Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

power

Networking was the most important
is a Pre-Contributor
I want to use an Assault Vest Tapu Lele in one of my teams, but I cannot find the right EV spread for it. I also wanted to know what moveset you use on AV Lele. Is it just Psychic, Moonblast, HP Fire and Focus Blast or are there other options to run?

Psyshock and Nature's Madness are both used; both help AV Lele check Volcarona and chip away at Magearna with a little more ease.

the typical spread runs a lot of investment in HP, with some spatk investment and a modest natures, as well as speed to creep whatever targets you'd like, such as max speed magearna etc.

I don't have the exact spread on hand, but I recall seeing spreads similar to

EVs: 252 HP / 36 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature

Which creeps Heatran by a few points (and Pokemon creeping Heatran, like Gliscor).

edit: yeah that's probably fine

Last edited:
Psyshock and Nature's Madness are both used; both help AV Lele check Volcarona and chip away at Magearna with a little more ease.

the typical spread runs a lot of investment in HP, with some spatk investment and a modest natures, as well as speed to creep whatever targets you'd like, such as max speed magearna etc.

I don't have the exact spread on hand, but I recall seeing spreads similar to

Modest Nature

Which creeps Heatran by a few points (and Pokemon creeping Heatran, like Gliscor).
Is this something?

Tapu Lele @ Assault Vest
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nature's Madness
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast

I've seen mew with ice beam and stealth rock quite a bit lately; is this a standard set? I didn't see it on the strategy dex.

I've seen mew with ice beam and stealth rock quite a bit lately; is this a standard set? I didn't see it on the strategy dex.
Those are both very common moves on Mew so yes, it's a standard Mew set. I think Ice Beam isn't explicitly displayed in the defensive set on the strategy dex because it could be slashed after every single move other than Soft-Boiled (as stated in the moves section of the description) and that would be visually messy.

Hey guys! New to the forum, and new to showdown but no to pokémon.
I've been playing 3DS for some time and seeing some action on BSS in cartdridge, but i didn't like the format, soa friend of mine introduce me to the forum and PS.
Excadrill is my favourite pokémon and I would like to build some teams with him, especially with its ability sand rush it may be a good pokemon with double speed, so, I want to ask how to build most likely a team which can take advantage of sand rush, but I have no idea what to use to cover its weaknesses and partnerts which can assist it to sweep, apart from a sand setter like Tyranitar, Hippowdon or Gigalith.
I would be glad if you can help me.

Thank you so much!

Hey guys! New to the forum, and new to showdown but no to pokémon.
I've been playing 3DS for some time and seeing some action on BSS in cartdridge, but i didn't like the format, soa friend of mine introduce me to the forum and PS.
Excadrill is my favourite pokémon and I would like to build some teams with him, especially with its ability sand rush it may be a good pokemon with double speed, so, I want to ask how to build most likely a team which can take advantage of sand rush, but I have no idea what to use to cover its weaknesses and partnerts which can assist it to sweep, apart from a sand setter like Tyranitar, Hippowdon or Gigalith.
I would be glad if you can help me.

Thank you so much!
I recommend you read the on-site analysis for Excadrill. Here's a link: https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/excadrill/

The analyses are written to show what stuff does in the meta and relevant usage tips. They're updated periodically so they're a good reference when you're unsure of where to go when teambuilding. I've been on PS for several years now and I still frequently use the analyses for reference just because they're a good resource.

Have fun on PS!

How imperative is it that Gliscor be faster than Heatran? The team I'm using struggles with Diancie-M, as my only 'mon that can check it can't remove its rocks. Once rocks are up, many 3HKOs become 2HKOS, and so I'm almost certain to lose. If I could have more SpD on Gliscor, it could check Diancie, and remove its rocks. I was thinking of using Mew, but it's prone to status, and Heatran often has toxic.

How imperative is it that Gliscor be faster than Heatran? The team I'm using struggles with Diancie-M, as my only 'mon that can check it can't remove its rocks. Once rocks are up, many 3HKOs become 2HKOS, and so I'm almost certain to lose. If I could have more SpD on Gliscor, it could check Diancie, and remove its rocks. I was thinking of using Mew, but it's prone to status, and Heatran often has toxic.
Z-Tran run modest which puts them at 253 speed, a positive speed nature Gliscor only needs to run 20 speed EVs to guarantee outspeed that, a neutral nature needs 112 EVs.

If the Tran is running Timid, then 244 Hp 192 SpDef Gliscor wouldn't outspeed Tran, but would live z-flashcannon and z-magma without rocks 100% of the time, and have a 6.3% OHKO chance and a 75% OHKO chance after rocks respectively.

Try this set Gliscor Jolly, I haven't run other defensive calcs, but offensively, of course, EQ kills 100% of the time.

