Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Z-Tran run modest which puts them at 253 speed, a positive speed nature Gliscor only needs to run 20 speed EVs to guarantee outspeed that, a neutral nature needs 112 EVs.

If the Tran is running Timid, then 244 Hp 192 SpDef Gliscor wouldn't outspeed Tran, but would live z-flashcannon and z-magma without rocks 100% of the time, and have a 6.3% OHKO chance and a 75% OHKO chance after rocks respectively.

Try this set Gliscor Jolly, I haven't run other defensive calcs, but offensively, of course, EQ kills 100% of the time.

If you're looking to live Diancie's attacks this spread SpDef Gliscor will live hidden power ice from full, with moonblast only having a 16% 2HKO after poison heal, but most importantly it outspeeds modest Tran.

I hope this helped.
Seems great! I never thought of that. What are the 4 Def EVs on the SpD set for?

I have been using a team with a seismitoad lately, but I don't know what EV spread I need to run. Do I just run Max Sp Def and Max HP or is there a better option?

I have been using a team with a seismitoad lately, but I don't know what EV spread I need to run. Do I just run Max Sp Def and Max HP or is there a better option?
I don't think Seismitoad is all that viable, but if you want to use it, here's a decent set I put together:

Seismitoad @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 84 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Rocky helmet punishes u-turn, which is especially useful since you can block Koko's volt switch. Leftovers can be used for longevity if you aren't concerned about u-turn spam. Max HP, 84 SpD, and a calm nature allow you to avoid the 2HKO from specs Greninja's dark pulse prior to transformation; post-transformation, it has a chance to 2HKO max SpD sets, so it isn't a viable check at that point. The speed EVs allow you to outspeed adamant Mawile with 252 speed EVs. You shouldn't switch Seismitoad in on it, but Mawile has few reliable switch ins, so you'll want to outspeed it if it comes in on Seismitoad. The rest of the EVs are put into defense to better take physical attacks.

The moves are pretty self-explanatory. Sludge bomb/wave looks nice to punish Bulu switch ins, but scald and toxic do that already. You can also use knock off over toxic; I think its other 3 moves are worth keeping.

I don't think Seismitoad is all that viable, but if you want to use it, here's a decent set I put together:

Seismitoad @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 84 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Rocky helmet punishes u-turn, which is especially useful since you can block Koko's volt switch. Leftovers can be used for longevity if you aren't concerned about u-turn spam. Max HP, 84 SpD, and a calm nature allow you to avoid the 2HKO from specs Greninja's dark pulse prior to transformation; post-transformation, it has a chance to 2HKO max SpD sets, so it isn't a viable check at that point. The speed EVs allow you to outspeed adamant Mawile with 252 speed EVs. You shouldn't switch Seismitoad in on it, but Mawile has few reliable switch ins, so you'll want to outspeed it if it comes in on Seismitoad. The rest of the EVs are put into defense to better take physical attacks.

The moves are pretty self-explanatory. Sludge bomb/wave looks nice to punish Bulu switch ins, but scald and toxic do that already. You can also use knock off over toxic; I think its other 3 moves are worth keeping.
Thanks, and I think seismitoad is a great check for heatran and I get rocks up too. Someone recommended me to use it on discord, and it works pretty well for me. I feel like it's actually good enough to be on the VR, and it has picked up some usage recently, too, so I'm not the only one that thinks it's good!

Thanks, and I think seismitoad is a great check for heatran and I get rocks up too. Someone recommended me to use it on discord, and it works pretty well for me. I feel like it's actually good enough to be on the VR, and it has picked up some usage recently, too, so I'm not the only one that thinks it's good!
If you feel it should be on the VR, feel free to make your case in the VR thread; just be sure to read and follow the rules. Personally, I think Seismitoad is almost entirely outclassed by Gastrodon. The only thing Seismitoad has over Gastrodon is stealth rock, whereas the latter has much more impressive bulk and recover, which allows it to check cm Blace, Ash-Greninja, and other threatening special attackers.

im just now getting back into mons and playing recently ive seen quite the selection of stall teams on the ladder. these all seem like common-ish teams and ive seen them all at least a few times:

a stall with heatran, gliscor and mega scizor
what looks like a newer version of the oras weavile stall, but with gliscor
a stall with magearna and hippowdon
some avalugg+moltres stall

does anyone have a copypaste for these teams? i need them for uhhh... building against them

im just now getting back into mons and playing recently ive seen quite the selection of stall teams on the ladder. these all seem like common-ish teams and ive seen them all at least a few times:

a stall with heatran, gliscor and mega scizor
what looks like a newer version of the oras weavile stall, but with gliscor
a stall with magearna and hippowdon
some avalugg+moltres stall

does anyone have a copypaste for these teams? i need them for uhhh... building against them
I don't have any of those teams, but I can help. The Avalugg + Moltres hazard control core is beat by Diancie-M, which also beats Sableye. Keep in mind that moonblast hits Avalugg harder than diamond storm. This is important not just for the obvious fact of doing more damage, but for conserving pp. Moonblast also 2HKOs most Gliscor variants, and HP fire can be used for Scizor. Running all 3 of those attacks and stealth rock means that you can't have protect though. You really want stealth rock, as this is the point of having a 'mon that beats hazard control Pokemon. It turns 2HKOs into 3HKOs, especially for the likes of Avalugg and Moltres.

