have many friends eligible for that from long distance so really I'm only asking a few of you lol.
Kanburi we are more than halfway through to the Ultra Friends Tier, let’s try and send eachother Friend Gifts between now and then so we can move past the current Great Friends stage.

With it being over 3 weeks away, we can definitely make it in time.

P.S. I just sent one today: YourXGod is my username.
They could do Icicle Crash as a better Ice Charge move, but I think it'd just be overkill. Avalanche is great (as good as Dynamic Punch), so there's no real need for anything better right now.

Powder Snow is also an ideal Fast Move, on par with Ice Shard. It has lower DPS but higher energy generation, and it's easier to dodge with, since its animation is shorter than Ice Shard.

Earth Power would make sense, as the availability of a better Ground charge move would help a LOT of Pokemon. People have been running simulations with Earth Power being a clone of Dynamic Punch, and with it, Mamoswine would become the best Ground attacker currently in the game (until others get it...).
View attachment 156852
And since more than 80 families can learn Earth Power in the main games, with the move tutor, it could then be spread around even more. How they'd do that could be interesting. Groudon could get it in a Special Raid Day (and be back at the top of Ground attackers), Flygon in a future Community Day, or even Garchomp when it's released.

My guess is either a better Earth Power, to make Ground attackers relevant, or Ancient Power, since Mamoswine as is would still be pretty damn awesome.
Groudon already has coded Precipice Blades, so no need for Earth Power.
Groudon could get a cool new Fast Move though.
Or even Eruption for a formerly semi-signature Fire Move, especially as a STAB in Primal Groudon.
So my interpretation was correct, and you can also get the guaranteed Sinnoh Stones via Team Leader battles.

EDIT: Got my first and only Groudon and Kyogre of the event, and surprise, surprise: both are trash at 75.6% and 77.8% respectively. At least I now have a Kyogre, I guess. Wonder what raids are coming next... Oh, and I still haven't hatched a Slakoth from a 10km egg.
I wonder if this also includes the Sinnoh Stone from facing against Team Leaders as a guarantee. If just says they get a bonus, but does that mean both days or just the community day? I.e. can you rewards from a challenge to team leaders 5x?
Can you get a guaranteed one per day on at least the first one?
Only community day?
————————
Also! I called it!!
I knew Generation 4 would introduce a Clmmunity day as a new Pokémon for Mamoswine and friends!
I hope community day impacts Pokémon on their first day of release.

For example, if Togekiss was released in December as a Community Day Pokemon, and because of that no one had a bad moveset on a high IV Togekiss because we all would evolve it for the first time with that new move.

That would be awesome for the good Gen 4 Evolves, where we have the candy, and just need the access.

Imagine Togekiss, Rhyperior, Magnezone, etc. all releasing as their exclusive move release date to ensure we get the best possible one without having to guess: should we assume there will be a future community day and not evolve it?

Niantic, I am sick of having to catch Pokémon only find out that a new move exists for non-Evolved forms.

I got a 98% Lucky Gengar, but without Lick it just doesn’t cut it.

Groudon and Kyogre will be replaced by Precipice Blades and Primordial Sea variants, underminging the rare candy and the stardust investment in Pokémon already acquired. (Yes, the moves are in the game master file/code).

Kanburi we are more than halfway through to the Ultra Friends Tier, let’s try and send eachother Friend Gifts between now and then so we can move past the current Great Friends stage.

With it being over 3 weeks away, we can definitely make it in time.

P.S. I just sent one today: YourXGod is my username.
Thanks, just sent you one too.

I wonder if this also includes the Sinnoh Stone from facing against Team Leaders as a guarantee. If just says they get a bonus, but does that mean both days or just the community day? I.e. can you rewards from a challenge to team leaders 5x?
Can you get a guaranteed one per day on at least the first one?
Only community day?
It sounds like you can get rewards from Team Leaders 5x a day on both February 16th and 17th, but the Sinnoh Stones are only guaranteed on the day of CD in your area. So if you're in Asia/Pacific, you have 5 chances to get rewards from Team Leaders on the 16th, and you'll get 5 Sinnoh Stones as long as you battle Team Leaders 5x on the 17th.

EDIT: After the Hoenn event ends tomorrow (I still have to evolve a Shroomish), Palkia will take over as 5* raid boss.

Last edited:
Cool raid boss
Wont make me slack off but Im not in the need to raid with Premium Passes, should be enough to save up for the inevitable return of the shiny Sky High Pokémon

Well, it does have higher Atk, but no Water fast attack which means it won't surpass our orca, but I actually fear it. In PvP it'll be better answer to Groudon with its part Dragon type, and with fairies weak in general and there being no other Uber Dragon yet, it will wreak havoc in Master league. This Giga-Kingdra will destroy things, with little exploitable weaknesses.
Or at least until Dialga comes, if it can run double Dragon attacks.
(I feel like I want Xerneas now just to slap dragons. To think Reshiram and Zekrom precede it too, and two of those Über can handle Xer....)

... and good replacement to Kyogre for newcomers, I suppose.

Anyway, last day and I got shiny Kyogre and Groudon in last 3 raids before going home. Arceus was in such happy mood.

Finally a raid where Dragons can shine, to remind us of the good ol' days!

Since the damage rebalance, counters with Super Effective moves are just much better than generalists. My Dragonite and Rayquaza have been asleep since then.

It's just too bad there's no pure Fairy attacker; it would've been a good option here. Such a missed opportunity for Togekiss.

I read something along the lines of Palkia being a better (or at least equally viable) Salamence. Both are generally outclassed by Rayquaza but Palkia has the best Defense of the listed Dragons by a fair margin. One of Palkia's best selling points is its Dragon / Water typing; its bulk and typing allows it to counter every Fire-type and Water-type in the game which makes it a very valuable attacker. Dragon Tail + Hydro Pump is a good moveset as well. Crossing my fingers for an eventual Spacial Rend Palkia which would probably move it near Rayquaza-tier as a Dragon attacker.

Palkia: 280 Attack, 215 Defense, 189 Stamina (Dragon Tail, Draco Meteor)

Rayquaza: 284 Attack, 170 Defense, 213 Stamina (Outrage)

Dragonite: 263 Attack, 198 Defense, 209 Stamina (Outrage / Draco Meteor)

Salamence: 277 Attack, 168 Defense, 216 Stamina (Draco Meteor)

Edit Kanburi I'm still walking Scizor so I can evolve a Sycther ;_;

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)