Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Running a proper Heatran check is necessary for any consistent team first off, so I'd try to restructure your team to have one of these. Regardless, if you are deadset on keeping it as is for some reason, try HP Ice for catching some 4x on very common Pokemon, perhaps.
I have a check for Heatran: Gliscor. However, even with heavy investment, its SpD isn't great, so it struggles to take more than a regular magma storm. It can outspeed and force Heatran out with EQ, but if it takes a FF boosted magma storm, it probably won't be able to switch in on it again. I don't think I can replace Gliscor, as I need it to check banded TTar.

Is there a good reason not to be running lefties + Leech/Protect? I can't really advise a team that is going to lose to an S-Rank mon like Heatran every time, but for me, I'd take Rock Slide since Cele can lure for Zard and Volcarona as well.
Assault vest allows Celesteela to take a FF boosted magma storm from Heatran, which is important for reasons explained above. Otherwise, I'd use leech seed.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I have a check for Heatran: Gliscor. However, even with heavy investment, its SpD isn't great, so it struggles to take more than a regular magma storm. It can outspeed and force Heatran out with EQ, but if it takes a FF boosted magma storm, it probably won't be able to switch in on it again. I don't think I can replace Gliscor, as I need it to check banded TTar.
CB Tar does not exist anymore really, but Gliscor is a Heatran check nevertheless. I would simply advise not throwing out Flamethrowers unless pressured and trying to play more aggressive around these situations. Heatran is a strong Pokemon in the metagame and you have counterplay to it, but it is not wise to totally compromise a good, durable Celesteela set for something that will not last nearly as long and will be compressed in order to cater to a specific situation, in my opinion.

CB Tar does not exist anymore really, but Gliscor is a Heatran check nevertheless. I would simply advise not throwing out Flamethrowers unless pressured and trying to play more aggressive around these situations. Heatran is a strong Pokemon in the metagame and you have counterplay to it, but it is not wise to totally compromise a good, durable Celesteela set for something that will not last nearly as long and will be compressed in order to cater to a specific situation, in my opinion.
Thanks; I'll drop the assault vest. Do you think it'd be viable to run the standard set with shed shell? Assault vest allowed Celesteela to avoid the OHKO from Magnezone's Gigavolt Havoc, and take hits from scarf variants much more comfortably. Shed shell would mean not having to stay in on Magnezone, of course.

While it's nice to avoid getting trapped by Magnezone, you simply don't see Magnezone often enough to warrant dropping Leftovers and thus will have to solely rely on Leech Seed recovery (and Wish on stall, I guess). To me it seems like you're trying cater for a situation that is too specific and will hurt your team in the grand scheme of things.

While it's nice to avoid getting trapped by Magnezone, you simply don't see Magnezone often enough to warrant dropping Leftovers and thus will have to solely rely on Leech Seed recovery (and Wish on stall, I guess). To me it seems like you're trying cater for a situation that is too specific and will hurt your team in the grand scheme of things.
I should have mentioned that this is on a stall team, with Chansey for wish support. Does that change anything?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
What's up with Koko's low WCOP usage and just overall generally low usage in tournament campared to ladder?
I think in general a lot of people like to use offense on the ladder (especially KokoLucha hyper offense) often featuring VoltTurn cores which is where Tapu Koko shines. In tournaments however, especially this WCoP, a lot of players go a safer route and tend to use bulkier balance builds making Tapu Koko a less common sight.

I think in general a lot of people like to use offense on the ladder (especially KokoLucha hyper offense) often featuring VoltTurn cores which is where Tapu Koko shines. In tournaments however, especially this WCoP, a lot of players go a safer route and tend to use bulkier balance builds making Tapu Koko a less common sight.
I think screens HO is also worth mentioning here as HO is generally a strategy used on ladder due to how it's often much less successful for tournament players to do. Since this HO strat is so common on ladder and rather absent in tournaments, there is a large gap in their usage stats due to this.

What's the thought process for when Ditto is the right scarfer for a team? I see it a lot, but it seems to be kind of inconsistent because you're dependent on whatever mon your opponent has in and it has issues with Substitute and mons like Hawlucha. But I know it can be really good against stall.

I was wondering if there are any checks to Heatran that aren't worried about toxic, and can remove the rocks Heatran usually sets up.

Lately, I've mostly been using Gliscor as my check to Heatran, as it likes to run toxic + rocks a lot; Gliscor is unphazed by toxic, defogs away rocks, and OHKOs with EQ. However, I have found it doesn't bring much else to the team. On top of this, common pivots immune to EQ (like Torn, lando, and Rotom) switch in for free. Gliscor also fails to check many other Pokemon, in my experience, so I end up giving it stealth rock so something else on my team can run another move to check offensive threats (like confide on Chansey for Magearna and Blace). This leaves Gliscor with no room for toxic to punish the aforementioned pivots.

So, any recommendations for a Gliscor replacement?

I was wondering if there are any checks to Heatran that aren't worried about toxic, and can remove the rocks Heatran usually sets up.

Lately, I've mostly been using Gliscor as my check to Heatran, as it likes to run toxic + rocks a lot; Gliscor is unphazed by toxic, defogs away rocks, and OHKOs with EQ. However, I have found it doesn't bring much else to the team. On top of this, common pivots immune to EQ (like Torn, lando, and Rotom) switch in for free. Gliscor also fails to check many other Pokemon, in my experience, so I end up giving it stealth rock so something else on my team can run another move to check offensive threats (like confide on Chansey for Magearna and Blace). This leaves Gliscor with no room for toxic to punish the aforementioned pivots.