If you're looking to live Diancie's attacks this spread SpDef Gliscor will live hidden power ice from full, with moonblast only having a 16% 2HKO after poison heal, but most importantly it outspeeds modest Tran.

I hope this helped.

Z-Tran run modest which puts them at 253 speed, a positive speed nature Gliscor only needs to run 20 speed EVs to guarantee outspeed that, a neutral nature needs 112 EVs.

If the Tran is running Timid, then 244 Hp 192 SpDef Gliscor wouldn't outspeed Tran, but would live z-flashcannon and z-magma without rocks 100% of the time, and have a 6.3% OHKO chance and a 75% OHKO chance after rocks respectively.

Try this set Gliscor Jolly, I haven't run other defensive calcs, but offensively, of course, EQ kills 100% of the time.

If you're looking to live Diancie's attacks this spread SpDef Gliscor will live hidden power ice from full, with moonblast only having a 16% 2HKO after poison heal, but most importantly it outspeeds modest Tran.

I hope this helped.
Seems great! I never thought of that. What are the 4 Def EVs on the SpD set for?

I have been using a team with a seismitoad lately, but I don't know what EV spread I need to run. Do I just run Max Sp Def and Max HP or is there a better option?

I have been using a team with a seismitoad lately, but I don't know what EV spread I need to run. Do I just run Max Sp Def and Max HP or is there a better option?
I don't think Seismitoad is all that viable, but if you want to use it, here's a decent set I put together:

Seismitoad @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 84 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Rocky helmet punishes u-turn, which is especially useful since you can block Koko's volt switch. Leftovers can be used for longevity if you aren't concerned about u-turn spam. Max HP, 84 SpD, and a calm nature allow you to avoid the 2HKO from specs Greninja's dark pulse prior to transformation; post-transformation, it has a chance to 2HKO max SpD sets, so it isn't a viable check at that point. The speed EVs allow you to outspeed adamant Mawile with 252 speed EVs. You shouldn't switch Seismitoad in on it, but Mawile has few reliable switch ins, so you'll want to outspeed it if it comes in on Seismitoad. The rest of the EVs are put into defense to better take physical attacks.

The moves are pretty self-explanatory. Sludge bomb/wave looks nice to punish Bulu switch ins, but scald and toxic do that already. You can also use knock off over toxic; I think its other 3 moves are worth keeping.

I don't think Seismitoad is all that viable, but if you want to use it, here's a decent set I put together:

Seismitoad @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 84 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Rocky helmet punishes u-turn, which is especially useful since you can block Koko's volt switch. Leftovers can be used for longevity if you aren't concerned about u-turn spam. Max HP, 84 SpD, and a calm nature allow you to avoid the 2HKO from specs Greninja's dark pulse prior to transformation; post-transformation, it has a chance to 2HKO max SpD sets, so it isn't a viable check at that point. The speed EVs allow you to outspeed adamant Mawile with 252 speed EVs. You shouldn't switch Seismitoad in on it, but Mawile has few reliable switch ins, so you'll want to outspeed it if it comes in on Seismitoad. The rest of the EVs are put into defense to better take physical attacks.

The moves are pretty self-explanatory. Sludge bomb/wave looks nice to punish Bulu switch ins, but scald and toxic do that already. You can also use knock off over toxic; I think its other 3 moves are worth keeping.
Thanks, and I think seismitoad is a great check for heatran and I get rocks up too. Someone recommended me to use it on discord, and it works pretty well for me. I feel like it's actually good enough to be on the VR, and it has picked up some usage recently, too, so I'm not the only one that thinks it's good!

Thanks, and I think seismitoad is a great check for heatran and I get rocks up too. Someone recommended me to use it on discord, and it works pretty well for me. I feel like it's actually good enough to be on the VR, and it has picked up some usage recently, too, so I'm not the only one that thinks it's good!
If you feel it should be on the VR, feel free to make your case in the VR thread; just be sure to read and follow the rules. Personally, I think Seismitoad is almost entirely outclassed by Gastrodon. The only thing Seismitoad has over Gastrodon is stealth rock, whereas the latter has much more impressive bulk and recover, which allows it to check cm Blace, Ash-Greninja, and other threatening special attackers.

pokeisfun

UU player and community member
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Anyone have replays of 2 good stall teams and players playing that does not end in a draw? I'm having trouble seeing how these games end outside draw because of how strong Regen, Sableye, Poison Heal, etc. are.

