Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Good old percussive maintenance never fails.

The Japanese trailer showed something interesting though. Could be just some cosmetic flair for the stadium-things (I forgot how they're calling them in SnS) but wasn't there a move where Sirfetch'd was slicing through its opponent with cherry blossoms falling on the background?

What if we're getting another sword fighting move?
I think that could have been Retaliate. Or at least there was already a move with that animation.

But it could be its signature move, of course.

I really like Sirfetch'd and its reveal, and especially the Japanese trailer; but I almost feel bad that I'm focusing on "oh my god yes Escavalier is back!!!"

This was shaping up to be an all-star roster for Gen 5 and all it was missing was its fantastic array of bugs. And now we've gotten arguable proof that not just Escavalier, but also Accelgor is back. Good time to be a Unova fan.

Well the reveal of Sirfetch'd asks more questions than it answers (for the sake of building hype and curiousity, that's a good thing).

- Are Farfetch'd in Galar regional variants, or just Kanto forms that learned to evolve?
- Why didn't they confirm or show Farfetch'd at all?
- Is this a soft introduction of regionally exclusive evolutions?
- What's the method of evolution? The description is vague and obviously not the practical method.
- Is Farfetch'd Sword exclusive, hence Sirfetch'd being exclusive by proxy, or does Farfetch'd only evolve in Pokemon Sword (*groans* much like Lycanroc's game exclusive forms)
- Sooo what does Shield get?

Well the reveal of Sirfetch'd asks more questions than it answers (for the sake of building hype and curiousity, that's a good thing).

- Are Farfetch'd in Galar regional variants, or just Kanto forms that learned to evolve?
- Why didn't they confirm or show Farfetch'd at all?
- Is this a soft introduction of regionally exclusive evolutions?
- What's the method of evolution? The description is vague and obviously not the practical method.
- Is Farfetch'd Sword exclusive, hence Sirfetch'd being exclusive by proxy, or does Farfetch'd only evolve in Pokemon Sword (*groans* much like Lycanroc's game exclusive forms)
- Sooo what does Shield get?
1) The wording implies Farfetch'd itself does not have a regional form.
2) Maybe because of the previous point.
3) Gen VII already had them. Alolan Raichu, Marowak and Exeggutor evolved from non-Alolan forms.
4) Level up, maybe?
5) I assume it's just that Farfetch'd would only appear in Sword, but who knows?
6) There was a Galarian Meowth mentioned in the leak. Could be that.

1) The wording implies Farfetch'd itself does not have a regional form.
2) Maybe because of the previous point.
3) Gen VII already had them. Alolan Raichu, Marowak and Exeggutor evolved from non-Alolan forms.
4) Level up, maybe?
5) I assume it's just that Farfetch'd would only appear in Sword, but who knows?
6) There was a Galarian Meowth mentioned in the leak. Could be that.
re: point 3, if Farfetch'd only evolve in Galar, what does that mean for Sirfetch'd moving forward? Pikachu evolves into something no matter what.

Lucky Meowth for nabbing yet another form, poor Persian (Alolan Persian was...cruel). I wonder if they're making all these cross gen evolutions tied to regional variants then? A regional variant of Farfetch'd just so it can evolve seems a little pointless to me. It's always been one of those Pokemon that people beg for an evolution of anyway, it'll just make original Farfetch'd even more worthless.

Hmm...you know, normally people would scoff at hyper beam esque moves but gen 7 and max moves have taught me they all have a place. The Max Move variant will turn into an extremely powerful fighting type attack that boosts its attack, so its not we should just discard it by virtue.
If this signature move is Fighting-type, then it can be used as an Attack booster when Dynamaxed.
The only reason Sirfetch'd would use its signature move is if Game Freak doesn't give it Close Combat or Superpower. They're only slightly weaker (comparing Z-move strengths, 190 instead of 200), and are actually usable outside of Dynamaxing.

Eh, I wouldn't write off Sirfetch'd just yet.

