PU Analyses Discussion Thread

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was looking at some past gen joke analyses that were pretty funny (i.e. Spinda, Luvdisc, Delibird, and Beautifly)

Is it possible to do a similar thing this gen just for the fun of it?
Probably not, it isn't completely out of the question but they had a number of difficulties associated with them and it'll be difficult enough as is to get done with analyses before gen 8

asa

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
For credits, how do I find my user ID number?

Also, should I give credit to am checks?
The user ID number is the six numbers that follow your username in the link to your Smogon profile. (allstarapology.400292) Also, only give credit to the official checkers.

Quick note: if we focus on PU mons "by use" (above 3,41% of uses), we see that there are 4 very used NFEs: Gurdurr, Ferroseed, Clefairy and Haunter. In the Strategy dex, they are rightly classified in the PU tier (so far no problem). On the other hand and unlike gen 6, other viable NFEs are not categorized as PU. Interesting comparison: Venipede in gen 6, which had a small niche as suicide lead, has a double categorization while Tangela in gen 7, which is much more used, does not even tier. Unless the policy has changed on this point, should not these NFEs be classified as PU?

For a complete overview:
• there are the NFEs already having an analysis (without categorization of course): Combusken, Kadabra, Munchlax, Murkrow, Pawniard, Servine, Tangela and Togetic;
• there are those who are present in the VRs but without analysis: Misdreavus, Roselia, Bronzor, Natu, Vigoroth, Dusclops, Hippopotas, Metang and Sliggoo;
Type: Null is a special case because it's already classified as PU but it not very used (the problem does not arise for him);
• finally, Pikachu and Prinplup have a moveset but they are apparently not viable (I guess their page must be blank).
For information, I just note here that since my first post the classification of NFEs in PU has been clarified (I'm probably for nothing but I approve in any case the gait):
• in gen 6, all viable NFEs that did not reach the 3.41% are no longer classified in PU (so it's like in gen 7);
• in gen 7, Type: Null and Togetic are no longer categorized also;
• it's up to you to see whether or not you remove the moveset of Prinplup and Pikachu.
Changement politique NFEs 2.png
Changement politique NFEs 1.png
If you want to go further:
• in gen 6 again, if I rely on the last tier shifts (november 2016), Servine and Zweilous should also be declassified;
• this rule could also be applied for NU in gen 5; if we still rely on the last tier shifts (september 2013), the following NFEs should no longer be categorized: Machoke, Seadra, Magmar, Dragonair, Togetic, Natu, Murkrow, Pineco, Sneasel, Combusken, Vigoroth, Lairon, Wynaut, Shelgon, Gabite, Munchlax, Riolu, Servine (knowing that there is already Serperior), Scraggy, Gothorita, Duosion, Frillish, Lampent, Fraxure and Zweilous. This is already the case for Klang and Tentacool.
After, I suspect that this subject should rather be mentioned in the RoA thread.

Last edited:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
AV Hitmonchan has an extra 22 EVs if you guys didn't know already

issue's been fixt - asa

Last edited by a moderator:

Softy

Banned deucer.
Pyroar is mentioned in Mawile's analyses 5 times despite being PUBL:
* 3 times in Physical Wall's Team Options
* 1 time in Other Options
* 1 time in Fire-types (Checks and Counters)

Edit: It also appears in Aggron's Offensive Stealth Rock's Team Options

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Been messing around with my favorite beast Ursaring, and noticed in its analysis that Low Kick has zero mentions. It should definitely be given a heavy mention, possibly even a slash. You hit everything that you need to for KOes without the undesirable defense drops that come with Close Combat. For reference, you still get the same KOes on Regirock, Aurorus, Alolan Dugtrio, Alolan Sandslash, Aggron, Lycanroc, Kabutops (after SR), Probopass, Metang, and Golem, and the only truly noticeable difference is against defensive Omastar and Carracosta. I definitely find Low Kick superior when trying to sweep with the bear since the defense drops will matter more often than not getting the KO on the two defensive shellfish.

Last edited:

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
pikanalysis doesn't have pu stats and i think it lumps nu and pu together otherwise the usage doesn't make sense
I don't know what the proper stats are, but I haven't bothered to check so that would help. However, even if headbutt shenanigans is its most popular stat on the PU ladder, the fact remains that Chlorophyll is the better set that accurately reflects Sawsbuck's best niche in the meta. Our aim is not to reflect the most common sets, but the best sets. Chlorophyll isn't especially good, but flinchbuck on its own wouldn't even be ranked it's so poor.

Hello! Like every other scrub that found out that Doom dropped, I immediately built a Sun team with it. In the Other Options section with Volbeat, it mentioned Tailwind users such as Lumineon and various Silvally forms. This seems pretty old due to Tailwind being practically unviable in the current meta along with mentioning multiple unviable mons so I think this should be removed. There’s also a Hippopotas mention in C&C.
mz edit: took care of this

Reactions: gum
Sunflora is a hopeless Grass-type that aims to function on sun but falls on its face due to its awful Speed, unsalvageable even with Chlorophyll, and especially poor Defense. As a sun sweeper, Sunflora is outclassed entirely by Victreebel, which has far greater Speed, a Grass / Poison typing, better bulk, and access to Sleep Powder, all of which allow Victreebel to take advantage of Growth to become a far more effective sweeper in sun. Even as a slower wallbreaker focused on power, Alolan Exeggutor does its job far better due to sporting an additional Dragon typing, stronger STAB attacks, more coverage, notably better bulk, and no reliance on sun.