pokeisfun

UU player and community member
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
And why did Hiye sack zapdos? That didn't seem necessary at all....esp because he knew the Azu set by then

im just now getting back into mons and playing recently ive seen quite the selection of stall teams on the ladder. these all seem like common-ish teams and ive seen them all at least a few times:

a stall with heatran, gliscor and mega scizor
what looks like a newer version of the oras weavile stall, but with gliscor
a stall with magearna and hippowdon
some avalugg+moltres stall

does anyone have a copypaste for these teams? i need them for uhhh... building against them

im just now getting back into mons and playing recently ive seen quite the selection of stall teams on the ladder. these all seem like common-ish teams and ive seen them all at least a few times:

a stall with heatran, gliscor and mega scizor
what looks like a newer version of the oras weavile stall, but with gliscor
a stall with magearna and hippowdon
some avalugg+moltres stall

does anyone have a copypaste for these teams? i need them for uhhh... building against them
I don't have any of those teams, but I can help. The Avalugg + Moltres hazard control core is beat by Diancie-M, which also beats Sableye. Keep in mind that moonblast hits Avalugg harder than diamond storm. This is important not just for the obvious fact of doing more damage, but for conserving pp. Moonblast also 2HKOs most Gliscor variants, and HP fire can be used for Scizor. Running all 3 of those attacks and stealth rock means that you can't have protect though. You really want stealth rock, as this is the point of having a 'mon that beats hazard control Pokemon. It turns 2HKOs into 3HKOs, especially for the likes of Avalugg and Moltres.

The strategy dex has entries for these Pokemon as well, so be sure to check them out. This is includes Avalugg, which may surprise some people, but is on the VR, after all.

I've been having trouble using Pyukumuku as of late, because it is very reliant on block to do anything. This reliance not only gives it 4MSS; it also makes block very predictable, meaning the opponent will almost always switch to a check, like Toxapex (which has too much pp in haze to be pp stalled, and is immune to toxic). Naturally, one would do this even if Pyukumuku didn't have block; if you're in an unfavorable matchup, you switch to a check. You can't even do much in prediction, as you can't punish the Pokemon that check Pyukumuku with Pyukumuku. Switching is not only risky in some cases, but also unrewarding.

Perhaps I'm using a poor Pyukumuku set? I have the obligatory recover and block, as well as spite and toxic. The latter quickly wears down most Pokemon, while spite deals with substitute and Pokemon immune to toxic. Is there a set that can better deal with switch ins, without compromising Pyukumuku's ability to check several Pokemon? I've used spite sets without toxic before, but you can only pp stall one Pokemon before running out of spite pp, so in matches where you need Pyukumuku for more than one 'mon, you lose. I'd like to use soak+toxic to punish switch ins like Toxapex and Ferrothorn, but without spite, you can't beat setup sweepers like sub Keldeo and Kommo-o.

I guess it's worth noting that block prevents switch ins from doubling, but with only 8pp, it's not possible to take advantage of. This is further made problematic by volt-turn.

I've been having trouble using Pyukumuku as of late, because it is very reliant on block to do anything. This reliance not only gives it 4MSS; it also makes block very predictable, meaning the opponent will almost always switch to a check, like Toxapex (which has too much pp in haze to be pp stalled, and is immune to toxic). Naturally, one would do this even if Pyukumuku didn't have block; if you're in an unfavorable matchup, you switch to a check. You can't even do much in prediction, as you can't punish the Pokemon that check Pyukumuku with Pyukumuku. Switching is not only risky in some cases, but also unrewarding.

Perhaps I'm using a poor Pyukumuku set? I have the obligatory recover and block, as well as spite and toxic. The latter quickly wears down most Pokemon, while spite deals with substitute and Pokemon immune to toxic. Is there a set that can better deal with switch ins, without compromising Pyukumuku's ability to check several Pokemon? I've used spite sets without toxic before, but you can only pp stall one Pokemon before running out of spite pp, so in matches where you need Pyukumuku for more than one 'mon, you lose. I'd like to use soak+toxic to punish switch ins like Toxapex and Ferrothorn, but without spite, you can't beat setup sweepers like sub Keldeo and Kommo-o.

I guess it's worth noting that block prevents switch ins from doubling, but with only 8pp, it's not possible to take advantage of. This is further made problematic by volt-turn.
As far I know, Toxic is used alongside Soak instead of Spite to bypass the target's typing (works best against passive Steels like Mega Aggron & SD Mega Scizor). If you're using Spite, either Rest or Purify can help out Stalling out a lot of targets that rely on Toxic, like Gliscor, Sp. Def. Heatran, and opposing Pyukumuku (if you happen to fight against), or if you're brave enough, Taunt let's you win against Toxapex at the PP Stall battle, but it isn't as useful as other tools Pyuku has.

As far I know, Toxic is used alongside Soak instead of Spite to bypass the target's typing (works best against passive Steels like Mega Aggron & SD Mega Scizor). If you're using Spite, either Rest or Purify can help out Stalling out a lot of targets that rely on Toxic, like Gliscor, Sp. Def. Heatran, and opposing Pyukumuku (if you happen to fight against), or if you're brave enough, Taunt let's you win against Toxapex at the PP Stall battle, but it isn't as useful as other tools Pyuku has.
Thanks, I would just like to point out that purify cures the opponent's poison, not your own. So I'd probably use taunt or rest, I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 1)