Sure, the low HP really hurts, but between the movepool and possible access to Stick it could be a pretty good mon.

Of course, it all depends on what Fighting moves it gets and its stats, but since it's a clear evolution, I'm going out on a limb and assume it'll actually have a BST increase.

Farfetch’d is a Little Cup mon now.

As for Sirfetch’d, kind of disappointed that it’s Sword-exclusive because I plan to buy Shield (Tyranitar <3), but I’ll probably just make a First Impression Farfetch’d in Ultra Sun or something and transfer it over whenever I’m allowed to do so ingame. Not entirely sure on nature, though, so I’ll probably make a few depending on its future role in the metagame: Adamant, Jolly, Impish, and Careful. I’m including some defensive natures, as well, because it’ll also have Roost thanks to its pre-evo which is FANTASTIC for the Fighting-type!

The rough conditions of nature in Galar led to Galarian Zig line and Silfetch'd. How do you think they would implement a way for us, as trainers, to notice this rougher wild situation? Or do you think they'll not touch on that even though it's on the flavor text of two real well received new evos?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I'm a bit quicker off the mark with the dex size update! Let's see what we got ourselves today.

Kanto - 45 (44 original, 1 regional variant) (+1)
Johto - 24 (15 original, 5 cross-gen evolutions, 4 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Hoenn - 28 (25 original, 2 regional variants, 1 cross-gen pre-evolution)
Sinnoh - 31 (19 original, 9 cross-gen evolutions, 3 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Unova - 52 (all original) (+2)
Kalos - 23 (22 original, 1 cross-gen evolution)
Alola - 20 (all original)
Galar - 20 (18 original, 2 cross-gen evolutions) (+1)
Total - 243 (+4)

Percentages (Rounded down) (Not doing % of overall regional dex this time b/c it's tedious and too little has been added):
Kanto - 29% of Kanto mons
Johto - 24% of Johto mons
Hoenn - 20% of Hoenn mons
Sinnoh - 28% of Sinnoh mons
Unova - 34% of Unova mons
Kalos - 32% of Kalos mons
Alola - 22% of Alola mons

Unova's officially the leader! The more of their mons are revealed, the more hilarious the initial fearmongering over their dex getting the shaft becomes.

As for Sirfetch'd itself: I love it. The mere concept of a Farfetch'd evolution would be enough to entice me, but it being such a radical change type-wise is the cherry on top. A pure Fighting with moves like Roost, First Impression, U-turn and Defog sounds so cool! With that said, I find it curious that it seems as if there is no Galarian Farfetch'd to precede it. The description of how it evolves (by going through many battles) is also vague enough to not really justify or require it to be a region-specific form. Have GF at least partially shook off their fears over standard cross-gen evolutions and given us one? Remember, this isn't a regional variant of an already existing evolution like Marowak, this is basically a new mon in GF's eyes. Also, he's Sword exclusive, huh? Guess I'm getting that game then. Or maybe I might pick Shield for Bea. The exclusives are making it hard to choose for me this time around!

Very interesting that only the sword logo shows up. If its only for sword, what does ahield get?
Delibird evolution or I go sicko mode.

The rough conditions of nature in Galar led to Galarian Zig line and Silfetch'd. How do you think they would implement a way for us, as trainers, to notice this rougher wild situation? Or do you think they'll not touch on that even though it's on the flavor text of two real well received new evos?
Well, you can kind of notice with how the Wild Area works.

At least in one of the vids, dude walked a bit after seeing basic mons like Wingull and ran into a Machoke.

I guess that would explain these new evos if the ecosystem is set up like that and the trainers can experience it by just getting rekt if they wind up in a section with stronger wilds.

Well, you can kind of notice with how the Wild Area works.

At least in one of the vids, dude walked a bit after seeing basic mons like Wingull and ran into a Machoke.