The strategy dex has entries for these Pokemon as well, so be sure to check them out. This is includes Avalugg, which may surprise some people, but is on the VR, after all.

I've been having trouble using Pyukumuku as of late, because it is very reliant on block to do anything. This reliance not only gives it 4MSS; it also makes block very predictable, meaning the opponent will almost always switch to a check, like Toxapex (which has too much pp in haze to be pp stalled, and is immune to toxic). Naturally, one would do this even if Pyukumuku didn't have block; if you're in an unfavorable matchup, you switch to a check. You can't even do much in prediction, as you can't punish the Pokemon that check Pyukumuku with Pyukumuku. Switching is not only risky in some cases, but also unrewarding.

Perhaps I'm using a poor Pyukumuku set? I have the obligatory recover and block, as well as spite and toxic. The latter quickly wears down most Pokemon, while spite deals with substitute and Pokemon immune to toxic. Is there a set that can better deal with switch ins, without compromising Pyukumuku's ability to check several Pokemon? I've used spite sets without toxic before, but you can only pp stall one Pokemon before running out of spite pp, so in matches where you need Pyukumuku for more than one 'mon, you lose. I'd like to use soak+toxic to punish switch ins like Toxapex and Ferrothorn, but without spite, you can't beat setup sweepers like sub Keldeo and Kommo-o.

I guess it's worth noting that block prevents switch ins from doubling, but with only 8pp, it's not possible to take advantage of. This is further made problematic by volt-turn.

I've been having trouble using Pyukumuku as of late, because it is very reliant on block to do anything. This reliance not only gives it 4MSS; it also makes block very predictable, meaning the opponent will almost always switch to a check, like Toxapex (which has too much pp in haze to be pp stalled, and is immune to toxic). Naturally, one would do this even if Pyukumuku didn't have block; if you're in an unfavorable matchup, you switch to a check. You can't even do much in prediction, as you can't punish the Pokemon that check Pyukumuku with Pyukumuku. Switching is not only risky in some cases, but also unrewarding.

Perhaps I'm using a poor Pyukumuku set? I have the obligatory recover and block, as well as spite and toxic. The latter quickly wears down most Pokemon, while spite deals with substitute and Pokemon immune to toxic. Is there a set that can better deal with switch ins, without compromising Pyukumuku's ability to check several Pokemon? I've used spite sets without toxic before, but you can only pp stall one Pokemon before running out of spite pp, so in matches where you need Pyukumuku for more than one 'mon, you lose. I'd like to use soak+toxic to punish switch ins like Toxapex and Ferrothorn, but without spite, you can't beat setup sweepers like sub Keldeo and Kommo-o.

I guess it's worth noting that block prevents switch ins from doubling, but with only 8pp, it's not possible to take advantage of. This is further made problematic by volt-turn.
As far I know, Toxic is used alongside Soak instead of Spite to bypass the target's typing (works best against passive Steels like Mega Aggron & SD Mega Scizor). If you're using Spite, either Rest or Purify can help out Stalling out a lot of targets that rely on Toxic, like Gliscor, Sp. Def. Heatran, and opposing Pyukumuku (if you happen to fight against), or if you're brave enough, Taunt let's you win against Toxapex at the PP Stall battle, but it isn't as useful as other tools Pyuku has.

As far I know, Toxic is used alongside Soak instead of Spite to bypass the target's typing (works best against passive Steels like Mega Aggron & SD Mega Scizor). If you're using Spite, either Rest or Purify can help out Stalling out a lot of targets that rely on Toxic, like Gliscor, Sp. Def. Heatran, and opposing Pyukumuku (if you happen to fight against), or if you're brave enough, Taunt let's you win against Toxapex at the PP Stall battle, but it isn't as useful as other tools Pyuku has.
Thanks, I would just like to point out that purify cures the opponent's poison, not your own. So I'd probably use taunt or rest, I guess.

Scyther, Kabutops, Gengar and Tyranitar are my favorite pokemon and I want to make them work somehow.

Who shall get the last 2 spots? I was considering Celebi, Garchomp, Tapu Koko, ferrothorn, Gliscor, Heatran, Mew, Magnezone, Kommo-o....