Alolan Eggy is NU now and should not be in the analysis for Sunflora.

I feel like Ledian's current Analysis needs an overhaul due to the fact that the set does not play to the strengths of Ledian's stats and frankly is a little rude towards the pokemon. This set is to utilize the 110 base Spec D, the current analysis is only utilizing the physical attack as opposed to the higher
base special attack.

Ledian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- U-turn

>Assault vest to boost the already very good SpD
> Bug Buzz for high BP STAB and a check for the numerous grass and psychic types that are common (Such as Raichu-Alola and Tangela)
>Air Slash for the fighting types like Gurdurr, also solid STAB w/ flinch chance.
>HP Fighting for all of the ice, steel, and rock types in the PU metagame
>U-Turn to get out of sticky situations

Offensive Pivot ~

tondas

YOU DONT WANT NO PROBLEMS YOU JUST TALKING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel like Ledian's current Analysis needs an overhaul due to the fact that the set does not play to the strengths of Ledian's stats and frankly is a little rude towards the pokemon. This set is to utilize the 110 base Spec D, the current analysis is only utilizing the physical attack as opposed to the higher
base special attack.

Ledian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- U-turn

>Assault vest to boost the already very good SpD
> Bug Buzz for high BP STAB and a check for the numerous grass and psychic types that are common (Such as Raichu-Alola and Tangela)
>Air Slash for the fighting types like Gurdurr, also solid STAB w/ flinch chance.
>HP Fighting for all of the ice, steel, and rock types in the PU metagame
>U-Turn to get out of sticky situations

Offensive Pivot ~
we are not making any set changes for this godawful pokemon and the qc team has much more important priorities right now including removing mesprit mentions and possibly including other set changes/revamps pertaining to the absence of mesprit and the inclusion of pokemon like ferroseed. the original analysis was also written as a joke and any set ledian uses will be severely outclassed no matter what so there's little point in touching the set at this point besides removing mentions of outdated pokemon.

we are not making any set changes for this godawful pokemon and the qc team has much more important priorities right now including removing mesprit mentions and possibly including other set changes/revamps pertaining to the absence of mesprit and the inclusion of pokemon like ferroseed. the original analysis was also written as a joke and any set ledian uses will be severely outclassed no matter what so there's little point in touching the set at this point besides removing mentions of outdated pokemon.

So, what you're saying is in a metagame made for sucky pokemon, you want to exclude this pokemon because you feel he's slightly more sucky.
Also Mesprit is mentioned in Chimecho Analysis along with Carbink's.

MZ

So, what you're saying is in a metagame made for sucky pokemon, you want to exclude this pokemon because you feel he's slightly more sucky.
Also Mesprit is mentioned in Chimecho Analysis along with Carbink's.
No. We're saying in the metagame that exists, Ledian is too poor to be worth giving an analysis. If you want to exclusively think of PU as "for sucky Pokemon", then you'll miss the very real point that so is every metagame except Ubers and Anything Goes. There are relative levels of strength, and Ledian is well below that of PU's. I'm sorry but this critique just doesn't work.
Also yeah Mesprit just left and we're going to work on updating our analyses but it'll take a while because there's a lot of stuff and Mesprit mentions are everywhere.

No. We're saying in the metagame that exists, Ledian is too poor to be worth giving an analysis. If you want to exclusively think of PU as "for sucky Pokemon", then you'll miss the very real point that so is every metagame except Ubers and Anything Goes. There are relative levels of strength, and Ledian is well below that of PU's. I'm sorry but this critique just doesn't work.
Also yeah Mesprit just left and we're going to work on updating our analyses but it'll take a while because there's a lot of stuff and Mesprit mentions are everywhere.
I may be sad about Ledi, but I'll still help w/ mesprit mentions scattered. Smogon First, feelings later

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
All have Mesprit Mentions

(You can use CTRL+F to search for certain words)
appreciated, but mesprit was S tier on the viability rankings, pretty much every analysis right now has it.
it'll get done, trust, but there's not much merit in pointing out specific pokemon that have mesprit in their analysis at the moment.

i don't think Regigigas' set is the most optimal one (relatively) in PU atm - I think Z-Psych Up is significantly better because it allows Gigas to have one time healing which is way better for longevity and actually allows Gigas to survive for 5 turns without solely relying on parahax.

if we do end up doing a rewrite with this in mind though i wouldn't mind writing for it

Last edited:
Reactions: gum

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
i don't think Regigigas' set is the most optimal one (relatively) in PU atm - I think Z-Psych Up is significantly better because it allows Gigas to have one time healing which is way better for longevity and actually allows Gigas to survive for 5 turns without solely relying on parahax.

if we do end up doing a rewrite with this in mind though i wouldn't mind writing for it
while i can see the benefit of having a full heal on regigigas, the incredible cost of having to give it the z crystal of the team makes this a set i dont want to suggest to people. there are many, many better ways to use the z crystal so the opportunity cost of this set actually makes this an even bigger draw on the potential team than usual

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)