I guess that would explain these new evos if the ecosystem is set up like that and the trainers can experience it by just getting rekt if they wind up in a section with stronger wilds.
That's something I'm hopeful about. In BoTW and The Witcher 3, for example, you can roam anywhere, and run to the hills (or die) if you end up wandering into the wrong area. Then, you can get back to it and kill the monsters you couldn't kill before.

I hope that's why we have the autosave feature, to quick restart from your previous spot, and the Wild Area is actually Wild, with areas filled with stronger Pokémon.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
That's something I'm hopeful about. In BoTW and The Witcher 3, for example, you can roam anywhere, and run to the hills (or die) if you end up wandering into the wrong area. Then, you can get back to it and kill the monsters you couldn't kill before.

I hope that's why we have the autosave feature, to quick restart from your previous spot, and the Wild Area is actually Wild, with areas filled with stronger Pokémon.
They have said that trainers can go wherever they want but will be stopped by strong pokemon- this could be read in 3 ways, with it either being a standard roadblock (Blegh), just battles that are too hard (you could just try to catch that wild TTar tho so this sounds busted) or perhaps they set a catching level cap with each badge so this can be avoided. Hopefully you can explore anywhere regardless

I loved this mon. I believe It could be useful because we're getting the dexit situation, so a smaller meta could be beneficial for a bulky supportive fighting type. It feels like a excavalier with defog and roost.

But it's reveal made me think a little more about the Affleck Leak: probably we got a promotional material, not a leak.

Acctually, I don't believe in leaks at all, and the spaceworld demo being released with a farfetch'd evo data (almost 20 years after it's Showcase) and now Sirfetch'd being revealed...

To me, there is some evidence to believe that GameFreak and Pokémon Company learned about the 7th gen overexposing before the launch, and are building up a huge hype around this gen, clouding a lot of information and keeping the entire community talking about the game for months, even with restricted material tô talk about.

Maybe because of the controversy around the dexit, maybe it's because they are building a new strategy of marketing. Anyway, it has been one of the best game teasing i've ever seen. Perfect for a 20+ years old franchise.

They have said that trainers can go wherever they want but will be stopped by strong pokemon- this could be read in 3 ways, with it either being a standard roadblock (Blegh), just battles that are too hard (you could just try to catch that wild TTar tho so this sounds busted) or perhaps they set a catching level cap with each badge so this can be avoided. Hopefully you can explore anywhere regardless
Bruh, I'd be going full Metal Gear to nab all the TMs in the Wild Area asap.

Huh, I actually look forward to that.

Man Sirfetch'd sure has a lot of answers for his new typing. Poison jab for fairies, knock off and first impression for psychics, night ladh for ghosts...ironically the main weakness he doesnt cover is Flying.

He also some strange support moves like Simple Beam and helping hand. With all the boosting of max moves, maybe a role in Doubles is the birds future

I'm a bit quicker off the mark with the dex size update! Let's see what we got ourselves today.

Kanto - 45 (44 original, 1 regional variant) (+1)
Johto - 24 (15 original, 5 cross-gen evolutions, 4 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Hoenn - 28 (25 original, 2 regional variants, 1 cross-gen pre-evolution)
Sinnoh - 31 (19 original, 9 cross-gen evolutions, 3 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Unova - 52 (all original) (+2)
Kalos - 23 (22 original, 1 cross-gen evolution)
Alola - 20 (all original)
Galar - 20 (18 original, 2 cross-gen evolutions) (+1)
Total - 243 (+4)

Percentages (Rounded down) (Not doing % of overall regional dex this time b/c it's tedious and too little has been added):
Kanto - 29% of Kanto mons
Johto - 24% of Johto mons
Hoenn - 20% of Hoenn mons
Sinnoh - 28% of Sinnoh mons
Unova - 34% of Unova mons
Kalos - 32% of Kalos mons
Alola - 22% of Alola mons

Unova's officially the leader! The more of their mons are revealed, the more hilarious the initial fearmongering over their dex getting the shaft becomes.