I was thinking of playing them:
Kabutops (M) @ (?) --> Spinner
Ability: Weak Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

Scyther (M) @ Choice Band ---> Revengekiller
Ability: Technician
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Brick Break

Tyranitar (M) @ Weakness Policy ----> physical sweeper
Ability: Sandstorm
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Gengar-Mega (M) @ Gengarite ----> special sweeper
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Icy Wind

Thank you in advance

Scyther, Kabutops, Gengar and Tyranitar are my favorite pokemon and I want to make them work somehow.

Who shall get the last 2 spots? I was considering Celebi, Garchomp, Tapu Koko, ferrothorn, Gliscor, Heatran, Mew, Magnezone, Kommo-o....

I was thinking of playing them:
Kabutops (M) @ (?) --> Spinner
Ability: Weak Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

Scyther (M) @ Choice Band ---> Revengekiller
Ability: Technician
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Brick Break

Tyranitar (M) @ Weakness Policy ----> physical sweeper
Ability: Sandstorm
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Gengar-Mega (M) @ Gengarite ----> special sweeper
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Icy Wind

Thank you in advance
Honestly, it would be difficult to build a team with those Pokémon as not only are half of them unviable, but they also don't synergize and cover each other's weaknesses as well.

For Kabutops, giving it Stealth Rock would greatly help your team. I would replace Liquidation, but if you want to hit Pokémon like Heatran and Magearna harder, Stone Edge or Aqua Jet could be replaced. Swift Swim is also an option with a Z-Move since your team struggles against rain.

For Scyther, Quick Attack could be placed instead of Knock Off if you are using a Choice Band set and want it to be a "revenge killer" as its speed is too low. You could also try a Scarf set, but its STAB is so awful that you won't be killing anything. Don't worry about losing the utility of Knock Off as U-Turn is enough utility for a Choice set. I honestly don't know what to do with this Pokémon as it is hopelessly outclassed by many Pokémon, but the best you can do is play around its good speed and attack and access to U-Turn. You could try a Swords Dance Z-Move set, but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

For Tyranitar, if you want to try a Weakness Policy set, Rock Polish would be a good move to have to prevent it from taking out one Pokémon and get revenged after. But I highly recommend using Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar instead if you want a sweeper. Also get rid of Pursuit and Superpower as they are useless on a sweeping set and replace it with Earthquake or Ice Punch. Pursuit and Superpower are good options on a Choice Band set though.

Mega Gengar is banned, so if you plan to use regular Gengar, I recommend a Specs set with Trick and/or Thunderbolt to cripple Pokémon that wall your team like Celesteela and Toxapex. It would need lots of prediction though.

Your team is very weak to Koko and Greninja, so a Pokémon like Tangrowth would help cover them up and greatly helps against rain too. Kartana would also be an issue as only Gengar could revenge it, so watch out for Scarf variants. Magearna is also a huge problem, so you would want another Magearna check like Heatran or Volcarona as Tangrowth may not be enough. Stallbreaker Heatran also helps with the stall matchup.

There are plenty of other threats that I haven't mentioned, but they could be dealt with by either outspeeding them with Scyther or Gengar (like Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu or Medicham) or by tanking a hit and hitting them back harder (Volcarona, Kyurem-B, Serperior). You just have to be careful about managing the health of some of your Pokémon so that you could check the specific Pokémon. For stall teams, Gengar is your best way of dealing with them, but Specs Gengar is very prediction reliant and both Taunt and Specs Gengar can be chipped down if it's your only way of dealing with stall. Again, having a Heatran would greatly help the stall matchup.

I was wondering what the best ghost type is to use in OU, because as far as that typing goes I only know mons that are kinda viable but actually trash.

I was wondering what the best ghost type is to use in OU, because as far as that typing goes I only know mons that are kinda viable but actually trash.
Blacephalon is viable as a choice sweeper or set-up Z-move sweeper. Gengar is somewhat viable as well, but only barely. Mimikyu can work as a soft check to a lot of things on hyper offense teams although the mon itself is rather underwhelming. Marowak-A on Trick Room teams is good, but only there, and Mega-Sableye is decent on stall.

Only one of these is OU (Blacephalon), and it's ranked at C+ in viability. Sableye-M is ranked higher in viability but just isn't used much nowadays.

Blacephalon is viable as a choice sweeper or set-up Z-move sweeper. Gengar is somewhat viable as well, but only barely. Mimikyu can work as a soft check to a lot of things on hyper offense teams although the mon itself is rather underwhelming. Marowak-A on Trick Room teams is good, but only there, and Mega-Sableye is decent on stall.

Only one of these is OU (Blacephalon), and it's ranked at C+ in viability. Sableye-M is ranked higher in viability but just isn't used much nowadays.
thx dog, I knew ghost was trash in OU

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
1. Is ditto not affected by sticky web?
2. Does ditto copy hawlucha’s (post-unburden) speed when it transforms?
3. Does metronome reset when the attack misses?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)