Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Dynamax is meh, Gigantamax is cringe.
Via the Japanese trailer, Rolycoly gets Smack Down.

Via the Japanese website, Gigantamaxed Pokemon get special moves, and not all Pokemon (even if they're the same specie) can be Gigantamaxed. Only certain Pokemon you catch in Max Raid Battles (is that what they're called?) can be Gigantamaxed.

Also, version exclusives are here:

Last edited:
That Ghost-type trainer looks... creepy, for the lack of a better word.

The Ice-type Pokémon in the trailer looks interesting but I'll wait until more info about it. So Duraludon is Steel/Dragon? That totally sounds like this generation's pseudo-legendary, but honestly it looked more like Ice-type to me. It's going to be in my team most likely, anyways.

Also, version exclusives are here:

So far I'd be heading towards Shield as I've never used Larvitar or Goomy in any story. That being said, it's interesting that pseudo-legendaries are version-exclusive. A first, IIRC.

Surprises me to see Kommo-O in the game despite Z-crystals not existing actually. It was one of the pokemon i was 100% sure it'd not make the cut.

Also something I noticed, Impidimp was not mentioned at all in the trailer.

That being said, it's interesting that pseudo-legendaries are version-exclusive. A first, IIRC.
To be honest, it's still past gen version exclusives, very likely that whatever pseudo-lege gen 8 has it's not exclusive :)

Considering that we knew there are Dynamax levels, I'm betting my two cents that Gigantamax is a max-level Dynamax, and nothing else.
Possible honestly, though it'd surprise me if they came up with a Gigantomax for *every single pokemon in the pokedex*.

Considering that we knew there are Dynamax levels, I'm betting my two cents that Gigantamax is a max-level Dynamax, and nothing else.
Possible honestly, though it'd surprise me if they came up with a Gigantomax for *every single pokemon in the pokedex*.
According to the wording on their page they just updated
https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-gb/gameplay/gigantamax/

Looks like the trigger is something else.

Not only only certain species can Gigantomax, but also only certain specific individuals.

TLDR guess we won't know till the game releases.

LOOOOOL

Drednaw-Giga's G-Max move Stonesurge is a Water-type damaging move that sets Stealth Rocks.
https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-gb/pokemon-galar-region/drednaw/gigantamax/

Corviknight-Giga has damage move Defog.
https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-gb/pokemon-galar-region/corviknight/gigantamax/

Alcremie-Giga heals your whole side while damaging the opponent.
https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-gb/pokemon-galar-region/alcremie/gigantamax/

Gigantamax is going to outclass Dynamax so hard that you might as well forget about the whole Dynamax thing months before release.

Last edited:
So the information about these new mons is already on the official website:

ALCREMIE

There's nothing notable about the obvious Swirlix expy in the website. Just some flavor info.

YAMMER

This... thing's ability has been explained. It will pick up any Poké Ball (or equivalent) you throw that fails to catch a wild Pokémon as a held item. So unless there's some Knock Off or Bestow thing, it only works once.

ROLYCOLY

Steam Engine drastically increases the Pokémon's speed when hit by a Fire- or Water-type attack. Weakness Policy, anyone?

DURALUDON

Unless it gets a good Hidden Ability, it will always use Light Metal as it's very lightweight. Apart from that, I think it could be this gen's pseudo-legendary... but who knows?

LOOOOOL

Dreadnaw's G-Move Stonesurge is a Water-type damaging move that sets Stealth Rocks. Gigantamax is going to outclass Dynamax so hard that you might aswell forget about the whole Dynamax thing months before release.

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-gb/pokemon-galar-region/drednaw/gigantamax/
Gigamax Corviknight's move gets a Defog side-effect by the way. A Defog that also removes Electric Terrain. Maybe it is also getting buffed?

Attachments

Unless it gets a good Hidden Ability, it will always use Light Metal as it's very lightweight. Apart from that, I think it could be this gen's pseudo-legendary... but who knows?
Even without factoring in EV/IVs, i'm quite confident this is very low HP for a level 62

Seems like he'll be an almost literal glass cannon.

Are we getting version exclusive gyms this generation? Bea (fighting type) had a Sword logo in her intro and Allistar (Ghost) had the shield logo.

Would be a good way to shake up the games imo.
The website confirms they are indeed version exclusive gyms.

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I'm hoping Duraludon gets an amazing HA, because its current setup seems a little woeful to be honest. Would be unfortunate for another legendary exclusive typing to be relegated to a mediocre 'mon like had been done with Turtonator.

OK, so... this disproves a copycat leak, while strengthening the 4chan leak even further. I believe we heard about Chairman Rose and Oleana in the 4chan leak, and GameFaqs leak claimed a Ghost-type E4, while we got Ghost gym leader instead.

A waifu version of Swirlix. It's... cute, yet it is still a copycat. Well, I'll just see how it'll fare, if it's worth running.
And I dare to bet at least 3 minutes since this airs, pr0n of it is already going on.

Last edited:
> Game Freak: We are going to balance the game, so please understand.
> Game Freak HQs: Ey guys, hear me for a sec. U know that ppl is a little bit pissed about dexit and we told them we were about to balance things to make weaker mons viable. What about this Rock type Pokémon? It's cool, right? U know what would be even more cool? Using Heatproof on it.
> Game Freak BECARIO: ... I know I'm the new guy here but... Why Heatproof? What does that acomplish? If you want it to resist Fire type attacks better, why won't u use Sandstream, which is arguably a greater ability and provides it with a nice SpD boost to tank powerful SpA Fire attacks along with boosting its SpD in every area?
> Game Freak HQs: ...
Ignore him. Also, I've come with a new ability. I don't remember its name, but it allows this mon to gain a x2 bonus in Speed when attacked by Fire or WATER moves. Now you can switch in your rock type Pokémon into Scalds.

Ignore him. Also, I've come with a new ability. I don't remember its name, but it allows this mon to gain a x2 bonus in Speed when attacked by Fire or WATER moves. Now you can switch in your rock type Pokémon into Scalds.
It works with Weakness Policy at least. Switch into Aqua Jet for +2 on Attack and Special Attack and +3 in Speed (it says "drastically" in the website screenshot). It's still situational at best, I guess.

It works with Weakness Policy at least. Switch into Aqua Jet for +2 on Attack and Special Attack and +3 in Speed (it says "drastically" in the website screenshot). It's still situational at best, I guess.
I know you're memeing, but depending on the stats and potential evolutions of that pokemon, Passho berry could be a viable option, allowing to flat out eat a water attack and then outspeed the turn after.

Sorry, I meant to miss rock slide the turn after.

I know you're memeing, but depending on the stats and potential evolutions of that pokemon, Passho berry could be a viable option, allowing to flat out eat a water attack and then outspeed the turn after.

Sorry, I meant to miss rock slide the turn after.
Passho Berry and Weakness Policy? Just Passho Berry seems like a waste.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
> Game Freak: We are going to balance the game, so please understand.
> Game Freak HQs: Ey guys, hear me for a sec. U know that ppl is a little bit pissed about dexit and we told them we were about to balance things to make weaker mons viable. What about this Rock type Pokémon? It's cool, right? U know what would be even more cool? Using Heatproof on it.
> Game Freak BECARIO: ... I know I'm the new guy here but... Why Heatproof? What does that acomplish? If you want it to resist Fire type attacks better, why won't u use Sandstream, which is arguably a greater ability and provides it with a nice SpD boost to tank powerful SpA Fire attacks along with boosting its SpD in every area?
> Game Freak HQs: ...
Not every Pokemon has to be hyper competitively viable. Flavor additions are a thing, you know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)