As for Sirfetch'd itself: I love it. The mere concept of a Farfetch'd evolution would be enough to entice me, but it being such a radical change type-wise is the cherry on top. A pure Fighting with moves like Roost, First Impression, U-turn and Defog sounds so cool! With that said, I find it curious that it seems as if there is no Galarian Farfetch'd to precede it. The description of how it evolves (by going through many battles) is also vague enough to not really justify or require it to be a region-specific form. Have GF at least partially shook off their fears over standard cross-gen evolutions and given us one? Remember, this isn't a regional variant of an already existing evolution like Marowak, this is basically a new mon in GF's eyes. Also, he's Sword exclusive, huh? Guess I'm getting that game then. Or maybe I might pick Shield for Bea. The exclusives are making it hard to choose for me this time around!

Delibird evolution or I go sicko mode.
Unova should be plus 4 not plus 2, Escavalier requires Shelmet, and thus Accelgor, to evolve.

Also, [Sirfetch'd]'s Sword exclusive, huh? Guess I'm getting that game then. Or maybe I might pick Shield for Bea. The exclusives are making it hard to choose for me this time around!
Good news! Bea is the Sword exclusive gym leader, so you can get both Sirfetch'd and Bea! In fact, those version exclusives and typings have lead some to speculate that if Sirfetch'd were on Bea's team, then perhaps the counterpart would be on Sheild-exclusive Alister's team. However, Game Freak doesn't seem to care all that much for a sense of symmetry in version exclusives these days (*cough* totem Kommo-o vs totem Ribombee), so who knows. Similarly, although people are speculating that the counterpart might be Meowth, others have pointed out that if the Affleck leaker knew of Sirfetch'd because he was playing sword, he may not have seen the counterpart unless a trainer has it, so it's hard to say.

I was certainly hoping for a more than just Sirfetch'd, so fingers crossed that the speculation about more Rotom glitches comes true and we get a few more frequent reveals this way. I know lots of people are enjoying how stingy GF is being with reveals this time around, but I so far while I like several of the designs of the revealed mons, I feel less excited than during SM's reveal period because only Corviknight really resonates with me as a team member so far (accounting already for the other obvious reason for deflated enthusiasm ;). I hope this sense of surprise later is worth it :P (j/k, the game will inevitably get datamined before I get my hands on it and I will fail to avoid leaks anyways :mehowth: )

So, as many of us suspected, it's indeed Sirfetch'd. I like the design and it shows so much personality, that's quite a nice change from its pre-evolution. But when I think about it, it gaining this form only after intense battles might actually make sense if you consider that Farfetch are rare and a delicatesse if I recall right. Or was that just in the anime? I don't know.

Anyway, maybe we'll learn more about Sirfetch'd in the game. According to the PokéDex, Farfetch'd don't seem to have an easy life since they rely heavily on their Stick, which doesn't grow everywhere. I wonder if the item would affect Sirfetch'd as well. Odds are it might get a new item.. I mean the stick looks quite different from Farfetch'd's one.

As for other things we learned from the trailer, while I'm not quite happy about the low hp and signature move, there is some hope that the bird has something for us in store. Maybe, Steadfast or a new ability might allow a Pkm to not charge again after using a move such as Giga Impact. This would allow Sirfetch to use its Meteor Assault without any negative consequences. STAB + Choice Band sound terrifying as it would turn Sirfetch'd into quite a wallbreaker.

If Sirfetch'd does have to charge after using its signature move, I wonder if its attack has any special effects? Maybe, it can go through Protect and bypass Shell Armor? Or maybe, it's a priority move since it has to charge with great speed?

On another note, Meteor Assault could be also shared by Escavalier! Just look at its lances. It would be definitely a nice addition to it since it lacks a good Fighting move. Imagine Dynamax Escavalier under Trick Room with such a reliable boost! *shudder*

Back to Sirfetch'd. It does seem to be more bulky, but unless GF invest a lot into its defenses, Sirfetch'd would still be somewhat frail. However, it has a shield. Maybe, after using Meteor Assault, it will go into a defense mode where any move against it would only do half damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)