So, any recommendations for a Gliscor replacement?
Fini is another check to Heatran that doesn't care about Toxic and can Defog away rocks (if not Grassium) with the added bonus of beating Ash-Gren.

DYA

not a weeb
is a Community Contributor
Actually heatran is one of the best heatran check (obviously lacking earth power or having air balloon) as it is inmune to fire attacks and resisting well steel ones

I want to use an Assault Vest Tapu Lele in one of my teams, but I cannot find the right EV spread for it. I also wanted to know what moveset you use on AV Lele. Is it just Psychic, Moonblast, HP Fire and Focus Blast or are there other options to run?

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
I want to use an Assault Vest Tapu Lele in one of my teams, but I cannot find the right EV spread for it. I also wanted to know what moveset you use on AV Lele. Is it just Psychic, Moonblast, HP Fire and Focus Blast or are there other options to run?

Psyshock and Nature's Madness are both used; both help AV Lele check Volcarona and chip away at Magearna with a little more ease.

the typical spread runs a lot of investment in HP, with some spatk investment and a modest natures, as well as speed to creep whatever targets you'd like, such as max speed magearna etc.

I don't have the exact spread on hand, but I recall seeing spreads similar to

EVs: 252 HP / 36 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature

Which creeps Heatran by a few points (and Pokemon creeping Heatran, like Gliscor).

edit: yeah that's probably fine

Last edited:
Psyshock and Nature's Madness are both used; both help AV Lele check Volcarona and chip away at Magearna with a little more ease.

the typical spread runs a lot of investment in HP, with some spatk investment and a modest natures, as well as speed to creep whatever targets you'd like, such as max speed magearna etc.

I don't have the exact spread on hand, but I recall seeing spreads similar to

Modest Nature

Which creeps Heatran by a few points (and Pokemon creeping Heatran, like Gliscor).
Is this something?

Tapu Lele @ Assault Vest
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nature's Madness
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast

I've seen mew with ice beam and stealth rock quite a bit lately; is this a standard set? I didn't see it on the strategy dex.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
I've seen mew with ice beam and stealth rock quite a bit lately; is this a standard set? I didn't see it on the strategy dex.
Those are both very common moves on Mew so yes, it's a standard Mew set. I think Ice Beam isn't explicitly displayed in the defensive set on the strategy dex because it could be slashed after every single move other than Soft-Boiled (as stated in the moves section of the description) and that would be visually messy.

Hey guys! New to the forum, and new to showdown but no to pokémon.
I've been playing 3DS for some time and seeing some action on BSS in cartdridge, but i didn't like the format, soa friend of mine introduce me to the forum and PS.
Excadrill is my favourite pokémon and I would like to build some teams with him, especially with its ability sand rush it may be a good pokemon with double speed, so, I want to ask how to build most likely a team which can take advantage of sand rush, but I have no idea what to use to cover its weaknesses and partnerts which can assist it to sweep, apart from a sand setter like Tyranitar, Hippowdon or Gigalith.
I would be glad if you can help me.

Thank you so much!

Hey guys! New to the forum, and new to showdown but no to pokémon.
I've been playing 3DS for some time and seeing some action on BSS in cartdridge, but i didn't like the format, soa friend of mine introduce me to the forum and PS.
Excadrill is my favourite pokémon and I would like to build some teams with him, especially with its ability sand rush it may be a good pokemon with double speed, so, I want to ask how to build most likely a team which can take advantage of sand rush, but I have no idea what to use to cover its weaknesses and partnerts which can assist it to sweep, apart from a sand setter like Tyranitar, Hippowdon or Gigalith.
I would be glad if you can help me.

Thank you so much!
I recommend you read the on-site analysis for Excadrill. Here's a link: https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/excadrill/

The analyses are written to show what stuff does in the meta and relevant usage tips. They're updated periodically so they're a good reference when you're unsure of where to go when teambuilding. I've been on PS for several years now and I still frequently use the analyses for reference just because they're a good resource.

Have fun on PS!

How imperative is it that Gliscor be faster than Heatran? The team I'm using struggles with Diancie-M, as my only 'mon that can check it can't remove its rocks. Once rocks are up, many 3HKOs become 2HKOS, and so I'm almost certain to lose. If I could have more SpD on Gliscor, it could check Diancie, and remove its rocks. I was thinking of using Mew, but it's prone to status, and Heatran often has toxic.

How imperative is it that Gliscor be faster than Heatran? The team I'm using struggles with Diancie-M, as my only 'mon that can check it can't remove its rocks. Once rocks are up, many 3HKOs become 2HKOS, and so I'm almost certain to lose. If I could have more SpD on Gliscor, it could check Diancie, and remove its rocks. I was thinking of using Mew, but it's prone to status, and Heatran often has toxic.
Z-Tran run modest which puts them at 253 speed, a positive speed nature Gliscor only needs to run 20 speed EVs to guarantee outspeed that, a neutral nature needs 112 EVs.

If the Tran is running Timid, then 244 Hp 192 SpDef Gliscor wouldn't outspeed Tran, but would live z-flashcannon and z-magma without rocks 100% of the time, and have a 6.3% OHKO chance and a 75% OHKO chance after rocks respectively.

Try this set Gliscor Jolly, I haven't run other defensive calcs, but offensively, of course, EQ kills 100% of the time.

If you're looking to live Diancie's attacks this spread SpDef Gliscor will live hidden power ice from full, with moonblast only having a 16% 2HKO after poison heal, but most importantly it outspeeds modest Tran.

I hope this helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)